The lure of Sonic, never understood it.

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/03 12:53:52 (permalink)
"I must address some of what has been said, and I will try to remain civil, but I really can't belive some of the people here! I mean, you are sitting in your car, looking at the menu, and there is a speaker there and a button. I have been going to drive ins since the Sixties, and most drive ins have this setup. How hard is it to figure that out, especially when I think it says press here to order. By the way, see that line of cars driving through in a line towards a pickup window, here in America we call that a drive up window, where you speak into a speaker, order the food and pick it up. Maybe some of you know what I'm talking about."

You may have tried to remain civil but you failed.

I have been going to drive ins since the 50’s and do not remember having to push a button to place an order. I now live in an area with hundreds of fast food drive in facilities. None, other than Sonic, require you to push a button; the others greet me and ask to take my order. I know of no other fast food place that requires this, do you?

John
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/03 15:44:15 (permalink)
Generally drive throughs have a bell and as soon as you stop a garbled voice will welcome you and ask for your order, why is the menu at the same place as the speaker if they aren't going to give you enough time to read it let alone decide.. Sonic solved this problem back before it was a problem, you park and lesurely preuse the menus on either side of you car and when your ready, weither 3minutes or 20minutes, find the big red circle that says order here, press the button, make your order and a few minutes later your food arrives
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/04 12:48:16 (permalink)
Hi dreamzpainter,

You are right up the road from me. Does Sonic have a drive through, if so how do they handle that? The only time I hit a drive through is when I'm on the road and pressed for time. I'm almost always alone and know what I want before I get there.

John
dreamzpainter
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/04 13:24:23 (permalink)
Most of the Sonics have drivethru's and I suppose they work the same as any other. I've used it a time or 2 on the way to the beach but there are so many drink options I prefer to pull into a "stall" and ponder
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15278
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/04 13:38:51 (permalink)

The only difference on the Drive-Thrus at Sonic is that after you call in your order at the speaker-stop, you pull forward and someone brings your order out to the car and makes change etc there...no "pick-up window". It usually works just about as fast.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/04 14:24:01 (permalink)
Why are there Sonic franchises everywhere in the country except the Northeast USA?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15278
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/04 14:47:50 (permalink)
Wait a little bit, They are spreading like wildfire.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18450
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/04 14:48:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

Why are there Sonic franchises everywhere in the country except the Northeast USA?

Because people from the Northeast can't sit in cars and eat at the same time.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4584
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/04 14:55:13 (permalink)
I don't consider Cincinnati to be in the NE, and yet we do not have a Sonic (there is one in the next county north, tho)
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18450
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/04 15:02:13 (permalink)
I stop at the Sonic in Nelsonville. That's the one closest to me. They also have Sonics in Athens, Jackson, Franklin, Maineville and Portsmouth.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13500
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/04 15:05:50 (permalink)
I was a fan of Son for many years. Recently (last couple of years), they have modified the quality of their product. It is no longer outstanding which it used to be. As a matter of fact when I started posting here a few years ago, I posted and perhaps even started a few threads about my appreciation for their product.

Lately, it is not the same and in fact just become mediocre in my opinion.

I recently saw their advertisment for a $1.00 banana split. The next time I was by there, I stopped and ordered one. I should have known that for a $1.00 not to expect too much but it was even less than I expected. The advertisment sure does embellish the product.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3755
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/05 03:00:24 (permalink)
quote:

You say that like it is a BAD thing.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/05 12:38:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

In general, there seem to be less franchises in the northeastern USA. Not just Sonic, but Hardees, Carls Jr and other notorious franchises are absent in the Northeast USA. I found this to be especially true since I moved from New Jersey to New Mexico. There are so many more ways here to destroy your colon. And no, it's not a bad thing. Like Sundancer said, Sonic is probably the best of a very uninteresting group of franchises.
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/05 12:42:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

I was going to suggest that it's too cold to be forced to eat in the car in the Northeast for all but about 4 months of the year. The local DQ re-opens for the season sometime in April (and they have a dining area, you just don't sell enough soft-serve cones in January to open the door). I doubt if Sonic Corporate would support a seasonal operation. Not to mention the fact that a fast-food franchise probably wouldn't pay people enough to deliver flash-freezing burgers carside (and they'd have to supply Polarfleece Gore-Tex carhop outfits).

But I like Stevekoe's response better.
dreamzpainter
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/05 14:44:01 (permalink)
I don't know if my remembererer is at fault or if the qaulity has just dropped off. It seems whenever a place grows quickly and outpaces the parent corps oversite, quality and portions suffer
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/05 15:56:36 (permalink)
In Indianapolis, All of the Dog N Suds suddenly turned into Sonics 6-7 years ago. Then after a couple of years they all shut down at once. I went to them occasionally while they were open, but never saw the carhops on skates, just walked your order to the car. I did like their cherry limeades, but the rest of the menu was just ok IMO.
drpep
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/06 10:24:50 (permalink)
Sonic has opened in Ephrata, Pennsylvania.
Rev.Bucky
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/10 23:23:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

You may have tried to remain civil but you failed.

