Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The best ice cream at the supermarket

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 79
Williamsburger

• Total Posts: 395
RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Tue, 09/26/06 10:42 AM (permalink)
Everyone seems to like Blue Bunny. I'm not familar with it. I like Turkey Hill and Edy's. Edy's light ice creams are some of the best, if that's a consideration in your planning.
Cathy

improviser

• Total Posts: 865
    RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Tue, 09/26/06 11:02 AM (permalink)
    Ben and Jerry's is my absolutely fav. They seem to be more creative with their flavors.

I will second Paul's recommendation of Mayfield. They have some very tasty flavors, Coyote Tracks being first in my heart. Tried some of their Birthday Cake flavor over the weekend. Pretty good!

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
      RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Tue, 09/26/06 12:00 PM (permalink)
      Breyer's Triple Chocolate and Vanilla Bean for me, nomrally. Another good, albiet, expensive regional ice cream in the El Paso/Las Cruces area is Price's. It is more of a treat for me since a half gallon is 6 dollars. To me, this is the best ice cream I've tasted.

http://www.pricesmilk.com/products.ssd#Containers%20of%20Price's%20Select%20Ice%20Cream

speechpeach

• Total Posts: 239
        RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 10/9/06 7:11 PM (permalink)
        I like most of the Mayfield flavors, although do not care for the peach but the blueberry cream pie and the lemon meringue pie are good, along with coyote tracks and moose tracks and some others. I am eating Blue Bunny spumoni as I type, which is good and I rarely find spumoni, since Kroger does not have it anymore. I found this at one of those grocery stores that you have to look to see what they have once a week kind of thing, and now must go back to see if I can find more of the spumoni. It was $1.00 for a half gallon which is still a real half gallon, not the smaller container that is now so popular.

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
          RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 10/9/06 7:19 PM (permalink)
          thanks, tamandmik,
          guess it's time to give breyer's one more chance.
          i really do miss their butter almond ice cream though.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
            RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 10/9/06 9:57 PM (permalink)
            Love Blue Bunny, can't get it. Schwans has good stuff too. If I was throwing a party, I'd have the Schwans man come by.

For those of you in the West with Ralphs supermarkets, their Ralphs Private Reserve or Lable or Private something or other is an excellent ice cream and a good buy at 2 for 6 bucks.
            It leaves anything by Breyers in the dust. The Reeses Peanutbutter Cup, Cherry Parfait, and Cinnamon Cashew are unbelievably good.

Big_g

RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 10/9/06 11:56 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by TNT17

Hands down, Blue Bell. http://www.bluebell.com/Default.htm

Only in 25% of the country, yet 2nd or 3rd in sales, only behind Dreyers/breyers. Best ingredients money can buy, plus their Bannana Pudding half gallon is over 3 lbs, Mayfield close behind at 2.25 lbs, Blue Bunny at 2 lbs, Pet at 1.9 and Edy's at 1.8 lbs. Also one of the few companies that still make a TRUE half gallon(1.89 liters vs. most companies 1.75 liters).Enjoy the social!

I got to agree with you....we love our BlueBell. We live in E. TN and Mayfield and Blue Bunny are everywhere...but the Wally World in Athens has BlueBell and we manage to score at least two flavors each trip....YUM!

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Tue, 10/10/06 1:11 AM (permalink)
                If I still lived in central new york, it would be Byrne's all natural but since I don't, it would be Breyers.

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                  RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Tue, 10/10/06 1:35 AM (permalink)

I'm from the northeast and there black rasperry is ubiquitous but I can't find it in the south. Does any of the companies sell it down here?

improviser

• Total Posts: 865
                    RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Tue, 10/10/06 2:43 PM (permalink)
                    I picked up some Mayfield Caramel Coyote this weekend. It's very good, caramel ice cream with little caramel cups throughout. It melts faster than other Mayfield flavors, I've noticed. Oh well, I'll just eat it faster.

