The Skylight's Twin

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
'QueperMan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
2009/03/12 19:21:55 (permalink)

The Skylight's Twin

I just wanted to inform some of you fellow BBQ aficionados about a real deal BBQ joint in Eastern NC.  The Oakwood BBQ is a realitively new place between Richlands and Jacksonville NC. I tried Oakwood BBQ today for the first time. It was great..prepared almost identically to the Skylight Inn in Ayden.  Personally, I thought the BBQ at the Oakwood was actually better than the Skylight's.  Huge portions with lots and lots of crispy, chewy pieces of skin.  The owner is one of the nicest guys I've met at any BBQ joint I've been to.  When I told him it was my first time at his place, he gave me a large free sample of bbq, slaw, hushpuppies and banana pudding as soon as I could finish my sentence  And let me tell you, the banana pudding was pretty awesome too...I'd definitely check this place out if you lookin some real deal, wood cooked, eastern style bbq. 

He told me he cooks the whole hog, but cuts it up into portions so that it is easier for him to manuever the meat on his own.  The only thing served at the Oakwood is chopped bbq, sweet white slaw, light fluffy hushpuppies and creamy banana pudding.  The portion what over flowing and included a drink, all for 7 bucks.

Now, this is no ad for the Oakwood, but the man was so nice and the food was so good, I think it deserves a little friendly plug on best website this side of heaven. Plus, I'm not sure many people know about this place and I want to get the word out because I think it deserves as much acclaim as all the other great BBQ places in NC.

It's located on Catherine Lake Rd. off of hwy 258 heading into jacksonville from richlands. The man serves the BBQ right out of his garage behind his house, so be sure to look up the directions.  They only serve Thurs, Fri and Sat...maybe Sunday but I'm not sure. Definitely check this place out.

31 Replies Related Threads

'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/12 21:56:43 (permalink)

From their website
    post edited by 'QueperMan - 2009/03/14 10:53:12
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/12 22:24:53 (permalink)
    Ok QueperMan... if I make the trip down from Cary, we'll have to go there. I'll be happy to treat you if it is as good as you say. I grew up eating Skylight Inn bbq. They were the only place that was close to what we used to cook ourselves.

We did bbq the old way at our farm. A pit was dug, the wood burned down to coals and the pig was placed over it on chicken wire and then covered.

I'll see what our upcoming schedule is like and will have to make plans to come down. You up for it???   LOL

Dennis in Cary
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/13 00:20:05 (permalink)
    The Skylight is the best, but Oakwood isn't far behind.  It's certainly the best bbq remotely close to the NC coast.

Everything QueperMan says is true...about the bbq as well as the people.

QueperMan, next time you're by there please tell Mr. Monty that Jay and Hedy say hello.  We've missed his bbq since our move.

Thanks,  Jay
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/13 07:34:14 (permalink)
    queper,

I'm there next time i'm down at inlaws in Wallace!!

So great to hear when folks are keeping to the old ways.

Thanks for the good news,  Doug 
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/13 12:11:47 (permalink)
    Nice job on the pics posting Queper!
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/13 13:06:38 (permalink)
    Nice pictures of the chicken, BBQ, and hush puppies.  My family lives in northeastern NC, so this would be a bit of a drive when I am there, but I would eat there in a minute if in the area.

Thanks for posting the pictures and making us expatriates hungry!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10518
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/13 13:26:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report and photos QueperMan!  It sure does look really good.  I love the fact that it is in garage behind the house.  So Roadfoodish!  But, I admit to still being a little skeptical about it being better than Skylight Inn, since I hold that place in such high regard.  I have never been in that part of North Carolina, though now you have given me a reason to visit.

