The "Greatest Storm"

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2006/02/12 19:44:51 (permalink)

The "Greatest Storm"

I'm sitting here this evening in Manhattan NY after a (to me) moderate snowfall last night. However, the news is saying it is the Biggest Snowstorm NY has ever had in (recorded) history! That is, 27" in Central Park.

Did I "miss it?" I remember being a lil' kid in Brooklyn when we had "Rilly Big" snowstorms, drifts 'n' all. (Of course I was also 3' tall then!)

So, my questions are, in no particular order:
1. Did anyone else on the East Coast think yesterday/today was The Big Storm?
2. What was the Biggest Snowstorm you ever experienced, East Coast, West Coast, In Between?
3. To keep it true-to-Roadfood, does everyone "hoard" food for the Big One? And what kind? (I know in Minnesota people keep food in their cars for Blizzard Conditions)

Thanx.

32 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/12 19:58:33 (permalink)
    It's awful! It's terrible! People are going to burn gas by the megazillion cubic feet to keep from freezing to death!!!!

Sorry, but after last week, some of my gas stocks need a helping hand.
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/12 20:15:18 (permalink)

Well, the official measurements are always taken in Central Park, so I have to assume that this record snowfall is just that--a record. In a way, I am disappointed that the previous record-holder, the storm of December, 1947, has been displaced as "the big one", since I was born in the aftermath of that storm.

My mother used to tell stories about how hard it was for her to climb over the massive snowbanks of that '47 storm in her pregnant condition. She also remembered that our doctor, who drove her to the hospital (yes, he actually transported her, in addition to making house calls), drove slowly through every red light on the way to the hospital, since stopping would have meant possibly getting bogged down.

My brother, who was 5 years old at the time, remembers that the few paths that had been dug through the snow were so deep that he could not see over the tops of them. I suspect that this is the type of memory that has influenced you also. I think that we have to assume that the people at the National Weather Service are being honest when they state that this one is the all-time record-holder.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4580
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/12 22:10:08 (permalink)
    Sorry, it was 60 and
    SUNNY today in Southern Oregon.
    Worst storm I remember in the midwest was the great storm of '77. It sucked.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 07:08:41 (permalink)
    Here in Boston we got about 20 inches there is an area in Japan that they would have concidered this just a dusting. Looking at the temps to go to the high 40s later this week we had that blizzard of 78 thing up here now that was a tuff one, hit us unprepared and at the wrong time, mid week rush hour. Since then the only food I really horde is Beer. As long as I got enough fire wood and coal to last about 3 to 4 days let it blow. Its 12 degrees where I'm at now, wood stove is at full tilt got a couple of good books and looking forward to a hot toddie later this afternoon. Might even read Whittiers poem Snowbound haven't read that in years now that was a snow storm. Chow Jim
    BearHit
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 08:05:51 (permalink)
    We got probably 10" at my place in South Jersey.

'Course with 30 mph gusts - I shoveled alot more than 10" worth.

We had more "quantity" a year ago - but without the wind.

Either way - My kids loved it - and I would have rather stayed indoors, I think.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13473
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 08:11:26 (permalink)
    I am glad it was in the northeast and not in TN. We had a dusting and that was all.

About ten years ago, we had a 24" snowfall. My drive way was very steep and I bought a Honda snow blower with tank like tractions that blows snow 75 feet. Best insurance I have ever bought. It hasn't snowed since.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 08:17:54 (permalink)
    The biggest storm I remember was in March of 1957, when it snowed for four straight days. We lost electricity and phones the first night and since nearly everyone in our neighborhood had electric baseboard heat or oil heat with electric starters, electric stoves and well pumps, we all ended up at one neighbor’s house who had coal heat and a wood burning stove in their basement. There were about 30 of us squished in there, one being a 2 year old with the measles. The 2nd day, the men had to dig tunnels to some of the houses to get food from them to feed all of us and the older kids had to keep going out to get snow to melt in pots on the stove and use to flush the toilet, do dishes, etc.

