The best Oreo

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2004/06/02 10:15:16 (permalink)

The best Oreo

After years of trying different Oreo cookies and Oreo look-alike cookies, I've found the best: Whole Foods' "365" brand. They come in a blue and white box. The cream has a melt-in-your mouth texture that's just right, and it has the perfect level of sweetness. The cookie part has a wonderful chocolate flavor with no artificial taste at all. Perhaps these cookies benefit from the fact that they're not made with any hydrogenated oils. Whatever it is, I'd like to hear if anyone else has tried them and if they agree.

I like regular Oreos (I usually buy the low-fat variety and enjoy the taste more than the original), but the cream in the last batch I bought had a chalky texture and I ended up throwing them away. I really dislike Newman's Own brand. The cream is too thick and essentially tasteless, and the cookie part is dull as well.

18 Replies Related Threads

renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/06/02 10:45:15 (permalink)
    I have had them and I agree that they are far better than Oreos. Remind me of Hydrox of yesteryear. They also have a half and half variety that is great.

it has to do with the fact that they have real ingredients and are of high quality. Supposedly the reason we love hydrogenated oils so much is because they taste good. I find I like the flavor of food better without em.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/06/02 11:35:45 (permalink)
    Is Whole Foods the name of a store or a name brand. I have never heard of them in my section of North Carolina.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/06/02 11:51:06 (permalink)
    Whole Foods is the largest natural and organic foods supermarket chain in the US. In general, the stores are always well stocked with superior ingredients and you pay a price for them. But they are indeed beautiful places to shop and their house brand called 365 is a bargain for very high quality renditions of products ranging from food to beauty products. Even have a good brand of hardwood charcoal.

Anyway, according to their website the North Carolina locations are Durham, Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Chapel Hill, and Cary. Not sure if any of these are close to you. But if you are close to one, I definitely reccomend stopping in.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/06/02 12:46:58 (permalink)
    Whole Foods just opened a great new store in Manhattan, in Columbus Circle (the West 50s, around Central Park). Far beyond anything we're used to here.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/06/02 13:29:26 (permalink)
    I can't wait to try the Whole Foods cookies, although I won't be near one of their stores until later this month.

Ever since Hydrox became Droxies (and tried to copy Oreos), I have been in mourning for the favorite cookie of my youth. At least in my area, the Droxies brand was a dismal failure as I no longer see it on the shelves and perhaps it has been discontinued altogether.

For those of us who prefered Hydrox cookies, the Oreo brand has always been way too sweet. And, danimal15, I agree with you about Newman's.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/06/02 16:42:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip, danimal!! My wife has mourned the death of Hydrox cookies for a long time. She buys Oreos, but longs for the others. Sounds like the Whole Foods version tastes better, and they probably don't have hydrogenated oils, so I may just eat a few myself!
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/06/02 17:34:32 (permalink)
    We were in Canada and had the best Oreos there. They are made by a division of Nabisco I believe; they do not say Nabisco on the box. There are no hydrogenated oils used. The cream is much better and the cookies have a very short shelf life because of the way they are made.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/06/02 20:32:57 (permalink)
    I was at Whole Foods today and sampled the mint flavored "Oreos". They were quite tasty. They have 5 grams of fat for 2 cookies if you are counting.
    danimal15
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/06/03 17:37:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I usually try to limit myself to two cookies (the serving size, with 5 grams of fat), but it's very tempting to just sit down and polish off half a box!

Dan
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/06/04 00:36:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by markolenski

We were in Canada and had the best Oreos there. They are made by a division of Nabisco I believe; they do not say Nabisco on the box. There are no hydrogenated oils used. The cream is much better and the cookies have a very short shelf life because of the way they are made.

I think you must mean Christie's, the Canadian equivalent of Nabisco. My Christie's obsession is Fudgee-Os; there's always a bag or two in my luggage on the way back from Toronto.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/06/17 22:17:38 (permalink)
    Well, I finally got to taste these today.

Here's my assessment - Hydrox, they ain't, unfortunately. Not bad, mind you, but I could eat a whole package of Hydrox at a sitting and three of these was my limit. Just like Oreo's, they have a residual sweetness that overpowers you after a while.

What I liked about them was the cookie part. Nice and chocolatey and not too sweet. It was the filling, however, that let me down. A bit too gooey and, ultimately, just left a bit too much sweetness on the palate.

I'd buy them again - don't get me wrong, but I'm still in mourning for the Hydrox of my youth.
    danimal15
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/08/03 12:14:47 (permalink)
    I've just tried the vanilla ones for the first time and they didn't disappoint. The cookie part is good enough, but it's the cream that makes them special. It's extra thick and rich, with a flavor that's more maple sugar than vanilla. I've never tried Hydrox, but if Hydrox is better than these, I'd be very surprised.
    Matchstick Man
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/10/09 01:36:13 (permalink)
    I'm waiting for Nabisco to come out with Triple-Stuff Oreos.....

tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/10/09 09:03:51 (permalink)
    We did a side by side comparison at my house. The winner: Oreo. Both were rated good, but the Oreo just seemed to have a better overall taste.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/10/10 17:53:07 (permalink)
    An Oreo cookie is a very useful teaching aid I use when I give tours of the Point Bonita Lighthouse as a volunteer for the National Park Service. Take a look at the Light at:

http://lighthousegetaway.com/lights/calif1.html

As for what the Oreo represents, contact me and I will give you a tour. THAT is something I save for the Lighthouse. However, I always ask for someone to volunteer to eat the cookie since I can't talk and eat Oreos at the same time.

Truth be known, I don't care if I ever eat another Oreo, as long as I can use them as that teaching aid!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/10/13 16:46:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Matchstick Man

" />" />" />

That might be the PERFECT cookie!

I don't suppose I could convince Nabsico to just sell me some "middle"?
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/10/13 17:36:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:
    Originally posted by Matchstick Man

" />" />" />

That might be the PERFECT cookie!

I don't suppose I could convince Nabsico to just sell me some "middle"?

You never know, that might be possible - Captain Crunch is selling boxes of just the crunchberries, after all.

You could probably make it yourself - tons and tons of confectionary sugar, a little shortening (butter would give better flavor, but if you want it really authentic, use shortening). Maybe a little milk. It shouldn't be that hard. (Just a thought.)
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: The best Oreo 2004/10/16 20:03:47 (permalink)
    Any of 'em, dunked in milk, are good in my book.

carl reitz
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1