The N'Orleans Muffeletta

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/02/29 20:41:08 (permalink)
I want that. Why am I in V-a when I could be in NOLA?

Oh, that's right. I have to work tomorrow!

NBC-us,

Lynne
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/02/29 22:13:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

Headed to NOLA in late March... Already have a Ferdi from Mother's, an oyster loaf at Casamento's, and a Roast Beef Po-Boy at Domilise's on the agenda. May have to add a Muff for the Po-Boy/Muffelleta/Oyster Loaf NOLA sandwich trifecta...

Pogo,
Don't do without the Calas at The Coffee Pot in the Quarter. This is French Toast like none you've ever had before nor ever will have again. I haven't tried it, but I have spies who've been my advance guards, as it were.
There are also a few places serving the old Pain Perdu ("Lost Bread") in the city: Dooky Chase on Orleans Avenue is a leading contender for where to try that.
An' you GOTTA go to Uglesich's on Baronne Street!
Plus, if you want a late night meal, hit The Camelia Grill on Carrollton, right where the streetcar turns from St. Charles.
As for a good breakfast place, you'll never beat The Hummingbird on St. Charles. It looks like Skid Row, but it's really good and perfectly safe anytime.
Gracious, y'all making me HONGRY again....
Crescentially, Ort. Carlton in Warmer Yet Athens, Georgia.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7027
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/01 12:33:37 (permalink)
Ort. has spies?
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/01 13:46:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Ort. has spies?

I'd bet Ort has a whole passel of spies...
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/01 13:50:22 (permalink)
BTW, last time I was in NOLA, I got an all-debris Po-Boy at Mothers. Interesting experience to say the least, but I'd recommend not going that route -- it's a bit much. But as a topping for other roasted meats, all I can say is wow!
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7027
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/01 14:12:20 (permalink)
quote:

BTW, last time I was in NOLA, I got an all-debris Po-Boy at Mothers. Interesting experience to say the least, but I'd recommend not going that route -- it's a bit much. But as a topping for other roasted meats, all I can say is wow!

Debris is quite good on the John G.! I don't think I could handle an all-debris but then I couldn't handle the soft-shell crab po'boy I was last served there. Wimped out on the second half and ate the crab out of it and left the bread and fixin's behind.

What do Ort.'s spies look like? Has anyone actually seen one?
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/01 14:53:59 (permalink)
quote:

None who lived to tell the tale...
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/01 15:06:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

AMEN! The bread is great, the cold cuts are excellent, but this, I believe is the secret: the most wonderful olive salad on earth.

STOP!(photo of stop sign) Picture not found. Is any one else getting these when Michael posts photos?? It's frustrating. I wanna see!
angelfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/01 17:38:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

AMEN! The bread is great, the cold cuts are excellent, but this, I believe is the secret: the most wonderful olive salad on earth.

STOP!(photo of stop sign) Picture not found. Is any one else getting these when Michael posts photos?? It's frustrating. I wanna see!

The same thing is happening to me.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2314
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/01 18:04:09 (permalink)
Pogo,
when are you going to NOLA? I may be heading that way in a few weeks, on a short road trip.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/01 20:45:47 (permalink)
Hey PP! I'll be down there 3/25 - 3/28... You?
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2314
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/01 23:00:47 (permalink)
We should talk. I'm hoping to take a few days off before the pool season hits. I've been thinking about going to NOLA or Gatlinburg. NOLA has better food, Gatlinburg has better hiking trails.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/02 09:34:30 (permalink)
Definitely. I'll email you tonight...
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3308
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/04 13:30:38 (permalink)
quote:

Hey PP! I'll be down there 3/25 - 3/28... You?

Catch the Camellia Grill on Carrollton & St. Charles for grilled pecan pie ala mode. They make a good cheeseburger and malt too.
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/08 08:42:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by M&M

The following recipe is from The Best of New Orleans (Collins Publishers, 1994) by Brooke Dojny and has always resulted in an authentic Central Grocery taste for me.

Olive salad: 1 3oz. jar pimiento-stuffed green olives sliced
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 large tomato,seeded & coarsely chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Assemble: 1 round loaf of Italian breat with sesame seed
2 oz. thinly sliced baked ham
2 oz. thinly sliced Genoa salami
2 oz. siced provolone
2 oz. mozzarella
Generous helping of olive salad

I always lightly toast the bread after dabbing with olive oil. This keeps bread from getting soggy. And, if I may throw in a pitch for a home town meat purveyor, use Volpi salami (Central Grocery in New Orleans does I am told). Or, if you happen to be in St. Louis take a trip to "The Hill"(the City's Italian section) and eat a muffaleta at Viviano's. Every bit as good as Central.