I have been going to drive ins since the 50’s and do not remember having to push a button to place an order. I now live in an area with hundreds of fast food drive in facilities. None, other than Sonic, require you to push a button; the others greet me and ask to take my order. I know of no other fast food place that requires this, do you?

John

Actually, as I stated, A@W does. If you go through the drive through, as opposed to the drive up stalls, they usually have an electric eye that alerts the people working there. But Drive ins, with stalls like Sonic all seem to have that speaker and push button combination, as have every old fashioned drive in I have been to. What's strange is there is an old drive in in Central Point OR, the Yellow Basket, that even had this for their drive up window. You had to press a button to orderfood, then drive up to pick it up at the drive through window!. Where do you live? I would love to be at a place that had hundreds of drive ins. I get tired of the Driveup/drive through instead of the old fashioned type, where you sit in the car, and have the food delivered.

By the way, I was being civil (FOR ME!!!) If I were uncivil, this whole message board might have melted!
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/11 07:48:10 (permalink)
Hey Rev,

I'm in Central Florida. Everything around here, other than Sonic, is a drive through. The A&W's are indoors with KFC and Taco Bell. I have never stopped at one and did not notice if they have a drive through or not. There is also one A&W inside a Long John Silvers, tried it once and have never been back. The first A&W I remember was in Red Bluff, CA, back in 1959. That was excellent, not like the stuff they put out today. Got out your way back in 1970, while driving north through the mountains I stopped at a little diner in a small town. Menu items were written on paper plates and stapled to the walls, decided to try the homemade chili. Seemed like it was taking a long time to heat up the chili when the front door opened and a little kid came in carrying a can of chili. Guess his momma forgot to tell him to come in the back door, had for a burger instead.

John
Red Green
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/14 19:51:31 (permalink)
Does anyone know how to spell nasty food? M-C-D-O-N-A-L-D-S

Sonic is good, but not as good as it was......
Rev.Bucky
Hamburger
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/15 06:02:42 (permalink)
Hey John A, I think it's all just terminology! To ME a drive in is where you park your car, order your food, and have the food delivered to your car. A drive through window is just that, and like I said, they have a an electric eye, or like the old days of Gas staions, that little plastic hose that rings a bell!! But I think you kind of settled that in your post!

I really miss the old days, where they brang it out to your car, had that weird little hanging tray, and if you were real lucky, the Car Hop was on skates. I miss Drive in Movies too.

Man it's tough to be in my early forties, and stuff that was in my childhood, and early youthood is GONE! That's why I think I like Sonic so much, it's a mini blast from my past!

I can't imagine this World in Twenty years, when I miss stuff from NOW!!!
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/17 08:11:48 (permalink)
Hey Rev,

If you think it's tough to be in your early 40's wait till you hit mid 60's. You know what they say, "Getting old is not for the meek".

John
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 633
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/17 12:30:43 (permalink)
I finally got to try a Sonics and I enjoyed it. Its pretty decent for typical fast food.
Rev.Bucky
Hamburger
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/04/22 03:40:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

Hey Rev,

If you think it's tough to be in your early 40's wait till you hit mid 60's. You know what they say, "Getting old is not for the meek".

John

Yeah, when my late Father would ramble on about hot dogs being a nickel, and Howard Johnsons being a dime, but they were worth it, I thought he was just a grumbly old man, always complaing about what things cost. Now, I do the what, two bucks, I remember when...,

But as my Father used to say "Getting old isn't so bad, just think of the alternitive!"
backfrmIraq
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/05/15 16:28:01 (permalink)
our Sonic up the road has a drive through....not impressed with their burgers.....very bland and dry, sorta like the old McDonalds McDLT or whatever that hideous lowfat burger they pushed on the masses in the late 80's or early 90's
backfrmIraq
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/05/15 16:34:02 (permalink)
Oops did a little google research and found the answer to the horrible Mc Donalds failures....first the McLean....tasted akin to cardboard....then there was the McDLT with the lettuce and tomato on the other side of a complicated styrofoam tub....definitely no CFC-free and finally the Arch Deluxe....all of'em inedible....
dreamzpainter
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/05/16 12:58:07 (permalink)
I agree the burgers are less than appealing and the dry bready roll doesnt help. Chili pie, tatertots and onion rings are my main choices as well as the many flavored drinks
roadrash
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2006/06/07 12:36:27 (permalink)
I rarely eat Sonic's food - for me it's all about the slushes. I love the grape slush, and love to mix the cherry and lemon slush together.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1