The price of breakfast

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Acuff-12
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: The price of breakfast 2004/01/29 10:18:02 (permalink)
IN NYC, my wife got a $5.00 bowl of instant oatmeal. Definitly not Waffle House.
Matt
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3314
RE: The price of breakfast 2004/01/29 11:06:39 (permalink)
I love going out for breakfast. I don't have to shop, cook, or clean. That alone is worth the price of a good breakfast. When I'm in the budget mode, I'll eat a full breakfast for under $3 at Kewppe Lunch in Racine WI. When I want a superior breakfast, I'll cross the border for Walker Bros. aka The Original Pancake House in Highland Park,IL. I don't mind driving and spending the extra bucks for coffee with real cream, fresh squeezed orange juice, and an apple pancake with crispy bacon. I especially enjoyed the breakfast buffets in Germany while staying at hotels or private guest homes. The breakfast menu includes: paper thin cut meats, cheeses, breads, rolls, pastries, cereals, yogurts, fruits, juices, coffees, teas, and milks. All you want, as much as you want. This breakfast would get me through the day until dinner. Do these exist in the United States? Anything between Chicago and Milwaukee?
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: The price of breakfast 2004/01/29 13:08:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

Jellybeans, is there typical breakfast? like we have eggs, or cold cereal?

Um... because a lot of SE Asia was colonised by Europeans, a lot of us now just eat bread, boiled eggs and jams and cereal for breakfast during the week when we have to eat at home on the run.

However, during weekends, people eat all sorts for breakfast: noodles in different broths, curries, rice, steamed/baked sweetmeats made from coconut milk/palm sugar/cassava root (what we call tapioca)/sago (what you guys call tapioca)/glutinous rice flour/rice flour/ pandanus leaves/sweet potatoes etc etc, fried noodles, rice congee, dim sum, Indian breads etc etc.

The selection is endless: as I said--what we eat for breakfast is frequently what we eat for lunch and dinner too.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: The price of breakfast 2004/01/30 07:05:56 (permalink)
I don't much care what restaurants charge as long as they deliver what they promise. I want quality food, properly prepared, and served at the right temperature. Charge what you need to make a good living, but give me enough food so I don't leave hungry.

There's a place in my hometown that puts out decent breakfast, but to get enough to eat, I have to order extra food and by the time I'm done, it's around $10, before tax and tip. This, in a town where prices are cheap. At that place I do feel ripped off for what I get (the smallest eggs possible). I haven't had breakfast there in a while as I resent leaving the table with resentments.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: The price of breakfast 2005/09/17 22:22:36 (permalink)
I used to love going to Buck's in Woodside, CA when I lived in San Jose. A little pricey, but one of the best atmospheres for breakfast anywhere I've been. http://buckswoodside.com/
hjbyun
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 100
RE: The price of breakfast 2005/09/17 23:14:53 (permalink)
I don't eat out anymore for breakfast unless its dimsum or we are out of town? Why? For me, by the time we get the kids in the car, drive to a diner, get seated, it take about 45 minutes.

I can have a meal of waffles, eggs, bacon/susage or a meal of omelet, biscuit, bacon/susage, and hash brown on the table in 30 minutes. It far more relaxing if we just do it at home and we get a bit more peace and quite, control over the radio and a untouched sunday post. What can beat that?

I feel like bicuits in the morning, w/ egg. Yum.

V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: The price of breakfast 2005/09/18 15:47:07 (permalink)
In the south...Waffle House
Neesie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: The price of breakfast 2005/12/05 18:28:04 (permalink)
My teenage son & I were in San Francisco and I almost freaked when I saw that the cheapest slam at Denny's (on the Wharf) was $12.99 (no beverage, no tip). We went to Chinatown every morning after that, so many little diners competing for breakfast. Most offered $1.99 specials, everything in the Denny slam except no pancake but they did include coffee or orange juice. Good breakfast each time, but in each diner I did have to ask for my toast to be toasted, not limp.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: The price of breakfast 2005/12/05 18:37:10 (permalink)
At Hardee's you get two sausage and biscuits plus coffee for $3.15. I usually get 8 packages of jelly for free.

