The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe...

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 34
BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Wed, 05/16/12 4:53 PM (permalink)
...as long as you consider the Universe to be fully contained within the Greater Cleveland, Ohio Area.

I'll be arriving in Cleveland late tonight with a stop planned for my favorite 'Que joint in that town, My Pleasant BBQ.  Starting Thursday. and running through Sunday, I'll be doing demos at various Heinen's stores.  Here's the schedule:

Thursday, May 17th, 2012: Heinen's; 434 Dover Center Rd., Bay Village, OH
Friday, May 18th, 2012: Heinen's; 19219 Detroit Rd., Rocky River, OH
Saturday, May 19th, 2012: Heinen's; 8383 Chippewa Rd., Brecksville, OH
Sunday, May 20th, 2012: Heinen's; 18300 Royalton Rd.; Strongsville, OH

I'll start demoing at each store around noon, and finish up at 7:00pm on Thursday and Friday; 6:00pm on Saturday and Sunday.  If you want to come in and sample our sauces, drop by anytime.  If you want to join me for dinner swing by at around 15 minutes before closing on any given day and we'll hit the road.

Friday night is already reserved for Sokolowski's University Inn.  I have some strong ideas about the other nights, but I'm flexible for any ideas from anyone who wishes to join me.

Hope to see some Roadfooders in Cleveburg!

Buddy

P.S. We have a return trip, June 21-24, 2012.  buffetbuster and entourage are on the guest list for that weekend.  Anyone else interested?

B.

buffetbuster

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Thu, 05/17/12 9:41 AM (permalink)
    Buddy-
    Wish we could join you this weekend, but we will be running around Worcester with a group of Roadfooders.  As for that weekend in June, I am thinking Mariton and I might make a weekend of it, so you will probably see us both Friday and Saturday nights.  I would love to visit Mt. Pleasant BBQ sometime that weekend.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Thu, 05/17/12 10:16 AM (permalink)
      I was just there last night.  Had a short end with fries and slaw.  The ribs were mighty tasty; good chew with a light smoke flavor.  They're served with the fries on top, the whole thing smothered in the  house sauce.

Mt. Pleasant's sauce is unlike any other BBQ Sauce I've ever had.  It's a tomato based sauce, but has a different flavor profile from what you'd expect.  It's a good balance of sweet and tangy.

I'm a big fan of their slaw as well.  It's kind of a cross between a creamy style and tangy vinegar based slaw.  Very unique.

They are a typical northern style 'Que joint with a wide ranging menu that includes fried chicken, fish and seafood.  Long list of sides, too.  It'll be nice to visit with a few extra people so we can explore the menu a little bit.

It might be a good idea to bring a folding chair or two.  Most people do take out, so there's only one "fast food" style table with attached seating for two.  Or we can do take out and bring it back to a hotel room.

Buddy

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17817
        Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Thu, 05/17/12 12:35 PM (permalink)
        Hey, how come you're not hitting Central Ohio? As for June the oneth, lleechef and I will be out on Lake Erie fishing for walleyes.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Fri, 05/18/12 12:45 AM (permalink)
          Even though I created our sauces and am the founder and president of the company, I am more or less working for the distributors that carry our products.  I go where they send me, and this year they're not sending me to central Ohio.

On the other hand, Michael, with all the traveling you're doing this summer, how tough is it to make a trip to Cleveland?  I mean, I'm meeting you more than halfway.  And there's some good eats up here; well worth the drive.  Friday night at Sokolowski's and Saturday, most likely at Babushka's.  I was planning to go see The Avengers after dinner on Saturday, but if you and Lisa make the run, I will make the supreme sacrifice and skip the movie to spend the evening with you.  There's a frozen custard joint around the corner from Babushka's, so we've got dinner and dessert.

Your call Mr. Hoffman.

Buddy

P.S. Tonight's dinner was a pleasant Asian diversion from the meat feast I've been experiencing lately.  My usual haunt on the far west end of Cleveland, Cuisine Du Cambodge provided two wonderful dishes.

Started with my usual chicken salad made with shredded cabbage, carrots, fennel, onions, and chicken swimming in a fragrant, clear garlicky sweet dressing, all topped with coarse chopped peanuts.

For mains, had a giant steaming bowl of Chha Kreoung Ma Rass Prowt--go ahead, say that three times fast--and no misspellings there either.  It's a base of vermicelli noodles smothered in veggies, and chicken, with chunks of fried spring roll scattered on top, then covered with a lovely brown sauce, whipped coconut milk, and more chopped peanuts.  Then they provide a bowl of more of that same sweet garlicky sauce to pour over.  Stir it all up with a squirt of Sriracha and you've got some good eatin'!

