The stars at night are big & bright...

Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Author
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
Re:The stars at night are big & bright... 2011/06/17 19:05:37 (permalink)
Just a little side note about Gene Autry. Don't know if this true, partly true or not true at all. Supposedly when Gene's horse died (Champion?) he was interested in having him stuffed aka mounted like Roy Rogers did with Trigger. When informed how much it would cost he reportedly said, Well just bury the sob then.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
Re:The stars at night are big & bright... 2011/06/18 00:54:42 (permalink)
ces1948
Just a little side note about Gene Autry. Don't know if this true, partly true or not true at all. Supposedly when Gene's horse died (Champion?) he was interested in having him stuffed aka mounted like Roy Rogers did with Trigger. When informed how much it would cost he reportedly said, Well just bury the sob then.

Autry had 3 horses named "Champion" plus some backups. His career lasted longer than his horses! Based on this report, I doubt Autry even considered stuffing old "Champ"!
http://www.b-westerns.com/hoss-ga.htm
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The stars at night are big & bright... 2011/06/18 00:58:41 (permalink)
mar52
I am staying in McKinney right now

What's a nice girl like you doing in McKinney TX???????????
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4209
Re:The stars at night are big & bright... 2011/06/18 09:40:52 (permalink)
Foodbme

mar52

Presently, she's "enjoying" some Arizona, Valley of the Sun-style, heat:  103 here today.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2011/06/18 09:42:59
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8084
Re:The stars at night are big & bright... 2011/06/18 10:59:53 (permalink)
First thing...  I am not nice.

Thanks for the recommendations.  It is hot here, but it doesn't bother me as much as the Los Angeles 80 degree heat.  Dry heat is so much better.

Visiting with family in McKinney.  We'll probably be here about 3 weeks using it as a base.  Going to drive to New Orleans and Branson, MO.

Traveling with 2 dogs makes some restaurant stops impossible.  I'll write about our eating adventures when I get home.

Went to McKinney Market Days yesterday to enjoy the heat.  Luckily there was a breeze to make it seem cooler.

Hutchins is going to be one of our dinners I believe.  Maybe we'll pick up a pizza when we visit The Square.

So far it was Chuy's for dinner which was okay.  We are also supposed to have lunch at Norma's Cafe in Plano.

Drove by the In 'n Out while we were exploring yesterday.

I like McKinney.   I can't believe how much retail is around here.  The housing reminds me of Palm Springs.... a whole bunch of planned neighborhoods.  We're staying near the intersections of Eldorado and Ridge.  Very nice homes here.

It's off to Denison today to visit with more family.

Thanks for the tips!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The stars at night are big & bright... 2011/06/18 12:01:11 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Foodbme

mar52

Presently, she's "enjoying" some Arizona, Valley of the Sun-style, heat:  103 here today.

109 here yesterday, more of same today! After it gets 100, it doesn't matter after that---It's hot!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The stars at night are big & bright... 2011/06/20 10:41:03 (permalink)
mar52

I like McKinney.   I can't believe how much retail is around here.  The housing reminds me of Palm Springs.... a whole bunch of planned neighborhoods.  We're staying near the intersections of Eldorado and Ridge.  Very nice homes here.

Yes, the housing in McKinney is both planned and plush - the big difference between us and Palm Springs (aside from the fact that we have trees and grass lawns!) is that what costs $900,000 in Palm Springs you can get in McKinney for $250,000 all day long.  And what do we spend those housing savings on?

RETAIL!  If you think McKinney has retail, take the short trip west on Eldorado and turn left on Preston Rd.  The next six miles seemingly has two each of every "big box" conceived by the mind of man and a Sun Coast Plaza-scale "super mall". 

Comprising less than 10% of the DFW "Metroplex", the 600,000 citizens of Plano-McKinney-Frisco-Allen has to lead the world in retail sq. feet and restaurant seats per capita.  Our favorite saying:  "What recession?".
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8084
Re:The stars at night are big & bright... 2011/06/20 11:15:01 (permalink)
We drove around McKinney yesterday starting with breakfast at Bob Smith's.  Maybe his name is Bill.. I'll post pictures when I get home.

The retail is remarkable!

The housing in Palm Springs has taken a dive.  It's more realistic now.  A home that cost $429,000  about 5 - 6 years ago skyrocketed up in to the $700,000's and now can be had in the high $300,000's.

Saw Hutchin's yesterday and we'll probably do the drive-through and eat it at home.
I'm having fun in your supermarkets.

I realize that Tom Thumb is Safeway but it's still different.  Market Street had me coming back for more because I found the clearance table upstairs!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The stars at night are big & bright... 2011/06/21 07:55:25 (permalink)
It is Bill Smith's.  I hope you had cash; otherwise, Bill nicks you for a $3.00 ATM fee - just like Joe T. Garcia's over in Ft. Worth.

I'd eat in at Hutchin's, otherwise you won't get your "free" banana puddin' w/ Nilla Vanillas.  BTW:  even though the 'hood there is not shiny and new, it is perfectly safe.  As you may have heard, crime is punished here in Texas:  surely, swiftly, and harshly.  That is why we have relatively few "incidents".

Even though we live near Eldorado CC, only about 0.3 miles east of Tom Thumb, we much prefer Market Street, which to us coming from McLean, VA is like a "mini-Wegman's".  One of the "cool" things about living here is that there is a definite "small town vibe", yet within 5 miles there are 12 groceries, three hospitals, 126 golf holes, 40 movie screens, two each of Home Depot & Lowe's, etc.  But, it is 10 miles to the nearest Nordstrom and 15 to Neiman's and Saks ...
Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1