The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak

Author
brentk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
2005/01/07 08:44:51 (permalink)

The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak

I haven't lived in Philly for over 20 years, but today's photo of Pat's cheese steak reminds me of why I always thought Pat's was waaay over-rated.

The meat looks tough and dried out, the onions undercooked, and the cheese wiz is poorly distributed over the sandwich.

When I lived in Philly, there was a great debate about whether cheese wiz should be used at all on cheese steaks. My preference was for cheese steaks made with real cheese that was melted over the meat and onions on the grill. I never liked cheese wiz on crackers, let alone on a cheese steak.

I'm a Mama's fan myself. Almost everything about the way they prepare a cheese steak is different, but in my opinion, they take cheese steaks to a whole new level.

Fire away, Pat's fans.

17 Replies Related Threads

Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/07 09:13:59 (permalink)
    You won't hear me firing away. Of the biggies, I'm a Jim's guy. Don't like Pat's or Geno's much.
    Zina
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/07 09:15:12 (permalink)
    I've got to tell you, I SO agree with the above post! Never had one of these from Pat's but if this is the example, forget it! what a yucky looking mess!!!! I know that presentation should not matter much in hoagies, but this looks downright unappetizing!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2129
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/07 09:18:11 (permalink)
    Different strokes for different folks. The Roadfood team spent a day trying out 5 cheesesteak places (Pat's, Genos, Tony Lukes, Jim's, and Lorenzo's), and we pretty much all agreed Pat's was the best.
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/07 09:23:26 (permalink)
    I also agree. My very first experience with a cheese steak was here and I can still remember how unhappy I was. I did make the mistake of ordering mushrooms on mine and could not believe it when they put cold canned sliced mushrooms on top........it was really bad! My son and daughter in law like them but they have never met a cheesesteak that they did not like. When we were in Philly a couple of months ago, I sat in the car and waited while they had their Pat's cheese steak.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7891
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/07 09:33:42 (permalink)
    I went to Pat's in 2000 and was dissapointed, I too remember the meat being dry. I went to Steve's prince of Steaks in 2003 and was also dissapointed because there was hardly any meat in the Sandwich. I used to be a big Jim's fan, however when I went there back i 97, the bread was not nerely as crusty as it used to be and the size of the sandwich seemed smaller too. I believe the last time I was there before 97 was probably sometime in 92 (before I moved to Seattle).Recently, the best cheese steak I had was at Gaetano's in Mt Laurel NJ. I also remember having a really good cheesestake at a Sandwich Shop in the Mainline area (Rte 30 possibly in Wayne PA or the Surrounding area) back in 97 ( around the same time I went to Jim's)
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/07 10:07:19 (permalink)
    Brent,
    You will find that the on this past summer's Roadfood Cheesesteak tour, that the place that did not offer cheezwhiz on the sandwich (Dalessandro's) was voted the best of the day (even though it was not my personal favorite). See the results (and pictures) here:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3251&whichpage=5

There is another Philly tour planned in the spring--maybe you could join us. Contact tour leader CheeseWit for details.

Meowzart
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/07 10:20:15 (permalink)
    I'll agree with the comments about the cheese wiz. Personally I like mine with provolone which is probably ordered just as much as wiz at Pats. Pat's will lay on plenty of onions. Just ask. And at no extra charge; Geno's charges 50 cents. But the thing that is most perfect in this photo is that it clearly shows SLICES of steak, not a chopped up gloppy mess which is what you get at most places in Philly and at all of them in Baltimore.

I'm a Pat's guy and my order is always "provy wit extra".

Now let's see a photo of a cheesesteak hoagie from the White House in Atlantic City, which is the best on the planet.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/07 20:53:38 (permalink)
    Hi Gang!
    If there's one consistency about Pat's, it's that it's very inconsistent. You can have a great sandwich; meat isn't dry, great cheese, excellent fried onions, and then order another one ten minutes later and it's completely different.

I was there recently and had two very good sandwiches. I went to Geno's across the street and the sandwich was terrible. I'm not a Geno's fan at all. I prefer Steve's and have a couple of suburban favorites that we'll tour in the near future.

signman: You know how I feel about The White House in Atlantic City- Pretty much the way you do.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/07 21:40:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

Hi Gang!
    If there's one consistency about Pat's, it's that it's very inconsistent. You can have a great sandwich; meat isn't dry, great cheese, excellent fried onions, and then order another one ten minutes later and it's completely different.