B.

Cuisine Du Cambodge
          13124 Lorain Avenue
          Cleveland, OH 44111
          (216) 252-6900
          <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Fri, 05/18/12 12:49 AM>

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
            Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Fri, 05/18/12 10:13 PM (permalink)
            Buddy, We missed you by one week in Bay Village. We were there just the week before on a drive by Nancy's old house just a couple blocks away at 277 Dover Center Rd. and dinner at Bearden's on Lake Road in Rocky River, her teenage hangout.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sat, 05/19/12 12:40 AM (permalink)
              Davydd, tell me about Bearden's.  I could be looking for a place to eat on the way out of town Sunday evening.  Nice neighborhood, BTW.

Tonight was Sokolowski's night.  One of the featured fish entrees was battered and fried walleye.  Made to order, it was a huge three piece portion of full sized fillets.  The batter was crisp and sturdy, but not heavy or distracting from the fish itself, which was as good as any walleye I've had in the Twin Cities.

Sides were Sokolowski's famous pierogis, and a heaping pile of mac & cheese.  I'd never had the m&c at Sokolowski's, so was eager to try it.  This wasn't just some doctored up version of the stuff in the blue box.  The noodles were thick and hearty, more like rigatoni noodles than elbow macaroni, and had a house made quality reminiscent of the noodles in Stroud's chicken soup.  They were in a creamy, dense cheese sauce with a lovely texture, but needed a good shot of salt and pepper to kick start the flavor.  After a couple of shakes those noodles were damn tasty.

Bernie Sokolowski told me tonight he uses our "Original Recipe" sauce to make the meatloaf.  Had I known, I might have ordered it.  Good thing I'll be back in June with the buffetbuster support team joining me.  We can order an actual buffet of entrees and,,,well,,,bust it!

Buddy
              <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Sat, 05/19/12 12:42 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sat, 05/19/12 5:11 AM (permalink)
                Sounds delicious! Oh, we'll bust it alright!

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sun, 05/20/12 1:02 AM (permalink)
                  I fantasized all day that I would walk into Babushka's for dinner and Michael Hoffman and lleechef would be waiting there to surprise me.  That didn't work out quite the way I'd dreamed, but it was nice the chef remembered me from last year's visit.

I started out with a cup of dilled tomato bisque soup with dumplings.  Tomato soup is one of the primary touchstones to my youth; a genuine comfort food that I take very seriously.  Babushka's version was absolutely delicious, but the dumplings, although very tasty in and of themselves, were more of a distraction.  I wanted uninterrupted tomato soup, and I ended up spooning around a dumpling obstacle course and missing some of that liquid red gold.  In hindsight, I reckon I could have asked for the soup without the dumplings.  That wouldn't be insulting would it?  If someone said to me, "Your soup is so good on its own, I don't want to mess it up with any extraneous dumplings," I would take it as a compliment, wouldn't you?

I followed up the soup with, what I think is a Babushka's creation, "The Warsaw".  It's a big ol' potato pancake with grilled onions, sliced pork loin, and sauerkraut piled on top, smothered in pork gravy, then topped with another big ol' potato pancake and a dollop of sour cream.  Wow.  What a thing of beauty!  All those diverse flavors worked so well together.  The sweet richness of the pork gravy and grilled onions were perfectly counterbalanced by the slight tang of the kraut.  The pork loin was moist and tender, and the potato pancake was an ideal version with a nice crunchy exterior giving way to a moist and dense inside.  Oh yeah, and there was sour cream too.  This dish is a winner that I recommend without reservation.

After dinner, I had a nice conversation with Babushka's owner, his wife, and the chef.  I'd told them about Roadfood when I visited last year, and they've been happily catching up on all their mentions ever since.  They're genuinely touched that the Roadfood community thinks so highly of them.

They gave me a bunch of kolachky and this Napoleon-like pastry to take home, and a giant pierogi to go along with my breakfast leftovers.  Naturally, I left some Barbecue Sauce with them.

Babushka's has become one of my Cleveland favorites.  The only problem is, when you've got a limited amount of time in town, and a limited number of meals you can eat, how do you visit all of them every time you visit?  We should all have such problems...

Buddy
                  <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Sun, 05/20/12 1:08 AM>

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
                    Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sun, 05/20/12 1:08 AM (permalink)
                    Crap.  Do we have to add Tomato Soup to the Smoke Day menu?

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sun, 05/20/12 1:10 AM (permalink)
                      I can bring tomato soup instead of the Graeter's ice cream if you prefer.

Buddy

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sun, 05/20/12 1:32 AM (permalink)
                        After posting that lengthy review above, I rewarded myself with a go at the kolachky and pastry from Babushka's.

