The Virtues of Dried Buttermilk (or not)

Author
GetMeRexKramer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2011/11/21 23:00:16 (permalink)

The Virtues of Dried Buttermilk (or not)

Well gang, here I am again with another request of sorts.

I have been using Pioneer Buttermilk Biscuit Mix for quite some time and want to be able to make my own buttermilk biscuit mix and be able to store it and have it on hand instead of spending $4 for a container that might last me a couple of weeks. But the dilemna that I have is that if I want BUTTERMILK biscuits then I am going to be relegated to either using dried buttermilk in the mix or having buttermilk on hand at the time I am making them.

I have read in quite a few places on the net that dried buttermilk is a poor comparison to the real thing because when you add water to it it's flat. Well I can see that, but I don't have any experience with it. I trust the folks here because of the success that I have had in the past following advice that I have received, so I thought I would come here for feedback.

Why is it so hard to find regular buttermilk anymore? No stores in my area carry it, they are all low fat. I asked about that and everybody tells me this is the way it has been for years now. Does anyone have a good recipe for taking regular milk and adding vinegar to make buttermilk?

What are my options here? I like Pioneer, but want to be able to make my own cheaper than that without suffering quality and flavor.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rex

11 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7782
    Re:The Virtues of Dried Buttermilk (or not) 2011/11/21 23:10:39 (permalink)
    I know nothing on the subject but for that kick you might add a couple drops from whatever is in those plastic lemons.
    GetMeRexKramer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:The Virtues of Dried Buttermilk (or not) 2011/11/21 23:25:43 (permalink)

mbrookes
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1354
    Re:The Virtues of Dried Buttermilk (or not) 2011/11/27 18:50:12 (permalink)
    I use the powdered buttermilk in cornbread, and it works great. I have not tried it in biscuits. To make fake buttermilk add 1 teaspoon of wnite vinegar to 1 cup of plain whole milk. Let it sit for a few minutes and use it like buttermilk.
    zeebaneighba
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re:The Virtues of Dried Buttermilk (or not) 2011/11/27 19:03:28 (permalink)
    I keep Saco Buttermilk Powder on hand; suggestions indicate that it's best kept in the refrigerator after opening the container.  You don't reconstitute it.  Instead, follow the directions on the container or at http://sacofoods.com/prod...ew/cultured-buttermilk for the proportions of powder to water.  Mix the powder with the dry ingredients before adding the liquid.  I've made some awesome buttermilk waffles with the recipes on that site, so I'm a fan of the stuff.  YMMV.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5049
    Re:The Virtues of Dried Buttermilk (or not) 2011/11/27 21:31:48 (permalink)
    I've been drinking an organic pro-biotic Kefir instead of buttermilk lately.
    You might try it or, use Bulgarian drinkable yogurt made without thickening agents.
    The reason I suggest the use of these products is because I've been making my pancakes with them and they come out fantastic! They taste much better than artificially made "buttermilk" and, are really good for you nutritionally.
    All the above are available in all Wholefoods and natural food stores.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10121
    Re:The Virtues of Dried Buttermilk (or not) 2011/11/28 00:12:12 (permalink)
    Never knew there was such a thing as dried buttermilk.
    Go to WalMart to get your Pioneer Mix. $2.97 last time I bought it there. Nothing better than Pioneer Buttermilk Biscuit Mix
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    Re:The Virtues of Dried Buttermilk (or not) 2011/11/28 13:47:24 (permalink)
    I agree with Zeebaneighba on the Saco dried buttermilk. Have used it in the past and found it worked well.  As far as finding buttermilk goes, down here  in NC
    you can't find it in anything smaller than quarts & don't even suggest non-fat!  GetMeRex that must be a Calif. thing!!
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:The Virtues of Dried Buttermilk (or not) 2011/11/28 22:27:53 (permalink)
    I've heard of dried buttermilk but have never seen it in any of the markets I shop.  I buy regular buttermilk by the quart- not non fat - and use it for making cornbread, mashed potatoes and salad dressing.  I also buy the Pioneer Baking Mix but only use it to make dumplings.
    As for biscuits - I've found the frozen buttermilk biscuits are the way to go - no mess or waste.  Even the Walmart brand is really good.

ocdreamr
    Re:The Virtues of Dried Buttermilk (or not) 2011/11/29 13:36:24 (permalink)
    baileysoriginal, The dried buttermilk is usually in the baking aisle

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5049
    Re:The Virtues of Dried Buttermilk (or not) 2011/11/29 13:38:44 (permalink)
    That's where it is in my Kroger.
    ocdreamr
    Re:The Virtues of Dried Buttermilk (or not) 2011/12/04 16:52:06 (permalink)
    I was just at my local Harris Teeter grocery & checked out the buttermilk in the dairy aisle.  Not only was there no low fat buttermilk, they had one that brags about how many butter flakes are floating in their milk!!  Gotta love the South.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1