The best racetrack burger

Author
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
2006/04/29 20:17:09 (permalink)

The best racetrack burger

OK...OK.. I started this tongue in cheek because of the best in the south and best baseballburger threads. From the dirt track bullrings to Pocono Speedway and Daytona, I don't think Ive ever had a GOOD burger, frozen patties overcooked on the grill is the norm. At least they are semi-edible..I guess its the ambiance and the perfume of hi octane fumes

17 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/05/01 07:28:42 (permalink)
    We drag race in many different cities but the best burger has to be at the Las Vegas NHRA track. They are huge, charcoaled grilled and tasty. I usually get them fresh and hot right off the grill.

I just returned from the NHRA races in Bristol which is appropiately named "Thunder Valley" because it is situated directly between two mountains. The concessions were OK but not the variety and diversity that I have experienced before.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/05/01 07:52:33 (permalink)
    When in Daytona go to the Brickyard, it's a couple of miles east of the track on International Speedway Blvd. It may not be the best in the south but it's damn good.

John
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/05/01 08:04:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

When in Daytona go to the Brickyard, it's a couple of miles east of the track on Inernational Speedway Blvd. It may not be the best in the south but it's damn good.

John

I believe that site was mentioned by "WhereGregEats". If I am correct, he gave it good reviews.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/05/01 09:23:13 (permalink)
    I've never had a burger at MIS, but I've seen them... No thanks! Hot Dogs are overpriced as it is, scared to even look at the burger prices. Ones I've seen look similar to those 99 cent varieties McD's sells... thin and flat...
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/05/01 10:53:18 (permalink)
    It's not at the track, but the GQ number one from Le Tub, is just minutes from Gulfstream Park in Hollywood, FL.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/05/01 17:11:58 (permalink)
    Road America Raceway at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. The concession stands are run by local groups such as the Boy Scouts or the Catholic Church. They all are in permanent buildings and use charcoal fires. I first went there in about 1969 and went every year for 12 years. The burger was excellent. It was the last burger I ever ate there as the next sandwich I had was the first bratwurst I had ever even seen (I am from Iowa).

Cakes

dreamzpainter
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/05/01 17:45:13 (permalink)
    The Brickyard is on my list of Daytona restaurants to visit unfortunately most of my trips to Daytona are done late at night and only Waffle House is open (a 90min interstate ride helps to clear the head)
    Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/05/02 22:48:39 (permalink)
    WOW!!! This is a topic after my own heart! Racing + Bugers = HEAVEN (for me).

As an avid sports car fan and active road racer, I have been to most of the tracks around the US and Europe. I'll save the best for last (as I just had it a couple of weeks ago) but let me start by saying that most track burgers are not good at all. I completely agree with DreamZPainter about the quality of meat served at these venues! On the other hand, there are a few places that come to mind that serve decent burgers AT the track. On the other hand, there are numerous places outside different tracks and even more a few miles away. Here are my favorites.

Best Burgers AT (inside) the Track:

Sebring, FL - there is a catering service that hauls a trailer and they are at most local races and Driver's Edication events. These guys cook a mean burger and that is good and bad. The good is that it tastes GREAT. Thick (at least 1/2 lbs), juicy and the bun is very basic. The bad is that they want $8.50 for one and $9.00 for a cheeseburger. Of course, they know you are stuck with them as the closest thing is a McDs about 5 miles away and for a few $ more, you can have a decnt burger.

Road America, WI - As my friend, Cakes said earlier...these burgers are GOOD! Nice people and nice choices! Can't wait to go back.

Moroso Motorsports Park, FL - Known as the "A Frame" this little hut inside the track has alway been known to serve the worse god-aweful crap around. Luckily, new owners took over and decided to make some sweeping changes. They started with their Burgers and boy, they did something right! Like the bugers up the street at Sebring, they make these things monsters and very tasty!

Thunderhill Raceway, CA - Owned by the local SCCA Club, I was last there in 2000 and they had a local outfit that was serving backyard burgers. Two guys who were instructed to go out and buy a ton of ground chuck and serve up burgers all day. Hand made and properly grilled to perfection!

Laguna Seca (now Mazda Raceway), CA - The last time I was there was for Porsche's 50th Anniversay in 1998 and I personally don't know if the track paid for it, the local Porsche Club of America or the Porsche Factory but there was an outfit there that was hired to serve burgers, dogs, BBQ and sandwiches that was outstanding. I have no idea if they are still there or not but it sure was good to eat a burger before making that monster climb up to the carousel. Phew!

