Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Old Patty Melt

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 37
BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
The Old Patty Melt Wed, 11/10/10 8:43 PM (permalink)
I was thinking of some new and old sandwich favorites for my Cafe Grill specials today. I remembered how much I used to enjoy the old Patty Melt. I decided to try one out for old time sake.

I started with two of my Pasture raised Black Angus patties and three slices of onion.

then put on two slices of specialty cheese.

put the whole thing on two pieces of grilled Dill Rye Bread.

then I cut it in half.

Then I ate it like there was not tomorrow, I think this old favorite will be reborn on next weeks menu..........................BillyB

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17800
    Re:The Old Patty Melt Wed, 11/10/10 9:03 PM (permalink)
    That looks mighty good. I love a good patty melt, and haven't had one in a long time.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
      Re:The Old Patty Melt Wed, 11/10/10 10:06 PM (permalink)
      One of the best yet....good job, Chewingthefat, I will definitely order that when/if I ever make it to Emmitsburg

Michael Hoffman

Re:The Old Patty Melt Wed, 11/10/10 10:36 PM (permalink)
        Um, I don't think BillyB has moved to Maryland.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
          Re:The Old Patty Melt Wed, 11/10/10 11:07 PM (permalink)
          Billy, looks great! I was raised on that pasture Angus. And an old time patty melt is one of my favs.
          Joe

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1928
            Re:The Old Patty Melt Wed, 11/10/10 11:53 PM (permalink)
            I'll take an order!  That looks too good.  Just another illustration why chain restaurants are the pits.
            <message edited by MellowRoast on Wed, 11/10/10 11:54 PM>

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
              Re:The Old Patty Melt Thu, 11/11/10 6:33 AM (permalink)
              That's one of my favorite sandwiches BillyB! Looks delicious. I always use Swiss cheese. What kind did you use?

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                Re:The Old Patty Melt Thu, 11/11/10 9:18 AM (permalink)
                That patty melt looks terrific! For some reason some places sure can screw them up. We once stopped at a diner in a small Wisconsin town, on the town  square and busy with locals. I ordered a patty melt. What I got was toasted dark bread, a burger, raw onions and a piece of unmelted cheese. Raw onions kills my stomach so I had to scrap those off  and just grin and bare it through the rest.

BillyB

Re:The Old Patty Melt Thu, 11/11/10 10:02 AM (permalink)
                  agnesrob

That's one of my favorite sandwiches BillyB! Looks delicious. I always use Swiss cheese. What kind did you use?

I always use Swiss also, but I have been using a lot of sliced Swiss on Grilled Reuben's. I bought a 2lb pack of 4 different cheeses at Costco, Havarti, Colby Jack, Cheddar, and Swiss. I used the sliced Havarti and Colby Jack on this sandwich. I really like the 4 pack it comes in it's own resealable package and it's very versatile. I don't like the way a lot of real cheeses melt when heated, this cheese stayed melted and creamy on the grilled sandwich.............Take care.....................BillyB

<message edited by BillyB on Thu, 11/11/10 3:52 PM>

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                    Re:The Old Patty Melt Thu, 11/11/10 11:07 AM (permalink)
                    Give me at least one, 2 if the Redskins are on, and keep the cold beer flowing! Looks fantastic!

BillyB

Re:The Old Patty Melt Thu, 11/11/10 11:37 AM (permalink)
                      chewingthefat

Give me at least one, 2 if the Redskins are on, and keep the cold beer flowing! Looks fantastic!

CTF, I need a Case of cold ones, while watching the Seahawks I have to be drunk.........

seatown76

• Total Posts: 379
                        Re:The Old Patty Melt Thu, 11/11/10 1:06 PM (permalink)
                        Ahhhh yes sometimes I am happy that I am not able to see my Seahawks play all the time here in Wisconsin but having a patty melt like that might make the recent pain go away!

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                          Re:The Old Patty Melt Thu, 11/11/10 1:08 PM (permalink)
                          I have to admit that I have never had a patty melt.  This looks terrific.  I love your choice of bread.
                          <message edited by Greymo on Thu, 11/11/10 3:04 PM>

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                            Re:The Old Patty Melt Thu, 11/11/10 6:12 PM (permalink)
                            Excellent choice of one of my favorite sandwiches.  The pictures are great.  Hmmm...   Wonder how some crisp bacon slices would go with that?

BillyB

Re:The Old Patty Melt Thu, 11/11/10 6:38 PM (permalink)
                              Adjudicator

Excellent choice of one of my favorite sandwiches.  The pictures are great.  Hmmm...   Wonder how some crisp bacon slices would go with that?

How could bacon be wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I could see a light bulb going off in CTF head with the bacon idea, but then again it could be time for a cold one.......................

Buck & Vi's

• Total Posts: 822
                                • Location: dodging,snakes,spiders,roaches, armadillos.opposso
                                Re:The Old Patty Melt Thu, 11/11/10 7:52 PM (permalink)
                                yup i'll be stealing this one billy !!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                  Re:The Old Patty Melt Thu, 11/11/10 8:22 PM (permalink)
                                  That is one good looking sandwich!!!!

