The stars at night are big & bright...

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 8
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10421
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/06 17:59:07 (permalink)
Thursday April 24 cont.

After napping at the hotel for a few hours, we drove to ChiTownDiner's hotel and met him in the parking lot. He drove us to our dinner destination in beautiful downtown Hutto, the Texan Cafe.

Did I say the last place had a great storefront? This one is even better.

Welcome to Texas!

Those horns hang over the entry way to what CTD referred as the Pie Room. Good description, because before any of us ordered our dinners, we all went in to check out the pie case.

Now THAT is a thing of beauty!

Thoughts of skipping regular food and just eating six slices of pie went though my head, but after seeing chicken & dumplings was the dinner special,

I quickly settled on that. I have had several bad experiences with C & D lately. It even got me thinking maybe I don't really like this dish that much. But this was the real thing!

Unmistakably homemade, these dumplings were perfect! Both the sweet potato fries and green beans were winners, too.

CTD, continuing his theme of trying to eat every chicken fried steak in Texas, (A noble task if I ever heard one!) went for the CFS.

He cut up generous portions for Johnny and I to try and we agreed it was just slightly inferior to the one the night before at Hoover's. Delicious sides of macaroni & cheese and creamed corn came with it.

I can't remember what Johnny originally ordered, but immediately after, he noticed the ham steak in a root beer sauce. I flagged down the waitress and asked if it was too late for him to switch. She literally ran back to the kitchen to change the order for us. Thank goodness she did, because I would have hated to have missed out on this.

Ham in root beer sauce? That is almost as good an idea as Pie Happy Hour!

Before we can get to dessert, I have to talk about ChiTownDiner as a dining companion. Despite the huge dinners we have coming and the promise of amazing pie awaiting us, he still orders TWO appetizers. CTD, you are my Roadfood hero! Here are the fried green tomatoes and the sausage platter.

Finally, it was time for dessert. Should I complain about the lack of variety being offered?

There were others that weren't even listed there, like CTD's Millionaire Pie. You can find a description and a photo in this thread.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27061&whichpage=1

Johnny went for the Black Forest Cake

while I went for the Peppermint Patty Pie.

The only regrets were they we couldn't have tried any more slices. Because we were all stuffed beyond belief. This wasn't the best food we ate on the trip, but by the time you combine the quality of the food, the friendliness of the staff and the dinner companions, this was my favorite meal of the vacation.

Here is CTD's official Roadfood review of the Texan Cafe

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=5624&RefID=547

Once back in Austin, we did some driving around, checking out SOCO. But we were way too full to stop at any cupcake or taco trucks. Johnny and I went back to the hotel, tired and full.

Much more to come.....
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/06 18:03:01 (permalink)
Definitely enjoying this report. I did Dallas after the Austin Roadfood Tour, and went to the Rangers game last Thursday. During one of the breaks between innings, I enjoyed a bouncing ball sing-a-long with great crowd participation (hand clapping at the proper times) of

The Stars at Night
Are Big and Bright
clap clap clap clap
Deep in the Heart of Texas

thru about 4 verses.

Thought about this great report the whole time I was singing and clapping.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/06 18:10:14 (permalink)
signman-
They also do the song during the seventh inning stretch at Astros games. It sure is a catchy tune!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8496
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/06 18:13:25 (permalink)
This whole report is phenomenol-thanks so much for the great photos and narration!!!
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/06 23:14:41 (permalink)
ROFL Howard & Mark Twain.

Endlessly good.... this report has a life of its own.

When the photos of creamed corn start making my mouth water, you know it's gotta be really truly dang good.
Thanks Cliff!
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/06 23:19:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

signman-
They also do the song during the seventh inning stretch at Astros games. It sure is a catchy tune!

I'm going to have to learn that Texas tune, in case I catch a ball game there next time !

About the only tune I know is "Meet the Met's", meet the Mets, step right up and greet the Mets, bring the kiddies, bring the crowd, guaranteed to have the time of your life, cause the Mets are really socking the ball, ....
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 02:45:03 (permalink)
OMG!!!

As if the mini pies from the Texas Pie Company were not enough, the food at the Texan Cafe looks absolutely wonderful!!! Amazing!!!

Buffetbuster, this was DEFINITELY worth waiting for!!

Thank you very, very much!!
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 07:53:51 (permalink)
BB, I tip my hat to you.

