The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
georgiadogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 362
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/06/21 22:50:27 (permalink)
If we are talking about the same Beacon in S.Carolina the onion rings were tastless and the tea was made from a syrup base. You just don't do that in the south !!!
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/06/21 23:24:43 (permalink)
Georgiadogs - I believe I saw a story on the Beacon on FoodTV and they actually have a water line coming down from the ceiling because they  sell so much sweet tea?  They fill these industrial urns with sweet tea.  They also have an old timer who calls out your order to the production people while you stand in line?  

It looked like a great place....that's too bad you didn't like it.  I am still determined to try it next time we are in Greenville.  It's 35 miles away.   I'll take a shot.  Maybe this winter.  

The Varsity has good onion rings..Dogs...Just ok.
bigd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
Re:The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/06/21 23:40:44 (permalink)
The Varsity is plain bad. Hasn't been good for years. It is living on it's name. locals with any taste would never go there.
georgiadogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 362
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/06/22 08:15:16 (permalink)

If I hadn't been there and seen it with my own eyes I would not have believed it myself, saw 'em pour the syrup in the tanks and mix it up. You could tell by the flavor also. Thats just blasphemus below the mason-dixon line.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/06/22 22:39:55 (permalink)
I love the sweet tea at the Beacon, and their onion rings are some of my favorites.   
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2009/06/28 17:07:59 (permalink)
I still crave chili cheese dogs (made with pimento cheese like they used to make them, now I have to ask for it instead of american cheese) from The Varsity or a dog with slaw and onions.  They used to serve a good sandwich made with ham and barbecue that is no longer available, and when the onion rings are hot and I am hungry they put a smile on my face.  Fried pies are usually a bit too greasy for me, and last time I checked, they no longer serve almond toffee ice cream, as Mayfield is the supplier now it seems. 
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2011/08/30 11:48:42 (permalink)
I'm curious who supplies The Varsity's top-split buns.  I like them even better than the New England style buns I've had.  
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/08/30 18:31:50
kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 410
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2011/08/30 14:02:16 (permalink)
georgiadawgs

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by anselmo1

A few years ago, I ate at the Varsity downtown near Georgia Tech. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed with the hot dogs and hamburgers. The positive thing were that the onion rings were very good.

What makes the Varsity such an institution in the Atlanta area?

I'll probably get slammed for this, but oh well just my opinion...Being a northerner, I think the Varsity is such a big deal down here because it's an one-of-a kind place in GA, and because the food in general here sucks!

Up north places like the Varsity are a dime-a-dozen and usually much better. But down here it's like some kind of special attraction you won't find anywhere else!

Yeah, you should be slammed. I come from western NY and am transplanted in the south. I love Atlanta and all that it has to offer. I love southern food, flavorful, historic and just plain good! Every time I go back to western NY I remember all of the bland food the area has to offer. Hardly any regional specialties, just boring meat and potatoes. Give me some bbq, brunswick stew, cornbread and 'nanner puddin' any day!
kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 410
RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2011/08/30 14:05:04 (permalink)
Baah Ben

Georgiadogs - I believe I saw a story on the Beacon on FoodTV and they actually have a water line coming down from the ceiling because they  sell so much sweet tea?  They fill these industrial urns with sweet tea.  They also have an old timer who calls out your order to the production people while you stand in line?  

It looked like a great place....that's too bad you didn't like it.  I am still determined to try it next time we are in Greenville.  It's 35 miles away.   I'll take a shot.  Maybe this winter.  

The Varsity has good onion rings..Dogs...Just ok.

I'm thinking that georgiadogs is perhaps a bit one sided, so he probably doesn't like anything southern.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1