The lure of Sonic, never understood it.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/14 23:49:16 (permalink)
What were the pickle "O's" that people remember ?
fastfood
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/14 23:54:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by txtwister

I'm not sure - but at our local Sonic, I've spotted an area under the drinks menu that says "Bags of Ice..." with a price, but my mind is blank right now.

Worth a try to ask, anyway!

Yea lots of fastfood places sell bags of ice. I think its a good idea because we have tons of ice still in the big icemaker even after we will the soda fountain resevoirs to the max.Its nearly an all profit thing with ice LOL.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18693
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/15 00:20:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fastfood

And in response to our mentally challenged/diabled member by the SN of "senor boogie woogie" please keep your racist,ignorant,and immature comments to yourself.

Please be specific and explain exactly what you meant when you called senor boogie woogie mentally challenged and disabled, and claimed that he made racist, ignorant and immature comments. I'm certain everyone here would love to know what someone as ill-mannered and boorish as yourself finds objectionable about decent human beings.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/15 10:22:08 (permalink)
quote:

Plus i'm more comfortable in my car than inside a food place anyways.

judging from your plethora of fast food posts, I find this hard to believe.

two other things I find hard to believe:
why this thread isn't in the FF Forum.
why the Arby's thread isn't in the FF Forum.

Squidly
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/15 12:21:28 (permalink)
You really got a case of the a$$ don't you? I don't pretend to know what exactly what Senor Boogie meant but I'd damn sure ask before before badmouthing him. Much like Michael Hoffman did for you.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/15 12:21:44 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

And in response to our mentally challenged/diabled member by the SN of "senor boogie woogie" please keep your racist,ignorant,and immature comments to yourself.

Please be specific and explain exactly what you meant when you called senor boogie woogie mentally challenged and disabled, and claimed that he made racist, ignorant and immature comments. I'm certain everyone here would love to know what someone as ill-mannered and boorish as yourself finds objectionable about decent human beings.

We all know damn well what he was meant when he was saying something in regards to crackheads being at sonic. Let's not play blues clues it doesn't take to much sense to know what he was implying.

I doubt that he was implying anything at all. You, on the other hand, have made it quite clear that you think crack is associated only with those of certain races and ethnicities. Clearly, you are the one who is hobbled by certain cognitive problems, in addition to being boorish and ill-mannered.
Red Green
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/15 23:14:54 (permalink)
Sonic has the BEST onion rings!!!
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/16 13:22:40 (permalink)
There are two new Sonics in town. I went to one last week and sat there for about five minutes watching the waitresses skate past me, then left. Tried the other one today, same results. I still have not eaten at Sonics, not going to bother trying again.

John
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/16 13:33:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

There are two new Sonics in town. I went to one last week and sat there for about five minutes watching the waitresses skate past me, then left. Tried the other one today, same results. I still have not eaten at Sonics, not going to bother trying again.

John

I don't know aboout your Sonic, but at all the Sonics I've ever been to the car hops don't come to your car till after you've ordered.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15307
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/16 13:37:34 (permalink)

John A You have to push the button on the speaker on the menu post to order....Then they bring your order to your car and collect the $$$.
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/16 14:14:35 (permalink)
I usually go there just to watch the waitresses skate around. You mean I'm supposed to order something? " />
Squidly
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/16 14:24:34 (permalink)
The one time I went to the Sonic near my home was right after it was built. My daughter's best buddy had gotten a job there so daughter wanted to go down there and give her some (the?) business. I was instructed to tip heavily. I pulled up in one of the parking spots and looked the menu over. Sat there for a few minutes while daughter gabbed with the buddy. The buddy left to go pick up an order for delivery. I asked Kelly (the daughter) why she didn't take our order? My naivete was hilarious. "Dad you have to push the button and call it in. Ha ha ha you don't get out much do you? Ha ha ha". I called in the order and after a short wait the food was delivered by the buddy (who I tipped in accordance with my instructions)and we left but not before my faux pas was related to the buddy who also found my behavior humorous. Apparently a few of us "older" types had the same problem. I remember The Clock Drive-in in Greenville, SC where the car-hop came out to your car to take the order. I prefer the old way. Your not alone John A.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/16 14:57:33 (permalink)
Never been to a Sonic, although we do have one tucked away in NE Cincinnati....need to traipse up there sometime

In any case, and remember I already said I have never ever been to a Sonic....do they have any indoor eat-in facilities at all? Or is eating in your car or taking out the ONLY option?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/16 15:08:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Never been to a Sonic, although we do have one tucked away in NE Cincinnati....need to traipse up there sometime

In any case, and remember I already said I have never ever been to a Sonic....do they have any indoor eat-in facilities at all? Or is eating in your car or taking out the ONLY option?

The ones I've been to have tables outside.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13524
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/16 15:12:03 (permalink)
TJ, I have been to a bunch of Sonics starting in the 60's. I have never seen one with indoor seating.

I recall when Sonic use to be really good. Unfortunately in my opinion their quality has greatly diminished.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/17 10:39:29 (permalink)
Well s__t, no wonder they kept looking at me like that. Guess I better go back and read the instructions.

Thanks,

John
pennypincher
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/17 11:39:38 (permalink)
I can hardly pass a Sonic without getting a large order of
onion rings.
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/18 08:52:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NebGuy

I usually go there just to watch the waitresses skate around. You mean I'm supposed to order something? " />
if you order you get to watch longer w/o getting a bad rep.....
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/18 09:22:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pennypincher

I can hardly pass a Sonic without getting a large order of
onion rings.