What a way to enjoy this Great Country.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 10:09:17 (permalink)
Friday April 25

The good news is that by this part of the trip, Johnny was feeling much better. The bad news.....now I was sick. I woke up Friday with a sore throat and headache. We just relaxed around the room until 9:30, when we checked out of our hotel and headed for Cafe Pacha for breakfast. Finding Cafe Pacha is easy, parking there is difficult. We drove around their small parking lot three times waiting for someone to leave. When someone finally did leave, another car beat us to the space. Sensing this wasn't meant to be, we left and headed for Joe's Bakery.

As you can see from the photo, this is a Mexican restaurant, with wonderful looking baked goods in cases up front. Once we were sat, we noticed the crowd was almost all Latino, which we took as a great sign. Unfortunately, the food was a disappointent.

Johnny was not happy with his migas,

saying it was too cheesy, which is surprising since he loves cheese. My huevos rancheros wasn't much better.

But truthfully, with the way I was feeling, I doubt anything would have tasted good at this point. The one thing we both did like was our tacos. Here is Johnny's, which I believe was Carne Guisada.

As good as all the bakery items looked, we passed, which in retrospect, was a mistake.

http://www.joesbakery.com/

As we drove back into downtown and the University of Texas bookstore, I received a call from signman saying that his plane had landed and he was headed for where we planned on having lunch. We also heard from ChiTownDiner, who after a several hour delay, had picked up his crew and were on their way to meet us, too. So Johnny and I turned around and headed out for another meal.

Much more to come.....
oscar5933
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 10:09:40 (permalink)
There are cupcake trucks in Texas? I would love to see a photo of that

Great trip report as always, I always look forward to reading your reviews.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 11:02:29 (permalink)
oscar5933-
There is indeed a cupcake truck in South Austin that ChiTownDiner pointed out to us. Since he ate there and we did not, hopefully he will chime in here with more info. But I understand what you are thinking.....doesn't sound like something you would expect to see in Texas.

No pics, unfortunately.
minilops
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 12:26:18 (permalink)
Yesterday I was in Austin for a concert and noticed a cupcake cart on S. Congress across from Guerro's. I don't remember the name of the cart, but it sits in the corner of a parking lot. I don't think you can miss it. By the way, we ate dinner at Iron Works BBQ and it was great. We sat outside on the patio and enjoyed brisket, chicken and beef ribs. My husband said the beef ribs were as good as Louis Mueller's!

Allison
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 12:47:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by minilops

Yesterday I was in Austin for a concert and noticed a cupcake cart on S. Congress across from Guerro's. I don't remember the name of the cart, but it sits in the corner of a parking lot. I don't think you can miss it. By the way, we ate dinner at Iron Works BBQ and it was great. We sat outside on the patio and enjoyed brisket, chicken and beef ribs. My husband said the beef ribs were as good as Louis Mueller's!

Allison

How I miss that cupcake cart??!?...and I was right across the street from Guerro's (getting an belgian chocolate ice cream cone from Amy's) ...

Now it sounds like I have to try those beef ribs from the Iron works...appreicate the good post, Allison!
minilops
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 13:36:19 (permalink)
Thanks Ellen! I have to say I really enjoy reading all of your trip reports. I love Amy's ice cream too. I think I had the Belgian chocolate the last time I was there. We go to Austin at least twice a month for concerts and more importantly to try a new restaurant each time.
Allison
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 14:03:48 (permalink)
quote:

oscar5933-
There is indeed a cupcake truck in South Austin that ChiTownDiner pointed out to us. Since he ate there and we did not, hopefully he will chime in here with more info. But I understand what you are thinking.....doesn't sound like something you would expect to see in Texas.

No pics, unfortunately.

Here's the trip report link...
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27061

and here's the direct link...
http://www.heycupcake.com/austin_cupcake_menu.htm

It was pretty cool and doing some business. I drove by later on Friday night, around 9:40pm after their scheduled closing and there was still a line.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 15:34:18 (permalink)
Friday April 25 cont.

When we arrived at City Cafe in Elgin,

signman was just getting out of his car. I have long enjoyed signman's posts here on Roadfood and was happy for the opportunity to finally meet him. Soon, ChiTownDiner, his brother Kerry and his buddy Rick showed up. Considering CTD had a bag of kolaches waiting for them when they got off the plane AND they stopped at Sonic on the way, I was surprised that they were ready to eat again. But these boys from Chicago know how to take care of business!

We settled in the back room and started to look over the menu. No surprise, CTD went for the Chicken Fried Steak, which actually came with two patties.

This was perfect, since there were now six of us to share dishes with. Sides of black-eyed peas, fried okra and plenty of gravy completed the order.

Kerry ordered the sausage sandwich,

I had the hot roast beef sandwich,

while signman and Johnny both went for the buffet, so they could try as many vegetables as possible. I know that they were both disappointed that the catfish on the buffet was cold.

