The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
2006/08/26 00:02:04 (permalink)

The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech

A few years ago, I ate at the Varsity downtown near Georgia Tech. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed with the hot dogs and hamburgers. The positive thing were that the onion rings were very good.

What makes the Varsity such an institution in the Atlanta area?

68 Replies Related Threads

Farmallcub
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/26 01:47:13 (permalink)
    What da ya hav, what da ya have???
    DoctorDan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/26 08:50:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by anselmo1

A few years ago, I ate at the Varsity downtown near Georgia Tech. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed with the hot dogs and hamburgers. The positive thing were that the onion rings were very good.

Well, Anselmo, I'm a native Atlantan and the Varsity is an institution because it's been around for over fifty years. You don't stay in the restaurant business that long without serving good food at the right price and pleasing the public.
    I can almost agree with you about the hamburgers - average at best, but Varsity chili dogs are as good as any I've ever had and yes, the onion rings are outstanding.
    Four locations in metro Atlanta, and one in Athens, GA all are thriving and crowded most of the time. Ga Tech football Saturdays are especially hectic times for Varsity on North Ave.

Doctor Dan
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/26 09:02:31 (permalink)
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=3412&RefID=228
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/26 09:28:31 (permalink)
    I was born in Atlanta and always have enjoyed the Varsity. Being a graduate of the U. of Ga., we call Tech the "North Avenue Trade School". Even when my family moved away, we would always make the Varsity part of our visit. Now that I am really far away, I still visit there when ever I go back to Atlanta. Of course, every restaurant is better when they are busy, because the food is fresher. I would stack their onion rings against anybodys. They used to have great ice cream, too. They still have a very varied menu, with piminto cheese sandwiches, and even barbeque. The best are their chili burgers and chili dogs. You just order a hot dog, and it comes with chili. I still remember their other restaurant in Athens, right across from the Ga. campus. The good old days...
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/26 09:33:50 (permalink)
    Having spent some time at that learning place on the other side of 85 from the Varsity I will add my comment. Order it to go and be amazed that the paper sack will bee grease soaked within three minutes.
    georgiadawgs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/26 13:52:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by anselmo1

I'll probably get slammed for this, but oh well just my opinion...Being a northerner, I think the Varsity is such a big deal down here because it's an one-of-a kind place in GA, and because the food in general here sucks!

Up north places like the Varsity are a dime-a-dozen and usually much better. But down here it's like some kind of special attraction you won't find anywhere else!
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/26 20:48:14 (permalink)
    Wish this topic was discussed a few days ago. Just had lunch at the Varsity yesterday and for the first time tried the hamburger. Big mistake, should have made it 3 chili slaw dogs instead of just 2 and the burger.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/27 08:54:22 (permalink)

http://www.zestoatlanta.com
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/27 10:19:26 (permalink)
    Zesto's is pretty good but you may get robbed in the neighborHOODS where they're located if you get my drift.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/27 10:32:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339

Zesto's is pretty good but you may get robbed in the neighborHOODS where they're located if you get my drift.

L5P and/or PDL? Get real. Besides, I always have my PPK wit' me, anyways...

The biggest rip-offs in Atlanta have nothing to do with it's citizens, BTW.
    Oneiron339
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/28 07:22:31 (permalink)
    Gee, I dunno, only having spent the past 20 years or so in ATL, and reading the local gazette as to where the crime is in this town alot is centered around PDL near Zestos and on Moreland where the other Zestos is - which, by the way is not L5P - the old Zestos was there. If you were so comfortable in those areas, you wouldn't need a PPK. Besides, I'd rather have my Springfield Armory XP .45, since all the thugs in those areas carry more than 9MM anyway. That's real.
    anselmo1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/28 15:36:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Farmallcub

What da ya hav, what da ya have???

I had a hot dog, a hamburger and an order of onion rings. The hot dog was OK but not charbroiled. I did not notice what kind of hot dogs were utilized but they seemed to have been purchased in boxes. The hamburger was awfully greasy and noticed it was a very cheap grade of beef. The onion rings were outstanding and the best I have had in the south.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/30 07:20:08 (permalink)
    quote:

Gee, I dunno, only having spent the past 20 years or so in ATL, and reading the local gazette as to where the crime is in this town alot is centered around PDL near Zestos and on Moreland where the other Zestos is - which, by the way is not L5P - the old Zestos was there. If you were so comfortable in those areas, you wouldn't need a PPK. Besides, I'd rather have my Springfield Armory XP .45, since all the thugs in those areas carry more than 9MM anyway. That's real.

The best gun to have in a gunfight is the one in your hand. I slip a .380 into a pocket holster while my heavy artillery stays home because it’s impossible to carry concealed without wearing a jacket. Even then it’s easy to accidentally expose it, in Florida brandishing a handgun can get you three years in the pokey.

Oneiron339
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/30 07:27:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

quote:

The best gun to have in a gunfight is the one in your hand. I slip a .380 into a pocket holster while my heavy artillery stays home because it’s impossible to carry concealed without wearing a jacket. Even then it’s easy to accidentally expose it, in Florida brandishing a handgun can get you three years in the pokey.

