The N'Orleans Muffeletta

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
salembrewer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
2003/03/02 22:38:10 (permalink)

The N'Orleans Muffeletta

Well I've been to New Orleans once, at the tail end of a month long solo Southern sojourn camping road trip. All I can say is the Central Grocery in the French Quarter will lay on one helluva classic dose of La Passionata in a sandwich. The rich cold cuts are complemented beautifully by the pungency of the salty and oily texture of the superior signature olive relish. Just one more shining star from this incredibly culinary galaxy that is New Orleans

61 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/03/03 09:03:34 (permalink)
    AMEN! The bread is great, the cold cuts are excellent, but this, I believe is the secret: the most wonderful olive salad on earth.

M&M
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/03/03 13:14:48 (permalink)
    But have you tried the hot muff'with a Pimm's cup at Napoleon House?
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/03/04 04:42:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by M&M

But have you tried the hot muff'with a Pimm's cup at Napoleon House?

I'm drooling. I haven't had a Pimm's Cup in about ten years. Forgot all about them!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2126
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/03/04 07:56:57 (permalink)
    What is a Pimm's cup? Any relation to the Pimm's liquor?
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/03/04 10:12:39 (permalink)
    Indeed it does. Fill 12oz. glass with ice, pour in 1 1/4 oz Pimm's #1, 3oz lemonaide, top off with 7-Up and garnish with cucumber. See Napoleon House web site at www.napoleonhouse.com
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2126
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/03/04 10:52:19 (permalink)
    Ohhh wow! That is my favorite liquor in the world, and to mix it with such a wonderfull sandwich sounds incredible.

I first discovered Pimms in London a few years back and have been addicted since. I am heading to New Orleans in May and will have to pay a visit.

You can also try 1/3 Pimms and 2/3 Gingerale w/a Cucumber garnish and a decent amount of ice. It's a great treat on those hot summer days.
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/03/04 11:01:51 (permalink)
    Enjoy your stay. M and I will be in that fine city in May for Jazz Fest and we too shall be enjoying a grazing expedition while listening to the music.
    aquivit
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/03/30 19:34:15 (permalink)
    Stop the brainwashing! Central is definately resting on its laurels - packaging a paltry product to tourists lined up out the door instead of a sandwich. Try the mufeletta from the grocery a few doors down on the left. Luckily for me, it was open when Central was closed and I got the most jam-packed olivey, tasty, cheesey, yummy sandwich imaginable. When I returned to CG during operating hours, I was sorely disappointed by the skimpiness and taste of the "real" thing.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/03/31 08:08:13 (permalink)
    Now, now. Let's not be so harsh. The Central is where it started so it deserves a certain amount of reverence even if it has been surpassed by others who built upon the original. There are about a million places that make better cheesesteaks than Pat's but, you have to go there at least once and pay homage. And, if you are truly devoted you will then immeditately go across the street and compare it with Geno's. That's just the way monuments to food work. Next time I go to NO I'll have had the Central as a benchmark and will be better prepared to try others but still appreciate what the Central has bestowed upon us. Now let's all bow our heads and give thanks to olive salad.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/03/31 08:29:15 (permalink)
    I found out I had been making a muffeleta for years and didn't know it. I got a recipe from a friend for an 'italian cold cut picnic sandwhich', which involved making an olive spread w/ anchovies pimentoes, garlic...etc, slatheing it on a peasant loaf, layering cold cuts and cheeze, wrapping and weighing it down overnight to compress it and let the olive juices soak. Its been a hit at our neighborhood super bowl party for years.

I recently saw a show on Food TV that featured muffelettas, and realized its basically the same thing. I'd like to know the traditional ingredients, can someone tell me? Someday I'll have to get to New Orleans to try the real thing.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/03/31 10:55:52 (permalink)
    I don't know for sure but I think you have to use capicola, salami and hmmm- swiss or provolone? and the olive stuff. They are particular about the bread too. At home I use the muffeletta spread from Trader Joe's and sourdough french and whatever deli meat and cheese is in the fridge. I know it may be heresy to some but gets me through the day.
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/03/31 18:46:28 (permalink)
    The following recipe is from The Best of New Orleans (Collins Publishers, 1994) by Brooke Dojny and has always resulted in an authentic Central Grocery taste for me.

