The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah!

Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 6 of 9, messages 151 to 180 of 241
BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4082
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Thu, 02/16/12 4:25 PM (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Also, am I going to need a horse-choking wad of quarters for street parking?

Probably not.  Most Chicago neighborhoods have eliminated parking meters and switched over to "centrally located" pay boxes.  You park your car, walk (usually) a short distance to the clearly marked pay box, then put in hard currency, debit or credit card for a specific amount of time.  The machine spits out a ticket with the date and the expiration time.  You put the ticket in your front window on the passenger's side dashboard and your done.

In some ways it's a more convenient, more reliable method than the old meters.  Some people like them, others not so much.  The biggest uproar though came because of a rate increase, which would have been instituted with or without the meters.

Mrs. Roadhouse and I will actually be in the Sun Wah neighborhood this evening, dining at an equally high quality spot, Tank Noodle.  We'll scope out the parking situation and let you know what is required.

Buddy

AlyceinRoadfoodland

• Total Posts: 31
    Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Thu, 02/16/12 5:00 PM (permalink)
    Speaking of parking, although this is way, way off topic, I wanted to tap into the entire Chicago Roadfood Brain Trust to ask which America's Dog (I have a Groupon) has the best, or the least bad, parking?

Thanks!!

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 695
      Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Thu, 02/16/12 7:18 PM (permalink)
      Brad, not sure how they'll arrange us- they have big round tables that seat 10, so we'll have at least a couple of those.  I've stayed there for a plenty long time during peak dinner hours and never felt rushed.

And da may'r got rid of the old parking meters and we're now in the 21st century- all digital meters that take plastic.  Get wit the times!

ETA: oops, didn't see the previous answers!
      <message edited by abe_froeman on Thu, 02/16/12 7:20 PM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
        Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Thu, 02/16/12 7:40 PM (permalink)
        All I know is I am frothing at the mouth for this meet-up! Thanks to Mike-we will work out details soon.........

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Fri, 02/17/12 2:12 AM (permalink)
          Follow up to my post #151: We were in the Little Vietnam neighborhood (which includes Sun Wah) this evening and discovered they do indeed use the pay box system.  $1.75 bought us an hour of street parking right across the street from Tank Noodle's front door.  So, even if we spend a prolonged period of time at Sun Wah, it shouldn't cost more than about four bucks to park.

Hold it!!!  We're going on a Sunday--we may not have to pay for parking at all!  Either way, parking is going to be less than five smackeroos, so no worries.

BTW, we had great shrimp spring rolls and an outstanding BBQ pork banh mi at Tank Noodle.  Simmered ginger chicken was okay, but definitely the weak link in the dinner chain.

AlyceinRoadfoodland, I sent you a PM about a week ago inquiring about your travel and local transportation arrangements.  Did you receive it?

Re: Your question about America's Dog...
          1. The best location in regard to parking would be the Lincoln Park spot.  Unless you're flying in to/out of O'Hare, in which case there's a location right in the airport requiring no parking at all.
          2. Please don't take this as being snarky or snobby, but seeing as you're coming to Chicago, and we've got about a thousand genuine mom & pop hot dog stands, practically one per block, scattered all over the city and suburbs, why on Earth do you want to go to America's Dog?  The Groupon?  A Chicago Hot Dog will cost you about three bucks.  Throw in fries and a drink and you're talking, maybe, six dollars.  Heck, I'll treat you to a real Chicago Hot Dog if you promise not to go to America's Dog.

In fact that's what the PM was concerning: What part of town are you staying in, and are you renting a car or will you need a ride to Sun Wah?  If you're staying out by O'Hare, we're about two minutes away from every hotel in the area and we'd be glad to pick you up.

Alyce, everyone here is looking forward to meeting you.  See you in about ten days.

Buddy

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
            Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Fri, 02/17/12 4:10 PM (permalink)
            abe_froeman

And da may'r got rid of the old parking meters and we're now in the 21st century- all digital meters that take plastic.  Get wit the times!

