The Press Box

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18652
RE: The Press Box 2004/12/24 15:38:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tootshor

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by Onofrio

I remember Midge, love to hear stories. Anyone remember Chip's Bar on Grand Ave, and Panzo's in east haven?

I don't remember Chip's or Panzo's. What was the name of the bar on Whalley Avenue that Red Licari ran, and where the bartender was a guy named Jiggs?

Called the University Grille. Red ran it with his brothers (Pauley, Joey, and I think one other). Jiggs had diabetes. All long gone.

University Grille, of course. Thanks. I remember that Jiggs had diabetes. I also remember that he used to put his tips in the trunk of his Riviera.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18652
RE: The Press Box 2004/12/24 15:48:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by calamita

Hoffman, Onofrio & tootshor, I had a ball reading about your reminiscences of the Arena Grille and and my father, Billy Calamita. FYI, his father (Bill Calamita Sr.) owned the University Grill in New Haven in the 1940s.

Your memories are very precise. My parents married in 1963 and my mom passed away in 1999. My father owned Stowes Pilot House for about 10 years, through out most of the seventies. After that he managed a bar in the New Haven Coliseum that the New Haven Nighthawks opened. They brought in my father and a lot of his Arena memorabilia to try bring back some of the glory days of New Haven and its hockey teams. He did this part time through much of the 80's.

Thanks for the update on your dad. I remember your mother very well. She was one neat lady. Of course, anyone who could put up with your father had to be pretty neat.It would have been your grandmother, then, who used to feed me hot tea with anisette for my cold and sore throat at the Arena Grille. I can remember sitting at the end of the bar, and she would go into the kitchen and get the tea, then she'd have your dad or Billy Sandella, whoever was behind the bar, bring over the anisette. It helped, I think. At least, it would help me not to notice that I had a cold or sore throat.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1