Olive salad: 1 3oz. jar pimiento-stuffed green olives sliced
    1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
    1 large tomato,seeded & coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Assemble: 1 round loaf of Italian breat with sesame seed
    2 oz. thinly sliced baked ham
    2 oz. thinly sliced Genoa salami
    2 oz. siced provolone
    2 oz. mozzarella
    Generous helping of olive salad

I always lightly toast the bread after dabbing with olive oil. This keeps bread from getting soggy. And, if I may throw in a pitch for a home town meat purveyor, use Volpi salami (Central Grocery in New Orleans does I am told). Or, if you happen to be in St. Louis take a trip to "The Hill"(the City's Italian section) and eat a muffaleta at Viviano's. Every bit as good as Central.

Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/05/25 12:44:47 (permalink)
    N.O. muffaletas are lifesavers for me. I am in town for a convention every few years, and the choices in the convention center are overpriced nasty food or mall food next door. I like to pick up a muffaleta before heading to the center in the morning. Then I make everyone else jealous at lunch time. Yum!
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/05/26 19:24:07 (permalink)
    We were on our way to Texas on a road trip and scored a central muffeleta for the trip. We had it in the cooler in the back and the smell still came through, that olive salad which has a bit of garlic I understand. You always new someone had fished out a beer by a renewed smell.
    paul and louise
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/05/27 14:28:51 (permalink)
    dude
    i must express an opinion
    i say go down a couple of doors to luigi's [formerly progress groc.]
    it is an entirely different experience
    we had the muff and a bag of zaps, as well as a dixie beer or two
    enjoyed the food immensely
    but, even better we enjoyed the atmosphere and the conversation with
    those fine individuals woking the counter-it was real
    i mean those cats were from down around elesyan fields in the hood
    they were very gracious
    next time in NO i hope to get up the nerve to go on down to GENE'S for a poboy.......
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2003/05/28 21:27:16 (permalink)
    You can buy a jar of the olive spread to take home. A huge jar only lasted me a week. I put it on everything-- eggs, turkey sandwiches, it doesn't matter. The oil permeated everything. I'll go to NO just for that. Well, and beignets and Cassamento's trout sandwich.
    BchBar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/01/07 16:32:20 (permalink)
    A recent trip to New Orleans took me to over a dozen sandwich places. Sorry to say I agree with those who say that the Central has rested on its laurels... the Muff at Luigi's was far better...
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/01/07 17:08:20 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    When I ventured down to Crescent City in the mid-1990's, I thought the Progress half-sandwich I ate beat out the Central half-one, if only by a hair. It'll be fun to return and compare notes a second time. All I need is a suitable companion: that city is too much for a lone traveler to keep to him/herself.
    Trout sandwich at Casamento's? Pshaw, I ain't NEVER gonna lose no weight visitin' N'Awlins. I just had a shepherd's pie omelette at The Normaltown Cafe', and y'all making me HONGRY all over th'again!
    Warding Away The Spells, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Is 522 Miles From Lake Ponchartrain (Which May Well Qualify As The World's Largest Mudpuddle!).
    P. S. Where's Mayhaw Man been? Has anyone heard from him? He stay down by the Abita Springs somewhere.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6825
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/01/07 17:34:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
    When I ventured down to Crescent City in the mid-1990's, I thought the Progress half-sandwich I ate beat out the Central half-one, if only by a hair. It'll be fun to return and compare notes a second time. All I need is a suitable companion: that city is too much for a lone traveler to keep to him/herself.
    Trout sandwich at Casamento's? Pshaw, I ain't NEVER gonna lose no weight visitin' N'Awlins. I just had a shepherd's pie omelette at The Normaltown Cafe', and y'all making me HONGRY all over th'again!
    Warding Away The Spells, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Is 522 Miles From Lake Ponchartrain (Which May Well Qualify As The World's Largest Mudpuddle!).
    P. S. Where's Mayhaw Man been? Has anyone heard from him? He stay down by the Abita Springs somewhere.

