The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/01 07:08:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by John A

quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

Gee, I dunno, only having spent the past 20 years or so in ATL, and reading the local gazette as to where the crime is in this town alot is centered around PDL near Zestos and on Moreland where the other Zestos is - which, by the way is not L5P - the old Zestos was there. If you were so comfortable in those areas, you wouldn't need a PPK. Besides, I'd rather have my Springfield Armory XP .45, since all the thugs in those areas carry more than 9MM anyway. That's real.

The best gun to have in a gunfight is the one in your hand. I slip a .380 into a pocket holster while my heavy artillery stays home because it’s impossible to carry concealed without wearing a jacket. Even then it’s easy to accidentally expose it, in Florida brandishing a handgun can get you three years in the pokey.

I gather you are unfamiliar with T-shirt/undershirt holsters. It's a T-shirt with a built-in holster. and an undershirt with one built in. Check out:

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Products.aspx?cat=T-Shirts

www.kramerleather.com

By the way, have you tried an ankle holster? At one time I carried a Combat Commander in one.

Thanks Michael,

I'm familiar with the T Shirt holster. I wear shorts and a golf shirt seven days a week except for a few cold days. it's easier & faster with a pocket holster. I'm seldom very far from my SUV with a G-19 and shotgun within.

John
SassyGritsAL
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/01 09:40:46 (permalink)
Is the topic here guns or burgers, or do they go hand in hand?
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/01 16:16:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SassyGritsAL

Is the topic here guns or burgers, or do they go hand in hand?

They go hand in hand at some of the locations mentioned here. But let's get back to the Varsity. Whattaya have, whatta ya have?
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/02 10:12:52 (permalink)
Like oneiron said, at some places you can't have one without the other.

John
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8365
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/02 10:30:03 (permalink)
Well, now I have to make it a definate place to stop..
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/03 07:35:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

Well, now I have to make it a definate place to stop..

Annie get your gun.

John
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8365
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/03 07:39:22 (permalink)
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/03 07:48:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

The last time I went through the Atlanta airport was about a month ago. It appeared that they were adding several more restaurants?

ATL has very good dining options.

I have often wondered about why the famous Varsity was not at the airport.
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Because if it was the airport authority would have to install around another 2500 toilets.
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/06 09:16:30 (permalink)
Just a bit off subject but I have found that the food court in the international wing of the Atlanta a/p is the best place to eat in the a/p.

However, as much as I love the Varsity I would not chance eating their burgers before boarding an aircraft.
Xu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/14 00:17:12 (permalink)
Don't they have "Varsity Junior" restaruants scattered all around Atlanta anymore?

I did eat at the real one, on North? Avenue years ago, the onion rings were good, I was kind of disappointed in the FO, I remember they put pimento cheese on the burgers.

Oneiron339
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/14 07:18:59 (permalink)
The Varsity now has about 5-6 "Varsities" in metro ATL. Some people called them Jr. Varsity because they were smaller than the original. Athens was the first one, then at LaVista & Cheshire Bridge , now about 4-5 others dot the metro area, in Cobb, Gwinnett, and Clayton Cos. There may be a few others, but, as they say, "I don't get around much anymore." (Actually, ATL is growing so fast, the metro area has zoomed beyond my prowling grounds.)
john c
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/11/15 12:29:32 (permalink)
Regarding Varsity's:
Everyone knows it started in Atlanta, on North Ave. and Spring St.
Luckily, I grew up in Athens, GA (Hi, Ort.!). The first AThens Varsity was downtown, right across from UGA campus archway. The second one opened up near milledge and broad St. many years later.
Then we moved to Atlanta, and a Varsity Jr opened up on LaVista Rd at (Lenox Rd?), then the rest of the suburban ATL sites opened years later.
It's just so infrequently I know something about something, I just had to add my two cents....
ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/11/15 12:49:11 (permalink)
You do the Varsity, because it's unique and an institution, and downtown, which is kinda neat. On a good night, the chili dogs are decent. The onion rings, too. Both the hamburgers and french fries are tasteless.

Zestos blows The Varsity away, when it comes to burgers. And, it can be an "experience" too, late on weekends. Ah, Glock 17 for me, with Gold Dot +P's.