Dennis, hope you get a chance to visit and we will expect a full report back!!!
    'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/13 14:04:59 (permalink)
    I figured I'd get a response out of this..especially given the title.  I'm glad I had JayL to support me here though.  The main reason why I chose to compare the Oakwood to the Skylight is because these are the only two places I have ever been that have so much skin mixed in with the BBQ.  But, the times I have been to the Skylight, the BBQ is not nearly as "skinny" as my meal at Oakwood. I also found the BBQ at the Oakwood to be more lean and less greasy than the Skylight.  Now, I'm not bashing the Skylight and I realize it is considered one of, if not the best BBQ in the State or the Country for that matter.  But I mainly posted this to let all of you who love the Skylight know that you definitely need to make a trip to Oakwood if you're in the area.  Even the smell of the BBQ was almost identical to that of the Skylight Inn's, I'm sure it is because they use the same kind of wood in their preparation.

I think the main difference I found between the two is that at the Skylight, they don't season the pig at all during the cooking, but add a little bit of salt and texas pete when it is about done.  After it is chopped, they still do not add any sauce to the finished product (and none is really needed).  However, at the Oakwood, the owner said he does season the pig with a little bit of vinegar based sauce after it is chopped.  This created a smokey flavored BBQ with a mildly vinegar tang.

One thing I will say is that the Skylight's coleslaw is probably the best I've ever had, and  there is no beating that at the Oakwood.

DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/13 15:47:55 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Thanks for the report and photos QueperMan!  It sure does look really good.  I love the fact that it is in garage behind the house.  So Roadfoodish!  But, I admit to still being a little skeptical about it being better than Skylight Inn, since I hold that place in such high regard.  I have never been in that part of North Carolina, though now you have given me a reason to visit.

Dennis, hope you get a chance to visit and we will expect a full report back!!!

Cliff  I am going to try and talk the wife into going but have to get better first. I was at the doctor today and was diagnosed with pneumonia... been pretty sick since Monday. My doctor said I probably have been sick since last week. I didn't feel 100% when we got together with you and Dale.... otherwise I would have asked to tag along with you 2 Saturday night.

Dennis in Cary
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/13 15:51:31 (permalink)
     Queperman , you are right that it is hard to beat the slaw at Skylight Inn. And speaking of wood, if I am not mistaken they use mainly oak wood for their BBQ.

Dennis in Cary
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10518
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/13 15:54:10 (permalink)
    Dennis-
    Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well.  Please take care of yourself, because pneumonia can be nasty stuff!  You would have been welcome to join us on Saturday night as we hit A & M Grill in Mebane and Allen & Son in Chapel Hill.  WJ should be starting on the report sometime this weekend.  I hope you feel better real soon.
    'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/13 16:35:12 (permalink)
    Dennis, my schedule isn't a very good one because I am actually going to school in Greenville (ECU) so I'm not in Jacksonville very often.  It is my spring break right now and I am working/shadowing in a dentist's office in town so I had the chance to ride over and try it yesterday.

If you are a little weary about driving down, they actually ship their BBQ.  But I don't know how good it will be, especially since there is skin mixed in the BBQ which tends to get soggy over time.  Also, there is a 5 pound minimum which makes it hard for just two people to eat...haha...plus it gets a little costy, especially if you don't like it.  Here's the info anyway.

Toll Free 1-866-462-8885.

Pork  BBQ  Packed  in 1  lb.  Shrink  Packs-------$8.50 lb (5 lb. minimum)
    Also, 24 oz bottle of sauce for $5.
    They only ship on Mon, Tues and Wends.

If you do decide to come down, and don't like the Oakwood.  I'll get you and your wife a couple of trays from the Skylight Inn and carry 'em up to Cary myself...
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/13 22:14:43 (permalink)
     QueperMan let me know when you have a Saturday open and we will meet uup with you down there and give them a try. I have fond memories of working in downtown Greenville in the late 80's. I loved Cubbies at the end of Evans Street.... some of the best cheese steaks I ever ate. Are they still open?

Buffetbuster, I have been very sick this week and pretty much homebound. I coughed so hard earlier this week I pulled several muscles in my left side and have had a hard time of it. I was feeling the effects when you and wanderingjew came to town but wasn't going to let that stop me from meeting up with you 2 and having some Q that day. Didn't know what I had until I went to the doctor. Anyway on to more food talk... I really want to try this place out. If it checks out ok, I'll make plans to have you back down to try them out.