The biscuits themselves were worth the cost.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3752
RE: The price of breakfast 2005/12/05 18:38:43 (permalink)
I think breakfasts are overpriced too but isn't it fun to indulge in going out for breakfast? Eat enough and you can skip lunch. A diner that I go to charges about 7 bucks for a decent breakfast with coffee and no juice. If I am feeling poor I head for the dreaded Mickey D's and have coffee, juice and a sausage biscuit for under $3.50 with no tip. But I think that I am correct in saying that this is NOT Roadfood.
sunnyside up
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: The price of breakfast 2005/12/05 19:09:01 (permalink)
Two jumbo eggs (any style), two sausage patties, three strips of bacon, and a pile of home fries big enough to choke a horse, toast and coffee for $2.95 Love eating breakfast at the golf course!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: The price of breakfast 2005/12/05 19:16:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

I think breakfasts are overpriced too but isn't it fun to indulge in going out for breakfast? Eat enough and you can skip lunch. A diner that I go to charges about 7 bucks for a decent breakfast with coffee and no juice. If I am feeling poor I head for the dreaded Mickey D's and have coffee, juice and a sausage biscuit for under $3.50 with no tip. But I think that I am correct in saying that this is NOT Roadfood.

I kind of think your way about breakfast (and then skipping lunch). I also partake of Hardee's & McDee's from time to time for breakfast, but not that often. Too bad places like these don't serve breakfast menu 24/7. They would get a bit more business from me. I have heard that Bojangles does, BTW.
superwaitress
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: The price of breakfast 2006/02/26 18:56:52 (permalink)
You also have to think about this: if it is a 99cent breakfast it is prolly a smaller egg, less potatos and the cheeper bread. If you use the extra large eggs of course its going to cost more! You pay for what you get! I dont mind spending more for a better breakfast! I just hate paying for a "microwave" breakfast! I will pay $5.00 for real pancakes but if I pay $5.00 for a microwave pancakes I will be ticked!
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: The price of breakfast 2006/02/27 13:58:35 (permalink)
Hello All,
I am not a breakfast person normally, but I just took my mother down to Va. Beach and she needs
a breakfast before her meds so I partook of breakfast down there.
The hotel had a breakfast bar with everything you could imagine for $6.99.
I just order 1 egg, "home fries," and toast for $2.99. Could've have gotten 2 eggs and the other
things for 3.99. Add another dollar if you want ham or bacon with the eggs. The drink was extra.
The food was good, and they had a healthy offering of jams and butter.
I had asked for scrambled eggs, but got a fried egg. I sprinkled my own salt and pepper because
it was void of anything that might be harmful to those with sodium problems, which I think is
great and wise of the cook.
The service was great. I noticed that because there was a breakfast bar, they had less staff,
but our waiter was also very attentive to us because we were one of the few to order off the menu.
It also helps to be with a sweet-looking, elderly momma. haha
The funny thing was the "home fries" were the leftover slices and quarters of red potatoes that
had been served the night before. They were good, but...
The place was Angleo's by the Ocean.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1355
RE: The price of breakfast 2006/02/27 16:47:40 (permalink)
Fieldthistle,
Tell us more about your trip to VA Beach. Where did you eat? Was it good? Did your Mom have a good time?
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: The price of breakfast 2006/02/27 17:04:05 (permalink)
Hello All,
Thank you mbrookes.
Mom had a great time, but that is story in itself due that she is elderly and must walk with a cane, etc.
I will try to figure out where to open a thread for it. It was a wonderful experience.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: The price of breakfast 2006/02/27 17:34:23 (permalink)
2 eggs, any style, 3 strips of bacon or 2 sausage patties/ham (deli sliced) served in half a pita is "LUBI'S" $2.99 breakfast "special". Cheese, tomato, onions, lettuce etc...no xtra charge
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: The price of breakfast 2006/02/27 18:57:12 (permalink)
I travel a lot. I'm not sure that is pertinent, except I get to see breakfasts of all sorts and in all sorts of places.