Now, if you REALLY want a grade-A burger, and an entertaining dining experience, you head to Little Five Points, and hit The Vortex. Simple as that... The place has won "Atlanta's Best Burger", from more publications, more times, than I can count.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/11/15 15:23:43 (permalink)
A few months back on public television they had a documentary about fast food restaurants,one that I thought was very interesting was the Varsity and the tradition of both UGA and GA Tech after they play each other in football a lot of the fans and alumni go to the Varsity to celebrate.I believe they said that they sell between 40 to 50 thousand hotdogs on gameday.
Oneiron339
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/11/15 16:40:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by big g in joisey

A few months back on public television they had a documentary about fast food restaurants,one that I thought was very interesting was the Varsity and the tradition of both UGA and GA Tech after they play each other in football a lot of the fans and alumni go to the Varsity to celebrate.I believe they said that they sell between 40 to 50 thousand hotdogs on gameday.

The "Greasy V" as it's known is supposedly the world's largest drive-in and for the number of hotdogs, onion rings, and cokes sold.
Bill Reynolds
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 230
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/02/15 01:35:09 (permalink)
The thing about the Varsity is that if you sit in the parking lot long enough you almost certainly will be given a chance to buy a Rolex for one heck of a price. I have been there two times and got the offer both times.
waiterhell
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/02/15 06:03:52 (permalink)
So, seems as if on the way to fame this site just neuters ANY dissent.....

Man, I hope the Sterns and hangers-on make enuf to justify these tactics.....to us, the original base, and THEMSELVES

What a shame.........
MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/02/15 07:15:22 (permalink)
I can only speak for the chili slaw dogs, fries, and Frosted Orange.  Love the joint and have for nearly 40 years.
Gumbo191
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/02/28 21:44:19 (permalink)

http://eatoutnwa.blogspot.com/
What’ll ya have, what’ll ya have? Driving through downtown Atlanta there is one restaurant that can’t be missed; since 1928 the Varsity in Atlanta is a true road food experience. The world’s busiest drive in serves up to 30,000 diners on a good day, outside pull up for curb side service and place your order with one of the Varsity’s renowned car hops or make your way inside and place your order at the counter when you hear the infamous “What’ll Ya Have?” request from one of counter servers.

Glorified Steak (burger with lettuce and tomato), Heavy weight sideways (chili dog w/ extra chili and onions on the side), order of rings (onion rings) and strings (hand cut fries) walking (order to go). All accompanied by a coke and a frosted orange (whipped frozen orange drink). When in downtown Atlanta you can’t miss the Varsity on North Avenue across from Georgia Tech University. You can visit one of the Varsity’s other locations for the food but visit the original Atlanta location for the experience..
post edited by Gumbo191 - 2009/02/28 21:54:00
SassyGritsAL
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/03/24 17:08:29 (permalink)
I too love the Varsity. Their cilli slaw dog is great. My grandaughter went to Atlanta this past weekend and called me Sun. afternoon and said
"Guess where I am Nanny?" I said I bet you are at the Varasity! and she was. She is 12 and loves the Varsity too. I told her to eat a chilli slaw dog and eat a pile of those great greasy rings for me. I sure was jealous all the rest of the day.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/03/26 19:27:16 (permalink)
eldo7709

I would drive 4 hours from Tallahassee to Atlanta just to have two chili-dogs and one double chili burger from the Varsity

Be my guest.  Report back to us, please. 
MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/03/26 19:59:21 (permalink)
SassyGritsAL

I too love the Varsity. Their cilli slaw dog is great. My grandaughter went to Atlanta this past weekend and called me Sun. afternoon and said
"Guess where I am Nanny?" I said I bet you are at the Varasity! and she was. She is 12 and loves the Varsity too. I told her to eat a chilli slaw dog and eat a pile of those great greasy rings for me. I sure was jealous all the rest of the day.

Yes, those chili slaw dogs are my favorites, too.  Just give me 2 with a Frosted Orange and I'm set.

ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/03/27 00:04:03 (permalink)
Born & raised in Atlanta... My dads's law partner did a lot of work for Frank Gordy. He was who suggested that Frank make cayenne pepper available. Makes the fries work. And believe me, most times they need the help. When done right, the onion rings are a whole other story.

