The Perfect Burger IMHO

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2396
Re:The Perfect Burger IMHO 2013/05/12 09:50:44 (permalink)

rneiner: They say Gnd brisket makes the best gnd beef, and how could bacon be bad.

Foodbme: Spot on old boy

kland01s: you don't get it, the point is, the best burger is the one you like. The burger that comes to the table prepared like you are the only one in the restaurant...........I know you said you liked Chocolate, Paul brought up Chocolate and Vanilla. What the heck should we do with the people that like Chocolate and vanilla swirl.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6271
Re:The Perfect Burger IMHO 2013/05/12 13:47:03 (permalink)
pnwchef

rneiner: They say Gnd brisket makes the best gnd beef, and how could bacon be bad.

kland01s: you don't get it, the point is, the best burger is the one you like. The burger that comes to the table prepared like you are the only one in the restaurant...........I know you said you liked Chocolate, Paul brought up Chocolate and Vanilla. What the heck should we do with the people that like Chocolate and vanilla swirl.

kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:The Perfect Burger IMHO 2013/05/12 15:53:16 (permalink)
pnwchef

Well, I don' like chocolate very much and certainly no vanilla swirl, I'm kind of in to fruit berry gelatos right now. But I still like my burgers fairly plain because I like a good meat flavor.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:The Perfect Burger IMHO 2013/05/13 12:14:39 (permalink)
Preheat dry cast iron skillet to medium high. 
Form 80/20 beef in 1/2 lb patties. 1 inch thick. Press the center  to 1/2 inch. This will allow it to shrink even. 
Season patties with salt and pepper and place in hot dry skillet. 
When burger releases and crusts up from skillet flip. Repeat until Medium Rare is achieved.
For cheese burger move all burgers to center and place cheese on top of all burgers getting cheese. Pour shot glass of water in skillet and cover with lid for 20 seconds or less. Cheese will melt almost instantly due to steam.
Let rest on paper towel.
Place on lightly toasted bun inside only. This will help prevent soggy bun. I actually toast them in the hot skillet prior burger cooking. Lettuce helps also.
Never press a burger under any circumstance.
Adding stuff inside the meat imo works poorly and is a gimmick. Seasoning with salt prior causes meat to get hard. Personally I like the topping prepared by themselves.

Onions: Dice two large onions and place in a non stick skillet with a couple tablespoons oil. Cook until light brown. When light brown add 1/2 can Coke and cook down until Coke is gone. If you like Caramelized Onions you will prepare them this way from now on. 
Tomatoes: If you wouldn't eat it raw don't put it on a burger.
Mushrooms: Bake in 400 degree oven for five minutes. Then finish in skillet with butter. The oven bake will roast mushrooms and they wont sweat in pan.

easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 514
Re:The Perfect Burger IMHO 2013/05/13 13:04:47 (permalink)
pnwchef

Sorry guys the ketchup was behind the burger like this. I like having ketchup on every bite. I guess never doesn't work for me either.........

That bacon is so beautiful I would have to take it off and enjoy every bite just by itself.  Then I would put the rest of the beautiful sandwich together and squeeze it down with both hands, and chomp my way through it -- after I add the thick slice of raw onion.

easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The Perfect Burger IMHO 2013/05/13 13:09:20 (permalink)
leethebard

"Never put ketchup on a Burger"?????....and why not? Please put the words, in my opinion, in front of that. Millions of Americans, I am sure, love ketchup on a good burger........As you say the great thing about burgers, like good pizza, is anything goes, if you like it , eat it!!

Darn tootin'.  Sometimes the best burger is a simple meat, cheese onion and ketchup.  Around here that is a common way at cookouts.  And Lawry's Seasoned Salt is seen very often instead of regular salt.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The Perfect Burger IMHO 2013/05/13 13:16:33 (permalink)
pnwchef

CajunKing

pnwchef

Sorry guys the ketchup was behind the burger like this. I like having ketchup on every bite. I guess never doesn't work for me either.........

And that is not a knife and fork burger?

this is the exact burger thats at the top of the page. It's a two handed burger, but, not a knife and fork burger. I wouldn't eat a knife burger,,,,,,,,,,,, 

As far as "knife" (and fork) burgers go, "hamburger steak" dinners are still on many menus around here, still popular, at least with the older folks, I guess.  Usually about ten ounces, often "smothered" with onions or mushrooms or both, maybe gravy. 

Is that just in the rural Midwest, or elsewhere too?

easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The Perfect Burger IMHO 2013/05/13 13:23:14 (permalink)
mar52

I do  not have a Segway.  It was a total dream.

However, if you're really thinking about two, look at these:

http://www.scootercatalog...-electric-scooter.html

They're not the same, but for a toy you'll get the same thrill at a fraction of the price.

Mar, thanks!  That is indeed a great alternative idea.  Since I got COPD six years ago, walking is not my best thing, and I used to go for miles, easily.  Now I'm pretty good on the flats, but hills and stairs are tough. We will be looking at these closely!

Glad there's a new attitude about smoking now.  In my youth, John Wayne told us it was cool!

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5069
Re:The Perfect Burger IMHO 2013/05/13 14:07:09 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

Seasoning with salt prior causes meat to get hard.
Last summer I conducted a little experiment and salted a burger 3 days before I grilled it.  When I finally ate it the texture and feel were somewhat sausage-like (not necessarily a bad thing) and it had good flavor.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1