The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience.

Author
utvols
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
2008/06/03 13:50:10 (permalink)

The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience.

Wow! I went into this place with an heir of arrogance. I went to the original Ott's when I was at UT because I had heard so many people talk about it. I got there before noon, ordered a BBQ sandwich and they said they were out of Q. Really? So the other day I heard they had reopened and they were the same as before so I gave it a shot.

Those who remember Ott's will find this one in the exact same location and from what I am told it is the exact same recipe's. Evidently they bought the location and recipes but the connections end there. The building has been redone with a granite counter top lunch counter and dual plasma TVs behind them. There is a nice patio area to eat at as well. Come to think of it they really gave the appearance the Farragut treatment.

Sandwich. I ordered the small because I really wasn't expecting a quality Q. Wow! It was plenty big and delicious. They has a sour slaw which I have come to love over my years of eating and I really can't explain it. The bun was slightly toasted to give it an appropriate crunch (but not too much) as I bit down into it. They had a regular and a hot sauce, both of which I loved. The sauce is a red vinegar based sauce that added to the tangyness of the slaw. The slaw even though sour did have the requisite TN ingredient of celery seed. There is a huge smoker on the side of the building that someone was attending too when I pulled up so I felt assured of the meat being cooked on premise. Speaking of the meat was from the butt and was properly pulled. Texture, smoke, price, and quality were all there. Great Q if you like sour slaw and sauce (it was a pleasant change of pace). I had to request a fork because so much meat and slaw fell off of my bun. Literally I was scraping the plat.

I owe y'all 2 more reviews in Knoxville and I'm taking some buddy's to Ridgewood in the Tri- Cities this weekend We'll see if they let me live to review it (with pictures this time)

16 Replies Related Threads

utvols
    Junior Burger
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/06/03 13:55:02 (permalink)
    Forgot the address. 12828 Kingston Pike Knoxville, TN 37934 (865) 675-6887#8206; (865) 966-9538
    Rockbeast
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/06/03 16:31:29 (permalink)
    I finally got to try the new Ott's a couple weeks ago...then went out of town for 2 solid weeks! So, let me say that I enjoyed it, and I was disappointed. The highlights: The meat! All by itself it is very nice. Put a little slaw on top and it's very good. Which brings me to the next highlight...the Slaw! utvols is right and the celery seed makes it especially tasty.

Now, regarding my disappointment, it was mainly the sauce. All I could really taste was vinegar. The spices were overwhelmed. It's ok, but I was expecting "oh boy!" The beans were fine, but not exceptional. Next time, I'm getting the large sandwich with slaw and beans...I'm still glad the place is back in business. Maybe they can tweak things a bit and make it even better.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/06/03 17:53:07 (permalink)
    I will visit there next week end and I will give my report. I question the reviews by the two previous posters.

Pul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    utvols
    Junior Burger
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/06/04 00:38:12 (permalink)
    Sundancer,

What do you question? I will happily clarify any questions you may have.

Rockbeast,

I have to say that it was their vinegar sauce that made it so good. It's entirely different than my own style sauce and I think I like the change. I also have been craving "sour" lately and that may be part of it. Tony Packo's pickles aren't cutting it any more.

My next review was going to be on TD's on Middlebrook (across the street from Goodwill) but it has been several months since I ate there and decided I could not do it justice. I will say I liked it so good I went back in a few days. It's just not my neck of the woods that I get to very often. I do remember their banana pudding being very good and home made. I really like their Q and just can't give them the review they deserve it's been so long. I will say this, it is a truer Memphis style of Q.
    jman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1366
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/06/04 09:22:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tennessee_Trash

Sundancer, I realize that you are an administrator but where do you get off questioning other poster's reviews? You are certainly entitled to your opinion but that doesnt give you the right to flame other people's reviews. What is your basis for questioning these reviews?

Hey newbie, who are you to take a well-respected member of our community to task? If he has reservations about the reviews, I can assure you he has good reason.

Maybe your name says it all. Move along, your comments aren't needed here.
    susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/06/04 09:37:41 (permalink)
    I believe he is questioning their reviews because they are both new posters. There are times on this board when newbies will jump on just to promote their own product.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/06/04 10:22:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jman

quote:
    Originally posted by Tennessee_Trash

Sundancer, I realize that you are an administrator but where do you get off questioning other poster's reviews? You are certainly entitled to your opinion but that doesnt give you the right to flame other people's reviews. What is your basis for questioning these reviews?

Hey newbie, who are you to take a well-respected member of our community to task? If he has reservations about the reviews, I can assure you he has good reason.

