Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
2005/02/20 23:44:29 (permalink)

The lure of Sonic, never understood it.

Hola!

I used to live in the Southeastern United States, and one look at me would show that I love a good hamburger/fast food like the next fat American.

But, I have never understood the lure of Sonic. At other fast food places, if I order something at the drive through and then have to sit extra time in the parking lot, I would not go there again. This is Sonic, you drive in there, park, and talk in a box. Then just sit in their parking lot. Basically Sonic is a slow drive through.

While you wait, there are no bathrooms (you're in your car). I have walked inside the place (kitchen, cash register etc.) and the staff usually shoots me an ugly look like "This area is classified, there is no bathroom, please return to a.)broiling hot vehicle (in summer) or b.)freezing ass car (in the winter). So, the Sonic customer is there, in their car, staring at the secret kitchen box in the middle of the complex. Personally, I don't want to sit in my car in a boring parking lot during the hot summers or cold winters.

Lastly, I would think that Sonic would be an excellent place for a carjacking or vehicle theft, since the Sonic customer is sitting in their car (sleeping) with the keys in the ignition. This happened to an elderly woman outside of Memphis, Tennessee several years ago.

I just found the place slow, inconvient, time consuming, a teen hangout and expensive. Maybe I'm a Communist. Whatever.

The lure must be the Texas toast and the foo-foo shakes.

Senor

117 Replies Related Threads

Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/21 00:20:05 (permalink)
    Interesting. My kids and I have a regular Sonic stop (about once a week) which rarely takes more than 5 minutes and my daughter occasionally goes inside the back entrance to their bathroom. I generally find the place quick, convenient and relatively inexpensive and tasty. Different strokes I guess...
    Farmallcub
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/21 05:18:44 (permalink)
    I have also always had good food at Sonic and the 5 for 5 burger deal on Tue nights (Nashville market) is a great deal. Also I work 3rd shift and like that I can get a burger or anything on the menu in the AM.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/21 07:05:25 (permalink)

For me It's the Large (Hiway 44) sized lemon-berry or lime-berry slushes. We will pick one up at a drive-thru and find that we are sucking the ice at the bottom for close to 100 miles on the road.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/21 15:02:49 (permalink)
    A friend in Chicago who was born in Ponca City OK told me before I drove to visit my sister in Dallas, "You have to try Sonic. Be sure to have chili dogs, onion rings and, most importantly, the cherry limeade." The A/C in the car had died, it was July, and I stopped the first time I saw a sign. Even just in 1993, more of US 69 went through the towns, so it was easier to find them, whereas now 69 is being routed just outside of these towns. I loved that cherry limeade, and stopped again every time I ran out. I made it to Dallas even with a tire blowout, thanks to the kindness of people in and around Wagoner.

Sometimes the food is only mediocre, but it's difficult for me to divorce the flavor of their cherry limeade from the kindness I experienced in Oklahoma that day. Isn't this similar to how we miss our mother's cooking?
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/21 22:39:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

A friend in Chicago who was born in Ponca City OK told me before I drove to visit my sister in Dallas, "You have to try Sonic. Be sure to have chili dogs, onion rings and, most importantly, the cherry limeade." The A/C in the car had died, it was July, and I stopped the first time I saw a sign. Even just in 1993, more of US 69 went through the towns, so it was easier to find them, whereas now 69 is being routed just outside of these towns. I loved that cherry limeade, and stopped again every time I ran out. I made it to Dallas even with a tire blowout, thanks to the kindness of people in and around Wagoner.

Sometimes the food is only mediocre, but it's difficult for me to divorce the flavor of their cherry limeade from the kindness I experienced in Oklahoma that day. Isn't this similar to how we miss our mother's cooking?

