Hot!The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 681
Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/08/09 09:03:23 (permalink)
I actually remember Arby's serving beef sliced from a real roast back in the mid 70s, and remember how much my parents were disappointed when they shifted to the processed meat rolls.

I haven't been to an Arby's in probably a decade (I'm pretty sure neither VT nor NH has Arby's, nearest one I've seen was someplace down near Boston).  But the Northeast still has a lot of fairly decent roast beef places that still do it the right way.

Here's one from Kelly's Roast Beef in Saugus, MA:

And here's one from Billy's Roast Beef in Wakefield, MA:

So it's not completely dead....
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/08/09 19:45:50 (permalink)
Your average customer wants two things from every purchase:
1) free
2) now

If you can deliver your product as close as possible to those "ideals", then you will be successful in business.
Hence, the race to the bottom in the fast food world.
ladygodiva
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/08/09 19:48:08 (permalink)
db1105

I don't think Arby's ever sold roast beef. It is some kind of meat product. What it is, I don't know. I had one and it was enough to never go back.

Actually when my friend worked as a manager at Arbys about 10 years ago the individual resturant had a choice of 4 grades of Roast Beef, I do not know if they still do that..
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/08/14 23:26:12 (permalink)
Near New Carlisle, Ohio (east of Dayton), on OH 235 about a mile north of I-70 Exit 41 there's a Ranchers Roast Beef restaurant I occasionally go to.  It is one of two--the other one is in Washington Court House.  (I have been informed that Ranchers Roast Beef once operated in more locations, including Middletown.  That city stands out since I was born in Hamilton.)

Check out http://www.ranchersroastbeef.com/ for more info.
collinf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/09/15 20:35:47 (permalink)
Another roast beef place that we used to have around here was Rax Roast Beef.  They only lasted a few years in the Kansas City area, but I think their initial success is what brought Arby's to the area.  Does Rax still exist?
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 220
Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/09/15 22:47:10 (permalink)
collinf

Another roast beef place that we used to have around here was Rax Roast Beef.  They only lasted a few years in the Kansas City area, but I think their initial success is what brought Arby's to the area.  Does Rax still exist?

They're on life support.
http://raxroastbeef.com/

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/09/15 23:28:29 (permalink)
Despite being a Steelers fan, he is correct. :-)

Google is your friend.
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2011/09/16 08:42:04
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/09/16 05:38:52 (permalink)
The only thing I like about Arby's now (and I think our local one might not be here for long now, just my opinion) is that you can buy a sandwich and on the receipt there's a # to call and you get a code and can get another for free.  I used to love the Super but they mucked that up and now I just get a beef and cheddar whenever I stop in.  I have seen people looking in the trash cans for these receipts - seriously.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2014/08/17 16:46:09 (permalink)
*bump*

I used to eat at Arby's fairly regularly because it was decent and cheap, and also there was one right next to where I worked, but I thought the quality really went downhill around 2000 or so. The "beef" wasn't juicy at all and the quantity of meat also dropped off dramatically.

That said, I was in a hurry about six weeks ago and with limited options and time, I did the drive thru thing and ordered a jumbo. It was like $4.69, but it was loaded with meat and it the most flavorful Arby's sandwich I'd had in a long time.

I enjoyed it so much I had another one at a different location a few weeks later and it was equally good.

Maybe enough people were voting with their wallets that they made improvements to the type of meat they use.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4237
Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2014/08/17 19:48:52 (permalink)
 I remember my parents being excited enough about 'this new roast beef place' to drive the 20+ miles from New Wilmington, PA to Boardman, OH.  As I was still too young to drive and as my parents' car was a '64 Ford Galaxy 500, it was early Fall, 1964.

Mom, Dad, and I each had a roast beef sandwich:  real thin sliced roast beef piled really high on an oversized bun.  The one sandwich on the menu was very filling - truly a meal on a bun.  The only other items available were small bags of potato chips, Cokes, and a Jamocha Shake.

The sandwiches were expensive - $0.99 at a time when McD's would sell you 2 burgers, fries, & a 'shake' for $0.61 - but it was freaking worth it.

Arby's remained my 'treat' fast food until the early '80's.  They lost my business when they went from real in-house roasted beef to a 'formed', 'pre-roasted' "beef product".  (Roy Roger's ran radio ads with a Geo. C. Scott sound-alike doing Patton with a punch line "If you eat at Arby's you'll have to tell your grandchildren that you were picking binders out of your teeth").

These days I'll stop by for a deli sandwich (the Reuben's and BLT's are really decent) and a Jamocha Shake, but only if I'm really pressed for time.  For the same money and 20 minutes more I can get a BBQ platter with 2 sides, rolls, and sweet tea for slightly less $$$.

rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1072
Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2014/08/18 10:08:11 (permalink)
Maverick's, which is reviewed on this site in the restaurants section (and is also in the latest Roadfood book), is in Roseville, in the suburbs in the Twin Cities.  I had lunch there in June and it was excellent.  It purports to be what Arby's should be, but isn't.  http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/3140/mavericks  http://www.mavericksroastbeef.com/

There's another similar place in Bloomington, not far from the Mall of America, called Wally's.  I haven't been there in several years, but it, too, is essentially Arby's, but much better.  http://wallysroastbeef.com/

Both places have other food in addition to roast beef sandwiches, but for me, the roast beef is all I need.  You do have to like it rare, though, as that is the only way the roast beef comes.  My husband doesn't care for rare beef, so he orders the turkey, brisket or pulled pork.

All that said, I actually remember Arby's very fondly from the mid- to late-1960s. There was one near the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis (I believe on Fall Creek Parkway) which had excellent sliced-to-order roast beef sandwiches served on good sesame seed buns. My father would pick up a big bag of sandwiches and bring them home for our Saturday lunches about once a month. I recall they served Coca-Cola products.  When I moved to Evanston, IL to go to Northwestern, I remember going to an Arby's that was absolutely awful (this would have been in the early 1970s), with that pre-formed pressed "beef," which served Pepsi products.  I wonder whether franchisees at that time had discretion on the food they served?
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 543
Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2014/08/19 06:55:48 (permalink)
We had our first experience with Arby's when we moved to Omaha, just married, in 1971.  It was the old style, slice the beef right in front of you, and we were thrilled with this new thing.  There was so much meat on the sandwich that we would often buy a few extra buns at the store, and use some of the meat to make more sandwiches.

We left there in 1972, and in 1973 went to Alaska for four years, so don't know when or why they went downhill.

But this was also when the Burger King Whopper (and the Whaler!) were really something.

Rodney Dangerfield was on Johnny Carson during the time, with his usual rapid-fire delivery.  He said, "I don't ever get respect.  Yesterday I went to McDonald's.  They told me I didn't deserve a break.  So I went to Burger King.  They said, 'Not YOUR way!'.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1