The 4th day, we got the phone service back. The 5th day, we called my uncle in the town and their electric had just gone on so our family walked 5 miles to his house, with me carrying my doll suitcase filled with steaks from the freezer. We returned home after about 2 more days and started to dig out. No school for 10 days and that was back when they hardly ever cancelled school for weather.

tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 10:04:59 (permalink)
    January 7th, 1996, was the big one in my life. That was when Western New Jersey received 33 inches of snow in some parts, including Randolph, where I lived at the time. Last year, after 39 years of living there, I sobered up and moved to New Mexico. I can't help but feeling a perverse joy while watching people annually deal with that crap, as I sit in my back yard in a cloudless 65 degree day, and ask the simple question: "Why?"
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 11:23:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tamandmik

January 7th, 1996, was the big one in my life. That was when Western New Jersey received 33 inches of snow in some parts, including Randolph, where I lived at the time. Last year, after 39 years of living there, I sobered up and moved to New Mexico. I can't help but feeling a perverse joy while watching people annually deal with that crap, as I sit in my back yard in a cloudless 65 degree day, and ask the simple question: "Why?"
    Simple! The hot toddies Chow Jim
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 12:55:51 (permalink)
    I have two of them; March of '93 here in Mountain Top; I think it was 35", one storm of 18" followed by one the next day of 17". And in '77 in South Bend, it was something like 45" over 2 days.

The Indiana one was worse, because it was in January and in the days afterward the temps fell below zero, and I was poor and couldn't afford to miss work.

Tom

octopus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 15:57:42 (permalink)
    What was totally weird about this storm while dumping 2 feet on NYC, upstate at Albany Airport officially registered 0.7 inches of snow. I was happy with that outcome,we have had so many bad storms I can not remember them all. Christmas 2002 we got more than 3 feet in a 36 hour period 2 storms hit back to back then a week later we got another 20 inches. that was pretty bad. I still drove to my sisters house Chrismas Day and the airport never closed. But Of course Albany International has not completely closed it's doors in more than 25 years.. I think that Southwest managed to take off a land a few planes that day.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1960
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 16:13:45 (permalink)
    We got 18 inches. It came on a Sunday with plenty of warning. Unless you had to catch a flight, it was a non event. The movie rental stores all did a great business on Saturday.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 19:41:58 (permalink)
    Freeport, Maine...6"
    Whoop de doo...
    Light powdery stuff that I used a broom to sweep a path for my dog to go P**..
    (he is a tiny thing..LOL)
    But in 2 weeks, I wont have to worry about it anymore!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 19:53:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

Freeport, Maine...6"
    Whoop de doo...

You wouldn't say that if you'd ever been in a Carolina ice storm. They are nastier than snow of any amount IMHO.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 20:43:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

Freeport, Maine...6"
    Whoop de doo...

You wouldn't say that if you'd ever been in a Carolina ice storm. They are nastier than snow of any amount IMHO.

Gee, BT, burst my bubble!
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
    (and I do respect your opinion)
    We need a "smiley" with tears....
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 21:08:21 (permalink)
    OK, OK now there seems to be a controversy about the "Biggest Snowstorm in NYC" (since like 1870 or so). For starters, the measurements are always taken in Central Park. Yesterday's storm was apparently very wet and dried up quickly on the streets (in fact, today, Monday, in Manhattan is just slush and puddles), but the snow in Central Park fell on grass and sort of got higher somehow. So I guess it was the "Biggest Snowstorm Everin Central Park!"

Still, we are underwhelmend!
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 591
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/13 22:25:45 (permalink)
    I agree that ice is worse than snow! This transplanted southerner will venture out in the snow, but my life isn't worth going out in another ice storm.
    After the salt truck spun out in front of me, that was IT for ice!!!!
    (thankfully, no one was hurt!)
    Alice
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/14 11:11:27 (permalink)
    Let's see, we had 21 inches here in the NW suburb of Baltimore on this and it's more an inconvience. Having lived in IL-IA-MI I'm used to it. Valentine's day of 2004 we had 24 inches.

Biggest storm that I remember was the '78-'79 in the Quad Cities area (IL-IA). We had 2-18 inch snowfalls within a week of each other. The Jan '79 blizzard was so bad that the State shut down I-80 and had to rescue folks off of the interstate with snowmobiles. The drifts of 30+ inches of snow that had fallen along with 20-30mph winds were enough for them to just plow the exits closed and keep folks from travelling. Then to add a thrill the temps dropped to the -20's.

It gets so to be hilarious here in Baltimore when they forecast two to three inches of snow, Schools are cancelled in anticpation. The run on the supermarkets is hilarious.

The 5 essentials are sold out almost immediately.
    1. Beer
    2. Toilet Paper
    3. Pop/Soda/Coke
    4. Chips
    5. Bread

These 5 seem to be universal at least on the southern end VA-NC-TX when any kind of snow storm has been predicted when I've witnessed those in my travels.

