The two places that best represent your town

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 10
Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 01:17:45 (permalink)
In Grand Rapids, my thoughts are that Applebees, McD's and Taco Hell rule.

The above is not my personal opinion, considering I fully support the mom and pop stops.. But when I question my freinds, thats their typical response. They'd rather have a dinner at Applebees, then the Cantina or Little Mexico.. A burger from McD's then from Lena Lous... It's been 8 years since I've lived up in Cedar Springs, but Kelly's used to rule up there. Now they have McD's, Arbys, Burger King, and probably a subway by now.. (Kelly's dont serve alcohol, but they encourage you to bring your own if you desire)..

So I guess Fast Food or Chain would answer my cities representation...

felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3431
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 03:24:29 (permalink)
Comstock Park is pretty small, but we do have a couple of places.

Mill Creek Tavern is part of a small local "chain" of similar, yet different, bar/restaurants. Great food, excellent homemade potato chips, and decent pricing. Also, the building they're in was one of the original bars when the town started, that they've restored (only changes are indoor plumbing and electricity ).

The other one would have to be Nick Fink's. It's also a bar, in the same building under the same name as when it was started before the town was actually in existence. The upstairs is now apartments, but it used to be the *ahem* "entertainment" portion of the saloon back in the day. The food is actually halfway decent, considering it's one of those places you walk into and think they've not cleaned anything or changed the decor since God was a boy.

The reason these are representative is that my town was formed purely because inside the city limits gambling, alcohol, and prostitution were banned, so they just went a li'l bit north on the river for all that.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15175
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 08:23:09 (permalink)
I deleted the off topic posts from several people. My suggestion is that if someone does a flame comment please report it to the moderators. Give us a little time to catch up on the posts without having to deal with a bunch of back and forth hassle.

1. we will look into it and delete if needed.

2. it will help cut off a string of "oh Yeah"..."Yeah" comments that highjack the thread. Stick to the topic Please.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 08:28:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

BT -

Can the public still get tickets to the California Culinary Academy's dinners? I went to one years ago and the food was outstanding. I've been to their website but there was no mention of dinners being open to the public. Thanks for any info.

The place they serve dinner to the public is called the Careme Room: http://www.sallys-place.com/food/dining_directory/north_america/sf/careme_room.htm At lunch, they have another spot--a "grill" with an entrance around the corner on Turk St. I think it's open for lunch daily.

That's it! Thanks, BT. I've been hoping to get there again one day.
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1685
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 10:31:49 (permalink)
quote:
Al-The Mayor-Bowen Posted - 02/10/2006 : 08:23:09
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I deleted the off topic posts from several people.

Thanks for your monitorship Mr. Mayor . This makes for a more pleasant trip down the lane of Roadfood .com
One of your deletions was a cartoon of mine and I have no problem with your action As a mater of fact I was on my way this morning to remove it myself. I have no apologies because my intentions here was only humor. But as my wife so often tells me "Frank, your not funny"
Keep up the good work we need what you and Sundance do to keep this forum on the road......... Frank
rjb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 451
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 10:55:18 (permalink)
New York City:

Peter Luger's or the original Palm
The Oyster Bar (Grand Central)
Katz's Deli
tjr
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 136
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 17:38:14 (permalink)
Mr. Hoffman, interesting notes on Columbus. I've heard more or less the same before, that it's both home to Wendy's and a popular test market area for other chains because everybody eats chain food. And on several visits, other than the sandwich place in German Village and the state fair we've not been terribly impressed.

Of course in a similar vein in Louisville we've got the HQ of Tumbleweed, Texas Roadhouse, and of course YUM, all of which are pretty popular here, but with the exception of KFC they have very little to do with Kentucky.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4534
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 17:41:27 (permalink)
Here, and I thought Louisville was all about Papa John's :-)
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1178
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 17:47:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pcdiva

Ann Arbor, MI - Zingerman's Deli and The Blue Nile. Mile high sandwiches in a funky little shop with a great mail order business as well at Zingerman's. Or you can sit on the floor sharing communal plates of African/Moroccan cuisine at the Blue Nile (vegitarian or carnivore)! That's us!

A friend of mine gave me a gift certificate for Zingerman's for Christmas. I'm augmenting it with some extra cash I picked up for a singing gig I had before the holiday. I've wanted to order from them for some time, but just needed a push.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 17:52:19 (permalink)
Would that be the two that I would wish represent or that do actually represent?