My vote for best dish at City Cafe was the smoked pork chops

ordered by Rick. As you can see, they also come in two patties. Juicy, with great pork flavor, this was a big hit!

Everyone went for dessert, except signman, who was saving some appetite for further explorations in the area. So you have five pies for six guys.

Clockwise from top left: coconut cream, apple, chocolate icebox (the consensus table favorite), cherry and banana cream. Here is a close up of the tall coconut cream.

The food at City Cafe was fine, but not in the class of some of the other meals we have eaten in the last few days. But, even though I had just met half of the people at lunch for the first time, all six of us got along like old friends. This is a good group of guys!

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=520&RefID=520

After lunch I was quite tired and feeling rundown. So we headed for the Sheraton and checked in.

Much more to come.....
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 19:22:10 (permalink)
Friday April 25 cont.

After napping for several hours and taking some aspirin, I was feeling much better for the Roadfood dinner at Threadgill's.

It was great seeing some old friends again and meeting some new people, too. Here is dinner.....Johnny had the chicken fried steak, along with grits and squash,

while I went for the bronzed chicken, with sides of creamed spinach and mashed potatoes.

I did not try any of the chicken fried steak, but I was very happy with my dish.

For dessert, Johnny's chocolate ice box pie,

was better than my banana pudding.

Comedian Bill Kirchenbauer, who is apparently a longtime fan of Roadfood and the Sterns, did some standup for us.

This was really nice, considering it was his anniversary! Besides his imitation of the Titanic, my favorite joke of his was, "Did you know that there are 20 cows for every person in the state of Texas? This must be really tough for the people who live in small apartments!" I love seeing stand up comedians and go to The Improv here in Pittsburgh often. So, I particularly enjoyed a chance to see someone I have watched on tv for years.

The Sterns had a small trivia quiz and here they are on stage, along with Stephen Rushmore handing out t-shirts to the winners.

One of the winners was new friend signman. Here is a very poor shot of him holding up his trophy.

I did walk around and take some photos of the Roadfooders in the crowd, but I am a much better food photographer than I am at shooting people. Here is at least one crowd shot.

I believe that is Roadfood moderator Larry - RibRater - Jay to the left on the end. Larry, I wish we had met!

By the time the dinner was over, I was quite tired and anxious to get back to the hotel. I do want to thank Jane Stern for letting me bum a couple of Advil off of her and CTD's buddy Rick for using his phone to keep me updated on the Penguins-Rangers playoff hockey game.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=69&RefID=69

As much as we would have loved to been a part of signman's neon tour of Austin, I needed to rest up for the big day on Saturday.

Johnny and I went back to the hotel and were sleeping by 10:30. Aren't we exciting people?

Much more to come.....
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 19:45:29 (permalink)
Saturday April 26

Finally, it was time for one of my favorite days of the year, the annual Roadfood bus tour. Unfortunately, there was a snafu from the beginning, when the bus we were supposed to have, broke down on the way. And the bus they sent to replace it, wasn't big enough to hold everyone. But the Roadfood.com brain trust handled the situation well and the Sterns split up onto different buses.

We were on the first bus with Michael Stern,

who explained the gameplan to everyone.

First stop, Round Rock Donuts!

MMMMMMMM, Donuts!!!!

Since Roadfooder supreme, mr. chips wasn't able to join us in Austin on this trip, I thought it would be fitting to wear my Portland State Vikings t-shirt.

How about this motley crew of Roadfooders?

That is ChiTownDiner, Ellen, signman, Rick F. and Stephen Rushmore licking his fingers. I think there needs to be a new Roadfood rule.....anyplace that makes you lick your fingers should qualify as Roadfood!

Now, we throw in Michael Stern and Bushie!

I think the smile says it all!

As near as I could tell, everyone was very happy with the donuts. I especially liked the hot glazed.

Stop #1 was a big success. Back on the bus, headed for barbecue!

More to come.....

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 20:32:43 (permalink)
Saturday April 26 cont.

Next stop.....Taylor, Texas, the home of Louie Mueller's!

The menu.

Cutting the brisket behind the counter.

Tray of ChiTownDiner & crew.

Brisket and sausage.

As spectaularly good as the smoke flavored brisket is, the incredibly juicy sausage is even better! And the ribs are not to be ignored, either.

Cole slaw

Louie Mueller's isn't very big and the Roadfooders filled the place up!

Roadfood veteran Rick F. and his wife Janet, from Louisiana.

I met them in Mobile in February and I am hoping to share a meal or two with them in Natchitoches later this year.

ChiTownDiner and his brother Kerry.