Here in Seattle, the popular places aren't places you could go everyday. People say go to Julia's, for example (I'm not) and you get there and they have a 4 egg omelette a pile of potatoes, etc. Geeez.

A good everyday breakfast is the goal. To me two eggs, a couple slice of sausage or bacon, not an overabundance of potatoes, a glass of milk and maybe a cup of coffee.

Too many places pile the food on an charge a fortune. Any RF place should be able to come up with what I described for 5 or 6 bucks. In the last month the feat has been accomplished at Jake's in Northampton, MA also at Kathy's Diner and The Better Tyme Deli there. It has been accomplished at The White Hut in West Springfield and at The Yankee Doodle in New Haven. All places have one person manning (er, personing) the grill and maybe someone to smile at customers. Maybe I'm learning the key is to keep it simple.

I agree and I don't with Courtyard fans. The breakfasts there are viable. I eat one or two in an average week. I don't expect to hear anybody reminiscing about the great CY home fries or the terrific CY biscuits and gravy ...

Meanwhile, on a semi-unrelated note, the free, self-serve waffles at most Fairfield Inns are very good. I don't put syrup on anything -- just butter, so I can't vouch for that.

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: The price of breakfast 2006/03/01 15:55:38 (permalink)
I had a customer w/ me at the Hilton in Osaka Japan for a few weeks. I was a Hilton Diamond level member so I was on the top floors and my fantastic breakfast was a freebie. The last day he wanted a traditional Japanese breakfast (he'd gone native in two weeks) so I met him in the lobby and took him to the Japaenese restaurant in the Hilton.

Set breakfast was about $35 w/o drinks. He ordered OJ ($9) and proceeded to ask for another glass (an additional $9) before we left. Two b'fasts, two oj's and two coffees (I drank green tea which is included, only free refill in Japan) came to about $125 after the service charge was applied.

"John, your coffee and OJ were about thirty dollars so don't bitch about the replacement rolls for the cutter" Actually worked.

His company was raped and pillaged on his equipment cost so it was no big deal but just a good story to tell. The same trip got me the worst business travel story of 1998 on Rudy Maxa's The Savvy Traveler. Sixteen hours on the bullet train between Osaka and Nagoya (normally a forty five minute trip, missed my flight, almost got arrested).
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1076
RE: The price of breakfast 2006/03/01 16:59:33 (permalink)
I don't eat out for breakfast,usually eat at home.however sometimes at work we buy breakfast tacos at Bill Miller's or Taco Sensations.A sausage and refried bean taco is $1.29 and Carne Guisada taco is $1.50 at Bill Miller's.Also Taco Sensations,El Toro,Taco Cabana and other local joints serve breakfast plates too,with refried beans, eggs,potatoes,etc.for a few bucks.Taco Cabana even has for 10.00 a breakfast taco bag,think it has 6 to ten tacos,can't recall now how many's in it.
Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: The price of breakfast 2006/03/01 18:23:42 (permalink)
My breakfast place of choice is an old style diner crafted out of an old trolley car. I like the down home unpretentious atmosphere, fast friendly service and bargain prices.

Even this venerable establishment has raised its prices:

The Truckers Special consisting of 3 eggs any style, truly great home fries done to order, a wide choice of breakfast meats, large stack of toast and an endless stream of free coffee refills which used cost $5 is now $5.15.

Am I complaining? Not at all, I still consider it one of the greatest values in my area for a good cheap breakfast.

Oh, the name of the place? Inga's Diner, 39 Fuller Road, Colonie, NY. Open for breakfast and lunch only, closed Sundays.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1