The Orient Vietnamese Cuisine - Lawrence, Kansas

Author
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
2011/07/27 16:29:17 (permalink)

The Orient Vietnamese Cuisine - Lawrence, Kansas

I love the Phad Thai at this little old restaurant in Lawrence, but this past weekend I decided to try the fried chicken and braised greens. The collard, turnip and mustard greens sounded good, but had a flavor which did not work for me.

But the chicken was another story. When it came out, it looked pretty ordinary, but it tasted wonderful. I've had fried chicken several times this summer, including some places well known for their chicken, but this was the best. It was tender with crispy skin battered in glutten free rice flour.

I asked the proprietor about the chicken coating (I thought their was ginger) but she said it was favored with an imported medicinal herb whose name I did not catch.

3 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8333
    Re:The Orient Vietnamese Cuisine - Lawrence, Kansas 2011/07/27 17:39:59 (permalink)
    Phad Thai is Thai which would suggest Kaffir Lime, Lemon grass or Thai Basil in you chicken sprice flavoring.

There could also have been a bit of a Thai curry paste, red, green or yellow to enhance the coating.

Or I could be completely incorrect.

Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:The Orient Vietnamese Cuisine - Lawrence, Kansas 2011/07/27 17:56:14 (permalink)
    When she described it, she held her hand up to a potted tree behind me, as if it grows on a bush or tree. Although she has had this restaurant for 25 years, there was still a language barrier.

She seemed too young to be the woman who owns the resturant so I asked if she had started it, or her mom. I was very surprised when she said she is 72.

Her is a photo of her. She insisted that I include the sign about the chicken:-)
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8333
    Re:The Orient Vietnamese Cuisine - Lawrence, Kansas 2011/07/27 20:02:12 (permalink)
    Aha...  It probably is the Kaffir Lime leaf.  Hard to find sometimes, but easy to grow.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1