I was on a business trip and decided to take a side trip to visit my in-laws. I was on some lonely Texas backroad, having eaten nothing since lunch, when I found a Sonic in some little town. It was obviously the place to cruise in town since I saw the same cars as many as six times as I ate, but when you consider that I was almost to the point of convenience store nuclear pizza, it was a wonderful meal. The closest one to me is 30+ miles, but in the summer we make the trip just because my kids enjoy eating outside occasionally. I also appreciate the fact that the food is consistent. I have to agree with Michael. The fact that all of my experiences there have been good ones adds greatly to my enjoyment of the rather middle of the road food.
    gatorbreath
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/22 13:44:55 (permalink)
    Sometimes, you gotta have a foot long chili cheese dog and there just ain't no other one within 500 miles.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18434
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/22 13:58:40 (permalink)
    The closest Sonic to me is about 75 miles away in southeast Ohio. The only time I ever get there is during hunting season. I'm a fan of their foot-long cheese coneys. My grandson likes their Supersonic cheeseburger,Tater Tots and something called a slush or slushie.
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/22 14:05:40 (permalink)
    as mentioned before,their slushes and their cherry-limeade are great! one just opened awhile back here in Tampa,I like their products and they seem to be doing well..........how could you NOT like something called 'cherry-limeade'?
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/22 16:03:46 (permalink)
    On my last cross-country jaunt I stopped in Texas for my first visit to sonic. While not great, I found the food acceptable and not an overly long wait. Any place where you can get a CFS Sandwich and a chili dog on the same order can't be bad!
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/22 16:51:06 (permalink)
    Agree with many that the food at Sonic is merely OK but the slushes are the greatest thing going, especially in summer weather (which is most of the time here). I also go to Sonic once in a while for the benefit of my traveling companion, CarolinaCorgi, who would eat Sonic tater tots over just about anything on the planet. This might be one reason that CarolinaCorgi rang up at 46# on last visit to vet. (Those of you that know what a Corgi is know that 46 pounds is a LOT of Corgi....)
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/22 16:55:47 (permalink)
    I discovered Sonic years ago while stationed in Arkansas, like most drive-ins it was the local gathering spot for teens and the anchor of the nightly car circut. Back then it was the frito pie and cherrycoke and mingling with the townies while watching the car parade. They have recently begun opening sonics here in northeast florida, the burgers leave a lot to be desired but the chilidogs and fritopies still hit the spot!! Huge drinks in any flavor you can imagine, that last and last and at least the one at Jax Beach is still the place for autophiles to see and be seen (dare I mention the roller skating waitress's?)Theres a Sonic by the mall but its atmosphere just isnt the same without the cruisers (I feel bad for senor boogie driving a car with no heat or ac)But its still a conveniant place to stop for a snack since its right between homedepot and lowes (did I mention the roller skating waitress's in shorts or short skirts?)
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/26 20:49:51 (permalink)
    I went to sonic in Ft. Wayne,Indiana and my waiter was pregnet. I felt sorry for her. Poor thing out there pregnet on roller skates delivering people their food. Im not saying she cant work or nothing. Dont dare pull that sexist card on me, all im saying is that i felt sorry for her.
    senor boogie woogie
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/27 10:21:58 (permalink)

Hola!

I don't drive now (not in the USA), but when I did, I had air and heat. However, if I wanted heat or air, I would have to keep my car running, wasting fuel.

I am not saying Sonic's food is not good. I know it is. I just refused to go there because it's inconvient. I just don't understand the rationale of sitting in a parking lot in the elements. I don't like just sitting in my car. It's boring. It's dumb. Some people actually eat in the parking lot. Why? I like to eat in the privacy of my home, in front of the TV or the computer.

They have a 50s theme,(the 1950s was before they had AC, cable TV, computers or anything interesting besides sex, Chuck Berry and whiskey) but it is now 2005, and I don't want to get carjacked by a crackhead waiting for a coney and some cheese fries.

Senor
    digger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/27 10:29:57 (permalink)
    Sonic often operated in cities and towns that McD's, BK, Wendy's etc. didn't consider to have a large enough market and thus developed quite a following in the south and southwest.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/27 11:51:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

but it is now 2005, and I don't want to get carjacked by a crackhead waiting for a coney and some cheese fries.

Senor

crackheads at Sonic-----MOST of the Sonics i've seen are a LONG way from the crackehead scene. The usual population of the Sonics in our neck of the woods,consists of teens in cars cruising,young families with a couple of kids in the back seat,carloads of cheerleaders, cops grabbing cold drink and retired farmers with their wife grabbing a bite on the way to the Gospel Barn jam sessions down the road! Just how long have you been in asia anyway Believe me--im an old---snd survining hippie---i KNOW the drug scene --one of the reasons i moved out of central California was that i getting tired of picking up used syringes and hastily tossed away glass pipes in the park i worked in--and Sonic is NOT where i'd expect to find crackheads.
    mbmusgrove
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/27 13:32:24 (permalink)
    I also must defend Sonic. The one near me is very clean, the staff courteous and has a drive-thru, if you don't want to eat there. If you don't want to eat in your car and be served by car-hops, which must be a nostalgic-type offer, there is a covered area with picnic tables. I'm willing to wait a few minutes to have a cheeseburger made then like I want it, and the patrons are all people with children, teens and non-threatening types like myself who just want something to eat. I eat there maybe once every two months, but I certainly can't find any fault with it, and actually enjoy it, when I just want some junk food.
    anselmo1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/27 15:41:55 (permalink)
    I wish Sonic would move into the Western New York area and heard a lot of good things about them.
    Unfortunately, winter is 6 to 8 months a year in our area and I doubt if someone would like to sit in their car and order food. Doubt that Sonic would ever move into the area.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/27 17:33:50 (permalink)
    Carjacking isn't really a big worry, at least around here, perhaps its the loaded gunrack or the pistol on the dashboard, but you'd have to be one totally baked flake to walk into a parking lot full of armed rednecks and try to jack someones whip.. I guess that if senor boogie doesn't get the drive-in scene no amount of explainin will help!!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/27 17:47:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

Hola!