Ort., you drive the 500something miles and I'll fly the 5000something miles and I'll meet ya in the Crescent City, ok?! Lunch at Mother's! Oysters at Acme! Muffelettas galore!
    Mayhaw Man is over at eGullet as a forum host for Louisiana. I believe he's still in Abita Springs.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/01/07 20:13:24 (permalink)
    Oh boy !!! I'm heading to NO in May with my girlfriend for her birthday and the first thing I hope to have is a muffeletta !!! I can't wait !!! YUM !
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3301
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/01/15 10:50:14 (permalink)
    My favorite NO eateries: Acme, Mother's, Napoleon's, Gumbo Shop, and Petunias for a banana foster crepe flambe.
    Boji
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/02/28 13:26:13 (permalink)
    On a too-short NO trip I tried a muffuleta & was in heaven! I just HAD TO HAVE some of the wonderful olive salad to take home & try to replicate the sandwich. I bought jars of it to carry onboard the plane even though they were heavy. Never regreted it!! According to the jar from the Progress Grocery(Decatur St in NO), the salad itself is: "Sicilian olives, pickled vegetable mix[cauliflower, carrots, celery & pickles], "regular" celery, olive oil, wine vinegar, garlic & oregano". The sandwich itself uses a crusty loaf of bread with layers of ham, smoked provolone, Genoa salami, mortadella or prosciutto with the olive salad. I've made this delectable delight at home, but it's missing something...guess it's the wonderful atmosphere in the Quarter!!
    Boji
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/02/28 13:27:50 (permalink)
    On a too-short NO trip I tried a muffuleta & was in heaven! I just HAD TO HAVE some of the wonderful olive salad to take home & try to replicate the sandwich. I bought jars of it to carry onboard the plane even though they were heavy. Never regreted it!! According to the jar from the Progress Grocery(Decatur St in NO), the salad itself is: "Sicilian olives, pickled vegetable mix[cauliflower, carrots, celery & pickles], "regular" celery, olive oil, wine vinegar, garlic & oregano". The sandwich itself uses a crusty loaf of bread with layers of ham, smoked provolone, Genoa salami, mortadella or prosciutto with the olive salad. I've made this delectable delight at home, but it's missing something...guess it's the wonderful atmosphere in the Quarter!!
    paul and louise
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/02/28 21:14:27 (permalink)
    mo better
    mo cheaper
    itz luigi's now
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/02/28 21:46:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RC51Mike

I don't know for sure but I think you have to use capicola, salami and hmmm- swiss or provolone? and the olive stuff. They are particular about the bread too. At home I use the muffeletta spread from Trader Joe's and sourdough french and whatever deli meat and cheese is in the fridge. I know it may be heresy to some but gets me through the day.

I just bought some of the Trader's olive spread tonight. I have no apologies, I've only been to NO once and that was during Mardi Gras. I didn't know Central Grocery existed back then.

Lynne
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/02/28 22:21:34 (permalink)
    Headed to NOLA in late March... Already have a Ferdi from Mother's, an oyster loaf at Casamento's, and a Roast Beef Po-Boy at Domilise's on the agenda. May have to add a Muff for the Po-Boy/Muffelleta/Oyster Loaf NOLA sandwich trifecta...
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/02/28 23:19:56 (permalink)
    pogo, get a John G. WITH DEBRIS at Mother's. "Elvis" who greeted us outside the door suggested this for Z. He suggested a soft-shell po'boy for me. We did that. Oh my God. To die for. (We'd already been there before so were willing to take suggestions.......even tho I had my heart set on oyster po'boy). Incredible! Outstanding!
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/02/29 09:37:02 (permalink)
    What would a John G with debris contain?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: The N'Orleans Muffeletta 2004/02/29 16:29:07 (permalink)
    A John G. With Debris has (all roasted in their kitchen, this is not deli meat) roast beef, ham, turkey and DEBRIS! On Po'boy bread. Debris is all the little bits that fall onto the slicer while slicing the meats for the sandwiches. I believe they combine the ham and roast beef bits together. Then mix with gravy and pour on top of the meat. It's wonderful and gooey and the debris runs down the back of your hand and your chin.....but, hey, it's NOLA! One of the real food meccas of the US!!! I WANT ONE NOW!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1