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                                    Re:The Old Patty Melt Fri, 11/12/10 7:44 PM (permalink)
                                    I do enjoy a good patty melt, in fact it used to be my "go to" sandwich in an unfamiliar place which didn't have anything that really appealed. There are a few places however that can really screw up a patty melt.

speechpeach

• Total Posts: 239
                                      Re:The Old Patty Melt Sat, 11/13/10 8:38 AM (permalink)
                                      YUM YUM  The bread  looks fantastic, as does the entire sandwich.  Last time I had a patty melt the onions were not cooked enough, the cheese tasted fake and salty, and the bread was really greasy.....(makes mental note to find the variety cheese package when I go to the new Costco near me)

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                                        Re:The Old Patty Melt Sat, 11/13/10 9:16 AM (permalink)
                                        Because of this, I made patty melts for dinner Thursday! They were fantastic, but so, so greasy, I tossed the tater tots; I just couldn't eat anything else.

I added grilled mushrooms to mine. So, it was grilled rye bread, jack and cheddar cheeses, grilled onions and mushrooms.

DougS

• Total Posts: 475
                                          Re:The Old Patty Melt Sat, 11/13/10 9:50 AM (permalink)
                                          The only Patty Melt I ever had was from a Checker's in Port Charlotte Fla. I like your version better. Looks yummy.
                                          Is it customary to not add any sauce of any kind?
                                          (Such as mustard, mayo or ketchup)

BillyB

Re:The Old Patty Melt Sat, 11/13/10 9:56 AM (permalink)
                                            Mosca, I agree on the Grease, I try to watch that myself. My cows are pasture raised and real lean, sometimes I have to add a pat of butter when frying. If you think about it everything is fried on the sandwich, even the bread. If I'm building a sandwich like this I would try tossing the mushrooms on a paper towel before building the sandwich, also pat the sauteed onions a bit..............I like your idea of the sauteed mushrooms,how could that idea not be good.............Thanks BillyB

BillyB

Re:The Old Patty Melt Sat, 11/13/10 10:23 AM (permalink)
                                              DougS

The only Patty Melt I ever had was from a Checker's in Port Charlotte Fla. I like your version better. Looks yummy.
                                              Is it customary to not add any sauce of any kind?
                                              (Such as mustard, mayo or ketchup)

I think your right I was thinking mayo or a dipping sauce with mayo & ketchup or just ketchup. I totaly agree with making the sandwich to my customers liking. I have people asking for sauteed jalapenos on every sandwich, I learned long ago its a lot easier swimming with the current........................I thought about using a sliced Italian bread and making garlic toast with a pesto spread and using on 6oz burger, cheese, sauteed mushroom and onions. I like the idea of a good bread that will hold the weight of the sandwich, I also want a crunch to the bread and then a nice tender, flavorful, melted, juicy ingredients......................BillyB

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                                Re:The Old Patty Melt Sat, 11/13/10 12:12 PM (permalink)
                                                I love patty melts ( Swiss cheese instead of American ) and if you're in northwest Indiana, the place to go for a great one is the Cedar Lake Kitchen on 133rd Ave. in Cedar Lake IN. The place is located about a mile east of US 41, but a replacement building is currently under construction a short distance west of the current location, and it's scheduled to open in March 2011. I'm really going to miss the old building, as it has the look and feel of a classic 1950s roadside restaurant. 

Michael Hoffman

Re:The Old Patty Melt Sat, 11/13/10 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                                  BillyB

I like your idea of the sauteed mushrooms,how could that idea not be good

Well, if one is allergic to mushrooms, as am I ... .

BillyB

Re:The Old Patty Melt Sat, 11/13/10 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                                    Michael Hoffman

BillyB

I like your idea of the sauteed mushrooms,how could that idea not be good

Well, if one is allergic to mushrooms, as am I ... .

Then one would figure, one would tell us to hold the mushrooms. In your case you would say hold the mushroom, I'll take an order of fried clams and a lobster roll instead...........

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4462
                                                      Re:The Old Patty Melt Sat, 11/13/10 1:16 PM (permalink)
                                                      BillyB, Perfect sandwich!

No beer for me please, I'll go with red wine.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                                        • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                        Re:The Old Patty Melt Sun, 11/14/10 5:00 AM (permalink)
                                                        I'll take my sauteed mushrooms on the side.  Make that a large order, please.  

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                                          • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
                                                          Re:The Old Patty Melt Sun, 11/14/10 5:40 AM (permalink)

A patty melt is the best hamburger one can find out there.
                                                          One thing is that there are two slices of Swiss cheese melted on the grilled rye. Many places put a slice of cheese on their basic burgers, whereas with a patty melt, you are guaranteed two slices. I agree with carolina bob that Swiss is essential. A great patty melt has a distinct taste and mouth feel.  From the photo, I think that your presentation does.  

I think that if you are using local pasture raised Black Angus patties, that you would not need or want to distract too much from the basic flavors of the patty melt.  Sort of like when you put too much stuff on a pizza, you lose sight of what the basic thing tastes like. Even on a basic burger, bacon, cheese, grilled onions and sauted mushrooms is a hefty mess. Forget the garnish, no room. You can offer the bacon and the mushrooms as a upcharge...

mark
                                                          <message edited by doggydaddy on Sun, 11/14/10 5:41 AM>

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
                                                            • Location: wheaton, IL
                                                            Re:The Old Patty Melt Sun, 11/14/10 4:29 PM (permalink)
                                                            TJ Jackson

One of the best yet....good job, Chewingthefat, I will definitely order that when/if I ever make it to Emmitsburg

Oh, I get it.  You're being facetious.  Awesome.  Humorous and cutting.  And cunning , too.  Quite the zinger.  You really got them, didn't you?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 37

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com