Dennis in Cary
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 512
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/14 10:19:01 (permalink)
    great pics...that's a hefty serving for 7 bucks!
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/14 11:42:11 (permalink)
    Let Me know if evrybody is going to be there and I will make the short drive and meet up too.
    'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/14 21:13:42 (permalink)
    Stopped by again today, there were actually quite a few others there this time.

I brought my Dad with me and he liked it a lot.  Said it was "about as good as it gets" and he's not nearly as big a BBQ fan as I am.  The owner, Mr. Thompson, also gave him a free sample, said it was "good for business"...I agree.

I've heard that they also offer ribs if you can get there early enough.  This is rare in this neck of the woods, but maybe I'll get lucky next time.
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/15 12:53:06 (permalink)
    I said to tell Mr. Monty hi in my post above.  I meant Mr. Morris (Thompson).  Mr. Monty is his friend that works with him.  They are both great folks.

Jay
    'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/15 14:01:19 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, sorry I meant to do that.  Who do I say it's from JayL from Charleston?? haha
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/15 15:02:46 (permalink)
    LOL

Just Jay and Hedy.  Mr. Morris should remember Hedy.  She's a dark complected young lady who was a nurse at Onslow Memorial.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/15 15:41:46 (permalink)
    Inside meat?  Outside meat?  Is that only something that Sweatman's does?  Separating the two before chopping...

I did not see it mentioned (maybe I missed it) but is the chopped up pork seasoned with the Eastern vinegar based sauce sans sugar at this place.  I don't think the Skylight puts anything on their "Q"

Do any of these "chop shops" as I like to call them withhold the ribs from the chopping process and sell them separately? What if you are from Eastern NC and you want some ribs?  Are you SOL?

Thanks for the great photos. 

JayL
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/15 23:02:18 (permalink)
    Baah Ben

Inside meat?  Outside meat?  Is that only something that Sweatman's does?  Separating the two before chopping...

I did not see it mentioned (maybe I missed it) but is the chopped up pork seasoned with the Eastern vinegar based sauce sans sugar at this place.  I don't think the Skylight puts anything on their "Q"

Do any of these "chop shops" as I like to call them withhold the ribs from the chopping process and sell them separately? What if you are from Eastern NC and you want some ribs?  Are you SOL?

Thanks for the great photos. 

Baah Ben,

In eastern NC you don't get separated meat.  As a matter of fact I never hear the term "outside brown" until I was in my 30s.  And that technique happens to be a pet peeve of mine.  Why people want to separate the outside brown and inside white is beyond me.  Yes, the outside brown is EXTREMELY good...and even moreso when served by itself.  My problem comes into play with the inside white.  This is usually pretty bland because of the absence of smoke and seasoning (all that got eaten up with the outside brown).  To me, this is one thing that makes Eastern NC bbq so good.  We mix everything together to give you the full flavor of the hog in every bite.

No, Sweatman's in Holly Hill, SC isn't the only one to separate outside brown & inside white.  As an aside, I'll also say that I wasn't thoroughly impressed with Sweatman's as compared to what I consider the best places in eastern NC...but I don't want to highjack this thread so I'll move on.  Many of the bbq joints in the Piedmont of NC separate the outside and inside also. 

Yes, the bbq at OakWood is slightly seasoned with sauce.  The bbq at the Skylight Inn is also seasoned, but not like you see at other joints...they don't use the typical vinegar/pepper bbq sauce.

When you cook traditional bbq in eastern NC you're cooking whole hog.  The ribs are intact, but you don't end up with a rib like you're probably used to getting.  When you pull the ribs off a whole cooked hog you get a bunch of bone and a slight amount of meat.  They are good, yes...but not ribs in the sense most people would expect. 
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/16 02:56:30 (permalink)
    JayL - Excellent!  Good job.  Thanks. 

