The Snack Cake Heirarchy .....

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: The Snack Cake Heirarchy ..... 2006/02/11 12:05:25 (permalink)
I find Drake's too dry
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 368
RE: The Snack Cake Heirarchy ..... 2006/02/11 13:24:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Eric B

When did Twinkies ever have strawberry filling? (I know they started out with banana, but I don;t remember them ever having strawberry). Might you be thinking of Drake's "Strawberry Shortcakes"? Now those I have always missed!

There was a brief time in the eighties that Hostess made strawberry Twinkies--I remember eating them in high school. They weren't that good, though.

Oh--and whoever recommended the Drake's website? I love you and want to bear your children. I now have a cabinet STUFFED with Sunny Doodles, and they're just as good as they always were.
Eric B
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: The Snack Cake Heirarchy ..... 2006/02/11 22:02:31 (permalink)
>I find Drake's too dry

Ive heard that as a reason why they don't do well in the South. But to me, that's what makes them so tasty, and the more moist chocolate of other cakes is a bit too much. And it's all the same--Hostess, Dolly Madison, Flowers, others, and Little Debbie, except for the Swiss Rolls and Devil Cremes which are dry like Drake's (which is why those are my favorite chocolate cakes from that brand). Tastykake chocolate has a taste that is different from the others, but still too rich.

I would think just for the sake of variety, Drakes would catch on in those other areas. (And aren't Moon Pies a southern thing? Those are certainly dry! Most of Flowers' yellow cake products are not only dry, but often gritty, or at least they used to be--haven't braved them in years)
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: The Snack Cake Heirarchy ..... 2006/02/11 22:33:27 (permalink)
I rarely eat any of these anymore. But you have me thinking. I know all the portions are now smaller than the ones of my childhood, and I find that innately depressing.

But, I suspect they taste just as good as always, and I so liked them as a kid. Yodels were great. Devil Dogs. I loved the various apple pies. Honey Buns. Snowballs. Those pecan swirls, or whatever they were. I was so excited when we occasionally got Little Debbie cakes in New Jersey. They were from the South. Wow...imported food.

However, what also bothers me is all the additives. Over the years, we've become sensitive to that.

Hence, in recent years, when I do eat cake or pastry, it's usually fresh and from a bakery.

Still, there is that nostalgia thing, that Proustian thing. It's irreplaceable. Therefore, the next day that I surmise I can spare the calories and still stay below "fighting weight," I will march to the cake aisle of the supermarket and buy many.

I will then buy a quart or so of milk. I will then proceed to drive to a park, where I will park my car, eat many cakes, drink milk until I have a milk moustache, and think of the friends of my childhood in the old neighborhood.
The Bear
roadrash
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: The Snack Cake Heirarchy ..... 2006/06/07 19:11:41 (permalink)
Boy do I miss Tastykake chocolate cupcakes and, of course, the piece de resistance - the Tandycake.
Langendorf-Barbara Ann
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: The Snack Cake Heirarchy ..... 2006/11/10 19:56:21 (permalink)
I would put the Langendorf (Southern California) baked "Mickey" Cakes and Langendorf pastries at the top of the list. My father was a route salesman for Langendorf Cakes and Cookies in a white truck while Langendorf Bread was distributed in yellow Barbara Ann trucks out of the same Depots.

Those banana "flips" were a sorry incarnation of one of Langendorf's best "Mickey" snacks, the "Banana Dream" these were two soft cake cups filled with an banana cream that amounted to a soft crusted banana cream pie. The current taco shaped atrocity is really sweet and tastes nothing like the original.

Langendorf had many of the cakes that Hostess had but with different names:

Creme Boats (3pk) = Twinkies
Boom Booms = Ding Dongs
Lil' Devils = Chocodiles
Chocolate and orange cupcakes
A version of the snowball

Their product line included a mini pound cake, mini-donuts that came in miniature versions of the full size boxes (instead of cellophane), and this awesome chocolate wonder called a "Fudge Bar". Under the Langendorf name my dad carried snack size cinnamon rolls, bear claws, butterhorns, and fruit pies with more flavors than you could shake a stick at, full size (like Entenmann's and Svenhard's) pastries like Apple Strudel, butterhorns, Bear Claws, and Cinnamon Rolls (with and without raisins), a full sized pound cake and a Fruit Loaf during the Holidays. He also carried fig bars, "vanilla wafers", and all sorts of Cookies of the "Mother's" varieties like Chocolate Chip, Sugar, Oatmeal, etc.

The funny thing is here in Southern California, Langendorf delivered mainly exclusively to the 7-11 chain, mom and pop grocery and liquor stores and the occasional large independant grocer. At the time, only Hostess and Dolly Madison delivered to the large chain supermarkets but were not allowed in 7-11's. Barbara Ann was mainly a Restaurant and institutional bakery delivering to the occasional mom and pop/independant grocer.