I was there recently and had two very good sandwiches. I went to Geno's across the street and the sandwich was terrible. I'm not a Geno's fan at all. I prefer Steve's and have a couple of suburban favorites that we'll tour in the new future.

signman: You know how I feel about The White House in Atlantic City- Pretty much the way you do.

Cheesewit: You amaze me. You have two sandwiches across the street and walk over and get another. What a reservoir.

I sincerely wish you would attend our BBQ thing in Lexington, TN at Hays Smokehouse. You could show our big eaters a thing or two.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CheeseWit
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/07 22:29:29 (permalink)
    Hey what can I say? I love to eat. If the travel time to the Hays thing was half of what it is (15 hrs.), I'd be there. I really would enjoy being with all of you and partaking of the great food.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/07 22:29:35 (permalink)
    quote:

Hi Gang!

I was there recently and had two very good sandwiches. I went to Geno's across the street and the sandwich was terrible. I'm not a Geno's fan at all. I prefer Steve's and have a couple of suburban favorites that we'll tour in the near future.

Last time in Philly, I ate one cheesesteak at Jim's, one at Pat's and one at Geno's. The four of us participating in this experiment agreed that we couldn't tell the difference between Pat's and Geno's. I'm wondering if that comes back to inconsistency again....
    CheeseWit
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/07 22:46:58 (permalink)
    I've said this many times before: Pat's and Geno's (and even Jim's to an extent) are the tourist traps of cheesesteakdom. There are literally hundreds of cheesesteak shops in the Phila. area, and each of them have their own fans/lovers/supporters.

Pat's and Geno's are the two that most travel books, concierges, cab drivers, print media, and broadcast media tout as THE places for real Philly cheesesteaks. They are far from the BEST.
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/08 09:17:17 (permalink)
    Just looking at that picture wit the dry looking meat turns me off,and its not even chopped!CheeseWhiz?Never cared for it.Gimme me a Hoagie any day.
    ClawedLeMew
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/15 22:22:38 (permalink)
    quote:

I've said this many times before: Pat's and Geno's (and even Jim's to an extent) are the tourist traps of cheesesteakdom. There are literally hundreds of cheesesteak shops in the Phila. area, and each of them have their own fans/lovers/supporters.

Pat's and Geno's are the two that most travel books, concierges, cab drivers, print media, and broadcast media tout as THE places for real Philly cheesesteaks. They are far from the BEST.

That's right. There are local places all over the area that are considerably superior to the well known places. Ray's in Towamencin is a favorite of mine.

One other thing bugs me about cheesesteaks that I get outside of the Philly area. Here, you can order a steak with pizza sauce anywhere. Either as a "pizza steak" or a "cheesesteak with sauce". I always order them that way. Far better than putting ketchup on them.

But, when I go out of town this is never an option.
    ClawedLeMew
    Junior Burger
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/15 22:24:46 (permalink)
    And, I really don't like Cheez Whiz.

Provolone, or American, please.

ClawedLeMew
    Junior Burger
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/15 22:27:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

I'll agree with the comments about the cheese wiz. Personally I like mine with provolone which is probably ordered just as much as wiz at Pats. Pat's will lay on plenty of onions. Just ask. And at no extra charge; Geno's charges 50 cents. But the thing that is most perfect in this photo is that it clearly shows SLICES of steak, not a chopped up gloppy mess which is what you get at most places in Philly and at all of them in Baltimore.

I'm a Pat's guy and my order is always "provy wit extra".

Now let's see a photo of a cheesesteak hoagie from the White House in Atlantic City, which is the best on the planet.

And in my opinion it should be chopped up so it fuses well with the cheese, onions, mushrooms, and sauce.
    CheeseWit
    RE: The photo of Pat's Cheese Steak 2005/01/15 23:58:53 (permalink)
    Clawed, welcome!
    Everyone has their favorite cheesesteak and favorite style (chopped or slices, whiz or slices of whatever cheese you prefer, etc.), that's why I love cheesesteaks. There is variety to this simple sandwich.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1