Holy crap!  Those folks really know their way around a kolachky!  Light, crisp texture with a lovely variety of fillings.  I tried the custard filled (creamy and rich), and the apricot and berry (both chewy with intense flavors).  The Napoleon pastry was filled with a light and deeply flavored chocolate mousse.  It was all so good, there might not be any left for Mrs. Roadhouse.

Buddy

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sun, 05/20/12 8:57 AM (permalink)
                          The "Warsaw" sounds fabulous! Right up my alley!

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sun, 05/20/12 9:37 AM (permalink)
                            Just a quick breakfast update: Somehow, "The Warsaw" becomes even more delicious the morning after.  Everything I liked about the dish last night was magically enhanced by a couple of minutes in the microwave.

Likewise, the over sized potato and cheddar pierogi, smothered in grilled onions, survived the night and made a strong showing.  Although lacking the exterior crispness I'm sure it had when it was fresh out of the frying pan, the flavor and texture were just outstanding.  All I can say is, if Babushka's pierogi is that good reheated after a night in the fridge, it must be pure potato and dough joy when you eat it fresh and hot.

Babushka's owners describe the place as a "destination restaurant".  They couldn't be more right.  It is a destination all dedicated Roadfooders should put on their culinary "to do" list.

Buddy

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                              Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sun, 05/20/12 10:43 AM (permalink)
                              You are killing me with the update of the Warsaw.........

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Mon, 05/21/12 2:18 AM (permalink)
                                Annie, I would have picked up a couple extra to bring along for Smoke Day/Pie Fest, but I didn't think they would travel very well.

Tonight's dinner, before leaving Cleveland, was a stop at Bearden's, mentioned by Davydd a few posts north of here.  BTW, it's pronounced "bear"-dens, not "beer"-dens as I had originally assumed.  Their mascot is a fuzzy little teddy bear who rides around on a model train that circles the dining room.

Bearden's is a throwback neighborhood burger joint that went out of business and reopened a while back.  You can still see the original charm of the place, but some of the remodeling details were a little too precious for me; the bright aqua and white color scheme being the predominant offender.  Still, it's easy to see how this place would become a beloved neighborhood fixture.

The menu has all the fast food usual suspects, but goes beyond the burgers and hot dogs with some unique additions.  The one thing that jumped out at me was the clam roll.  I gave this serious thought, mainly because I've never had a clam roll and wanted to try it.  But as I pondered ordering one I got a sudden vision in my head of wanderingjew's signature "non-regional food" frowny face.  It actually made me jump back for a second.

"What's wrong with ordering a clam roll?" I said to the imaginary disapproving wanderingjew in my mind, "We're less than two blocks from a large body of water."

"Yeah," replied my wanderingjew conscience, "That large body of water is Lake Erie.  The only shellfish you'll be pulling out of there will be some non-native invasive species that came in with the semi-toxic bilge water dumped by a freighter that just made its way over from southeast Asia.  Take a big bite and enjoy."

"Fine," I gave in, "I'll just get a hamburger."

And that's what I did.

It was a decent burger, too.  I got the double steakburger which was similar to the Steak N Shake/Schoop's/Winstead's model.  Maybe a bit thicker patty with not so crispy edges.  It was slightly lacking in beef flavor, but the condiments made it okay.  Fries were institutional, but cooked just right with a nice crispy exterior and light fluffy potato flesh inside.

Bearden's isn't bashful about their pricing.  A double burger, a small order of fries, and a small soft drink was almost $11.  I thought I had been whisked away to Los Angeles for a second.  Anyway, It was a decent meal.  I can see why the community loves this place.  I'd go back, but not until I've visited every place else I want to visit in Cleveland.

More to report during next month's return trip.  See you then!

Buddy

Ralph Melton

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sat, 06/2/12 12:47 PM (permalink)
                                  Lori and I have finally had some free time to look at our schedules, and we plan to join you in Cleveland for that weekend. We look forward to seeing you then!

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sat, 06/2/12 2:29 PM (permalink)
                                    It's a date!  Friday night is Sokolowski's night, so bring an appetite for pierogi's and fish!  Other night's are TBD, but I have some ideas.  Any thoughts on when you'll arrive?

Buddy

Michael Hoffman

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sat, 06/2/12 3:03 PM (permalink)
                                      Buddy, we've been dealing with a family situation that precludes any chances of getting together with you -- at least this season.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sat, 06/2/12 3:29 PM (permalink)
                                        Hope you get your issues resolved quickly with no serious/lasting problems impeding your happiness.

