Author
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 261
2014/08/18 18:10:57 (permalink)

The last McDonald's that offers pizza?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w..._products#Former_items

Wikipedia
McDonald's has also attempted pizza at various times, with an apple-pie–like McPizza and more conventional McDonald's Pizza. A line of personal-sized pizzas was first seen in the late 1970s in test-market stores near interstate highways around Milwaukee and Madison. In Canada (c. 1992–99), the pizza originally began as a family-sized pizza that was brought out to the table by an employee and placed on a raised rack in the centre of the table. Later it was scaled down to a personal-sized pizza. However, variations have found their way into some international markets such as India (the pie-like "Pizza McPuff"). McDonald's also test marketed a 14-inch, round, traditional-style pizza in Evansville, Indiana, and nearby Owensboro, Kentucky, in 1989. By 1991, the McDonald's test markets for pizza had grown to over 500 McDonald's locations before the pizza test was placed on hold. Pizza was discontinued in most restaurants by 2000. The reason for eliminating the pizza from the menu was that the time to cook a pizza took 11 minutes, and McDonalds wanted to keep its reputation for fast service. Some, like the McDonald's located in Pomeroy, Ohio, still offer family size and personal size pizza as of February 26, 2013.

The image from Foursquare below confirms it - but try as I might, I can't find an image of the actual current product.  Any Roadfooders near the area feel like checking it out?  I mean, yeah, it's fast food, fast food pizza, anathema to many of us, but still... aren't you a little bit curious?

6 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re: The last McDonald's that offers pizza? 2014/08/18 20:31:22 (permalink)
    No.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    Re: The last McDonald's that offers pizza? 2014/08/18 20:37:26 (permalink)
    No...no how....no way.......never ever....uh uh!!!!!!!!!
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re: The last McDonald's that offers pizza? 2014/08/19 08:14:53 (permalink)
    "McDonald's also test marketed a 14-inch, round, traditional-style pizza in Evansville, Indiana, and nearby Owensboro, Kentucky, in 1989."   I remember that.  They also had a test outlet in the two McDonald's outlets here in Henderson, KY, which is located between the two cities.  The pizza was nothing to write home about.  It wasn't bad--just sort of bland.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5143
    Re: The last McDonald's that offers pizza? 2014/08/19 09:25:33 (permalink)
    Ketteract
    Any Roadfooders near the area feel like checking it out?  I mean, yeah, it's fast food, fast food pizza, anathema to many of us, but still... aren't you a little bit curious?
    Sure, but unfortunately my annual Ohio trip won't take me any closer than about 150 miles to Pomeroy so it's not really a doable thing.

Google Maps shows Pomeroy as a pretty small town but it does have a Pizza Hut.  I wonder how much revenue pizza generates for this particular McDonald's; my first thought was that if it's still on the menu maybe it's the only pizza option within a reasonable distance.
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re: The last McDonald's that offers pizza? 2014/08/20 08:22:43 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Google Maps shows Pomeroy as a pretty small town but it does have a Pizza Hut.  I wonder how much revenue pizza generates for this particular McDonald's; my first thought was that if it's still on the menu maybe it's the only pizza option within a reasonable distance.

I did a quick Yelp lookup for Pomeroy pizza and found:

Pizza Hut
    Fox's Pizza Den
    Moe & Anita's Pizzeria
    Domino's

There were some other places in neighboring towns about 10-15 minutes away, but yeah, pretty thin overall.  I could see McD's pizza persisting simply because it's an additional option.  The prices aren't bad either, according to the photo.  $6 for a whole pizza, $1 for each additional topping?  Little Caesars (which they don't have) is the only chain I know of in that range, without coupons.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re: The last McDonald's that offers pizza? 2014/08/21 22:56:27 (permalink)
    I remember eating pia atMcDonald,s in SimiValley a long time ago.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1