The Original Pancake House Chain

Author
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
2009/01/05 09:13:46 (permalink)

The Original Pancake House Chain

I just saw there was a survey including this chain..This is a good one, too.  To me, it's the Houston's/J Alexander's of pancake places.  In South Florida, it was an experience every Saturday and Sunday to drive by one of their locations and see people lined up out the door.  I would wait for a weekday to go there.

It's been a while, but there was one on Sunrise in Ft. Lauderdale and one in Aventura on Fed Hwy.  The chain originated out in Oregon and they pride themselves in making their own batters from scratch..My favorite was always the 49'ers, which I'd compare favorably to those served by my favorite pancake place of all time - Pamela's in Pittsburgh.  BB - I think you'd like these 49'ers.  Very thin and rich..Just like Pamela's.  

They have these huge apple pancakes that they really market..They take a lot of pride in walking thorough the dining area with this football sized offering and hearing all the comments from folks who have never seen it before.  There are recipes all over the Internet for it, but who wants to make them..Lots of work!  It's easier to go out and eat it albeit you may have to wait on a line on a weekend.

post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/01/05 17:38:42

14 Replies Related Threads

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/05 11:12:23 (permalink)
    We have one in Montgomery Ohio (northern suburb of Cincinnati) and it is always packed also with lines out the door and their food is first-rate always - their blueberry pancakes to me are their best item but my spouse loves their special apple pancake concoction. 
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10475
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/05 11:23:40 (permalink)
    NYPizzaNut-
    Have you had the bacon at the Montgomery location?  It is stupendous!!!  I once asked the manager why it was so good and he told me they a special cut from a local meat maker.  As good a bacon as I have had anywhere.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/05 11:48:30 (permalink)
    I have had their bacon and sausage and it is all scrumptious!
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/05 12:21:14 (permalink)
    There are three positive responses to the OP so it’s unlikely the one star rating came from one of them. Whoever you are why not stop hiding behind your keyboard and tell us why you felt the OP deserved one star?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10475
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/05 12:36:13 (permalink)
    JohnA-
    I have noticed that anytime someone starts a thread in the chains category, they are getting a one star.  I don't think this person necessarily has an issue with OPH.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/05 12:36:30 (permalink)
    Baah Ben,

OK, I'll bite. (g)  What is special about OPH?  I've seen them around town, and I figured that they were just another pancake house chain, like IHOP.  I see that there is one on Bird Road at 99th, and one on Sunset Drive near the turnpike.  Other than the monster apple pancake, what do you like on the menu?

John A: It is no doubt someone who disapproves of chain restaurant discussions.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4564
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/05 12:41:10 (permalink)
    John A

There are three positive responses to the OP so it’s unlikely the one star rating came from one of them. Whoever you are why not stop hiding behind your keyboard and tell us why you felt the OP deserved one star?

John, I think I see a pattern forming.  It appears that whenever someone mentions a chain restaurant, some else gives it a one star rating.

It would be nice if they stepped up to the soapbox and explained themselves.  Tell us what YOU like, not what you don't like.

BTW - BAM! 5-Stars from joerogo!

post edited by joerogo - 2009/01/05 13:23:49
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/05 17:28:54 (permalink)
    Looks like y'all are right. Same thing happened to my Bob Evans post and budgetgourmet's Joe's Crab Shack post. Sad that someone is so insecure they resort to that rather than conduct an open discussion regarding the merits of each post.

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/05 17:55:08 (permalink)
    DON - They are far better than IHOP's pancakes.  You really should take your wife and try them one morning.  I think you will both enjoy them..Now, they are a little pricey so be forewarned.  But, at least try them once..The quality is there....that's why the long lines....

They use to have one in North Miami Beach near 125th.   There is one in Aventura on Fed Hwy near the racetrack for sure.  But, you have one on Bird Rd..  Hmmm.. Don't go to that one! Let me tell you why.  If you head north on I-95 and go to the one in Aventura, on the way back you can take Biscayne South and finally try Steve's for pizza (123rd and Biscayne ) Ha ha..(I cannot figure out how to use the damn smiley faces!)  

Happy New Year MD

Let's all promote chains in 2009..maybe someone will come forward and own up to the low ratings being given for perfectly informative information and pictures ( thank you Ellen) that one can or cannot choose to read and benefit from.  I am not trying to stir up this issue again, but my buddy JohnA is upset.  So, let's just throw it out there and not fight this time.

As this economy worsens, we just may be left with far more chains than some here would like to see.  Personally, I don't care if it's a chain I'm eating at so long as it is really good!  That does leave out a good majority..I'lll grant that to the chain naysayers.   There are not many worthy of our dining dollars, but there are some that are!

So, when a chain does a good job, they should get the same respect as any indy on this site as far as I am concerned.   More so actually.  It is far, far tougher to control quality and service at a slew of locations than one location.  To maintain consistancy the likes of what you'll see at J Alexanders, Stonewood, Houston's, the Cheesecake Factory, etc.  takes a hell of a lot of good management. 

post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/01/05 18:01:25
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/05 19:16:25 (permalink)
    you guys worry too much.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/05 19:44:36 (permalink)
    OPH makes IHOP look awful.

Way back when IHOP knew how to make the best pancakes in the world.  They have passed that mantle on to OPH nowadays. 

I used to love going to IHOP years ago - now I have to be forced to go to one of their numerous locations. 

I cannot wait to go to OPH!
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/05 19:49:15 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

Baah Ben,

OK, I'll bite. (g)  What is special about OPH?  I've seen them around town, and I figured that they were just another pancake house chain, like IHOP.  I see that there is one on Bird Road at 99th, and one on Sunset Drive near the turnpike.  Other than the monster apple pancake, what do you like on the menu?

Everything is special about OPH's food; IHOP on the other hand has become one of the worst chains in the land as far as breakfast treats go, in my humble opinion.

Quality, taste, friendliness, know-how - that is OPH.  IHOP is now God-awful in every regard  - years ago they had the formula but they lost it somewhere along the way.
    HDtravlr1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/05 20:44:17 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

Baah Ben,

I have eaten the homemade corned beef hash a few times when visiting the Las Vegas OPH. It is very good!
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1744
    Re:The Original Pancake House Chain 2009/01/06 08:46:35 (permalink)
    Don, by all means give OPH a try.  Sure wish we had one here in Baltimore.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1