Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The best ice cream at the supermarket

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 79
frogger67

• Total Posts: 156
The best ice cream at the supermarket Wed, 08/30/06 4:39 PM (permalink)
I am throwing an ice cream social and am interested in hearing feedback and the best store-bought ice cream (not sorbet or gelato or sherbet).

Ben and Jerry's, Edy's, Turkey Hill, Bryers, Hershey, and Jack and Jill have all been requested.

Ice cream fans--need your advice. The only ice cream I buy are the Good Humor boxes.

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
    RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Wed, 08/30/06 4:54 PM (permalink)
    Do you have Schwan’s in your area? They make a good product. The custard from Culver’s is hard to beat. For some reason I like Blue Bunny in the square containers.

long dog

• Total Posts: 295
      RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Wed, 08/30/06 5:20 PM (permalink)
      Personally, I'm partial to Turkey Hill.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
        RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Wed, 08/30/06 5:22 PM (permalink)
        I think Blue Bunny is one of the best...they have a low fat caramel crunch that I can have in abundance on Weight Watchers...their regular ice cream is also excellent....

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
          RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Wed, 08/30/06 5:42 PM (permalink)
          If it is a large social, that may eliminate the small one pinters such as Ben & Jerry's. Of the rest listed, Turkey Hill rates highest with me.

Kiowa1

• Total Posts: 189
            RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Wed, 08/30/06 6:03 PM (permalink)
            Breyer's Rocky Road hands down...

Donna Douglass

• Total Posts: 508
              RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Wed, 08/30/06 6:16 PM (permalink)
              From the super market we like Turkey Hill, but from United Dairy Farmers (don't know if they are in your area) we love their Homemade brand. Lots of flavors and everyone delicious.

Donna

HeidiK

• Total Posts: 2
                RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Wed, 08/30/06 6:38 PM (permalink)
                The concensus seems to be blue bunny and i have to agree. May I suggest Birthday Cake ice cream. It's a favorite at my house! Enjoy your social!

Joisey

• Total Posts: 150
                  RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 08/31/06 11:10 AM (permalink)
                  Blue Bunny definitley! Mmmmmmmmmmmm Bunny tracks!

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                    RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 08/31/06 12:12 PM (permalink)
                    We like Godiva, Dove, and Ben and Jerry. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, the Double Rainbow Ice Cream is the best of all, and much cheaper. I know that DR is common out west but here in the east Trader Joe is the only place that sells it. For a supermarket ice cream nothing touches it.

Sundancer7

RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 08/31/06 12:26 PM (permalink)
                      Folks in the south seem to prefer Mayfields. I certainly enjoy their product and their museum in Athens, TN. The Mayor has enjoyed it and so Have I many times. They have been around for better than 60 years.

http://www.mayfielddairy.com/

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                        RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 08/31/06 12:32 PM (permalink)
                        Before my wife and son gave me a Cuisinart ice cream maker for my birthday, I had a fondness for Breyer's Vanilla. Look at the ingredients: Nothing but milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla. Just great.

Tony Bad

RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 08/31/06 12:33 PM (permalink)
                          I like Turkey Hill best (by far) of the choices you list, but also like Blue Bunny. Haven't had some of the other brands listed, as they aren't available where I live. I just killed off a half gallon of Turkey Hill's "Southern Lemon Pie" flavor last night. Very good!!

MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
                            RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 08/31/06 8:20 PM (permalink)
                            Another vote for Blue Bunny.

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                              RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 08/31/06 9:02 PM (permalink)
                              Godiva's Black Raspberry Chip is excellent!

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
                                RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 08/31/06 9:08 PM (permalink)
                                i won't share my godiva ice cream
                                with the hubster, much less at
                                an ice cream social

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 08/31/06 9:25 PM (permalink)
                                  I enjoyed a double scoop of Culver's Butter Pecan Custard (Waffle Cone) this afternoon. It is a very good Custard.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                                    • Location: Somewhere in time...and Colorado
                                    RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Thu, 08/31/06 11:34 PM (permalink)
                                    If it's convenience at the grocery store you're looking for, and to keep the expense down from guying it at an ice cream emporium, then I think it's

Ben and Jerry's
                                    Breyer's (or do I mean Dreyer's?)
                                    Hagen Dazs
                                    Blue Bunny

toto11

• Total Posts: 46
                                      RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Sun, 09/3/06 10:18 PM (permalink)
                                      Hands down, Blue Bell. http://www.bluebell.com/Default.htm

Only in 25% of the country, yet 2nd or 3rd in sales, only behind Dreyers/breyers. Best ingredients money can buy, plus their Bannana Pudding half gallon is over 3 lbs, Mayfield close behind at 2.25 lbs, Blue Bunny at 2 lbs, Pet at 1.9 and Edy's at 1.8 lbs. Also one of the few companies that still make a TRUE half gallon(1.89 liters vs. most companies 1.75 liters).Enjoy the social!

