Hot!The World's Hottest Pepper

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18371
2013/12/27 11:38:10 (permalink)

The World's Hottest Pepper

So, are you ready to try the world's hottest pepper? The proprietor of The PuckerButt Pepper Company in Fort Mill, South Carolina, Ed Currie, has grown the Carolina Reaper, which clocked in at 2.2 million Scoville units.
 http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/national_world/2013/12/27/s-c--mans-peppers-worlds-hottest.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/27/newser-hottest-pepper/4217551/

38 Replies Related Threads

WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1846
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/27 13:21:06 (permalink)
    Gonna pass.  I think at that level they're bred for LEO/military tactical gas application.  I like habaneros, but beyond that the heat drowns out flavor.

And remember kids, at that heat level, you have to endure it a second time upon it's natural exit.  Your GI system will not break it all down.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/27 15:44:38 (permalink)
    I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking that's why it's called The PuckerButt Pepper Company.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2916
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/27 15:50:56 (permalink)
    Michael...I don't understand...maybe you could draw me a picture?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/27 16:03:20 (permalink)
    Nah, I flunked art in fourth grade. It was something about a color being analgesic, androgynous or analogous, or something like that.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/27 19:14:01 (permalink)
    Jalapeno is as hot as I go.  I go through about a dozen a week.  I use them in beans, greens and many other things.  When it gets too hot, it overpowers everything.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3962
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/27 19:19:35 (permalink)
    Sure they aren't calling it the Grim Reaper? That stuff'll do you in!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6765
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/27 20:29:13 (permalink)
    I guess the guy was growing them to get into the Guinness Book of World Records because a pepper that hot certainly is not edible!  I agree that a certain amount of hot is good but too much overpowers everything.
    Texascajun
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/27 23:01:18 (permalink)
    A friend at work wanted me to try some ghost pepper salsa. After enough to just color 1/3 of the chip, I couldn't even eat a bite of my lunch. And yessir "PuckerButt" is a great name and description. 
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4059
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/28 08:13:22 (permalink)
    This race for the "Scoville Unit Cup" reminds me of the arms race in the Cold War, part of which was "who could build the biggest bomb". 

After the Soviets set off a 100 megaton test it was discovered that 100 megatons was only barely more destructive than 15.

As far as biting a pepper, a Serrano is as far as I will go.  As an ingredient, a judicious use of Habanero is my limit.  Anything beyond falls into the Johnny Knoxville/"Jackass" category and I don't play there.
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/28 10:21:08 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

Jalapeno is as hot as I go.  I go through about a dozen a week.  I use them in beans, greens and many other things.  When it gets too hot, it overpowers everything.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Eh...not really.  We eat peppers that are much hotter than jalapenos with alot of our food.  Many super hot peppers have excellent fruity flavors...especially when eaten raw.
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/28 10:25:05 (permalink)
    Texascajun

A friend at work wanted me to try some ghost pepper salsa. After enough to just color 1/3 of the chip, I couldn't even eat a bite of my lunch. And yessir "PuckerButt" is a great name and description. 

Friends of ours in Florida made some Venezuelan/Caribbean pepper sauce and used ghosts...I used it on some arepas they also made.  It was one of the better pepper sauces I've ever tasted...I kept adding it.

It REALLY is in how you use it. 
    Texascajun
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/28 23:54:52 (permalink)
    That sounds correct. I can only imagine the ratio of ghost peppers to other ingredients that he used making the salsa. It was almost like acid on my tongue and I LOVE spicy food. I would love to try some of the fruity flavored hot sauces even if super spicy and I will someday.
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 684
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/29 11:53:06 (permalink)
    I use 1 ghost chile to make 3 quarts of salsa and it makes it extremely hot. They have a great flavor but have to be respected and used judiciously.
    DougS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 476
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/29 15:01:41 (permalink)
    Many a good dish has been ruined with over the top Hot. I grew the worlds hottest pepper last year, can't remember the name but it wasn't PuckerButt or Ghost.
    Small attractive pepper shaped similar to a Habenero.
    One plant beared a lot of fruit.

When people talk about eating extreme hot, it is nothing more than bragging rights.
    TravelingPan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/29 19:39:28 (permalink)
    I eat habis and cook with them, have used ghosts in cooking too. I don't see a problem with something hotter than a ghost, each level of heat brings another level of flavor. It is also a very compact way to season a very large amount of food. With super hot peppers you just use an amount small enough to keep the heat bearable, this will help you experience the added nuances without catching on fire at both ends.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10209
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/29 23:56:16 (permalink)
    Why anyone grows and eats all these different kinds of hot peppers is beyond my level of comprehension.
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/30 12:16:41 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Why anyone grows and eats all these different kinds of hot peppers is beyond my level of comprehension.

Because most of them are very tasty.  It's not all about heat.
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/30 12:22:09 (permalink)
    DougS

Many a good dish has been ruined with over the top Hot. I grew the worlds hottest pepper last year, can't remember the name but it wasn't PuckerButt or Ghost.

When people talk about eating extreme hot, it is nothing more than bragging rights.

The pepper you grew was a Moruga Scorpion...a kicked up version of the Trinidad Scorpion (a former "hottest in the world" pepper). 

I think your comment about bragging rights is dead on...and way off base.  I feel you're right when you start talking about hot sauces that use extracts.  That junk is nothing but heat, and I think it's stupid (for me). 

When talking about real pepper sauce...made fresh with fresh veggies...it's about flavor and not bragging rights.

