Hot!The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
2011/07/29 22:02:46 (permalink)

The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general.

I am an American who moved to China about 10 years ago, and have not returned. So, I have not had the for

What happened to Arby's? I liked this chain back in the 1990's. It was inexpensive and I thought pretty good for what it was. I always got the cheddar sandwich, and those really good potato wedge things or the curly fries.

I would think it would be difficult to screw up a roast beef sandwich. Toasted bread, add meat (cheese or whatever), give it to the customer. I would think that maintaining a roast of meat would not be that difficult either. I think the idea of creating a roast beef sandwich chain is that it is so easy to make. Did they buy sub-standard meat?

I never understood the hate for Hardees either. Place had great breakfast and pretty good food otherwise, even though their hamburgers had 126,000 calories. I never much liked Wendy's, always thought they were a gutbomb. After Dave Thomas was ground into hamburger meat and served in Dublin, Ohio, Wendy's has been in a retreat.

There is a local roast beef chain in Memphis, Tennessee called Danver's which is really good, or were, back in the day.

Maybe the question is, why didn't fast food roast beef places thrive? Arby's has always been a smaller chain. Roy Rogers is only around in a few places (oddly, all in the east coast).

41 Replies Related Threads

sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/29 22:38:43 (permalink)
    senior bw, you moved to China 10 yrs. ago & never returned.OK
    your location STILL says a fictious town in Tennesee that does not exist.
    it is 2011, you joined in 2003. so all of your info is a lie so far.
    THAT BEING SAID.....
    when a chain gets bought & sold so many times things change & not for the better but I still like Arbys roast beef PLAIN with nothing but Arbys sauce on it.
    post edited by sk bob - 2011/07/29 22:40:34
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10266
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/29 23:42:22 (permalink)
    Hadn't had an Arby's in a long time, like years. Stopped at one on Thursday and had the "Special' - 3 regular Arby's for $5 bucks. I expected a little meat and a lotta bun. Not so! The sandwich was loaded with fresh sliced meat, flavorful and served on a fresh soft, warm sesame bun. I ate it plain with no problem. Could only eat 2 of them. Brought 1 home for the Bride to take for her lunch next day. A much better deal than the wafer thin One Buck Hamburgers at McD & BK and JITB & Wendys.
    So Senor Boogie Woogie, don't know where you're getting your info, but since you're not here, can't expect your info to be accurate.
    Q: What do they call a Roast Beef Sandwich in China?
    A: Moo Moo Gai Pan!
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/30 00:11:53 (permalink)
    I used to like Arby's every once and a while and thought it was a fairly good value. No so with the junior roast beef. I found myself short of funds the other day (an all to increasingly common occurance I'm sorry to say) I found myself staring at two pathetic little excuses for roast beef sandwiches that probably shared an ounce of meat between them.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/30 03:38:47 (permalink)
    ces1948
    I used to like Arby's every once and a while and thought it was a fairly good value. No so with the junior roast beef. I found myself short of funds the other day (an all to increasingly common occurance I'm sorry to say) I found myself staring at two pathetic little excuses for roast beef sandwiches that probably shared an ounce of meat between them.

Understand your $$$ plight but that's what happens wher you order a JUNIOR anything. The 3 for $5 regular size I mentioned above was just fine.
    senor boogie woogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/30 05:19:01 (permalink)
    OK, don't understand the hate.

Bucksnort is an unincorporated community in Hickman County Tennessee. Yes, I know HICK-MAN does sound kind of strange, but it is real. So is Bucksnort!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucksnort,_Tennessee

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13503
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/30 07:30:08 (permalink)
    sk bob

senior bw, you moved to China 10 yrs. ago & never returned.OK
    your location STILL says a fictious town in Tennesee that does not exist.
    it is 2011, you joined in 2003. so all of your info is a lie so far.
    THAT BEING SAID.....
    when a chain gets bought & sold so many times things change & not for the better but I still like Arbys roast beef PLAIN with nothing but Arbys sauce on it.

SK, I think you got it wrong.  I have stopped at the Bucksnort exit several times to have lunch at Rudy's.  As I recall, it is the first exit east of the Tennessee River.  Very pretty there, great fishing and great birding.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/30 08:01:16 (permalink)
    Yes, during my years in Nashville, I stopped in Bucksnort many times for one of the thickest and best bologna sandwiches ever.  Excellent.  Bucksnort is a really nice area.
    post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/07/30 08:02:51
    MellowRoast
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/30 08:08:44 (permalink)
    As for Hardee's, they used to be great, especially when they sold that wonderful fried chicken.  In the last decade, their menu has taken a dive and, if it weren't for their breakfasts, they'd be singing the blues.  Wendy's was great until about 15 years ago.  Now I can't get a decent burger there at any location.  I haven't seen a decline in the Arby's roast beef sandwiches at all, but I think they're a bit pricey for what you get.  So I either take advantage of the specials or wait for the coupons.
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/30 17:42:03 (permalink)
    It's been a good ten years since I last stopped at Arby's or Hardees.    Can anyone confirm whether they used real roast beef back in the 60's or was I just too young to know the difference?  I stopped there perhaps twice in the 90's, but their beef concoction was too much a deviation for me.