M&M, OK, I'm going to try this version for a wine tasting party this weekend (I'll bring a robust red). There'll be three couples for a heavy hors d'oeurve meal. It was requested I bring my superbowl sandwich noted on page one, but I thought I'd give this a try.

Is this recipe for one sandwich (looks like it to me)? How big is the bread? What I've seen on tv, the bread looks about 6" in diameter.I can get something like that at the Colombus Bakery in Syracuse. Just trying to work out proportions. Hope you can help me out
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/03/15 09:59:26 (permalink)
Well...the sandwiches were a big hit. I went to Lombardi's in Syracuse for the meats and cheeses, Colombus Bakery for the bread. The bread was bigger than I remembered so I tripled the recipe, used two loaves of bread, and cut it pizza style.

I modified the recipe slightly by addding a clove of garlic, chopped basil and cutting the oil and vinegar. As I was mixing a triple batch, 3/4 cup of olive oil seemed too much so I only doubled the oil and vinegar, (it was plenty sloppy). I also addded some spicey soppresseta to the meats, half the volume of the other meats.

This is now a permanent fixture at our house, great eats, thanks!!!!!
camomia
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/05/24 17:28:52 (permalink)
My whole family is from NO and I spent every summer there up until my early 20's...I miss the food there!!! We lived on po boys and baked macaroni from Rocky's!!My mom was in charge of my HS graduation ball and the theme was the French Quarter...mufeletta sandwiches for everyone!! Nobody new what they were(NJ high school)but, for me it was a pleasant surprise!!!I cant wait to use this info to make one for mom and surprise her!! Jenn
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/07/07 02:32:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
When I ventured down to Crescent City in the mid-1990's, I thought the Progress half-sandwich I ate beat out the Central half-one, if only by a hair. It'll be fun to return and compare notes a second time. All I need is a suitable companion: that city is too much for a lone traveler to keep to him/herself.
Trout sandwich at Casamento's? Pshaw, I ain't NEVER gonna lose no weight visitin' N'Awlins. I just had a shepherd's pie omelette at The Normaltown Cafe', and y'all making me HONGRY all over th'again!
Warding Away The Spells, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Is 522 Miles From Lake Ponchartrain (Which May Well Qualify As The World's Largest Mudpuddle!).
P. S. Where's Mayhaw Man been? Has anyone heard from him? He stay down by the Abita Springs somewhere.

Forget it! One of life's great tragedies is the fact that the Progress Grocery is history. When I visited last January I found it gutted and the storefront "under construction". I asked the construction crew it they were just remodeling the Progress, but they assured me the Progress was gone for good.

So you got one choice for the definitive muffaletta now (other places make 'em, but these two claimed to have invented 'em)--the Central.

Now I gotta tell MY muffaletta story. I like to go to NO by Amtrak and I always get a muffaletta to take with me on the train when I leave. Generally it fumigates the entire car--no vampires need approach! I don't know if the other passengers appreciate that delightful smell, but I nibble on that sandwich for nearly 1000 miles.

By the way--no, I'm not sure if I put the right number of f's, l's and t's in that word. Doesn't change how yummy is the sandwich.
paul and louise
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/07/08 20:28:50 (permalink)
progress grocery became "luigi's"
we were there a couple of septembers ago
"mo better mo cheaper"
is luigi's now gone also, or is the property being renovated?[|)]
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/07/08 21:25:00 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Dearfolk,
This answer is overdue, I know, but I missed it the first time around. My spies must have been asleep at the switch; the freight rumbled through without my knowledge.
Variety is the spies of life. Or so I've scene.
Making Sure You Know, Ort. Carlton in Late-Again Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Lleechef, if you were to have a street named after you in New Orleans, would it be Llee Circlle? (The Hummingbird Hotel Coffee Shop is adjacent, llucky for you!)
P. P. S. I tell people periodically that I live on Sharon Cyrkle. Once I received a postcard addressed to that; someone in the post office had written "Red Rubber Ball" beside the word "Cyrkle." My favorite record by them is "Turn Down Day," followed closely by "Reading Her Paper." The latter is so obscure that only WGOE in Richmond, Virginia had the audacity to play it. I own a well-used U. S. store stock 45 of it.
P. P. P. S. Most of my spies have Slavic accents and always tell people they were sent by "Fearless Leader." Another one of them is pink and extremely suave.
P. P. P. P. S. This has absolutely nothing to do with "I Spy (For The F. B. I.)" by Jamo Thomas, which I finally own a copy of on 45.
P. P. P. P. P. S. Y'all have wanted an Ort.-answer this goofy for awhile. Here's hoping you appreciate it. I return to lurk mode.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/07/09 03:49:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by paul and louise