SAL13

• Total Posts: 1
                      RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 10/12/06 8:09 AM (permalink)
                      Bryers for sure if I am bying off the shelf there is not anything funky stuff added.

captain_keevin

• Total Posts: 28
                        RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Sat, 11/4/06 5:47 PM (permalink)
                        Breyers is tops if you don't want any junk added--just plain high quality ingredients--none of the fillers, puddings, etc., that you get in most commercial brands. Their strawberry is as close to homemade as one can get!

hotdogger

• Total Posts: 88
                          RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Sat, 11/4/06 6:49 PM (permalink)
                          I agree, Breyers is the best.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                            RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Sat, 11/4/06 7:39 PM (permalink)
                            I keep at least two containers of Breyer's strawberry in my freezer always. Agreed as to lack of "funky stuff". Any ice cream with "funky stuff" added remains in grocer's freezer, not mine.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                              RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Sat, 11/4/06 8:15 PM (permalink)
                              I have heard that Turkey Hill is very good but, we don't get it in Dallas.
                              So, my (super market) faves are, Breyers, Hagen-Daz and Ben & Jerry's.
                              But, I usually get gelato from a small local chain, "Paciugo".
                              They do the VERY BEST gelato with unusual flavors like, Rose, Violet and Lavender vanilla.

Bootstrap

• Total Posts: 28
                                RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Sat, 12/23/06 12:20 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Pwingsx

If it's convenience at the grocery store you're looking for, and to keep the expense down from guying it at an ice cream emporium, then I think it's

Ben and Jerry's
                                Breyer's (or do I mean Dreyer's?)
                                Hagen Dazs
                                Blue Bunny

You definately mean Breyers (with a B) :)

But speaking of which, have you complained to Breyers about their going to the cheater containers (replacing the 1/2 gallon size with 1.75)? I have!

toto11

• Total Posts: 46
                                  RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Tue, 12/26/06 8:30 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Bootstrap

quote:
                                  Originally posted by Pwingsx

If it's convenience at the grocery store you're looking for, and to keep the expense down from guying it at an ice cream emporium, then I think it's

Ben and Jerry's
                                  Breyer's (or do I mean Dreyer's?)
                                  Hagen Dazs
                                  Blue Bunny

You definately mean Breyers (with a B) :)

But speaking of which, have you complained to Breyers about their going to the cheater containers (replacing the 1/2 gallon size with 1.75)? I have!

Could be Dreyers/Edy's.
                                  Guess that's better than a unilever product now though isn't it.

Bulldozer Rectangle

• Total Posts: 102
                                    RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 12/28/06 10:39 AM (permalink)
                                    I'm voting for Hagen Dazs in a grocery store.

I find blue bell to be terribly overrated. Too gummy/unnatural tasting for me.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 12/28/06 3:17 PM (permalink)
                                      United Dairy Farmer's
                                      Ben & Jerry's
                                      Hagen Daz
                                      Graeter's
                                      Breyer's

all those have different flavors I like over the others, I don't think I could pick just one over the other though.

toto11

• Total Posts: 46
                                        RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 12/28/06 7:50 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Bulldozer Rectangle

I'm voting for Hagen Dazs in a grocery store.

I find blue bell to be terribly overrated. Too gummy/unnatural tasting for me.

'gummy'? wow, first time for everything, definetely the minority there. must had bought a bad one, or flavor, or maybe 'blue bunny'.
                                        try the cookies and cream, it's one the local cities taste test here 4 years in a row, they do a blind test and take mayfield, breyers, blue bell and edy's, scoop into 3 oz cups, and let everyone taste and guess. amazing how many(91%) picked the 'best' one each time, being blue bell.

rbrittne

• Total Posts: 1
                                          RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Sat, 12/30/06 12:41 AM (permalink)
                                          Hi all..Im brand new to this forum but i MUST correct you (forgot who it was) on one thing...BREYERS IS NOT ALL PURE AND NATURAL AS IT USED TO BE!!! I grew up on Breyers vanilla and cherry vanilla fin the 1950's. Over the years it has changed...since unilever bought it from Kraft in 1993...it went downhill....they now use tara gum...a thickener....why? because they pump the ice cream full of air..I was told %46 air!!!. Breyes is nothing like it used to be....the taste and texture is gone....and its a shame ..it makes me angry and I would really like to see ice cream lovers boycott breyers..untill unilever...A Dutch company....goes back to quality or sells Breyers to someone who care about a quality product not just profits....Sorry for the rant but im really pissed off and i wrote unilever tonight...oh yeah...they sneakily reduced the half gallon container to something like 1.75 litres or something....

