Hot!The best "store-bought" pizza dough ... discovered!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4095
Re:The best "store-bought" pizza dough ... discovered! 2014/01/11 11:04:25 (permalink)
I am very happy that many of you have tried and have been pleased with the Safeway dough.

Prior to our discovering it, the best home-made pizza came from dough we picked up at our local (Allen, TX) Grimaldi's, where recently we enjoyed the best in-restaurant pizza crust ever.  (If you're on their e-mail list they send you a coupon for a large one topping pie -  an $18. freebie).  

For home use we have found the Safeway dough to be every bit as good and easier to handle.

BTW:  Mrs. Metro sprinkles the corn meal on the pre-heated stone just before she lays the raw dough on it.  The corn meal never burns.  Afterwards, we just rinse and wipe; our stone is so well seasoned that there is no way any water would be absorbed by it. 
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8364
Re:The best "store-bought" pizza dough ... discovered! 2014/01/11 11:05:20 (permalink)
The best store bought dough I have purchased is found at independent Italian bakeries and delis. Otherwise we make our own.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6374
Re:The best "store-bought" pizza dough ... discovered! 2014/01/11 12:11:58 (permalink)
I haven't a clue as to why you would put corn meal on a pre-heated stone. Corn meal, semolina flour or even regular flour is often used on a wood peel or flat sheet to give it some "lubricant" grit to slide a pizza off a peel or sheet onto a stone. Once a pizza is in contact with a hot stone it is not going to stick and the desire is to not have too much of the "lubricant" from the peel to get on the stone. Corn meal does burn more readily than semolina flour and neither adds anything to a pizza, IMO, but semolina flour does have a more simpatico taste to Italian, again IMO.

I am experimenting with prepping personal pizzas on parchment paper and putting pizza and parchment paper on the stone. Since parchment paper burns at 420 degrees you should slide it out from under after a couple of minutes if baking above 500 degrees. I read about another guy who sizes the parchment paper to be covered 100% by the pizza dough and claims the parchment paper doesn't burn that way since it is not exposed to oxygen. Of course everything will burn if you leave it in long enough.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4095
Re:The best "store-bought" pizza dough ... discovered! 2014/01/12 08:09:58 (permalink)
My wife constantly "experiments"; the corn meal on the hit stone is just her latest "twist" and it has worked well so far. 

If something goes terribly wrong, Grimaldi's is only a short drive away.
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re:The best "store-bought" pizza dough ... discovered! 2014/01/12 11:13:34 (permalink)
NO cornmeal, NO flour, NO mess, and NO other "lubricant" needed. This is the peel to get. Watch the videos. This is exactly how it works.
http://www.superpeel.com/
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1