The new bomber (interesting only to the airplane lovers on this site)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5487
Re:The new bomber (interesting only to the airplane lovers on this site) 2013/12/14 03:10:24 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

The most dramatic flyover I ever experienced was 09/11/2001. 

I was in Alexandria, VA standing on King St. near 395 where, shortly before, I had felt through my feet both of force of the impact and fuel explosion from what we soon learned was the Pentagon attack.  The sound followed seconds later. 

Minutes later two F-16's created sonic booms as they screamed in at low altitude, passing Skyline City before banking to go down 395.  They dipped and disappeared from view, then went nearly vertical, proceeding west under full military power.

Jim, that is quite the story, thanks for sharing it.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
Re:The new bomber (interesting only to the airplane lovers on this site) 2013/12/14 06:18:58 (permalink)
EdSails

In my first year as a film student, I did a remake of "Casablanca". For the last scene, filmed at Van Nuys Airport, I was able to get use of a B-25 Mitchell bomber as the plane they get into. Looking around inside it was really incredible. It was restored and I could almost her the crew talking. 

Ed - do you recall which year that was....curious as I was based at Van Nuys for a short while?

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4323
Re:The new bomber (interesting only to the airplane lovers on this site) 2013/12/14 08:35:38 (permalink)
MikeS.

MetroplexJim

The most dramatic flyover I ever experienced was 09/11/2001. 

I was in Alexandria, VA standing on King St. near 395 where, shortly before, I had felt through my feet both of force of the impact and fuel explosion from what we soon learned was the Pentagon attack.  The sound followed seconds later. 

Minutes later two F-16's created sonic booms as they screamed in at low altitude, passing Skyline City before banking to go down 395.  They dipped and disappeared from view, then went nearly vertical, proceeding west under full military power.

Jim, that is quite the story, thanks for sharing it.

Light up "Google Maps". 

My point of view for these events was a Lexus dealership at the corner of King and Quaker Lane in Alexandria.  I never saw Flight 77, only felt the result of its tragic end through the soles of my feet.  The booms from the two F-16's shook the plate glass and stunned observers. 

It amazes me that the 'conspiracy theorists' say that a missle hit the Pentagon rather than Flight 77 - especially when there were many eyewitnesses!  Here are two first-hand accounts.

My former GF ran a church preschool on Columbia Pike & S. Wayne St. in Arlington.  On that warm, clear morning she was on the playground supervising a class when Flight 77 came by so low she thought it was going to hit the Sheraton Hotel.  She claims to have seen faces in the window.  As her dad is a former EAL pilot her other thoughts were way too fast; no landing gear.

The parts driver for the Lexus dealership actually witnessed the impact as he was returning to the dealership.  He had just crossed the 14th. St. Bridge on 395 South.  He said that the plane's wing hit first by the Pentagon's helo pad and, as a result, the plane hit with a 'tumbling' motion.  His vehicle was hit with shrapnel and it took him over a year to recover the hearing function in his right ear.

As to Flight 93: .  Let all innocent souls aboard R.I.P. 
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/12/15 08:11:33
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4138
Re:The new bomber (interesting only to the airplane lovers on this site) 2013/12/14 12:11:07 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

EdSails

In my first year as a film student, I did a remake of "Casablanca". For the last scene, filmed at Van Nuys Airport, I was able to get use of a B-25 Mitchell bomber as the plane they get into. Looking around inside it was really incredible. It was restored and I could almost her the crew talking. 

Ed - do you recall which year that was....curious as I was based at Van Nuys for a short while?

I did the film in 1975-76. 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1