Yeah, whole hog does not yield "traditional" ribs.  They serve them in the buffet at Sweatman's, but it's nothing like ribs most of us expect at a BBQ joint.

My only experience with Eastern NC "Q" was on the way to Kinston in Goldsboro.  I can't remember the name of the famous place at the moment.  A senior moment.  I did a post on it though. 
    They served the best hush puppies I've ever had..

'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/16 09:34:55 (permalink)
    The place in Goldsboro is probably Wilber's.  It is considered eof, if not the best BBQ place in Eastern NC.  And they do have good hushpuppies.

I think I heard that the Oakwood does offer ribs, if you get there early enough.  But, like mentioned before, they are probably not the kind of ribs most people outside of NC think about.  More bone, less meat and a little dried out.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/16 13:00:03 (permalink)
    On one of my future North Carolina roadtrips ( generally twice a year ), I'm gonna have to head east out of the Piedmont and do some Q-explorin'. I've had very little experience with eastern NC-style barbeque, but, at much as I love Lexington-style, it's time for me to get past US Hwy. 1 ( the unofficial  dividing line ) and try some of the better-known down-east places. BTW, I have a book in my library that y'all might want to check out. It's called Bob Garner's Guide to North Carolina Barbeque, written by... aww, you guessed it. It's a $12.95 softcover that lists Garner's 100 Q favs in the state, and it's published by John F. Blair in Winston-Salem NC.      www.blairpub.com    
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/16 13:10:02 (permalink)
    I just looked at Blair's website and discovered that Mr. Garner has written another book about our beloved Carolina Q; a $22.95 hardcover called North Carolina Barbeque - Flavored by Time. Gotta get me a copy!
    'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/16 19:38:54 (permalink)
    Bob Garner's first book is the one titled Flavored by Time...I think it discusses more of the history, preparaton and variations of NC BBQ (much like the new book Holy Smoke).  Holy Smoke is a great book on NC BBQ and I definitely recommend it.  It offers everything you'd want to know about NC BBQ(including recipes) and hightlights several of the best BBQ places in the state.

The 2nd book by Bob Garner (The Guide...) is the one where he goes to 100 BBQ places in NC.  This is also a very good book but could have been even better if he ranked or rated the restaurants to let us know which he thought to be the best of the best.

Another good book is by Jim Early entitled Tarheel BBQ: Manteo to Murphy (or something like that).  It is even older and includes several places that are no longer in business.  Again, it would have been better if he would have rated the places.

Finally, a common theme among all of these is not many pictures...or none at all.  Out of all of them, Holy Smoke has the most and I think it is also the best book.  One things I love about Roadfood.com is all the pictures provided, either by official restaurant reviews or "trip reports" on the forum.

When I write my NC BBQ book one day, I will be sure to have plenty of colorful, delicious pig pictures for all of us to admire...
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/16 19:44:59 (permalink)
    nocarolina

I just looked at Blair's website and discovered that Mr. Garner has written another book about our beloved Carolina Q; a $22.95 hardcover called North Carolina Barbeque - Flavored by Time. Gotta get me a copy!

Check out a new book called Holy Smoke. Mr. Gardner's are a little behind..... some of the places have gone under.

Dennis in Cary 
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/16 21:08:12 (permalink)
    QMan - Yes Wilbur's.  Thanks.

JayL
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The Skylight's Twin 2009/03/16 22:55:33 (permalink)
    Grew up with Wilber's (I'm from Goldsboro), but haven't been there for probably 20 years...ever since McCall's went in across the street.  People don't consider McCall's when talking about good bbq because they use an Ole Hickory Pit overnight and finish on a traditional pit in the early morning hours.  But I can tell you it's pretty good bbq...the buffet is the best in town.

The only thing I can "remember" eating at Wilber Shirley's place as a kid was the bbq gizzards.  If you've never had a bbq gizzard and hot sauce, you're missing out.  And yes...I ate those as a mere child.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1