progress grocery became "luigi's"
we were there a couple of septembers ago
"mo better mo cheaper"
is luigi's now gone also, or is the property being renovated?[|)]

Gosh, I don't know. I was so upset by the absence of the Progress that I'm not sure. I think Luigi's was there but it wasn't in the place where I remembered the Progress being (standing in front looking at the central, Luigi's, if it's there, was to the RIGHT whereas I remembered the Progress being 2 doors to the LEFT). Anyway, I just headed into the Central to EAT away my sorrows.

There are several N.O. natives who post here. Maybe one of them will straighten us out.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/07/09 18:12:57 (permalink)
Tanks for the spy update "Fearless Leader". I am off to look for Moose and Squirrel...
Boris
Kent Daniels
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/07/21 21:23:39 (permalink)
I've never made it to N.O., and what we have in Kansas that passes for a muffaleta is a poor substitute (Schlotzsky's Deli), so I've been making my own for a few years. I bake a sourdough loaf in a 9" cake pan, split it horizontally, slather on some homemade olive salad, stack on some meats and cheese, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours, then slice into wedges. I'm not sure how authentic it is, but I've had houseguests wrapping wedges in napkins and sneaking them into purses or coat pockets.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/07/22 04:07:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Daniels

I've never made it to N.O., and what we have in Kansas that passes for a muffaleta is a poor substitute (Schlotzsky's Deli), so I've been making my own for a few years. I bake a sourdough loaf in a 9" cake pan, split it horizontally, slather on some homemade olive salad, stack on some meats and cheese, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours, then slice into wedges. I'm not sure how authentic it is, but I've had houseguests wrapping wedges in napkins and sneaking them into purses or coat pockets.

Poor substitute indeed. Schlotzky's was one of the great roadfood disappointments in my life. The name is great. The food, worse than mediocre. They wouldn't know real corned beef or pastrami if it rotted in their fridge. And the very thought of what they might call a muffaletta makes me cringe.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2005/01/15 11:21:44 (permalink)
MUFFELETA AND PHILIDELPHIA CHEESE STEAK

Imagine... Sounds like the best of both worlds to me...

http://www.gamecoach.com/2grumpyguys/grumpyguys_recipes_philly.html

http://www.gamecoach.com/2grumpyguys/
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2005/01/23 01:19:09 (permalink)
Sorry to hear about the Progress grocery. The muffaleta was wonderful.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2005/01/23 03:52:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Peachpie9*M*U*F*F*U*L*E*T*T*A* I looked it up. Spelling Nazi-->PP9
I dunno if I'm the spelling Nazi referred to here--more usually I'm the "grammar Nazi" or something more anatomical! In any event, when muffulettas are involved, all bets are off!!
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2005/11/04 19:19:55 (permalink)
quote:

A John G. With Debris has (all roasted in their kitchen, this is not deli meat) roast beef, ham, turkey and DEBRIS! On Po'boy bread. Debris is all the little bits that fall onto the slicer while slicing the meats for the sandwiches. I believe they combine the ham and roast beef bits together. Then mix with gravy and pour on top of the meat. It's wonderful and gooey and the debris runs down the back of your hand and your chin.....but, hey, it's NOLA! One of the real food meccas of the US!!! I WANT ONE NOW!

R U sure thats not the Ferdie?... did it have shredded freash cabbage and mayo on it along with all the above mentioned?
I was just there for a special trip to mothers back in august.. B4 Katrina!
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2005/11/04 20:06:14 (permalink)
Here's a pic of olive salad as mentioned by Mr. Stern at the beginning of this thread:
I found it on p. 3 of http://www.nolacuisine.com/, which I just discovered and which looks delightful!
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2005/11/04 22:53:45 (permalink)
Instead of a "MUFFULETTA"

After the big storm,

Maybe we should be saying

"NUTHINLEFTTA"

No attacks please!

I'm just a funnin.....

Big Glenn
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1