The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The city with the most fast food restaurants?

chriscubva

• Total Posts: 118
The city with the most fast food restaurants? Wed, 03/28/07 4:41 AM (permalink)
Last night as i was driving to work I heard on the radio that the American city sporting the largest number per-capita of fast food restaurants is...

Indianapolis with Denver being a close second.

Any truth to that? The guy on the radio went on to say that "every" chain has a location in those two cities. Well right of the bat I know that is incorrect. For starters Jack-In-The-Box doesnt have an Indy location at least according to their website they dont nor do they have one in Denver either.

Besides with some chains being regional, I dont think any city can make the claim that they have every fast food chain there is.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Wed, 03/28/07 12:29 PM (permalink)
    Because of the unusual city limits and surrounding suburbs boundries Los Angeles might be ruled out, but in reality the immense spread of the city has to include way-more than Indy or Denver...I am disregarding the per-capita comments and just going for the Gross-Count (pun intended)!

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
      RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Wed, 03/28/07 1:34 PM (permalink)
      What about the contrast-which US place has the most Independent eateries per capita?

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
        RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Wed, 03/28/07 2:05 PM (permalink)
        If you can determine which city in the US has the highest rate of obesity, then you have probably identified the city with the highest per capita representation of fast food restaurants.

I could well be mistaken on this point, but I seem to recall some information to the effect that Dallas had the highest rate of obesity in its population. If that is true, I think that you may have found the winner (?) of the per capita fast food restaurant count.

Gizmolito

• Total Posts: 312
          RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Wed, 03/28/07 2:06 PM (permalink)
          It makes some sense in a "per capita" survey, since all of Marion County is counted as part of Indy's population (with the exception of 2 towns, Speedway and Lawrence).It's Richard Lugar's Unigov, from when he was mayor.

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
            RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Wed, 03/28/07 4:30 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by bill voss

What about the contrast-which US place has the most Independent eateries per capita?

Probably smaller towns that have an artsy reputation, with well defined centers, college towns, etc, and where land use planning is seen as an art form. Such larger cities would include San Francisco, or Portland Oregon. Smaller cities might be something like Boulder Colorado, or Santa Fe. My .02

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
              RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Wed, 03/28/07 5:18 PM (permalink)
              Boulder has plenty of fast food restaurants.

Denver, while maybe not playing to ALL the chains, probably has more of the same restaurants scattered over. I used to marvel at going down to my ex-boyfriend's house in Aurora at seeing so MANY Burger Kings on my route. And Subways.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Wed, 03/28/07 5:23 PM (permalink)
                Hey Tedbear, funny you should say that about the obesity rate. Colorado is rated as one of the lowest-rated in obesity, yet it seems Denver is also rated as high with the fast food chains. Just doesn't make any sense, does it?

Sundancer7

RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Wed, 03/28/07 5:55 PM (permalink)
                  I think Knoxville for its population vs. fast food restaurants is getting close. It is getting harder and harder to find a mom and pops. There are still many around but due to the proximity to I-75 and I-40 and the hundreds of thousand of cars that pass through here, it makes it almost impossible not to have them around.

Knoxville and the area around it is very touristy. I guess that is why all of them are around.

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

mr. sausage

• Total Posts: 75
                    RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Thu, 03/29/07 2:50 AM (permalink)
                    Don't know about cities, but the whole state of Ohio could win some kind of award. If fast food has an epicenter, it must be the Buckeye state.
                    I read recently that Houston was the most obese city.

cathyftr

• Total Posts: 87
                      RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Thu, 03/29/07 4:27 AM (permalink)
                      Several years ago I believe it was USA Today that ran a story about cities on a per-capita basis which had the most chain restaurants and if memory serves correctly it was Columbus, Ohio that was the "winner", however both Denver and Indianapolis were indeed in the top 5. Buffalo, NY was up there too I can recall( though being a dying city as it is, I have some doubts on that pick ) and interesting Richmond, Virginia made the list too. If this list only includes chicken fast food and those all you can eat buffets then Richmond could quite easily be tops. Back in the early 90s when I was there on business it was rather shocking to drive on Broad Street ( their main street ) and see all those chicken and buffet places, which it seems to be located on every other block.