Not if you have a carry permit and are defending yourself.
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/30 07:58:03 (permalink)
    I would like to know the other places in the north that Ga. dogs refers to. I live in Ct. and am unaware of other places that sell more coke than any other place in the WORLD. They have a two story parking garage. Where are the dime a dozen places with a two story garage with carhops? Put your money where your mouth is. Name a couple of the dozen places. I dare you.
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/30 10:19:19 (permalink)
    I don't know about the "couple dozen" places, but I know CT has a bunch of good hot dog places that have been reviewed here in the past. I agree that no place in New England can compete with the Coke consumption at the Varsity (assuming we're talking about the liquid kind...), but drinking lots of Coke in Coke's hometown is hardly surprising. Besides, that in itself wouldn't compel me to eat the food. But, comparisons aren't always fair--they're almost always subjective.

I've seen the Varsity profiled on TV--it looks like a fun place with a character all its own. I do recall that the onion rings looked especially good. And for it to have lasted all these years in probably the toughest, most competitive business of all, is a testament to its quality and appeal.
    Oneiron339
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/30 16:48:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ciaoman

I don't know about the "couple dozen" places, but I know CT has a bunch of good hot dog places that have been reviewed here in the past. I agree that no place in New England can compete with the Coke consumption at the Varsity (assuming we're talking about the liquid kind...), but drinking lots of Coke in Coke's hometown is hardly surprising. Besides, that in itself wouldn't compel me to eat the food. But, comparisons aren't always fair--they're almost always subjective.

I've seen the Varsity profiled on TV--it looks like a fun place with a character all its own. I do recall that the onion rings looked especially good. And for it to have lasted all these years in probably the toughest, most competitive business of all, is a testament to its quality and appeal.

That's precisely what it is, part food, part fun, part atmosphere. These folks who critique the "V" like it was a 5 star restaurant need to get a life. It's the Varsity for godsakes, not Chez PooPoo. Decent dogs and burgers, great rings and fries, and super fried peach pies w/ ice cream - and alot of fun and atmosphere and history. As Ciaoman says, ANY restaurant, let alone a drive in which has lasted for 3/4 of a century must be doing something right.
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/30 17:17:53 (permalink)
    Never been there.

I wish they would put one in the airport.
    Almost everybody that flies Delta changes planes in Atlanta.
    I'm sure that it would do a booming business for curious travelers on a layover.
    Oneiron339
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/31 07:15:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by long dog

Never been there.

I wish they would put one in the airport.
    Almost everybody that flies Delta changes planes in Atlanta.
    I'm sure that it would do a booming business for curious travelers on a layover.

As I recall, they tried to do just that, but since the mayor's relatives were on the airport concession committee, somebody greased somebody else's palm with some bribes and we ended up with Nathan's. Some folks went to jail, but we still don't have a Varsity at the airport. Excellent idea though, but crooked politics won out.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/31 07:31:12 (permalink)
    The last time I went through the Atlanta airport was about a month ago. It appeared that they were adding several more restaurants?

ATL has very good dining options.

I have often wondered about why the famous Varsity was not at the airport.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/31 21:28:40 (permalink)
    Delta was kind enough to change my original flights home from California a couple of weeks ago.

They thought my family should spend almost 3 hours in the Atlanta airport instead of the 45 minutes that was originally booked.

It would have been a perfect opportunity to scoff down a few dogs and burgers.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18268
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/31 21:47:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

quote:

I gather you are unfamiliar with T-shirt/undershirt holsters. It's a T-shirt with a built-in holster. and an undershirt with one built in. Check out:

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Products.aspx?cat=T-Shirts

www.kramerleather.com

By the way, have you tried an ankle holster? At one time I carried a Combat Commander in one.

LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/31 22:02:59 (permalink)
    Hmmmmmmm an undershirt holster, perhaps I need one of those!

Legal Lady
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/31 22:34:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LegalLady

Hmmmmmmm an undershirt holster, perhaps I need one of those!

Legal Lady

Seems to me you ought to be able to conceal a gun beneath your voluminous robes.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15184
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/31 22:38:14 (permalink)
    Hoffman, Who you callin' Voluminous??
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/08/31 23:36:42 (permalink)
    Hey! Robes is robes. If you can't stand the heat, get outta the courtroom.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/01 00:28:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Hoffman, Who you callin' Voluminous??

Now, Al, you know me. When it comes to voluminous, I'm the model.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/01 02:22:30 (permalink)
    One Never Knows What's Under Da Judge's Robes!
    The Lady of The Law
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: The Varsity---Near Georgia Tech 2006/09/01 02:36:34 (permalink)
    My husband was born there and talked that place up like it was some sort of holy place...ehhh, it wasn't no Sneaky Pete's, Pete's Famous Hotdogs, open since 1948, (two seperate places, both owned by Greeks) or Lyric Hot Dog and Hamburger (amazingly enough, owned by Greeks!) in Birmingham. Having the best onion rings is not biggie to me, I don't like them

Hey, did y'all know nearly every place to eat here is owned by Greeks?
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1