Speaking of done right: the North Ave. location has been dropping the ol' (Ga. Tech) ball for a while now... I have had stale buns, under-done fries, and over-done rings. The last couple visits my onions were without a doubt, of the formerly frozen variety. Slippery slop. And to be sure...you are not safe wandering anywhere, even in the parking lot. I worked Zone 5 for many a year, and it is no better than in the past. Even with off-duty officers, you may very-well have a crackhead stumbling through any of the eating areas.

The 50's were the 50's. It's not the 50's any longer. The Varsity will always be an Atlanta icon. But it's not what it used to be. Period.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/03/27 19:52:11 (permalink)
ULVER

Born & raised in Atlanta... My dads's law partner did a lot of work for Frank Gordy. He was who suggested that Frank make cayenne pepper available. Makes the fries work. And believe me, most times they need the help. When done right, the onion rings are a whole other story.

Speaking of done right: the North Ave. location has been dropping the ol' (Ga. Tech) ball for a while now... I have had stale buns, under-done fries, and over-done rings. The last couple visits my onions were without a doubt, of the formerly frozen variety. Slippery slop. And to be sure...you are not safe wandering anywhere, even in the parking lot. I worked Zone 5 for many a year, and it is no better than in the past. Even with off-duty officers, you may very-well have a crackhead stumbling through any of the eating areas.

The 50's were the 50's. It's not the 50's any longer. The Varsity will always be an Atlanta icon. But it's not what it used to be. Period.

That was my impression a couple of years back when I did my review on it here.  I walked down from the Holiday Inn where I was staying; about three blocks, etc.  I had my PPK in my coat pocket so I wasn't really worried about being accosted.  The food was just plain nasty.  Period.  Atlanta icon or not; the food sucked.

exsquidao
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 409
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/03/27 22:08:15 (permalink)
Not for nothing and understanding the Varsity's history but when I watched the FN episode on them (granted it was a couple of years ago) thier hotdogs did not look all that great to me, then again I grew up eating Hummels (to this day) Weber's and Roesslers (sp).
badbyron722
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/05/26 20:21:57 (permalink)
The Varsity in Atlanta and The Beacon here in Spartanburg are a lot alike.Burgers are average at best,but man the Onion Rings ar the best.Ate at The Beacon today and it was so so,but worth it just for the rings.Best Burger here in Spartanburg in my opinion is Ikes Korner Grill in the Beaumont community.
SassyGritsAL
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/06/01 21:38:58 (permalink)
Went to my great nieces graduation (a whole 12 in her class) and after graduation Friday night we went to the Varsity.

I had my usual two chili slaw dogs and the fries. They were all great. I ate too much and wished I had only ate one dog as I was wanting a peach fried pie. Oh well, there will be a next time at the Varsity.

My two grandgirls conned me into buying them each a Varsity t-shirt ($15 each but they sure looked cute in them). One got a pink one with a retro car on the back, and the other got an orange one with advertising the orange frosty drink).

My niece lives in Powder Springs, GA which is about 25 minutes from Atlanta so we always made a trip to the Varsity.
Large Man
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 76
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/06/01 22:23:42 (permalink)
Had the V for lunch today.  Chili cheese dog with mustard extra raw onions, chili cheese burger with extra raw onions, onion rings and large Coke (not the diet type - wouldn't be right).  Might not be the best ever but it sure did satisfy my itch.  Remember - every roadfood place can't always be the best there is, it just has to be better than the national chains.  Let me see you order a chili cheese dog at the arches!
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/06/01 22:35:32 (permalink)
I can't agree with you about the burgers at the Beacon, badbyron722. I was there early last month and had the chili cheeseburger and onion rings that I've had numerous times before. I love this burger and consider it far better than the one that I had at the Varsity some years ago. It's true that dining at the Varsity is a roadfood experience, but a meal at the Beacon is much more rewarding.   
Large Man
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 76
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/06/01 22:52:38 (permalink)
While I love the Beacon, especially the Beacon Burger aplenty ( that is a burger with everything plus a pound of fries and a pound of onion rings piled on top - feeds a family of four), I do belive the Varsity is cleaner and has better chili dogs.  The rings are a draw.  The V has fried pies, the Beacon great homemade pie.  Beacon has great sweet tea on crushed ice, The Varsity serves the best Coke on crushed ice. The best Varsity is the original in Atlanta by the North Avenue Trade School (that's GA Tech for you outsiders)  I could easily eat at either!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1