Yep, they've hit Madison, too.  Pretty slick idea but you have to be careful or you'll pay the tab for somebody else's parking.

Of course, some places around me still have hitching posts.

ETA: oops, didn't see the previous answers!

When your father says (or writes) something it's important and you should always pay attention!  At least, that's what I tell my kids...not that it makes any difference.

abe_froeman

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Fri, 02/17/12 9:48 PM (permalink)
              Do the ones in Madison assign you a spot number or something?  The ones in Detroit do that- each space is numbered and you have to tell the box which one you're parked in.  

The Chicago system doesn't have numbered spots- it solely relies on you putting the sticker on your passenger side dashboard that says how much time you bought.  And different streets are different amounts, based on demand.

abe_froeman

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Fri, 02/17/12 10:17 PM (permalink)
                UPDATE!!

I've been playing phone tag with the person at Sun Wah who arranges the large parties.  I finally talked to her tonight and here's the scoop!

The pig is about 10 pounds and is $90; she said one is probably enough for the group (she said "if you have leftovers, you can take them home"....she clearly doesn't know who she's dealing with here!).  Each duck is $37 (in addition to the majority of the meat being cut off at the beginning, that includes the rice or noodle dish and the soup they turn it into) and feeds 4-5 people, so I ordered 5 ducks and made the reservation for 24 people, 1:00pm on the 26th.  That by itself is $275, but divided between 24 people, that's only about $11/head.  I'm sure we're going to get other things too, but that's still really reasonable.  

The order can be changed; I have to call her back anyway because there's a $20 deposit on the pig, which I'm fine with covering ahead of time....I know where most of you live!

So, as long as that sounds good to everyone, I'll call her and confirm the reservations.  People can be added or subtracted up to a day or two before without too much trouble, so keep me posted on any changes.  I'd like to call back on Monday to confirm everything, so please discuss de cannard et de cochon!  

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Fri, 02/17/12 10:40 PM (permalink)
                  I might question the need for five ducks if we're planning to get other entrees.  I think X1 mentioned in a previous post that she was not especially interested in the quackers, and I'm not sure everyone will make the duck a priority.

Personally, I think four ducks will do the trick.  If we're interested in variety, the $37 could be applied to at least two other entrees.  If everyone is focused on the duck, rather than other entrees, then stick with the five count.

What's the group opinion?

Buddy

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
                    Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Fri, 02/17/12 11:37 PM (permalink)
                    Ordering four ducks is probably fine, but if buffetbuster makes a surprise appearance, we'll need five.  I'm happy to try other menu items, too, but  the pig and the duck are definitely the main attraction. I'll have to revisit the menu and see what else we may want; I wonder if they have Stinky Tofu?

quijote

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Fri, 02/17/12 11:38 PM (permalink)
                      Oh, here's a question: will tip be included in the bill?

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Sat, 02/18/12 5:21 AM (permalink)
                        quijote

Ordering four ducks is probably fine, but if buffetbuster makes a surprise appearance, we'll need five.  I'm happy to try other menu items, too, but  the pig and the duck are definitely the main attraction. I'll have to revisit the menu and see what else we may want; I wonder if they have Stinky Tofu?

He may make a surprise appearance, but right now both He AND CTD have hit a serious RF wall this weekend.  Of course that may have something to do with well over 20 RF places in 3 days. 
                        and the fact that at Rotiers the 3 of us ordered so much food they had to slide another table over just for the plates of food, and that was their 4th stop that day.
                        <message edited by CajunKing on Sat, 02/18/12 5:23 AM>

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Sat, 02/18/12 1:47 PM (permalink)
                          Dem boys is crazy!  Sorry I wasn't there.

Buddy

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                            Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Sat, 02/18/12 1:48 PM (permalink)
                            abe_froeman

Do the ones in Madison assign you a spot number or something?  The ones in Detroit do that- each space is numbered and you have to tell the box which one you're parked in.