Basically, road racers like me LOVE to joke with our friends and competitors to make sure to "lose weight" before heading out for a session by hitting the bathroom first. Of course, we always manage to get together to tell the guys we don't like to try the track burgers before racing, claiming that they give us stamina but all the while knowing that they are always a TRUE SLIDER! We know that when they make their pit stop they always have to unbuckle their harnesses, climb out of their racing seats, through the roll-cage and run like HELL to the bathroom which is NEVER close by. Most of the time, the old Butt-Clinch is a dead giveaway and you can always hear people laughing up and down the pits.

Now for the serious one.....two weeks ago while I was in Daytona, I finally took my good buddy here (WhereGreggEats.com) advice and visited what he considers to be the BEST burger, PERIOD! That is a strong statement and when he said that I took him seriously because I know he knows that he is talking about. Let me tell you all that The Brickyard Cafe in Daytona Beach (about 2 miles east of the Speedway on Intl Speedway Blvd.) is one of the BEST burgers I have EVER had! How good is that, you ask? Well my wife is 6 months pregnant and for some reason, all red meat has an aweful metallic taste to her at the moment. She has not eated ANY red meat, especially burgers in over 6 months. When I insisted that she taste my burger, she ate the whole damn thing, which prompted me to order another, which she ate 1/2 of that one too. These things are NOT small, mind you and she waffled them down like a dinosaur! Bottom Line, the Brickyard is worth a trip to Daytona in of itself!

Well, if I think of any more I will let you guys/gals know. Until then, DON'T LIFT and NEVER eat the track burgers before racing!!
    dreamzpainter
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/05/03 19:09:54 (permalink)
    How can you not like this place.... youstart a thread as a joke and it turns into a serious topic! Bluemaxx..keep the shiny side up
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/09/03 14:16:19 (permalink)
    race trak burgers, we have 2 names for them, speedway steaks or hockey pucks. they all taste like 100 lap right rears. I stick to the dogs.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18952
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/09/03 14:26:16 (permalink)
    I'm sort of partial to the burgers at Beulah Park in Grove City, Ohio. I prefer the ones in the clubhouse, but the grandstand burgers are pretty darned good, too. Of course, the bugers at Scioto Downs aren't bad, either. I understand that at both tracks they grind up the losers for the hamburger meat. Great stuff.
    GB944
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/09/03 14:56:44 (permalink)
    I remember my first visit to Daytona, in 1999, at the 24 hour race. They were offering what they called "Gourmet Burgers". After having one, our nickname for it became "Grommet Burgers."

Here in the Northeast, Lime Rock has a pretty good burger, but the track is the one you love to hate. Pocono and Watkins Glen have stolen the burger recipe from Daytona. Mosport and Mt. Tremblant have good offsite food, but nothing on site.

Sorry for my mostly non-NASCAR bent here, but I'm a PCA road race junkie, so that's where I go.

:-)

Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/09/05 00:19:03 (permalink)
    GB944 - I am a PCA Road Race junkie as well. You heading to Daytona in October for the PCA Club Race there? Unfortunately, I won't be able to race that weekend but I will come up for a day to watch. I do plan to race at Daytona for the first PBOC race in April though. Can't wait to get back to The Brickyard ASAP!
    sk bob
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/09/14 22:42:15 (permalink)
    not to get off the thread here, but did anyone hear the one about the guy that went to the resturaunt next to the bullfighting arena after the event?
    sk bob
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/09/20 20:39:52 (permalink)
    the guy sat down and saw the waitress bring a beautiful dish that looked like two large meatballs to another table.
    the waitress came back and asked if he was ready to order, the man replied I'llhave what you brought to that table,sorry sir thats a speacial order we only have once a week.
    anyone want to finish the joke?
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/09/20 23:09:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    sk bob Posted - 09/20/2006 : 20:39:52
    anyone want to finish the joke?

Since there are 6 bulls killed in each Corrida I would think that this restaurant would be able to serve at least 6 servings and perhaps even more if someone ordered a half order or perhaps a child's plate. .......... lol
    That said how about you finishing the joke because you evidently are not talking about bulls testicles
    sk bob
    RE: The best racetrack burger 2006/09/23 13:05:21 (permalink)
    the guy comes back a few weeks later and the waiter tells him he is in luck, they have the special, he orders it and it arrives shortly.
    after he finishes the waiter asks how it was?
    the man said it was great, but the order looked smaller than what he had seen before.
    the waiter replied, sometimes the bull wins.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1