For actually representing St. Louis, I would have to say Steak And Shake, with 34 locations, does represent the city. Number two would be any of several Italian places on The Hill.

Based upon posts to Roadfood and other sites, my opinion is that out-of-towners seem to know about The Hill and not much else foodwise. Not that that is a bad thing.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15175
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 18:20:59 (permalink)

tjr and TJ,

You would think that the chain-loyalty would be stronger in Louisville considering the "hometown" attitude of the place. Papa Johns gets a ton of positive exposure with it's sponsorship of U of L Athletes (Stadium) and the new BBall arena being planned now downtown, but I don't think (personal opinion) that it is preferred any more or less than the other chain pizza places. YUM (and their subsets) is also relatively quiet in the "PR" news here, especially when compared to the kind of publicity that KFC used to get when Mrs. Sanders was alive (and before that, the Colonel) I think the dilution of the identifing name (From KFC to YUM) has taken some of the loyalty out of the feelings of the locals. Another chain that has gone down the tubes, but was headquartered here was Chi-Chi's and the stores in Louisville were often used as management training sites, noted for the somewhat higher
level of service than it was reputed to enjoy in other places. We get a lot of attention in the chain stores here too, but the Single operations appear to be alive and well as mentioned by Ian's Mom and tjr.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 19:31:56 (permalink)
"The two places that best represent (the mentality of) your town:"

1. The NEW Super Walmart.

2. The NEW Zaxby's FF Restaurant.

and:

3. Those who think that both of the above are the best thing to come around since sliced bread was invented.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13473
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 19:36:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

2. The NEW Zaxby's FF Restaurant

and:

3. Those who think that both of the above are the best thing to come around since sliced bread was invented.

I agree with Zaxby's but I sincerely like the Super Walmart.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18255
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 20:20:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tjr

Mr. Hoffman, interesting notes on Columbus. I've heard more or less the same before, that it's both home to Wendy's and a popular test market area for other chains because everybody eats chain food. And on several visits, other than the sandwich place in German Village and the state fair we've not been terribly impressed.

Of course in a similar vein in Louisville we've got the HQ of Tumbleweed, Texas Roadhouse, and of course YUM, all of which are pretty popular here, but with the exception of KFC they have very little to do with Kentucky.

I wasn't referring to Columbus. I was referring to Gahanna, which is a suburban city of some 35,000 population near Columbus.

If, however, you were interested in fine places in the Columbus area there are a number of them. Among others there's The Top steakhouse, M, The Refectory, Mitchell's, the Clermont, Rigsby's, Lindey's, and a number of Asian places within the Columbus city limits. Then there are places outside the city limits such as Scali Ristorante and the Bexley Monk. Those, of course, are just a few of the excellent fine-dining estblishments. There are so many great Roadfood-type places that I wouldn't know where to begin a list.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 20:27:42 (permalink)
Bainbridge, Paul. Not Thomasville. I guess you would have to have knowledge of the "full arena" of local happenings to understand where I am coming from. Just got back from Atlanta tonight, BTW. Stayed in mid-town about 4 blocks from "The Varsity". I will post my comments soon about this "experience".

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13473
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/10 22:03:23 (permalink)
quote:

Bainbridge, Paul. Not Thomasville. I guess you would have to have knowledge of the "full arena" of local happenings to understand where I am coming from. Just got back from Atlanta tonight, BTW. Stayed in mid-town about 4 blocks from "The Varsity". I will post my comments soon about this "experience".

Your experience with the Varsity may not have been good but it use to be. I truly enjoyed it years ago.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/11 08:08:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by pcdiva

Ann Arbor, MI - Zingerman's Deli and The Blue Nile. Mile high sandwiches in a funky little shop with a great mail order business as well at Zingerman's. Or you can sit on the floor sharing communal plates of African/Moroccan cuisine at the Blue Nile (vegitarian or carnivore)! That's us!

A friend of mine gave me a gift certificate for Zingerman's for Christmas. I'm augmenting it with some extra cash I picked up for a singing gig I had before the holiday. I've wanted to order from them for some time, but just needed a push.