Stay well,
                                        Buddy

Ralph Melton

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sat, 06/2/12 9:54 PM (permalink)
                                          Our guess is that we'll drive up Friday afternoon to meet you at Sokolowski's, and return Sunday. We are otherwise flexible, but Lori hopes to tour the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I am actually low on suggestions - in nineteen years of living in Pittsburgh, I've only visited Cleveland once.

Davydd

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sun, 06/3/12 10:58 AM (permalink)
                                            Buddy,

Any Minnesota trips? We are heading out for Alaska at the end of the month so will not be around July and most all of August.

Michael Hoffman

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sun, 06/3/12 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                              Thanks Buddy. Things seem to be taking care of themselves.

Best regards

Michael

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sun, 06/3/12 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                                Davydd,
                                                It seems Lund's/Byerly's and Roadhouse have parted ways thanks to a conniving, short sighted distributor.  It's a long story, which I will not go into here.  All is not lost though.  If I can find new distribution in the area, there's a chance we can get back into all the stores we once held.

We've gone through about four different distributors up your way.  The very best of the bunch was the first one.  They placed regular orders, tended to the shelves, gave our products proper attention, and always went the extra mile to facilitate our demos when we came into town.  Unfortunately, it turned out the owner of the business was a crook who embezzled his employees retirement fund.  Needless to say, they went out of business amidst lawsuits and indictments.  Since then, no one has ever fully compared to them, and we've never had the same market strength in the Twin Cities.

Michael,
                                                Glad things are working out.  Hope to see you and your bride on another trip.

Buddy

buffetbuster

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Sun, 06/3/12 6:20 PM (permalink)
                                                  Ralph Melton

Lori and I have finally had some free time to look at our schedules, and we plan to join you in Cleveland for that weekend. We look forward to seeing you then!
                                                  Glad to hear it! 

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Wed, 06/20/12 1:00 AM (permalink)
                                                    Round two of the Roadhouse Tour of the Universe begins in a couple of days.  We're headed back to Cleveland where we're looking forward to meeting up with the buffetbuster and Ralph Melton entourages, and anyone else who wants to join in.  Once again, Sokolowski's is almost a sure bet for Friday night.

buffetbuster has already expressed an interest in visiting Mt. Pleasant BBQ one night, a stop I heartily endorse.  If we go though, you Pittsburghers will want to pack a few card chairs or lawn chairs.  Mt. Pleasant is primarily a take out joint with only one tiny table and just two attached seats.  I'll have a card table in my car if you'll bring the seating.  Dining "ala trunk" is not the best option at Mt. Pleasant.

Here's my demo schedule for the weekend:

Thursday June 20, 2012  - Heinen's; 8482 E. Washington St.; Bainbridge, OH
                                                    Friday June 21, 2012 - Heinen's; 115 N. Chillicothe Rd.; Aurora, OH
                                                    Saturday  May 22, 2012 - Heinen's; 860 SOM Center Rd.; Mayfield Village, OH
                                                    Sunday June  23, 2012 - Heinen's; 34501 Ridge Rd.; Willoughby, OH

As usual, the demos will start at each store around noon, and finish up at 7:00pm on Thursday and Friday; 6:00pm on Saturday and Sunday.  If you want to come in and sample our sauces, drop by anytime.  If you want to join the gang for dinner swing by at around 15 minutes before closing on any given day and we'll hit the road.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Cleveburg!

Buddy

buffetbuster

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Wed, 06/20/12 5:43 AM (permalink)
                                                      Buddy-
                                                      Not sure if we yet if we will be joining you for both nights or maybe for just one night. But, either way, we are very much looking forward to seeing you again.  I will let you know our schedule in the next day or so.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4716
                                                        • Location: Stoughton, WI
                                                        Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Wed, 06/20/12 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                                        BuddyRoadhouse

Sunday June  23, 2012 - Heinen's; 34501 Ridge Rd.; Willoughby, OH

A stop at Willoughby, you say?

Davydd

• Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                          Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Wed, 06/20/12 10:19 AM (permalink)
                                                          I had this Walleye sandwich at the Willoughby Brewing Company last month.

buffetbuster

Re:The Roadhouse Bar-B-que Sauce Summer 2012 Tour Of The Universe... Tue, 06/26/12 8:29 AM (permalink)
                                                            My girlfriend and I met Buddy in Cleveland this past weekend as did Ralph and Lori Melton.  On Friday night, it was the usual dinner at Sokolowski's, followed by a trip to the great Jeni's Ice Cream.  On Saturday night, we all shared a tremendous amount of food at Babushka's Kitchen, which I absolutely loved.  From there, a stop at a local frozen custard place. 

We had a wonderful weekend in Cleveland.  As good as the food was, spending time with our Roadfood friends was even better!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 34

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com