Although when I lived in Hawaii in the 60-70's, whenever there was a longshoremen strike the runs would be on Rice, Toilet Paper and other items that were shipped over to the Islands. But also back in those days there weren't any live events on the TV, everything coming over a week later via plane. Except that the '69 Moon Walk was live.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/14 11:39:07 (permalink)
    Ice is definitely much worse than snow. I have lived in upstate NY all my life, and I don't remember having severe power outages caused by snow storms. Well, maybe a short term power failure of a few hours if somebody took out a power pole due to nasty driving conditions.

We had two ice storms in Rochester, the first about 12 years ago where I was without power for 5 days, and many waited almost two weeks before it was restored.

The worst snow fall I remember was between Christmas and New Year of 1968 when I was a junior in high school. That blizzard went on for three days, and while I don't know the "official" snow fall, we accumulated about 4 feet of snow with drifts over 10 feet tall. The city had get the governor to call out the National Guard engineering battalion with their heavy earth moviing equipment to help clear the streest. Regular plows couldn't touch the stuff. My friends and I were very upset at Mother Natures timing in placing such a severe storm when we were already out of school for Christmas break.

I experienced a similar storm in Rochester during my sophmore year at RIT in 1972. It started snowing early Friday AM, and most schools and businesses were closing early due to the accumulation. It kept snowing until Sunday, and I remember seeing about 4 feet of snow at the least. Across the famous 1/4 mile walk between dorms and the campus, there are lights which had large white globes on top of 9 foot high poles. The snow was touching the bottom of some globes, and others were just peaking out from the drifts.

This blizzard was nothing by comparison.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/14 19:43:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Beer&Snausages

Let's see, we had 21 inches here in the NW suburb of Baltimore on this and it's more an inconvience. Having lived in IL-IA-MI I'm used to it. Valentine's day of 2004 we had 24 inches.

Biggest storm that I remember was the '78-'79 in the Quad Cities area (IL-IA). We had 2-18 inch snowfalls within a week of each other. The Jan '79 blizzard was so bad that the State shut down I-80 and had to rescue folks off of the interstate with snowmobiles. The drifts of 30+ inches of snow that had fallen along with 20-30mph winds were enough for them to just plow the exits closed and keep folks from travelling. Then to add a thrill the temps dropped to the -20's.

It gets so to be hilarious here in Baltimore when they forecast two to three inches of snow, Schools are cancelled in anticpation. The run on the supermarkets is hilarious.

The 5 essentials are sold out almost immediately.
    1. Beer
    2. Toilet Paper
    3. Pop/Soda/Coke
    4. Chips
    5. Bread

These 5 seem to be universal at least on the southern end VA-NC-TX when any kind of snow storm has been predicted when I've witnessed those in my travels.

Although when I lived in Hawaii in the 60-70's, whenever there was a longshoremen strike the runs would be on Rice, Toilet Paper and other items that were shipped over to the Islands. But also back in those days there weren't any live events on the TV, everything coming over a week later via plane. Except that the '69 Moon Walk was live.

In Florida, I recall the parking lot's at the liqour stores are just as full as the ones at the grocery and hardware stores also, when a hurricane is on its way. And, you have to force people to leave the bars so that the help can take care of their own homes.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/15 10:32:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

I'm sitting here this evening in Manhattan NY after a (to me) moderate snowfall last night. However, the news is saying it is the Biggest Snowstorm NY has ever had in (recorded) history! That is, 27" in Central Park.

Did I "miss it?" I remember being a lil' kid in Brooklyn when we had "Rilly Big" snowstorms, drifts 'n' all. (Of course I was also 3' tall then!)

So, my questions are, in no particular order:
    1. Did anyone else on the East Coast think yesterday/today was The Big Storm?
    2. What was the Biggest Snowstorm you ever experienced, East Coast, West Coast, In Between?
    3. To keep it true-to-Roadfood, does everyone "hoard" food for the Big One? And what kind? (I know in Minnesota people keep food in their cars for Blizzard Conditions)

Thanx.

In DC, they measure snow fall in the area at National Airport, which usually tends to get less snow than DC, MD suburbs and westernFairfax and Loudon counties.
    However, this is the first time in DC that the airport got more snow than at my house.
    National Airport -12"
    my house - not even 8"

On the other hand, a couple of years ago, the Airport got hit with 18" in a blizzard, which was low compared to the over 2 feet that was dumped in my driveway.

so
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/15 10:47:59 (permalink)
    Snow is what happens to rain when you live too far north...right. Sixty here in NC today. Have a nice day.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/15 13:22:49 (permalink)
    The problem with "records" is they reflect only where the measurement is taken, i.e "central park nyc" Our local OFFICIAL site is Jacksonville International Airport (JIA) whih is around 20 miles N.E. as the crow flies from me and across the river. JIA may record no or little rainfall while my yard is flooding, the "official" temp the other night was 23 degrees but here it was 30 and the beaches (about 10 miles east) was 33..
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/15 13:52:59 (permalink)
    You know, I wonder why no one is comparing this with the historical Great Blizzard of March 1888? I mean, NYC set a record last week, but was it more snow than this?