trayguy

• Total Posts: 16
                                            RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Sun, 12/31/06 3:35 PM (permalink)
                                            I like HAAGEN DAZS myself . You probably would need the quart size for a party. Of course,you could keep quiet and eat all that HAAGEN DAZS for yourself.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                              RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 01/1/07 10:16 PM (permalink)
                                              About Unilever messing around with American Legacy brands:

I'd really like to see Unilever's American competitors have some fun with Unilever's brands. Run an ad labeled "Our Competitors". Show a picture of some guys drinking Heineken in a farmhouse someplace. Have some wooden shoes in the scene, and some windmills out in the distance. Show an ad for a brothel in Amsterdam posted on the wall.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                                                RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 01/1/07 11:36 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by rbrittne

Hi all..Im brand new to this forum but i MUST correct you (forgot who it was) on one thing...BREYERS IS NOT ALL PURE AND NATURAL AS IT USED TO BE!!! I grew up on Breyers vanilla and cherry vanilla fin the 1950's. Over the years it has changed...since unilever bought it from Kraft in 1993...it went downhill....they now use tara gum...a thickener....why? because they pump the ice cream full of air..I was told %46 air!!!. Breyes is nothing like it used to be....the taste and texture is gone....and its a shame ..it makes me angry and I would really like to see ice cream lovers boycott breyers..untill unilever...A Dutch company....goes back to quality or sells Breyers to someone who care about a quality product not just profits....Sorry for the rant but im really pissed off and i wrote unilever tonight...oh yeah...they sneakily reduced the half gallon container to something like 1.75 litres or something....

I must say that I agree with the above post. I also grew up with the "original "
                                                Breyers. It's now, nothing like the Breyer's of yor.

porkchopexpress

• Total Posts: 798
                                                  RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Wed, 01/31/07 7:48 PM (permalink)
                                                  Purity Ice Cream. In the Middle Tn area I love it.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                                    RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 02/1/07 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                                    We love the Breyer's Natural Vanilla (with chocolate syrup of course!). I like all different flavors of ice cream but the one we buy most is the Breyer's vanilla.

Andrea

John In Seattle

• Total Posts: 55
                                                      RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Fri, 02/9/07 5:53 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:

I agree - you may be interested in this thread:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13115

hoosiergoob

RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Sat, 02/10/07 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                                        I'm with ya man!
                                                        I noticed a slight change in the labeling last fall (2006) in my area (Indiana) and the addition of the gum. The taste and 'mouth feel' are now completely different. I have boycotted the brand since then. It is a shame. I felt it was the only true ice cream on the market. I have switched to Hagen-das, but it is really a custard and just not the same.
                                                        Did Unilever reply?
                                                        quote:

Foxyfishy14

• Total Posts: 192
                                                          • Location: Any City, CT
                                                          RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Fri, 07/6/07 3:43 PM (permalink)
                                                          I love so many different kinds but I'd have to say my favorites are as follows:

Turkey Hill: Party Cake (Vanilla Ice Cream with pieces of cake and blue buttercream frosting swirled in...very sweet..but sooo good)

Ben and Jerry's: Half Baked (Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough swirled with Chocolate Fudge Brownie)

Hershey's (If you can find it): Chocolate

Friendly's: Classic Chocolate and Butter Crunch

TwoJays

• Total Posts: 200
                                                            • Location: Norwood, MA
                                                            RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Fri, 07/6/07 10:13 PM (permalink)
                                                            For pure, premium ice cream, it is Ben & Jerry's, hands-down, for me. Give me a pint of Cherry Garcia or Phish Food any day. Even the frozen yogurt Cherry Garcia is outstanding (and only 680 calories!). I don't even remember the last time I bought a pint of non-B & J's.

However, a local chain here in the Northeast, Brigham's, makes outstanding vanilla ice cream. If you're going to serve vanilla ice cream w/ cake or apple pie, you gotta make it Brigham's.

John
                                                            (Anybody remember the old pints of Howard Johnson's Ice Cream, about 25 years ago? I used to work in a convenience store as a teen, and would down a pint of HoJo's Heavenly Hash on those long lonely Saturday nights in the store. I think I'm still wearing a couple of those pints around my waist)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 79

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com