Somewhat off topic but a friend of mine a few years back relocated to Indianapolis and I remember her telling me once about how she was amazed at the number of supermarkets that city had. Not just multiple locations of the same chain but rather the number of chains that serve that area. I believe she said nine or ten different chains had stores there. If that is true then that is very unusual since many larger metro areas such as Baltimore-Washington, Philadelphia, and I believe even New York City are served only by at least 4 or 5 different chains maybe 6 tops but not ten.

On the flip side of this, the largest city with the smallest per-captia number of fast food I would guess has to be San Francisco. Isnt this the same city that doesnt allow big box stores? If so I wouldnt be surprised if they had a limit on fast food places as well.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Thu, 03/29/07 7:00 PM (permalink)
                        San Francisco made the news again today...passing a law requiring grocery bags to be bio-degradable. No more choices between Paper and Plastic...Plastic is OUT ! I guess the K-Mart will go back to paper bags.

FlippyTheRed

RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Thu, 03/29/07 8:51 PM (permalink)
                          How can it not be Breezewood, PA? I suppose that's not really a city.

cornfed

• Total Posts: 344
                            RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Thu, 03/29/07 9:33 PM (permalink)
                            Cheyenne has to be close.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                              RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Thu, 03/29/07 9:34 PM (permalink)
                              Indianapolis is a chain dream. They may very well have more chains per capita and a wider variety. I know their variety is considerably greater than Minneapolis/St. Paul. Indianapolis might be too much chain restaurant oriented. Despite that, they still have the most restaurants with quality breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches.

As far as Super Markets go they have O'Malia's, Marsh, Kroger, Super Wal-Mart and SuperTarget. Cub stores pulled out completely because of the intense competition. Marsh was recently sold.

For quality Super Markets I like Minneapolis/St. Paul. We have three top-notch upscale regional independents in Lund's, Byerlys and Kowalski's. We also have Rainbow, Cub, SuperValu, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Wal-Mart Super and SuperTarget. We also have some very good local coop food stores.

ChiTownDiner

RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Thu, 03/29/07 10:18 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

San Francisco made the news again today...passing a law requiring grocery bags to be bio-degradable. No more choices between Paper and Plastic...Plastic is OUT ! I guess the K-Mart will go back to paper bags.

Hi Mr. Mayor - In SanFran for the week - enjoyed Sear's for breakfast yesterday. The plastic bag deal is all over the newspaper. It seems by my reading, they have only outlawed the plastic bags from large food stores. The article I read indicated 45,000 additional places will still be using plastic. Perhaps it's veiwed as a start.

dickestep

• Total Posts: 533
                                  RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Thu, 03/29/07 11:47 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by mr. sausage

I read recently that Houston was the most obese city.

tamandmik

RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Fri, 03/30/07 9:44 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by FlippyTheRed

How can it not be Breezewood, PA? I suppose that's not really a city.

More like a transition point off the PA Turnpike to I-70, I think. The exit ramp leads you to a mile long strip of fast food establishments, and this little strip bridges the gap between the two major highways. It's the perfect storm: there are stop lights one must go through to get back on the interstate, which makes for a fine stopping point to re-fuel, and eat. I wouldn't be surprised if Breezewood also had the most gas stations and truck stops per capita, as well.

drpep

• Total Posts: 335
                                      RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Fri, 03/30/07 10:36 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by cathyftr

Buffalo, NY was up there too I can recall( though being a dying city as it is, I have some doubts on that pick )

Believe it. I've been to Buffalo and it's suburbs many times. Not only are the notable national chains there but many Buffalo area chains such as Andersons, Mighty Taco, Jim's Steakout and Ted's plus local sub shops and pizza shops with multiple outlets.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                                        RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Fri, 03/30/07 12:09 PM (permalink)
                                        Of course Breezewood is not a city, it's motto is "Town of Motels"

RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Sat, 03/31/07 3:32 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Davydd

Marsh was recently sold.