"The days leading up to the blizzard were unseasonably mild, with temperatures in the 40s and 50s along the East Coast. Torrential rains began falling, and on March 12th the rain changed to heavy snow, temperatures plunged, and a ferocious wind began. The storm continued unabated for the next 36 hours. Sources vary, but National Weather service estimated that fifty inches of snow fell in Connecticut and Massachusetts and forty inches covered New York and New Jersey. Winds blew up to 48 miles an hour, creating snowdrifts forty to fifty feet high. The resulting transportation crisis led to the creation of the New York subway, approved in 1894 and begun in 1900."
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/15 15:18:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

Snow is what happens to rain when you live too far north...right. Sixty here in NC today. Have a nice day.
    Hey V960 just hit 61 here in Boston snow melting like crazy but it's going to be short lived single digits this weekend. Chow Jim
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/17 13:08:40 (permalink)
    Bush Fails To Prevent East Coast Blizzard Minorities Hit Hardest. by: Brian Williams NBC 02/12/06

As President Bush and his staff cowered in the White House, the snow continued to pile up on the many poor victims who could not afford to get out of town or to safety in Florida. Crucial supplies of blankets, hot cocoa, popcorn and dark rum - so essential to surviving the stress of any major snowstorm - lay in stores undelivered.
    "Where is the government? I need my sidewalk shoveled so I can get out to buy my danged lottery tickets!" said one D.C. resident from his living room. "Why are we wasting money in Iraq when we could be spending it here on me?" Progressive blogs blasted the President for his inaction. "We find the timing terribly suspicious - just as the Domestic Spying hearings kick into high gear, what happens? A major northeast Blizzard. Why now?" wrote one blogger.

Hearings into the Blizzards' effect on hearings are almost a certainty. Howard Dean has suggested he will call for an investigation once his new medications kick in and John Kerry took a break from the sporting activities of the glamorous super-rich in some exotic locale (random choice: Ice Sailing in Finland) to call for new legislation outlawing snowstorms. "The Republican Congress has dropped the ball once again. I have always been a staunch supporter of anti-snow legislation, except for certain locations where I ski. Snow has no business on our roads and the President and Congress knows that."
    Calls for impeachment over "SnowGate" as some are calling it already are mounting as deeply as the snow itself, and what will be discovered underneath will prove to have a truly chilling effect on the Republicans, as the inevitable thaw proceeds. Or something like that.

More breaking news......
    Al Sharpton wants an investigation as to why snow is ALWAYS white.

Cheney has stock in Tru-Value Hardware.
    Do you have any idea how many SNOW SHOVELS they sold today to the unsuspecting consumer?
    I demand to know why FEMA has been so late in reacting to this storm.
    THEY KNEW IT WAS COMING!
    And yet they failed to have crews in place to fix the electricity as soon as it went off. It just shows that Bush and the Republicans just don't care about the people in the N.E. The Senate needs to investigate this with administration people under oath.

I'll bet that the great junior senator from N.Y. has opened the doors of her home to all of the heatless poor of her neighborhood and is busy baking cookies for them while her husband applies body heat to the nearly frozen teen-aged girls.

dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/17 14:07:32 (permalink)
    FPC.... I was laughing so hard the dog came to the door and started barking.... made me laugh even harder... thanks for the cardiac boost!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/17 20:45:46 (permalink)
    Guess where (NO--not Turin, Italy):

It's Marin County, a San Francisco suburb (the county connected to SF by the Golden Gate Bridge). I guess it's now the West Coast's turn.
    unalaskawoman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: The "Greatest Storm" 2006/02/18 03:23:20 (permalink)
    We didn't have snow here this week, but on Monday we had sustained 90+ mph winds, combined with a lot - I mean A LOT - of rain. Because of all the snowfall over the previous 4 weeks, many of the normal drainage routes were blocked, and some people had flooded houses. There were also some pretty serious mudslides which took out some apartments and warehouses. Though there were some injuries, we were very, very fortunate that no one was seriously hurt. I've lived here for about 15 years, and while high wind is common (the Aleutian islands are, after all, "The Birthplace of the Wind"), I've never seen it like it was Monday - it was actually a little frightening. It was awesome - not in the sense of "cool," but awe-inspiring.

It's gusting 50+ now, but heck, that's nothing!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1