Oh well, every time I tried that they were always "out" of onions. Gave up years ago. To bad most can't get Popeye's onion rings anymore. They WERE the BEST.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/18 10:35:06 (permalink)

I have only seen outdoor tables at any of the Sonic's where we've stopped. I tried eating at a table rather than in the car a couple of times...bad mistake! Exhaust fumes from the folks who sit in their A/C cars, running the engine while they eat, and kids racing their cars in and out of the place made for a noisy and smelly environment for "dining". Now it is strictly a drive-thru experience for us.
Kitty Ritter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/19 12:48:18 (permalink)
Yes, I admit I'm also a senior. When Sonic first opened here, my friend and I decided to try it. We pulled in and waited for someone to come out and take our order. After a while we realized we were supposed to push a button and order. We left. It's advertised as an old-fashioned drive-in but it's not. When there were real drive-ins, the waitress or waiter came out to take our order. Sonic may as well be another drive-thru place.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/19 13:08:06 (permalink)
Actually, I remember drive-ins back in the '40s and '50s that had intercoms for ordering, as well as drive-ins that had the carhops taking orders. Both types were pretty common.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/19 13:35:43 (permalink)

Michael,
Was that the "1840's and 50's"? I remember the line "Watson, Come Here.", was that Alex Bell paging a carhop at an early SONIC??
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/19 13:54:40 (permalink)
It was the 1740s and 1750s, Al. I can't believe you didn't know that. Heck, I remember pulling my horse into the ride-in across from the New Haven Green and using the intercom to order a tall, cool syllabub.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/20 08:13:21 (permalink)
IIRC Gino's in Baltimore back in the early 60's had drive in transmitter/speakers that you used for ordering.

John
fastfood
Hamburger
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/21 00:03:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

John

LOL you're joking right?
fastfood
Hamburger
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/21 00:05:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kitty Ritter

Yes, I admit I'm also a senior. When Sonic first opened here, my friend and I decided to try it. We pulled in and waited for someone to come out and take our order. After a while we realized we were supposed to push a button and order. We left. It's advertised as an old-fashioned drive-in but it's not. When there were real drive-ins, the waitress or waiter came out to take our order. Sonic may as well be another drive-thru place.

Trust me you wouldn't want them to come out and take your order thats the old slow way. Its very ineffective and would be hell implementing in a world with all this technology.
SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/03/30 16:03:59 (permalink)
We have about 5 Sonics here in Huntsville, AL. They use to have the best chicken fired steak sandwhich which is not featured now. They also only have a regular chili dog, not the footlong. Gone also are the fried pickle o's which were great. Now I only stop for a diet strawberry limeaide and when they offer the 99 cent jr. banana split.
Rev.Bucky
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/02 03:37:26 (permalink)
I think Sonic rocks. I have only been to the one in Reno NV., but we are supposedely getting one soon here in my neck of the woods, Southern Oregon. I will be there often, because their beverages are great. The Cherry Limeade, the Ocean Water (IIRC) flavored fountain Cokes, MMMMMM. The food I ate there was ok, average (But I'm gonna get that Frito Pie and some Onion Rings next time!) but it was by far better than McD's, our local Wendys (Who are now not hot and juicy, but dry and chewy, and the flavor reminds me of the burgers we used to get in the school cafeteria.) or A@W (which back in the days of drive ins had an order system identical to Sonics). And the menu has more options than Wendys and Mcdonalds combined!

I must address some of what has been said, and I will try to remain civil, but I really can't belive some of the people here! I mean, you are sitting in your car, looking at the menu, and there is a speaker there and a button. I have been going to drive ins since the Sixties, and most drive ins have this setup. How hard is it to figure that out, especially when I think it says press here to order. By the way, see that line of cars driving through in a line towards a pickup window, here in America we call that a drive up window, where you speak into a speaker, order the food and pick it up. Maybe some of you know what I'm talking about.

Why would I want to sit in a car? Gee, I have the option of sitting in my car, listening to my choice of music, and cleaning it up, or tcb until my food comes. Or I can go into a Fast Food Resteraunt sit on a hard plastic bench, and listen to somebodies screaming brats, or really bad elevator music, or bad top fourty radio, huffing in grease, or bleach, or some other industrial cleaner. Yeah, I would prefer to sit in my car, then to have to deal with the mess and the noise of people.

And if you guys think Michigan is bad, we have no Sonics, no Waffle Houses, no White Castle, and in the town I'm in, they recently redid the roads, putting our local Dennys and IHOP out of business. Now I'm no fan of IHOP or Dennys, but my Mom likes them, and hey, I really don't care about what I'm eating as long as it's tolerable, and I get to hang out with my Mom!!

So to the Sonic haters, I say this, eat at a gas station or a seven eleven, for those quick stop meals, or sit in a crusty Mcdonalds or Taco Bell. Try that for about two days, then go to Sonics, and tell me it's not better!
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/02 13:56:12 (permalink)
Yesterday on the hunt for something unusual to paint on, I went to the local Salvation Army store, it's only a mile or so frrom the house but I hadn't been in that direction in a couple of weeks. To my surprise a new joint has been added at the end of fastfood alley. Ralley's sits on one corner of Beach Blvd and St Johns Bluff rd, Krystals sits just across the corner and Wendy's is just down SJB, down Beach you pass McD's, Tacobell, Arby's and KFC and NOW Sonic! This makes at least 4 within 15 minutes of home, they are sprouting up faster than superwalmart of which there are 2 within a 5minute drive and 4 within a 15minute drive with another being built 5minutes in another direction.....
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1