We have a batch of sauce we mixed up a couple of months ago that had close to a dozen different peppers in it.  Some of those included chocolate habs, Trini Scorpions, red & yellow ghosts, and a plethera of other hots & super hots.  The sauce itself isn't "blow your head off" by any means...but it IS packed with flavor and a great heat level. 
    TravelingPan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/30 19:47:44 (permalink)
    JayL

DougS

The pepper you grew was a Moruga Scorpion...a kicked up version of the Trinidad Scorpion (a former "hottest in the world" pepper). 

I think your comment about bragging rights is dead on...and way off base.  I feel you're right when you start talking about hot sauces that use extracts.  That junk is nothing but heat, and I think it's stupid (for me). 

When talking about real pepper sauce...made fresh with fresh veggies...it's about flavor and not bragging rights.

We have a batch of sauce we mixed up a couple of months ago that had close to a dozen different peppers in it.  Some of those included chocolate habs, Trini Scorpions, red & yellow ghosts, and a plethera of other hots & super hots.  The sauce itself isn't "blow your head off" by any means...but it IS packed with flavor and a great heat level. 

I agree! I did make a batch once that would melt through styrofoam and red solo cups but that was in the beginning of my experimentation with peppers, since then I've come to appreciate different things about them.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6382
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/31 21:47:51 (permalink)
    I have a tub of Habenero Cheese Dip in the fridge as we speak.

For Christmas I got a tube of Ghost Pepper Flakes (like the red pepper flakes found in the little shaker at your local pizza place)

I have several Trinidad Scorpions dried waiting for some creative use.  As for the Carolina Reaper, I will eventually get to try it, just for the sake of saying I did it.

MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2013/12/31 23:36:10 (permalink)
    Bought two blocks of habanero cheddar last week, which was rather ambitious.  After one small slice, I gave both blocks to a neighbor who eats them like a candy bar.
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2014/01/01 13:40:49 (permalink)
    You're not alone, MR. I suspect my reaction would have been the same. Jalepeno is as hot as I can go and, then, very cautiously. Otherwise, I just have to admire those who can eat very hot peppers or tell them that they are nuts. It's just a matter of taste and tolerance, I suppose. I know I have to be more cautious of spice and heat than I was in the past. Just cannot digest as well as I used to. Just keeps coming back, and back.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2014/01/01 16:27:01 (permalink)
    I like the hots, but it's too much for me to deal with them in my own kitchen; I'll get forgetful and rub my eye, and then it's all over.

I agree with those who say the hotter peppers have great flavor. Melinda's makes a line of sauces with various (former) record holders, and each has a different set of nuances: ghost tastes different from scorpion tastes different from naga jolokia tastes different from savina. None of them are "stupid" like the insanity extracts, all are recognizable as food products. Each mush be used cautiously, though, a little bit seasons a lot of food.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2014/01/03 09:38:35 (permalink)
    The seed catalogs are coming in fast now. Most have seeds for really hot peppers.....they seem to be in style right now. There also seem to be more peppers in general. 

I always plant a few kinds, and usually try something "new", but like Mosca, I avoid the ones that require that they be handled with plastic gloves.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3144
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2014/01/03 18:16:23 (permalink)
     I've got about a 5 year old unopened bottle of an extract that claimed to be the world's hottest (at the time). It is iodine shaped with a dropper inside. It was given to me as a gift because I "love hot food".  For the life of me I don't know what to do with it. I've got a recipe for a Melinda's-type XXX hot sauce. I make up a batch that will last me for the year and that's all I need. I supplement that with an occasional use of Sambal Olek. I love hot foods but now it's all about taste not bragging rights. Those are for drunk college age parties.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2014/01/04 10:01:38 (permalink)
    My boss grows a variety of super hots each year and makes sauce. I'm fortunate enough to get a bottle or two each year. Last year he grew Scorpions, and the sauce was a nice yellow color...it's been the best bottle out of what I've received so far.....very hot, but very flavorful.

I make my own Sriracha when I can get fresh peppers at the Farmers Market, I like the Rooster brand but my homemade is better in my opinion.....I always have dried Savina or Ghost powder around, I use them for a super hot Jerky recipe I came up with a few years ago. I call it Armageddon......
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2014/01/04 11:42:33 (permalink)
    rebeltruce

My boss grows a variety of super hots each year and makes sauce. I'm fortunate enough to get a bottle or two each year. Last year he grew Scorpions, and the sauce was a nice yellow color...it's been the best bottle out of what I've received so far.....very hot, but very flavorful.

Does he use alot of mustard?  Scorpions are red, that's why I ask. 

Did he grow regular Scorps or Moruga Scorpions?
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2014/01/08 19:33:21 (permalink)
    I just looked at the bottle to see what his label says....."Devil's Tongue" is what it says...so maybe it isn't made with Scorpions, definitely no mustard in the sauce just fermented peppers and a bit of vinegar. I still have a bit of each bottle...the previous years have all been Ghosts.

A by product of his sauce making are pepper flakes....super hot, but great flavor.
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    Re:The World's Hottest Pepper 2014/01/08 22:03:00 (permalink)
    Yeah if it's just peppers and vinegar, then it should be red.  If it's yellow, then it's likely some other type of pepper.

Some Caribbean sauces use mustard...that's why I asked.

He uses alot of Ghosts?  Could he have used yellow Ghost peppers?  We had some yellow & red given to us this year.  Tasty.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1