So, that is what I look like taking photos of my food!

Great atmosphere and even better food.....I love Louie Mueller's!

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=576&RefID=576

More to come.....
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 21:18:59 (permalink)
Hi Buffetbuster,
It's me, Ellen...

I love the way your brisket GLISTENS in Louis Muellers.

Well, it looks like we both got our Austin Roadfood pics going up on the same night tonight!!
I just posted my Round Rock Donut pics.. but you are ahead of me now with your brisket shots.

On the bright side, I got the "happy" version of Signman picking up his T-shirt prize.

And I've been working on mine for almost 2 hours already since I got home from work...! (and yet I'm just getting to the brisket now) All this pasting, posting, and re-sizing takes time.
hope there's room for both of us! (2 "juicy" threads on Austin ? Mine and yours?)

I'm tempted to just step out of the way, and just let you do your thing, Cliff!
As that's very impressive that you've gotten over 5000 people looking at your thread already!

I'll take a break for awhile and go for a speedwalk, and let everyone enjoy yours...
You've got some great food AND people pics!

--ellen--

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 21:27:31 (permalink)
Ellen - Don't stop now...can never have to much brisket!
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 21:33:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Ellen - Don't stop now...can never have to much brisket!

Thanks for the inspiration, ChiTownDiner!!
I did'nt realize Buffetbuster & I would both end up posting our Austin on the same night! Now that's what you call a "brisket doubleheader" !!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 21:40:54 (permalink)
Ellen-
That is kind of funny that we are both doing it on the same night! I'm done for the night (watching the Pirate game instead). I'll be checking yours out in a few minutes.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 21:53:53 (permalink)
quote:
One of the winners was new friend signman. Here is a very poor shot of him holding up his trophy.

And isn't that Ellen next to him??

Hey keep it up. Great report. From now on I am just reading, no more comments unless I have questions... you get a blanket "Excellent" for this.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 21:58:48 (permalink)
cecif-
Thanks again for the compliments! Yes, that is Ellen next to signman, but I knew I had better photos of her coming up.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 22:01:04 (permalink)
quote:

Ellen-
That is kind of funny that we are both doing it on the same night! I'm done for the night (watching the Pirate game instead). I'll be checking yours out in a few minutes.

I've got an off night...the Cub's played early today and really m ust have looked good to the Red's hitters...7 home runs against us! Give me Roadfood any day!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 22:07:49 (permalink)
quote:

Friday April 25

As you can see from the photo, this is a Mexican restaurant, with wonderful looking baked goods in cases up front. Once we were sat, we noticed the crowd was almost all Latino, which we took as a great sign. Unfortunately, the food was a disappointent.

I'm sorry y'all didn't like the food at Joe's. Personally, I LOVE the migas, huevos rancheros, and chorizo y huevos at Joe's. Plus, I think they serve the best coffee in Austin.

Everyone has a different palate, though. I'm impressed by the effort y'all put in your tour.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/07 22:13:40 (permalink)
Bushie-
Even though I did not like my huevos rancheros, I took a bite of my cousin's migas and liked that better. Maybe I should have asked if he wanted to switch. I'm sure that me not feeling well while I was there didn't help my appetite, either.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/08 06:03:43 (permalink)
Saturday April 26 cont.

On the bus, we sat across from a father/son team from Minneapolis. Young Holden was easily the most popular Roadfooder on the tour. Here he is checking out the new Roadfood book he has just been given.

I knew I liked him as soon as he told me the Penguins were going to win the Stanley Cup this year! Actually, I really loved his passion and enthusiasm for all things Roadfood.

Next stop on the barbecue tour was Southside Market in Elgin.

The menu board.

As you may know, the town's name of Elgin is synonymous with great sausage in central Texas. Here is the plate that Johnny bought for us to share,

with a close up of the brisket, ribs and sausage.

Bud Royer

of Royer's Round Top Cafe was there to provide us Roadfooders with an opportunity to try some of his pies.

I went for the cherry pie by itself, while Johnny had a plate that had a small piece of just about everything,

along with some vanilla ice cream on top.

After stuffing my face, I got up and checked out the meat market itself.

A few crowd shots.....

That is Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle along with Ellen, across from Rick F. and his wife Janet.

Andy from New Jersey across from Jane Stern

Who do you think ate more barbecue at Southside Market on this day.....the Roadfood army or the US Army?

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=578&RefID=578

Soon, it was time to get back on the bus for the next barbecue stop!

More to come.....

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: The stars at night are big & bright... 2008/05/08 07:25:57 (permalink)
Johnny - That pie plate picture may be my favorite of the trip!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1