As for Hardees, I found their switch to huge burgers to be intended more for the obese and their biscuits to be way too greasy.   
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/30 17:48:56 (permalink)
    Not 100% sure but I think Arby's "Product" has been pretty much the same over the years. Possibly a few tweaks in the seasonings. Still "Processed" beef.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/31 10:41:56 (permalink)
    When I first went to Arby's in the 1970's there was an actual beef roast in a slicer behind the counter and it was sliced as you order. That's a long way from what you get now.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/31 11:08:37 (permalink)
    mjambro

It's been a good ten years since I last stopped at Arby's or Hardees.    Can anyone confirm whether they used real roast beef back in the 60's or was I just too young to know the difference?  I stopped there perhaps twice in the 90's, but their beef concoction was too much a deviation for me.

As for Hardees, I found their switch to huge burgers to be intended more for the obese and their biscuits to be way too greasy.   

ca. 1970 in Miami Arby's had actual roasts of beef that they sliced off of for your sandwiches.  What they sell now might best be described as beef loaf

The "Classic" has 3 oz. of beef loaf; the "Junior" has 1.5 oz. of beef loaf.
    post edited by MiamiDon - 2011/07/31 11:14:41
    MellowRoast
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/31 11:40:40 (permalink)
    I started eating at Arby's around 1968 but don't recall that the beef was any different than today's.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/31 12:09:18 (permalink)
    This is what used to be on their web site:

Roast Beef
    Trimmed boneless beef chunks (minimum 70%) combined with chopped beef for a maximum of 12% fat. Contains up to 9% of a self-basting solution of water, salt, sodium phosphates.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18452
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/31 13:35:32 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

mjambro

ca. 1970 in Miami Arby's had actual roasts of beef that they sliced off of for your sandwiches.  What they sell now might best be described as beef loaf

The "Classic" has 3 oz. of beef loaf; the "Junior" has 1.5 oz. of beef loaf.

I had my first Arby's roast beef sandwich in the Miami area in 1969, and you're correct about it being sliced from an actual roast. I've not been to an Arby's in at least ten years, and they were using that formed beef then, with no actual roast of beef in sight.
    db1105
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/31 18:13:27 (permalink)
    I don't think Arby's ever sold roast beef. It is some kind of meat product. What it is, I don't know. I had one and it was enough to never go back.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/31 21:50:42 (permalink)
    SORRY.  its been years sice I've been thru Tenn. since I stopped driving for a living.
    I looked on an index on a PAPER MAP, anybody remember those? no Bucksnort.
    but if you mved to China 10 yrs. ago why isn't your location China?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/31 22:49:39 (permalink)
    sk bob
    SORRY.  its been years sice I've been thru Tenn. since I stopped driving for a living.
    I looked on an index on a PAPER MAP, anybody remember those? no Bucksnort.
    but if you mved to China 10 yrs. ago why isn't your location China?

Bucksnort TN 37140, is West of Nashville, just North of I-40, between Furnace TN & Buffalo TN
    During its heyday, Bucksnort was a well established farming community and much of what is currently known about Bucksnort derives from The Scamps of Bucksnort by Lily Mae Pamplin. From the introduction to "The Scamps of Bucksnort":
    "Bucksnort, Tennessee, got its name from William ("Buck") Pamplin, a brother of McCager Armpstead Pamplin, my father's father. Before the Civil War, William owned and lived on the site that later became Bucksnort.
    'It was like this: William loved whiskey. He would get soused to the ears with the sweet, smelly stuff, and when he did, he would roar and snort till everyone around heard him. They would say: "Just listen to Buck snort." His snorting became so frequent and the comment was made so often, that the neighbors soon found themselves running the last two words together, thus the place was called Bucksnort.
    ces1948
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/31 22:50:01 (permalink)
    I ate my first Arby's in Lakeland, Fl in 1969. At the time I thought it was pretty unique as I really hadn't seen a place like that before.Could be wrong but it seems I remember that they sold nothing but roast beef sandwiches, potato cakes and soft drinks. I do remember them slicing it as you ordered.
    I saw a few weeks ago that they had been sold, it was rumored before the sale that they were on their last legs. I guess they'll be around a while longer.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7906
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/31 23:05:43 (permalink)
    Sometimes like in the case of a California chain, Pup n Taco the purchasers don't want to keep it going...  they just want the locations.

