The end of the daily newspaper?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
2012/05/24 21:58:00 (permalink)

The end of the daily newspaper?

I saw today where the company that owns the Birmingham News, The Huntsville Times and The Mobile Press Register (Alabama) announced that beginning this fall the papers will only be published 3 days a week. I don't know how many newspaper readers we have here but this is sad news for me as I've read the paper daily for many many years.
I have lived in a lot of places and can't recall not subscribing to or at least buying the local newspaper on a almost daily basis.

38 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/24 22:15:07 (permalink)
    This trend is happening all over the country. As advertisers find other modes of advertising, the cash cow is drying up. No milk, no paper.
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 2018
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/24 23:10:41 (permalink)
    Where I'm at, the paper is printed once a week, on Wednesday.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3554
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/25 00:34:53 (permalink)
    Ours went to three days a week a while ago, too. What's weird is they won't even publish obituaries online unless it's one of the regular publishing days. Made it a little hard to schedule my aunt's funeral.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/25 02:33:14 (permalink)

The newpaper is a dying breed.   With the convenience and the proliferation of the internet, people are not seeing the need to read yesterday's old news in a paper when they can get updated, current news online. 

Glenn

RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/25 03:02:08 (permalink)
    We used to get both english dailies here in Bangkok, have not had delivery in about 7 years, and in that time I think I've picked up a newspaper less than 10 times.  I think the popularity of smart phones and pads will rapidly increase the decline of printed news.  Now theres more of trend for what I read to see pay for web site news also.  Many news sites used to be totally free, now many I see are adding paid content sections.  Gotta be a rough business for newspapers everywhere now.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/25 05:06:09 (permalink)
    The days of the free standing, small, single, print newspapers are rapidly disappearing and are being replaced by the major Multimedia companies like Gannett.  The company’s 82 U.S. daily newspapers, including USA TODAY, reach 11.6 million readers every weekday and 12 million readers every Sunday, providing important news and information from their customers’ neighborhoods and around the globe. USA TODAY, the nation's No. 1 newspaper in print circulation, and USATODAY.com reach a combined 5.9 million readers daily.
    The Broadcasting Division’s 23 TV stations reach 21 million households, covering 18.2 percent of the U.S. population. Through its Captivate subsidiary, the Broadcasting Division delivers news, information and advertising to a highly desirable audience demographic on 9,500 video screens located in elevators of office towers and select hotel lobbies in 25 major cities across North America.
    What's the significance?
    Their 82 Newspapers reach 12 million readers.
    And most of that # is in 1 paper, USA Today!
    Their 23 TV Stations reach 56 milllion viewers!
    Do the cost effectiveness math!
    Supermarket Chains put their weekly ads on their web site. Don't need those costly Newspaper inserts. Just a small ad that says, "Go to our web site for this weeks Specials."
    The largest Supermarket chain in AZ is Fry's, (Part of Kroger). I get a weekly newsletter with 20-30 coupon offers. I just click on the coupons I use and it automatically goes on my Fry's Discount Card so when I go to the store and pick up that item and check out, I automatically get "The DEAL" credited at the register. Don't even need to clip the newspaper coupon any more! The store saves tremendous operating costs by not having to physically handle all those paper coupons to get their vendor rebates.
    When the Supermarkets and Auto Dealers pull their ads, the newspapers are doomed to extinction.
    A HS friend of mine died this week.
    Another friend sent me his Obituary directly from the Funeral Home's web site.
    No Newspaper needed.
    99.9% of all jobs available can be found on the internet.
    Just received a bill from our newspaper for 6 months subscription for just under $60.00
    We only get the paper twice a week on Wednesday & Sunday. Won't be renewing!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/25 06:33:23 (permalink)
    We've had discussions in the past about restaurants skimping and making compromises and then blaming the economy when they eventually fail.
    Our friends at the daily newspaper are unfortunately blazing the same trail in a way.
    For some reason many newspapers seem to feel that the last thing we need is what we want ... pages of stale, leftover national and International AP news and precious little local coverage ... when what we want is the exact opposite.
    75 cents for a 12 or maybe 16  page daily paper ??? !!!
    Hey newspapers, it isn't the economy ... give us less and you will get less reward.

carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/25 07:58:28 (permalink)
    Sad to see.  I read a newspaper evryday of my life for as long as I could read.  I tutored kids in reading and used the newspaper as a tool.  It's s ad to see them become a thing of the past but I quit buying a newspaper three years ago.  I still miss it and feel a little guilty, but I haven't started buying again.
    I found a newspaper I'd saved since 1972 recently and was amazed at the size of it and the amount of info it contained.   
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/25 09:27:15 (permalink)
    Yesterday also found the New Orleans Times Picayune going to a 3 days weekly publication schedule. Good grief, I may havce to break down and buy not only a cell phone but a smart one at that.
    ! Nooooo.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5158
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/25 09:39:21 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

For some reason many newspapers seem to feel that the last thing we need is what we want ... pages of stale, leftover national and International AP news and precious little local coverage ... when what we want is the exact opposite.

2 of the 4 papers I subscribe to are local weeklies and they're the ones I look forward most to reading, because of the local content.  Although both have websites now as well.

But technology will never replace the feeling of turning the pages while relaxing outside on a warm Saturday or Sunday morning.  My grandfather and uncle owned and edited a weekly newspaper for many years and I can't imagine life without the rustle of newsprint.
    ces1948
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/25 09:57:03 (permalink)
    I don't own a smartphone so I can't comment but perusing a newspaper on a computer as opposed to holding one in your hands is completely different and somewhat unpleasant imo.
    Now, like many others I am mainly interested in local stories as I have generally already read the national stuff on websites. I also actually like the sales ads (except car dealers) and I am a coupon clipper.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/25 14:11:03 (permalink)
    Some cures for papers. Make the type twice as large, drop the comics, have clever obit writers, balance the opinion, equal weight to the left, right, and middle. National and international oddball stories, folks love them!
    Your cures?
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3554
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/25 14:47:03 (permalink)
    My primary cure, and the reason I stopped reading our local paper in about 1992, is to learn proper grammar, spelling and punctuation. When I cancelled my subscription less than a year after starting it, they asked why. I told them I cannot make myself sit down and read a newspaper I have to correct with a red pen.

Based on their online news, the problem still exists. I also notice it in local papers from other cities, so apparently it's more widespread than just here. Only the national papers tend to have passed that part of their English education.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 804
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/25 15:13:30 (permalink)
    This is a sad, sad trend. To me one of lifes pleasures is snapping that paper open in the morning.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/26 05:49:13 (permalink)
    I mentioned in my post above that we got our bill for six months subscription. My bride still likes to read the paper which we only get on Wed & Sun so she called the paper and complained about the price. They cut the price in half!
    They will do anything to keep subscribers because their audited circulation numbers are what determines their ad rates and ads pay the bills.
    Call your paper and tell them you're thinking about canceling and I'll bet you get a lower rate or some free months!
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/26 10:13:58 (permalink)
    I've been reading the NY Times online for probably 10 years. Saves paper, my hands stay clean, costs less (about $15 per month since they started charging about a year ago), and it's always there when I'm ready (no "the truck broke down" delivery problems). I'm totally OK with it.

One thing, I use my laptop for my online newspaper reading rather than a smartphone. No squinting necessary.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/26 10:39:44 (permalink)
    ken8038, I'll probably do the same as you as the NYT still has the in depth articles I can no longer find in my local Milwaukee Sentinel. I do need local shopping info, coupons and local event news that an out of town paper can't give me. I've pretty much read newspapers cover to cover from at least age 10 on and delivered them when I was a kid. My emotional attachment just won't be satisfied on line.
    ces1948
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/26 12:49:07 (permalink)
    I like what Warren Buffet said the other day about his recent purchase of 60 some smaller daily and weekly papers.
    Paraphrasing. "There are several places you can read about what's happening in Afghanistan but your local paper is where you read about what's going on in your town"
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/26 12:59:26 (permalink)
    Sad news this. I feel like a dinosaur. locally the biggest movie theater chain stopped running movie times in the paper as im sure most of their audience now finds out movie times via smart phone. Don'tlike what i think the future will bring.
    post edited by mr chips - 2012/05/26 18:04:19
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/26 13:33:22 (permalink)
    Yes, our only local paper, the Times Picayune will cut back in the Fall, to 3 times a week, Wed-Fri-Sun.

