The Roll, As in Lobster Roll ??

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15272
2003/03/15 05:54:55 (permalink)

The Roll, As in Lobster Roll ??

You folks on the Right (as in East) Coast have the solution to a Major Problem for the rest of us.
I am speaking of the difficulty of obtaining Rolls for the creation of Clam or Lobster Rolls. Use a Hot Dog Bun, you say. NO WAY ! We need the rolls that are 'top-cut' . The ones that can be toasted or grilled on the 'outside'. They are often referred to as the New England style hot dog roll...But I haven't found them in the Midwest anywhere. Regular side-cut rolls just won't do it, just as using rye bread to sop up BBQ will never replace Wonder Bread.
Anyone have a source for these finishing touches?

5 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18427
    RE: The Roll, As in Lobster Roll ?? 2003/03/15 10:37:42 (permalink)
    I buy New England style hotdog buns in Ohio. The Kroger chain carries a couple of brands, including Nickles.

However, if you cannot find them you can always do a little trim work on the other type of hotdog buns. First, try to find buns that have not been pre-sliced. Use a serrated blade to slice off the rounded sides, then make your own opening. With pre-sliced buns you can perform similar surgery, although you'll always end up with one side thinner than the other.

After performing the required surgery it's easy to just butter both sides and toast them on a grill or in a skillet. The result may not look exactly the same as a flat-sided, top-sliced New England style bun, but it will eat just about as well.

One thing more: I trust you'll be making Connecticut style, hot buttered lobster rolls and not those awful salad things one finds in other areas of New England masquerading as lobster rolls.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    RE: The Roll, As in Lobster Roll ?? 2003/03/15 11:05:07 (permalink)
    I understand about the buttered roll...Abbot's (sp?) in Noank, CN is a place we used to visit frequently ! The buttered outside is more noticeable with a clam roll...or fried oysters, but the lobster in butter stuck in a toasted roll that disenigrates as you try to hold it together is the real thing.
    PJinNH
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: The Roll, As in Lobster Roll ?? 2003/03/25 07:03:03 (permalink)
    Isn't it funny how some things are regional? I wonder how it came to be that there were New England style hotdog rolls? Who started it? Hmmm, can't wait for the Tamarack Restaurant (Weirs Beach, NH) to open up in another month or two, I have a yen for a foot-long (New England style) lobster roll!
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: The Roll, As in Lobster Roll ?? 2003/03/25 11:58:11 (permalink)
    If you can bake your own, hot dog roll pans are available through the King Arthur Flour baking website (based out of Norwich,VT). I believe the pans are made by Chicago Metallic. Hamburger rolls, too
    The-Porcus
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: The Roll, As in Lobster Roll ?? 2003/11/30 13:57:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DaveM

If you can bake your own, hot dog roll pans are available through the King Arthur Flour baking website (based out of Norwich,VT). I believe the pans are made by Chicago Metallic. Hamburger rolls, too

There's a recipe for making your own NE buns at http://www.cooking.com/recipes/static/recipe4938.htm . It is a bit intimidating so my testing and use of this recipe lies yet in the future!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1