Exactly.  The day we first used one our table was in the front window (naturally, we were eating somewhere) and we watched a car with Pennsylvania plates pull up.  Eventually all 4 of its occupants were clustered around the box, apparently either fascinated or frustrated.

About the duck...Mrs. SC is the only one who's ever had it and that was many years ago, so at this point we'll probably be more interested in just tasting it while concentrating on the pork and other dishes.

Plus I don't want to eat too much, as I'd like to end my current White Castle drought...

Brad

abe_froeman

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Sat, 02/18/12 3:06 PM (permalink)
                              I'll check into the gratuity issue and cut back on the duck order.

Here's the list so far:

abe_froeman & Mr. Maki   2 
                              Buddy and Mrs. Roadhouse   2 
                              Gyp   1 
                              MilwFoodlovers   1 
                              quijote   1 
                              X1   1 
                              ScreamingChicken   3 
                              irisarbor   5 
                              stricken_detective   1 
                              ann peeples   1 
                              cubbie   1  
                              AlyceinRoadfoodland   1

A couple of my friends   2

That's 22- cjucoder and living4fnwi RSVP'ed "yes" awhile ago, but haven't posted since then.  I sent a PM to cjucoder, but living4fnwi doesn't accept PMs.....anyone have an alternative method of contact? 

CTD is a maybe until a couple days before and CSD is out of town, I believe.

I want to call them by the 23rd with the absolute final guest list (barring unforeseen incidents, of course) so let me know of any last-minute additions/subtractions by then!  

AlyceinRoadfoodland

• Total Posts: 31
                                Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Sat, 02/18/12 3:32 PM (permalink)
                                Dear Buddy:
                                Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!  All you say is true...but I am very interested in the America's Dog concept.  I'm definitely going to have the Richmond Dog (comes with macaroni and cheese)!!
                                Unfortunately, Groupon no good at the airport.  Thanks for the offer of a lift but I am going to have a car.
                                As far as the menu goes, I'm there for the pig!

quijote

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Sat, 02/18/12 3:47 PM (permalink)
                                  Sounds like a plan. Abe, I think I have cjucoder's e-mail, so I'll ask her to confirm with you directly or indirectly (via me). She also may be at the Mardi Gras dinner here in Mke on Tuesday, just in case we don't hear back. Living4fun is on the Facebook, so I'll send you both a message or something about it.

cjucoder

• Total Posts: 164
                                    Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Sat, 02/18/12 4:44 PM (permalink)
                                    Hey guys!  Yup, I'm still in, I responded to Abe's PM.   I'm all about the pig, I know I love that.  I've never had that kind of duck before so I'd love to try it.   I like almost everything and love to try new things, so I am completely fine with whatever the menu ends up being.

And yeah, with this amount of people I think anything other than splitting the bill equally would be way too much whoo-haaa.  These are very reasonable prices regardless.

Thanks abe for putting this together!  Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Oh, that reminds me, better update my GPS maps.

X1

• Total Posts: 937
                                      Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Sat, 02/18/12 5:29 PM (permalink)
                                      I agree that 4 ducks would be fine. As I said, I might taste a bite of it, but, in all my years, I haven't ever tasted duck that I liked. Just one of those things. 
                                      And I definitely do want to order other things to try, so whether that's added to the total, or put on a separate bill for me, that's fine...I'll share, tho', I ain't that way. 

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Sun, 02/19/12 1:55 AM (permalink)
                                        ScreamingChicken

...I don't want to eat too much, as I'd like to end my current White Castle drought...

I'm not sure if I'm disgusted by you or if I admire the guts it took to admit that on this forum.

I've never considered myself an enabler, but there's a WC on Addison and Kedzie.  Please be considerate of the group and go there after Sun Wah.  You know why...

