The first time alcoholic beverages had ever been served to passengers on a plane in flight

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
2011/10/17 22:28:34 (permalink)

The first time alcoholic beverages had ever been served to passengers on a plane in flight

Courtesy of Tom Fitzmorris, www.nomenu.com
Cocktails In The Sky
Today in 1949, Northwest Orient Airlines served cocktails, wine, and beer on one of its flights--the first time alcoholic beverages had ever been served to passengers on a plane in flight. It's so obviously a good idea it's a wonder they waited so long. Cocktail service went down with all other kinds of food and drink service in the 1980s, but a few bright spots remain. The Mile-High Mojitos on Delta are good enough that I look forward to them.

"I would have no financial worries had I invested all the money I spent in Airports and on Airplanes for Demon Rum during my traveling days. And that doesn't include Hotel Bars and Restaurants!"
--FBM

6 Replies Related Threads

fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 804
    Re:The first time alcoholic beverages had ever been served to passengers on a plane in fli 2011/10/18 15:03:48 (permalink)
    I thought it would be with the first passanger flight!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:The first time alcoholic beverages had ever been served to passengers on a plane in fli 2011/10/18 15:21:29 (permalink)
    fishtaco

I thought it would be with the first passenger flight!

Actually, the first passengers had to be soused BEFORE they got on the plane!
    The first flight where the passenger paid for the ticket was on 1/1/1914!
    All the way from St. Pete to Tampa!
    http://home.earthlink.net/~ralphcooper/pimagm9.htm
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:The first time alcoholic beverages had ever been served to passengers on a plane in fli 2011/10/18 17:24:50 (permalink)
    I remember back in the mid sixties as a 20 something flying for business, I was afraid of flying (back then) and would get well soused before boarding my flights. I got over it, eventually.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:The first time alcoholic beverages had ever been served to passengers on a plane in fli 2011/10/18 18:53:42 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

I remember back in the mid sixties as a 20 something flying for business, I was afraid of flying (back then) and would get well soused before boarding my flights. I got over it, eventually.

Early in my career I loved to fly but would get soused before boarding anyway!

And back in the 70's, who could forget Continental's "Pub" flights? They took a section of seats out behind 1st Class in some DC 10's and put a lounge in there complete with a bar, sofas and table video games. Regular savvy "Road Warriors" would sprint up there as soon as the seat belt light went out. They had 25 cent Olympia Beers and free popcorn plus regular drinks. The Flight Attendents, ( Stewardesses back then) would engage in conversations and passengers would B.S. with each other. I made several friends on those Pub Flights. It was a hoot! The Pub flights were on trips longer than 2-3 hours, like coast-to-coast or ORD- LAX.
    SeamusD
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1023
    Re:The first time alcoholic beverages had ever been served to passengers on a plane in fli 2011/10/19 13:52:15 (permalink)
    The last flight I took, thank goodness my company saw fit to fly me first class, as I lost count of how many complimentary Jim Beam and ginger ales I drank on that flight. Would have cost me a small fortune in coach. I hate flying.
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 410
    Re:The first time alcoholic beverages had ever been served to passengers on a plane in fli 2011/10/19 14:23:08 (permalink)
    Foodbme

fishtaco

I thought it would be with the first passenger flight!

Actually, the first passengers had to be soused BEFORE they got on the plane!
    The first flight where the passenger paid for the ticket was on 1/1/1914!
    All the way from St. Pete to Tampa!
    http://home.earthlink.net/~ralphcooper/pimagm9.htm

Yes, there's quite a bit of memorabilia, at least there was, of Tony Jannus in Tampa Airport.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1