The most unusual restaurant?

Author
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
2006/05/25 17:23:15 (permalink)

The most unusual restaurant?

Read this article, roughly a little over half way down: http://www.deltablues.net/tchula.html

A man by the name of Sam Sims has been cooking catfish off the back of his pickup truck, for 25 years. To me, this seems to be the essence of roadfood. If I lived anywhere within 100 miles of Tchula, Mississippi, I'd have to make a road trip here. What a great story.

7 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13546
    RE: The most unusual restaurant? 2006/05/25 18:29:03 (permalink)
    Believe it or not, I have run into similar places in Alabama. About 75 miles west of Montgomery, I came across a place next to a catfish pond. The gentleman caught the fish, filet it and fried it while you watched. Talk about fresh! I somewhat questioned the hygiene but I guess it was fried at around 350F. Probably killed any rascals that was lurking.

Incidentally he used White Lilly flour, salt, pepper, red pepper and garlic powder and fried the fish in pork lard that he indicated he had rendered.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: The most unusual restaurant? 2006/05/25 18:35:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Believe it or not, I have run into similar places in Alabama. About 75 miles east of Montgomery, I came across a place next to a catfish pond. The gentleman caught the fish, filet it and fried it while you watched. Talk about fresh! I somewhat questioned the hygiene but I guess it was fried at around 350F. Probably killed any rascals that was lurking.

Incidentally he used White Lilly flour, salt, pepper, red pepper and garlic powder and fried the fish in pork lard that he indicated he had rendered.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Interesting. That would put it around Dothan. My abode is a mere 60 more miles or so eastward.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: The most unusual restaurant? 2006/05/26 07:16:48 (permalink)
    Thanks nice link and a good story. Also click on the Hookers Rest. Link sounds like quite the spot. Chow Jim
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: The most unusual restaurant? 2006/05/31 14:20:16 (permalink)
    Reminds me of the "bbq in a parking lot" places that spring up near the weekends in Charlotte. There used to be a place named Buster's in the back of a hardware store in McClellenville, SC that had the best crab soup/stew I've ever had, both are now closed. Took my wife and kids there once (forty five minute detour=pissed wife) and even w/ no AC in SC in the summer she bought a quart of the stuff as take out.

McClennenville is about an hour north of Charleston just off hwy 17. There is a little cinderblock building next to the new hardware store close to THE stoplight on hwy 17 that has some great she crab soup, just not as good as Buster's. Also if you take a right at the light and get to the harbor there is a seafood market where the shrimp was brought in that morning. Buy the shrimp w/ the heads on and they will be alive...fresh shrimp takes on a whole new meaning when you bring them home alive. The harbor is only three minutes off hwy 17.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: The most unusual restaurant? 2006/05/31 16:02:19 (permalink)
    If I came across fresh fried fish like that, I could care less if I had eaten 5 minutes ago,I could not have turned it down. Freshest thing you see around here are coons in coolers, uncooked, to which I'd pass regardless.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4304
    RE: The most unusual restaurant? 2006/05/31 17:00:18 (permalink)
    Taking the title of your thread and the forum it's in to the ultimate degree, I just remembered a long gone Chicago restaurant from the late 70s called "Seafood Circus" The waitress had applied full clown make up and wore the whole baggy pants and tiny hat routine with a straight face. The interior decor was a mix of circus tent chic and educational type fish posters (the kind you'd see in a grade school classroom illustrating different species of fish) adorning the walls. A few carefully draped fishing nets rounded out the atmosphere.

I ate there once because it was close to the theatre and we were trying to make an early curtain.

The theatre is still there. Seafood Circus is not.

Buddy
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: The most unusual restaurant? 2006/05/31 17:21:29 (permalink)
    The website itself, deltablues.net, is absolutely fascinating. I've spent a couple of hours on it and haven't read it all. Give it a look-see.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1