One of the joys of retirement is reading the morning paper with that first cup of coffee.  
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/26 14:03:30 (permalink)
    BelleReve, whenever I visit NOLA, I have a Times Picayune outside my room door.
    Some nice strong coffee, some fresh OJ and perhaps a Croissant D'Or out in the courtyard to go with the paper for a nice start to the day.
    How can that be substituted?
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/26 15:43:43 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers - you are so right, doesn't get any better.  For years I had an hour's commute to work, would drink a cup of tea while getting dressed, pick up coffee to go at a  convenience store, and a paper only certain days of the week, etc.  Now I live close to a bakery that makes French pastries, including a variety of filled croissants which I'm sampling my way through, and can read the paper cover to cover - 
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/26 23:30:07 (permalink)
    Where else can I get the funnies? I know some are on line, but I like all of the ones I regularly read lined up in the paper.

Felix4067, I also have problems with the grammar, or lack there of, used in the paper. I also have trouble listening to national news broadcasts for the same reason. What is wrong with those people?

rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/29 11:36:27 (permalink)
    You might find this story interesting -- about the demise of copyeditors, who, in my opinion, have been absolutely essential in terms of maintaining standards of grammar, syntax, spelling, and accuracy. 
    I was a copy editor very briefly in my short journalism career. It demands special talents which are rapidly disappearing.
    http://www.ajr.org/article.asp?id=1698

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/29 14:32:51 (permalink)
    ces1948

I like what Warren Buffet said the other day about his recent purchase of 60 some smaller daily and weekly papers.
    Paraphrasing. "There are several places you can read about what's happening in Afghanistan but your local paper is where you read about what's going on in your town"

For the fun of it, I looked at today's local paper here.
    What WB says is true ... but in our case, the local paper was full of news from 'Afghanistan' and there were less than 20 items that could be considered local ... maybe 5 from "Main Street.'

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/29 16:31:54 (permalink)
    I started delivering a daily newspaper at age 8 for my older brother and had my own route at age 10. The newspaper is part of my DNA now. I'm a happy camper because the Minneapolis Star Tribune started publishing the printed facsimile again that I can read on my iPad. Web based systems just don't cut it but the printed facsimile editions help when you are on the road a third of the year.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/29 16:43:32 (permalink)
    Davydd

I started delivering a daily newspaper at age 8 for my older brother and had my own route at age 10. The newspaper is part of my DNA now. I'm a happy camper because the Minneapolis Star Tribune started publishing the printed facsimile again that I can read on my iPad. Web based systems just don't cut it but the printed facsimile editions help when you are on the road a third of the year.

Like you Davydd:  I started my paper route at age 8.  I carried about 150 paper with my bicycle six miles every day.  Sunday's were hard because of the huge paper but I did it.  When I first started, weekly papers were 0.25 weekly.  Most paid promptly but some did not and in fact many cheated me but it taught me a lot of lessons about how to negotiate.  Some I lost but most I won.  That life lesson still remains with me today and it taught me a lot about my retired and current business.  A great experience that I will never ever forget although sometimes through rain, snow and heat it was difficult.

I still enjoy reading the daily newspaper with Mamaw Smith every morning at 5:00AM with coffee but I guess it is a matter of time before the printed media expires.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/29 16:44:14 (permalink)
    Of my local papers (non Chicago), one publishes Tues-Sat and the other Sun-Fri. I subscribe to both. Between the two I do get local news but I read the Chicago papers on line for a broader picture. I don't know what else I would do when I read the paper and eat breakfast at 6:30 without a newspaper! Plus I love the comics and some are difficult to find online.  
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4219
    Re:The end of the daily newspaper? 2012/05/29 18:04:22 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Some cures for papers. Make the type twice as large, drop the comics, have clever obit writers, balance the opinion, equal weight to the left, right, and middle. National and international oddball stories, folks love them!
    Your cures?

Stop the "opinion creep" into the news stories!  With the demise of its competition Associated Press has become infested with "reporters" and "editors" who write and permit this B.S.  I really miss the "old school" guys like my late former neighbor David Broder of the WaPo; he'd state his opinions in his op-ed columns, but his news stories were straight news.
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/05/29 18:05:32
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1