The truth about Merriments! finally!!

Author
Bun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2007/02/03 17:41:14 (permalink)

The truth about Merriments! finally!!

Dear Merrimint lovers!
My family manufactured THE MERRIMINTS you indicated you adored and were searching all over the country for.....and I wanted to tell you what has become of them.

In 1968, the Sara Lee Corporation bought our family business, and kept on manufacturing these pastel colored mints, with the wonderful, different flavors (in addition to other products). In 1972, those family members who were still working for the Sara Lee Corp. in the division handling the candy end of the biz, all left, and not many years later, Sara Lee sold the Delson Candy part of their business---to whom, I am not sure.

Many, many people have contacted us in the hopes of finding them, or something like them, but sadly, there is nothing out there like them.
I wish there was!!

Our chocolate covered peppermints were wonderful too.

Thanks for all your great forum postings about Delson's merrimints.
Elizabeth Schaper

11 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13510
    RE: The truth about Merriments! finally!! 2007/02/03 18:29:43 (permalink)
    Why don't you start making them again?? Everyone knows that huge company green shades always downgrade the product and it is never the same.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: The truth about Merriments! finally!! 2007/02/04 15:34:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Why don't you start making them again?? Everyone knows that huge company green shades always downgrade the product and it is never the same.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I think that the obvious answer to that question is that the originators of the candy sold the rights to the recipe/formula and the rights to everything else connected with the product to Sara Lee, which later sold it to another entity. For the originators to sell this product again would likely expose them to copyright infringment and/or other legal action from the current owner.
    Bun
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: The truth about Merriments! finally!! 2007/02/05 11:02:09 (permalink)
    To Tedbear: When a company is sold, as our family business was, the Delson Candy Company, obviously all rights to the manufacturing of our products went along with that sale. We therefore could never sell the company, nor any of its products again. Once is enough, as they say! Much as we might like to bring the products back, it is a massive undertaking, with the necessary equipment needed for the actual production of not only the product but the packaging and labeling of the product.....and is not so simple these days. Each box was hand-packed in those days....so there are alot of issues that go into making one box of candy. I wish they were still all around, believe me, and I tried to buy the company back from Sara Lee---and I tried to buy Mark Cross from Sara Lee---another fine label---but Sara Lee Corp. is interested in their bottom line only. So there are a lot of issues that do not meet the eye that go on behind the scenes which I can not get into in a public forum. Forgive me--I wish I could. All the best and I wish for everyone who loves these mints to be able to find a good substitute!All the best, Elizabeth Schaper
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: The truth about Merriments! finally!! 2007/02/05 12:31:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bun

To Tedbear: When a company is sold, as our family business was, the Delson Candy Company, obviously all rights to the manufacturing of our products went along with that sale. We therefore could never sell the company, nor any of its products again. Once is enough, as they say! Much as we might like to bring the products back, it is a massive undertaking, with the necessary equipment needed for the actual production of not only the product but the packaging and labeling of the product.....and is not so simple these days. Each box was hand-packed in those days....so there are alot of issues that go into making one box of candy. I wish they were still all around, believe me, and I tried to buy the company back from Sara Lee---and I tried to buy Mark Cross from Sara Lee---another fine label---but Sara Lee Corp. is interested in their bottom line only. So there are a lot of issues that do not meet the eye that go on behind the scenes which I can not get into in a public forum. Forgive me--I wish I could. All the best and I wish for everyone who loves these mints to be able to find a good substitute!All the best, Elizabeth Schaper

Elizabeth--Thank you for confirming what I had surmised and had stated. It was actually Sundancer who thought that you could start manufacturing your product again without legal problems.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: The truth about Merriments! finally!! 2007/02/05 13:27:58 (permalink)
    Elizabeth, and all: one of the beauties of the internet is that information previously unavailable can sometimes be found. I don't know how you found RoadFood, but I'm very glad you did. Please stay with us. I'm sure you'll be an invaluable resource, and am equally sure that you'll find information and entertainment in abundance. And—who knows?—maybe companionship as well, as have many of us here.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: The truth about Merriments! finally!! 2007/02/08 23:47:38 (permalink)
    Now Hear This: The Vermont Country Store says of[url='http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=31398&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=38&iSubCat=179&iProductID=31398']these,[/url] "Everything from the crystal-to-creamy melt-in-your-mouth texture and sweet, refreshing flavors to the ridges on one side are exactly the same."
    BattGirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: The truth about Merriments! finally!! 2007/11/22 09:27:22 (permalink)
    I ordered the Vermont Country Store mints last year because my mother was nostalgic for MerriMints. She was pleased and thought they were close, but no MerriMints.

After finding this forum I sent my husband an hour out of his way on his way back from a business trip in PA so we could try Daffin's version.

My mother is THRILLED. Though I have no memory of MerriMints my mother said the taste is SPOT ON. She told my husband there will be something extra in his stocking this year for coming through with these.

Try Daffin's-- they really are the next best thing to the original at a fraction of the price.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    RE: The truth about Merriments! finally!! 2007/11/22 09:35:36 (permalink)
    BattGirl-
    I have driven past Daffin's many times, but have never stopped in. I will make a point to do that the next time I am in Sharon to try the mints. They must be really good.

leighgillis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: The truth about Merriments! finally!! 2008/11/24 17:38:40 (permalink)
    Aren't Daffin's the ones that are kinda shaped like kisses? I tried those and the taste was OK but the shape and texture didn't quite have the "crisp" but melty taste of Delsons. Am gonna tyr the vermont ones, but the price is highway robbery!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4120
    RE: The truth about Merriments! finally!! 2008/11/25 08:33:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bun

Dear Merrimint lovers!
    My family manufactured THE MERRIMINTS you indicated you adored and were searching all over the country for.....and I wanted to tell you what has become of them.

In 1968, the Sara Lee Corporation bought our family business, and kept on manufacturing these pastel colored mints, with the wonderful, different flavors (in addition to other products). In 1972, those family members who were still working for the Sara Lee Corp. in the division handling the candy end of the biz, all left, and not many years later, Sara Lee sold the Delson Candy part of their business---to whom, I am not sure.

Many, many people have contacted us in the hopes of finding them, or something like them, but sadly, there is nothing out there like them.
    I wish there was!!

Our chocolate covered peppermints were wonderful too.

Thanks for all your great forum postings about Delson's merrimints.
    Elizabeth Schaper

Your family's Merrimints and Thin Mints were staples in my grandmother's house. What tasty treats they were! The closest thing to the Merrimints I have found since are pastels at Fauchon.
    Ljbud44
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: The truth about Merriments! finally!! 2014/06/10 21:06:26 (permalink)
    I realize this thread is many years old...however for all you Merriment lover's out there go to Olivers Candies www.oliverscandies.com. You will find the closest thing to these next to the original. Like you it took me years to find these.  I promise you won't be disappointed!
    Another great nostalgia candy you might remember are the French Creams...they have those too...YUM!! Enjoy~

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1