All Pup n Tacos here became Taco Bells.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/07/31 23:07:20 (permalink)
    MellowRoast
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/08/01 07:31:42 (permalink)
    I can only speak for the Arby's locations I patronize but they do slice as you order now.  Of course, it's their roast beef product that they're slicing.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2401
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/08/01 09:39:13 (permalink)
    If Arby's is calling this Roast Beef, then my customers are getting sliced Tenderloin....................No way will Arby's survive in today's world were people are demanding a quality product...........pnwc

Last year I was buying Top Round Roast avg 23lb per Roast for about $2.20 lb, it is now over $3 close to $3:20. The price of Beef has been going crazy all year.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1013
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/08/01 10:40:26 (permalink)
    I'll go to Arby's if it's the only place around and need something fast. I would also describe it as beef loaf. Too salty, the consistency is a little rubbery, and not much beef flavor, IMHO. Edible, yes. Enjoyable, I would have to disagree.

I also agree about Wendy's, the burgers used to be great. Don't know what prompted the changes, but they're a lot smaller, less flavor, and when they changed their fries last year, that was the last straw. I haven't been back and don't plan to.
    ces1948
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/08/01 11:54:37 (permalink)
    I would like to believe people demand quality but those golden arches every quarter mile tell me otherwise.

PNWCHEF

If Arby's is calling this Roast Beef, then my customers are getting sliced Tenderloin....................No way will Arby's survive in today's world were people are demanding a quality product...........pnwc

Last year I was buying Top Round Roast avg 23lb per Roast for about $2.20 lb, it is now over $3 close to $3:20. The price of Beef has been going crazy all year.

Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/08/01 13:44:46 (permalink)
    ces1948

I would like to believe people demand quality but those golden arches every quarter mile tell me otherwise.

I agree with ces.  People like us that demand quality are in the minority in the USA.  It's my experience that when it comes to food, Americans demand 1) cheap, 2) convenient and 3) giant portions.  I don't think quality is part of the equation. 

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8365
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/08/01 17:19:10 (permalink)
    I agree with ces and Pigiron. While I do, on occassion at at a chain of some sort, when it comes to beef, especially, I will not compromise. I have sold, in my deli, the same stuff Arby's sells. It is a chunked and formed loaf, with tons of sodium solution injected into it for flavor. Whatever "beef" is in it does not necessarily mean meat as we know it. I guess the generations only know what they have been exposed to, and these places are not quality.I have started to introduce my nieces and nephews to food from non chains, and they have been receptive.
    michaelcarraher
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/08/06 13:45:53 (permalink)
    If seems fast food is a Darwinian business and many fall by the way side.
    Hardee's is no longer in my region.  They pulled out after they devoured Roy Rogers (which in turn had replaced Hot Shoppes Jr and Gino's) and Burger Chef.  Now they are owned by Carl's Jr.
    Arby's and Wendy's have gotten a divorce.  Wendy's is still in my area.  There are just a few Arby's left; none of them convenient.
    Rax still has a few franchises left but most of them are Burger King or something else now.

Yes, quality has gone down.  Many of the fast-food chains got sold to big corporations and they turned the bean counters loose with predictable results.  When expected profits did not materialize (the decline in quality might have kept people away), the chain got sold again and the cost cutting repeated until the chain died.  There used to be a chain called Red Barn which offered a Big Boy clone for a lot less than Big Boy and indoor seating when most McDonald's were walk-ups.  McDonald's added seating and the Big Mac and killed them off. 

There's less variety, too.  The top five chains are:  Subway.  Four burger chains (Mikey D, Booger King, Wendy's and Carl Jr/Hardee's).   Yum! Brands has a collection of left-overs (KFC, Taco Bell, but they are closing A&W).  Quiznos tried to compete with Subway in my area but they have since closed.  There used to be some fish and chip chains but I haven't seen them in a long time. 

SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1013
    Re:The demise of Arby's and Roast Beef places in general. 2011/08/08 09:42:19 (permalink)
    I was happy when Quizno's opened up in central NY, as it was a frequent lunch stop of mine when I lived in Seattle. That is, until I ate at one... the quality just wasn't there anymore. The only ones I've seen in my local area have already closed also. I'd rather eat local anyway, and there are plenty of places to choose from around here to get a good sandwich or burger.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1