Buddy

irisarbor

• Total Posts: 603
                                          Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Sun, 02/19/12 11:27 PM (permalink)
                                          I am leaning towards thinking we should do 5 ducks
                                          Once folks start eating it , they will want more, not less.
                                          and if there is leftover, we can take it with.
                                          Plus the duck is not a spectacularly meaty bird,
                                          I mean it's not like a Purdue roaster-stuffer, if ya know what I mean,
                                          and we can't add one on at the last minute (I don't think)
                                          so... that's my .02

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Mon, 02/20/12 2:27 AM (permalink)
                                            If, in fact, the duck must be pre-ordered, then I would agree with you about getting five of them.  The word on the street though, is that the duck has become so popular at Sun Wah, it is no longer necessary to order in advance.  I don't know this for an absolute fact, so maybe our hostess can research this and come up with an answer.

If the ducks must be ordered ahead of time, then maybe we should opt for five.  If we can get a last minute duck, then I think we should stick with four and see how it goes.  Who knows, we might need six.

Buddy

abe_froeman

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Mon, 02/20/12 8:42 AM (permalink)
                                              Unless there are people who just don't eat duck under any circumstances, I think sticking with five might be the way to go.  When I was there with 6 people, we got 2 ducks and ate both of them, as well as the rice and noodle dish.  Honestly, the soup they make with it is just sorta "meh"....there's so many other good things to eat there, the soup isn't really worth the space in your belly. 

Each extra duck adds a whopping $1.54 to each person's bill; if we end up eating only 4 and the fifth one gets taken as leftovers, whoever takes it can pay for it. 

I'm pretty sure the ducks can be ordered when you're there, but there's a longer wait if they don't have extras.  Ordering ahead means we get priority.

quijote

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Mon, 02/20/12 9:23 AM (permalink)
                                                Let's get the fifth duck, then. It's better to have a little left over than not enough. I'm rather fond of the quackers, so will have no problem filling up on them.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                  • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                  Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Mon, 02/20/12 5:22 PM (permalink)
                                                  I agree with both abe and quijote! Let them eat duck! ( I will certainly eat my fill for the extra money!)

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                    • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Mon, 02/20/12 5:46 PM (permalink)
                                                    I have 4 ducks do I hear a five ducks?? Yes we have a 5 ducks now how bout 6??
                                                    Six little ducks all laying on a plate do I hear 6???  Come on duck eaters you know how good its going to be and that you will want more and there will be no leftovers so how abuot it now do I hear 6 ducks??

abe_froeman

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Tue, 02/21/12 11:39 PM (permalink)
                                                      An update on the guest list- as you can see from above, cjucoder is in, but l got a message from 
                                                      living4fnwi and she's out.

But, my sister is in.   

abe_froeman & Mr. Maki   2  
                                                      Buddy and Mrs. Roadhouse   2  
                                                      Gyp   1  
                                                      MilwFoodlovers   1  
                                                      quijote   1  
                                                      X1   1  
                                                      ScreamingChicken   3  
                                                      irisarbor   5  
                                                      stricken_detective   1  
                                                      ann peeples   1  
                                                      cubbie   1   
                                                      AlyceinRoadfoodland   1 
                                                      cjucoder 1
                                                      A couple of my friends   2 

The other Roadhouse heiress   1

So, 24 right now.

And as of 10:39pm CST, five ducks, one pig.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
                                                        • Location: Milwaukee, WI
                                                        Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Wed, 02/22/12 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                                        MilwFoodlovers 2

irisarbor

• Total Posts: 603
                                                          • Location: Deerfield, IL
                                                          Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Wed, 02/22/12 11:00 AM (permalink)
                                                          Is start time still 1PM?

abe_froeman

• Location: Chicago, IL
                                                            Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! Wed, 02/22/12 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                                            Got the addition, MFL!

Yes, 1:00pm, iris!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 6 of 9, messages 151 to 180 of 241

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com