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                        RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 09/4/06 1:54 AM (permalink)
                                        I love the ice cream at Byrne Dairy store in Central NY and at Stewart's Shops also in CNY (and Vermont). My mom has a Stewart's down the street from her house and when I go home to visit,I usually get a half gallon of the CRUMBS ALONG THE MOHAWK-
                                        Graham cracker flavored ice cream liberally sprinkled with graham cracker pieces and laced with a caramel swirl. Sometime they have small sized boxes of ice cream that are perfect for one person to finish in a sitting. I just saw this next one on their site and want to try it in the worst way!! MEDIEVAL MADNESS LIGHT
                                        Malt flavored light ice cream with 3 Musketeers® candy bar pieces. Oh yeah!

pbanjo

• Total Posts: 22
                                          RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 09/4/06 8:49 AM (permalink)
                                          If you like Stewart's ice cream be sure to sample Adirondack Bear Paw. I don't know what they do to it, but it is by far the smoothest, creamiest vanilla base in their line. Very good.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                            RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 09/4/06 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by jmckee

Before my wife and son gave me a Cuisinart ice cream maker for my birthday, I had a fondness for Breyer's Vanilla. Look at the ingredients: Nothing but milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla. Just great.

Ingredients. That's the way I look at it. If a commercial ice cream has anything in it that I wouldn't put in same when making homemade ice cream; then I don't buy it. Needless to say, that eliminates quite a few brands.

mrmet6986

• Total Posts: 22
                                              RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 09/4/06 11:04 AM (permalink)
                                              I think the best supermarket ice creams are Edy's/Dreyer's,Turkey Hill and Blue Bunny.

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
                                                RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 09/4/06 11:38 AM (permalink)
                                                I am bemused by the references to Wells Blue Bunny ice cream. I grew up 26 miles from LeMars, IA and Wells Blue Bunny was our local dairy. Actually, Akron, IA had its own dairy when I was younger.

There was nothing special about it as I remember. When Breyer's came along, we thought we had died and gone to heaven. My grandmother called the Breyer's vanilla, dirty ice cream, because of the flecks of vanilla bean.

Either Breyer's has gone down hill or peoples tastes have matured. It is nothing special anymore.

Apparently, Blue Bunny now offers premium ice cream. I can't believe it is available here in Florida.

I have friends that work at Wells. I think it is great, what a success story. A dairy in a small mid-western town makes it big.

There is more ice cream made in LeMars, IA than anywhere else in the world. AMAZING.

Cakes

wallhd

RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 09/4/06 1:48 PM (permalink)
                                                  Stewarts ice cream is pretty good stuff, but, AFIK, only sold thru their own stores in New York and parts of Vermont. One of their newer flavors, Mint Marcy, along with old stand-by butter pecan, are my favorites from Stewarts.

Perry's Ice Cream is made in Akron, NY (Buffalo area) and is darn good too. I'm not sure how large their marketing area is though.

Nobody asked me, but, as far as I'm concerned, Ben and Jerry's is both overrated and over priced. Their plant tour in Waterbury, VT is mostly a lot of stupid hype as well. Even at the senior discount price of $ 2, it ain't worth it!

Wally

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                                                    RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 09/4/06 2:14 PM (permalink)
                                                    I concur with Wally. Ben and Jerry's is not the same since being bought out by Unilever.

Seems once a good product comes along some conglomerate is sure to buy it out and cheapen the product, hoping the public doesn't catch on.

startrooper00

• Total Posts: 110
                                                      • Location: west liberty, KY
                                                      RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Mon, 09/4/06 10:17 PM (permalink)
                                                      I have to vote for Blue Bunny!!!!

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                        • Location: columbus, oh
                                                        RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Tue, 09/12/06 8:45 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Theedge

Do you have Schwan’s in your area? They make a good product. The custard from Culver’s is hard to beat. For some reason I like Blue Bunny in the square containers.

I got the bunny tracks in the small container.
                                                        Oh boy.. it was so good.
                                                        I didnt care for the vanilla though.
                                                        I did have some Schwans pina colada sherbert/ice cream, or whatever it was..
                                                        That was killer!

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                                          • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
                                                          RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Fri, 09/22/06 8:28 AM (permalink)

===If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, the Double Rainbow Ice Cream is the best of all, and much cheaper. I know that DR is common out west but here in the east Trader Joe is the only place that sells it. For a supermarket ice cream nothing touches it.====

I second that recommendation. I think TJ's only carries vanilla and a very rich chocolate, but dang that stuff is thick, rich and creamy. It is comparable to any premium out there.
                                                          Currently my choices for a brand is whatever is reasonable and good enough for me to make home made chocolate malts.
                                                          I have a bunch of hot fudge sauces and should get a good vanilla to compliment them.

But given a choice, I want a good ice cream sandwich or cone with the chocolate coating inside...

mark

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6208
                                                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            RE: The best ice cream at the supermarket Fri, 09/22/06 9:16 AM (permalink)
                                                            Another vote for Blue Bunny! I have been to Le Mars, MIL is from there, one neice is married into the Wells family. I like Bunny Tracks but SO and my best friend like Chocolate Cherry Bordeaux. Personally I don't care, it's all really good ice cream.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 79

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com