The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The demise of good food is spreading

markolenski

• Total Posts: 307
The demise of good food is spreading Sun, 03/26/06 5:15 PM (permalink)
We spend the last 2 weeks in Akumal Mexico a little oceanfront village about an hour south of Cancun. What has changed over the years is the quality of the food sold to the locals and tourist. We went into town to buy tortillas and the bakery that was there for years was gone. All we could get were Wonder Tortillas. Imagine that. In Playa Del Carmen even the locals are excited about the new Wal-Mart in town. The store is filled with both Mexican and American products. Items like local cheeses are hard to find. The package cheeses were mostly made in the US for Wal-Mart. Enjoy your local foods while they last.

Gizmolito

• Total Posts: 312
    RE: The demise of good food is spreading Sun, 03/26/06 6:53 PM (permalink)
    The scourge of Wal-Mart, now they'll ruin rustic Mexico! And they're importing American goods! Next they'll be hiring illegal immigrants sneaking across from the U.S.

nvb

• Total Posts: 468
      RE: The demise of good food is spreading Sun, 03/26/06 9:03 PM (permalink)
      Didn't know anyone else knew about Akumal. It's my favorite place in Mexico and I've only stayed there one time out of 8 trips. Disappoints me to hear that it's being Americanized.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
        RE: The demise of good food is spreading Mon, 03/27/06 6:54 AM (permalink)
        Puerto Vallerta's location for changing buses is Wal-Mart. Never went in myself.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
          RE: The demise of good food is spreading Mon, 03/27/06 12:51 PM (permalink)
          We've got great mexican food in Southern Oregon. All the Mexican Cheeses too.
          And not at Wal-Mart.

Gizmolito

• Total Posts: 312
            RE: The demise of good food is spreading Mon, 03/27/06 7:48 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Slick

Didn't know anyone else knew about Akumal. It's my favorite place in Mexico and I've only stayed there one time out of 8 trips. Disappoints me to hear that it's being Americanized.

"Americanized?" Then come to the Midwest. We have been "Mexicanized." We were already "Wal-Martized" many years ago. It's a sad world any more (imo).

Wal-Mart won't find too many Planning and Zoning restrictions there I'm sure. Just meet the local officals and give them an envelope.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com