Maybe your name says it all. Move along, your comments aren't needed here.

I agree! We don't need no "trash" talk. And, yes, the pun was intended!
    utvols
    Junior Burger
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/06/04 10:50:57 (permalink)
    I'm just a fat guy who like to eat and cook Bar-b-q. If I was associated with some place I would hope to at least get a free meal out of them. I also would have written about the beans but I didn't get them so I don't know.

Seriously, I'm in East Tennessee and have to suffer through what some people pass off as Bar-b-q. I grew up eating out of little mom and pop type Bar-b-q joints and get excited to have something pop up in Knoxville or elsewhere in this neck of the woods. I ate at a place in Knoxville the other day (new place I doubt anyone would know about) that the Q was so bad I didn't finish it. That has to be awful for me not to eat it (see my first sentence)and I can't decide whether or not to write about it because I hate to see a place fail. For now I would rather write about the good experiences. Which is why I also suggest TD's.

For anyone who cares, I heard that Kelvin of "Sarge's" fame (the Sarge's son) was moving to Atlanta. I know he hasn't had his restaurant open in years but I would occasionally run into him and knew he still did catering every once in a while. His Jamaican jerk recipe and chess bars will always be some of my favorite UT memories.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/06/04 11:00:25 (permalink)
    utvols: I was not questioning your thoughts. Usually when a new member pumps a restaurant, it brings on a lot of questions and that was my thought. I appreciate your reviews.

I am very familar with Sarge. I first new him around 1970 when he had a BBQ place on Kingston Pike. He closed that one for some reason and started smoking at his home on Tennessee Ave. He later opened up on Western Ave. I like his stuff a lot better before he started using cloves.

I am a native Knoxvillian and I agree that there is very little if any great BBQ in Knoxville. I hope Ott's makes it. I have yet to hear a review that indicates that they have yet to have it together.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    utvols
    Junior Burger
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/06/24 17:03:40 (permalink)
    Sundancer,

We are looking for your review. It's been 3 weeks.
    Rockbeast
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/07/07 10:50:10 (permalink)
    I'm hoping to Hear Sundancer's experience at Ott's too! Have you had a chance to head over to Dixie Lee Junction? For those of you who aren't familiar with Ott's, it is about as far west in west Knox County as you can get without being a Fireworks store! I'm fortunate that I live in west knox co. but it still is 'way out there' for me.

I'm ready to head back for another round and wondered how things are developing over at Ott's. Sundancer's review would be a great help.

BTW, has anyone tried that little shack over on Walker Springs Road, it might be called Pup's Place? It's in the spot where an old gas station was located, near to the Shoney's restaurant. I enjoy the fragrance when I drive by (I roll down my windows!) but haven't stopped yet.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/07/07 21:46:40 (permalink)
    If anyone has a question for the moderators about a post or thread's merits, please use email to communicate your concerns.
    AL
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/07/08 05:51:43 (permalink)
    I visited Ott's BBQ in Dixie Lee Lunction about 15 miles west of knoxville. It is a very pretty place that has been totally remodeled. I had their chopped pork sandwich and a side of slaw. The pork was very good but their sauce is North Carolina style and full of vinegar and their salw is the same. Way too much vinegar for me.

If you are a fan of this style of BBQ, you will enjoy the place. I am not and probably will not return. Not because of the quality, cleanliness or appearance but because of the sauce and slaw. Fortunately, I ordered the sauce on the side but the slaw is what it is.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    bbires
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/07/25 22:57:05 (permalink)
    Utvol, I'm excited about this addition to the K'ville scene. I love N.C. bbq and look forward to trying this place. I'm usually in a rut and pressed for time when I'm up there and end up at one of the chains on Kingston Pike.
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1512
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/07/25 23:35:49 (permalink)
    The restaurant reviewer in the Knoxvile paper "The Grub Scout" just had a writeup about a relatively new place called B&D Rib Shack. Anyone tried that?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The new Ott's in Knoxville, my experience. 2008/07/26 17:50:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ces1948

The restaurant reviewer in the Knoxvile paper "The Grub Scout" just had a writeup about a relatively new place called B&D Rib Shack. Anyone tried that?

I plan to try it the next time I am in the area. It is across town from me out on Rutledge Pike.

It seems that the reviewer enjoyed the ribs and his wife liked the chicken. He is very tough on his restaurant reviews and when he likes something, it must be better than average.

Otts in Farragut at Dixie Lee Junction was way to much vinegar for me with their sauce and cole slaw. Just my personal opinion.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1