My dad seemed to always have run-in's where he had to share shelf space with a Hostess or Wonder driver (never with Dolly or Weber's though) he used to say (I hate Hostess!) and through an ironic twist of fate, Dolly Madision bought Langendorf Cakes & Cookies, so he was a Dolly guy for while (Dolly Madison cut most of the Langendorf products and repackaged a few under the Dolly label) then IBC sold Dolly to Hostess, and later bought it, Hostess and Wonder so my dad became a Hostess driver.

He retired a couple of years back and laments that the bakery delivery business is not what it once was and is happy to have gotten out. The parent company of Wonder/Hostess filed for bankruptcy and is still trying to get back on it's feet.

Sadly none of the really good Langendorf-Mickey Cakes that I knew back in the late 70's through late 1980's have survived.
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 391
RE: The Snack Cake Heirarchy ..... 2006/11/10 21:40:05 (permalink)
My single favorite snack cake product is the tastyklair pie, followed by their lemon pie.

I loved devil dogs as a kid too.
njkim
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: The Snack Cake Heirarchy ..... 2006/11/10 22:28:38 (permalink)
I used to LOVE the snack cake Suzy Q's when I was a kid growing up in Staten Island, NY. I had one about two years ago and it was SO sweet that it seemed like you could bite the sugar granules.

Tastykakes are huge here, Chocolate Juniors all the way!

Eric B
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: The Snack Cake Heirarchy ..... 2006/11/11 21:43:21 (permalink)
I first saw Mickey Cakes in Virginia in the mid 80's. They weren't by Langendorf, but by American Bakeries Company, and accompanied Merita Bread. Though I did hear of Langendorf being the outfit out west. They were even in all the 7-11's in Richmond. The Creme Boats were a bit wider and flatter on top than Twinkies, and then they also had the raspberry striped ones. I used to like the Creme Horns, but the rest of the stuff pretty much paralleled Hostess. (Made me wonder all the more why Drake's couldn't expand down there. They were so different from everything else, and they could have used some variety!) They did have the taco-shaped Banana Flip, which was much better than the dry crusty Flowers version that used to be widespread back then.
Later, I did see them in NY in Taystee thrift stores. But alot of the products were dwindling by then. I did get a pack of imitation HoHo's but they were called "Choc-O's", and I still have the label.
Then, when I finally got out to California in '89, the IBC-ABC merger had just occurred, the Creme Boats appeared in the Dolly Madison label and were changed to look just like Twinkies and (I never saw Mickey's out there, and thought it was an Eastern brand!) Would have loved to have tried the original Banana Dream. Never saw anything like that over here.
Langendorf-Barbara Ann
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: The Snack Cake Heirarchy ..... 2006/11/12 14:44:43 (permalink)
Eric,

Langendorf-Barbara Ann was owned by American bakeries up until about 1984-85, then it was sold off to Good Stuff Food Company which later aquired Four-S baking (another Restaurant/Institution bakery) from IBC I think in exhange for the Langendorf Cake and Cookie division when I was was a senior in high school which was about 1989. The Langendorf logo was basically the same as the Merita oval logo with the yellow outline.

By 1990 Langendorf was all but a memory as whatever Langendorf trucks IBC decided to keep were stripped and re-stickered with Dolly Madison decals. For a while they used invoices that read Dolly Madison-Langendorf at the top but soon anything Langendorf/Mickey had disappeared. Luckily my dad was able to swipe a Langendorf oval sticker, the smaller one's from the front of the truck from the garage at his depot (which I still have) I also have a bunch of old labels, a couple of pics of the old trucks, and an invoice book, from his Langendorf, Dolly Madison, and Hostess days.

Langendorf was all up and down the west coast from San Diego to Seattle, and all of their bakeries had a clock tower and polished wood floors.

American Bakeries (dba as Langendorf United Bakeries) labels at the time were Langendorf-Barbara Ann, Taystee, Cotton's, and Cook Book, which all shared that same oval logo.

The original banana dream was just that, a dream.
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: The Snack Cake Heirarchy ..... 2006/11/21 00:36:27 (permalink)
My hierarchy would be:

Hostess (the cherry fruit pies and the King Dons and the Raspberry coconut twinkies)
TastyKake
The Dolly Madison folded chocolate cake thing with the whipped cream inside (I think it's Dolly Madison who makes this or Suzy Q is the name)
The Little Debbie Oatmeal Pies and Star Crunches

It's hard for me to rank them just by brand because I have favorites in each of these brands. My least favorite would be the Moon Pie --- they always seem dry.

Andrea
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: The Snack Cake Heirarchy ..... 2008/03/12 16:00:47 (permalink)
Publix today has a new display of TastyKake singles instead of boxed

They had Butterscotch Krimpets $1.29 on sale .99
and also had Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes $1.29 sale price .99
3 snack cakes in each 2-3 oz.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1