Upon reading this my question was, who bought them? Kroger? Safeway? Wal*Mart? I went to Marsh's web page and found no news whatsoever on the buyer. Then I did a Yahoo! news search and found out the buyer was not a competitor, but rather a Florida investment firm.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9546
                                            RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Sun, 04/1/07 1:08 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Sundancer7

I think Knoxville for its population vs. fast food restaurants is getting close. It is getting harder and harder to find a mom and pops. There are still many around but due to the proximity to I-75 and I-40 and the hundreds of thousand of cars that pass through here, it makes it almost impossible not to have them around.

Knoxville and the area around it is very touristy. I guess that is why all of them are around.

Paul E. Smith
                                            Knoxville, TN

Plus, you have all them UT Kids up there. Their idea of a 7 course meal is a six pack of Old Milwaukee and a Whopper!

Davydd

RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Sun, 04/1/07 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by 45013

quote:

Marsh was recently sold.

Upon reading this my question was, who bought them? Kroger? Safeway? Wal*Mart? I went to Marsh's web page and found no news whatsoever on the buyer. Then I did a Yahoo! news search and found out the buyer was not a competitor, but rather a Florida investment firm.

Yes and no longer a locally owned super market.

drpep

RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Mon, 04/2/07 9:38 PM (permalink)

Tedbear

RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Thu, 04/12/07 12:34 PM (permalink)
                                                  According to an article on CNN.com today, it looks like Oklahoma City has the dubious distinction of having the most "heavy users" (perhaps a pun?) of fast food. See below for a link to the article:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/12/magazines/fortune/pluggedin_boyle_fastfood.fortune/index.htm

tamandmik

RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Thu, 04/12/07 4:03 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Tedbear

According to an article on CNN.com today, it looks like Oklahoma City has the dubious distinction of having the most "heavy users" (perhaps a pun?) of fast food. See below for a link to the article:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/12/magazines/fortune/pluggedin_boyle_fastfood.fortune/index.htm

I find it interesting and telling that all the top fast food consuming cities are south of the Mason-Dixon line, and the cities that partake in it the least are all north of the Mason-Dixon line. That was one of the points mentioned in the story.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                      • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Thu, 04/12/07 5:57 PM (permalink)
                                                      Here I thought it was my home town, heck we got 3 McD's within 5 miles

angeltearsmc

• Total Posts: 319
                                                        • Location: johnson city, TN
                                                        RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Fri, 04/13/07 3:10 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:

quote:
                                                        Originally posted by 45013

quote:

Marsh was recently sold.

Yes and no longer a locally owned super market.

I used to work for a catering company just outside of Indy that was owned by Marsh... I wonder how this has affected them?

Tedbear

• Location: Somerset, NJ
                                                          RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Sat, 04/14/07 8:06 AM (permalink)
                                                          According to the latest issue of Business Week, the city (town?) of McAllen, Texas is the winner in terms of the most fast food joints per person. I guess that, like with most statistical measures, there are many ways to evaluate the same thing, thus leading to different answers from various sources. Since I patronize places like this perhaps twice a year, it is not really relevant to me, but I still find it interesting to see how many people rely on these places for their regular "nourishment".

Davydd

• Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                            RE: The city with the most fast food restaurants? Sat, 04/14/07 11:20 AM (permalink)
                                                            You can go by shear numbers and the large metro areas would naturally have the most.

You could go by per capita and the McAllen, TX places would be well represented.

You could go by how many different chains are represented and I think the mid cities would come into play like Indianapolis and Columbus, OH.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com