I don't drive now (not in the USA), but when I did, I had air and heat. However, if I wanted heat or air, I would have to keep my car running, wasting fuel.

I am not saying Sonic's food is not good. I know it is. I just refused to go there because it's inconvient. I just don't understand the rationale of sitting in a parking lot in the elements. I don't like just sitting in my car. It's boring. It's dumb. Some people actually eat in the parking lot. Why? I like to eat in the privacy of my home, in front of the TV or the computer.

They have a 50s theme,(the 1950s was before they had AC, cable TV, computers or anything interesting besides sex, Chuck Berry and whiskey) but it is now 2005, and I don't want to get carjacked by a crackhead waiting for a coney and some cheese fries.

Senor

OK Senor... I'm comming clean here... I wasnt doing crack... I ate my 6 chili dogs and felt I needed more.. Since Sonic didnt have an ATM I figured I'd hijack someone elses dogs... I really didnt need them Cheese Fries, but since you handed them to me I took them also.
    My deepest apologies for scaring you... Now off to Indiana for my next fix...
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/27 23:20:14 (permalink)
    All winter I dream of the open road. Maybe I forget right now and just hope for the flu to end, but I will be imagining the various places on the Road in a day or two. Still, I have to gather all my courage every time before I leave by myself. Remember the Seals & Crofts song? I find myself retreating to the car because that's the little bit of home I have with me. I'm also always on the lookout for trouble, but I cannot and will not be cowed into staying home.

Near home I wouldn't eat in the car unless the top is down and I'm in direct line of sight to the ocean, but on the road it's sometimes a comforting place with my music, which makes people smile, not cringe. The towel I carry to place over my chest and lap is proof I'm a little OCD. Some people just don't enjoy eating in cars, so tell us what you think is better. Maybe we'll come to agree after we've tried it!
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/28 09:23:02 (permalink)

If I get to the mall in Dothan today, it will definitely be time for my Sonic Cherry Slush!
    (this is the only Sonic location, AFAIK, that's inside a mall)
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/28 10:46:50 (permalink)
    I do enjoy the slushies, an upper-crust version of the Slurpee. You can't sit outside a 7-Eleven and savor a Slurpee the same way you can a slushie outside a Sonic.
    cyrano
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/02/28 11:14:39 (permalink)
    I've got to defend Sonic too. I think their burgers are a step up from the chain fast-food competition, I like the choice of tater tots as opposed to fries, the slushes are great, and the drive-in concept reminds me of places I used to go as a teenager.

Don't forget to tip the server!
    big g in joisey
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/03/01 01:53:58 (permalink)
    The last couple of years Sonic has been advertising in the Nj/Ny metro area,
    yet I have not seen any in this area of the country,are they a regional chain only in the midwest and south.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/03/01 10:18:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by big g in joisey

The last couple of years Sonic has been advertising in the Nj/Ny metro area,
    yet I have not seen any in this area of the country,are they a regional chain only in the midwest and south.

they are a fixture in Texas and Oklahoma. Often the only major chain around---and while i am definatly not a big fan of chains---thy are clean--neat--the foods acceptable--and--(this is my major pet peeve with chains)-thier staff is usually way better trained the McD'S!!!!!!! Probably njust a small step below In and Out,which,in my opinion, is about as good as gets with chains.
    speechpeach
    Cheeseburger
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/03/01 16:52:20 (permalink)
    I like some of their foods, and they have half price drinks every weekday from 3-5 I think it is.
    RedPatti
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/03/01 18:52:37 (permalink)
    Sonic on Lemon 2 blocks north of the 91 in OC. Fantastic DIET cherry limeade. It is great to sit in your car listening to your tunes enjoying a sunny day in SoCal. Lovin' it.

FYI we enjoyed Sonic lunch on an overcast drizzly day just two weeks ago. Between rainstorms it was a great stop. Bathrooms are in the back of each Sonic.
    drpep
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/03/03 21:57:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by anselmo1

I wish Sonic would move into the Western New York area and heard a lot of good things about them.
    Unfortunately, winter is 6 to 8 months a year in our area

" />" /> Huh???? Not in my part of Western NY

I like Sonic although it does not make good car food.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: The lure of Sonic, never understood it. 2005/03/04 08:49:36 (permalink)
    Sonic has, by far, the most moronic commercials running today with the two bozos inside the car. The spots began by the two driving up to a competitor’s drive-through window and questioning why they didn’t carry something that Sonic did.

“You don’t have liver and whey shakes? Well, Sonic does!”

For this reason alone I would boycott Sonic. But then, I never liked them in the first place. I don’t like the concept, and the food is most forgettable.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1