The sandwiches are expensive, but if you leave hungry, it's your fault. Even the smaller sized sandwiches are about 3 inches thick. I was NOT impressed with Zingerman's Roadhouse. Stick to the sandwiches down town. And consider getting a loaf of bread or sweet baked good to take home.
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/11 08:17:11 (permalink)
quote:

You know Georgia Tech graduates have to go to the "V" every so often to keep all their plumbing well lubricated! (BS Textiles 1987) I'm probably several thousand hours past due...

But there were lots of neat places around campus when I was there as a student. The last time I drove through midtown, I barely recognized the area. If it wasn't for the "V" I would have gotten lost! Maybe one of these days I'll get to re-explore my Alma Mater and its environs.
sizz
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/11 11:41:12 (permalink)
The Varsity
"What-da-ya-have What-da-ya-have What-da-ya-have .................??? for me one of the most disappointing hot dog joints I visited on a around the country hot dog tour.
After seeing that hot-dog documentary on PBS several years back Linda and I decided to take a 2 mouths 8K mile drive and visit as many featured hot-dog joints we could fit in.........
The Varsity was huge couldn't believe the size of the place a very colorful joint for sure but.. ...the hot-dogs were very small and nothing to write home about. there were more people behind the counter then customers in front and sadly no one asked us "What-da-ya-have "...........
Everyone we talked to of our disappointment told us "you should be at the Varsity before or after a football game. So it's the local color of the place and not the hot-dog.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/11 15:14:07 (permalink)
quote:

2. The NEW Zaxby's FF Restaurant.

and:

I'm assuming you're not pulling our chain, so I'll admit we have a new super Wal-Mart in Green Valley too and it's frankly a Godsend (saves lots of driving to Tucson) but I can't say it represents the town. Lots of Wal-Mart haters here too. I just don't happen to be one and I've noticed even the haters shop there. It has a Subway inside that serves HOT DOGS. I've never had had a Subway hot dog--something to look forward to.
familydok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/11 17:30:10 (permalink)
Is No Name Seafood still in Boston?
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

Okay, I'll give Boston a shot, and I hope others will have different ideas of what represents Boston.

Legal Sea Food - unfortunately now a chain, but at least in the area reliable for good quality traditional New England sea food preparations, along with some newer-style offerings. The representation here is purely in the food. The menu encompasses what coastal Yankees knew of as seafood.

Other would be Loch Ober, an Victorian-era tin-ceilinged dining room and bar with a huge menu (and you truly believe they would make whatever you asked for off the menu) and impeccable service. I believe they started permitting ladies in the dining room in the 70s (or maybe 60s). I haven't been since Lydia Shire took over the kitchen (which has been a good while) but the reviews continue to support Loch Ober as part of old and new Boston business society.

Of course, I don't take out of town visitors to either. Lock Ober is out of my price range, and for seafood I take people to The Daily Catch for Sicilian seafood straight from the kitchen as Lleechef has so beautifully described elsewhere.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/11 18:19:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

It has a Subway inside that serves HOT DOGS. I've never had had a Subway hot dog--something to look forward to.
No, it's not. Our Super WalMart has a Nathan's inside a Subway, and the hotdogs have no "snap." Also, the only dressings available are those from Subway, and with the exception of the spicy mustard, Subway doesn't have anything that sounds good on a hot dog.
kmacree
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/12 19:40:41 (permalink)
all "YOU PEOPLE" live in cities with lots of lovely yummy food. what about the rest of us? Representing Jacksonville, IL POP 19,000 more or less... best place for a ribeye and some local atmosphere in the evening: Muggsy's. Jazz night on most thursdays. Not much else available in the way of food. You had to ask for 2 places. If anyone has the bad luck to find themselves in J'ville for a time contact me and I can give details for road food options in the area. jealous alice
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/12 21:27:41 (permalink)
it sounds like the best meal in your hometown, Jacksonville , IL is right at your own house!

sorry to hear about the lack of good food there...
sizz
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/12 21:49:45 (permalink)
quote:
kmacree Posted - 02/12/2006 : 19:40:41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
all "YOU PEOPLE" live in cities with lots of lovely yummy food. what about the rest of us? Representing Jacksonville, IL POP 19,000 more or less... best place for a ribeye and some local atmosphere in the evening: Muggsy's. Jazz night on most thursdays. Not much else available in the way of food. You had to ask for 2 places. If anyone has the bad luck to find themselves in J'ville for a time contact me and I can give details for road food options in the area. jealous alice

Question kmacree ?? .....are you under town arrest? or perhaps tied to the town's only traffic light? or maybe your a suspect in some hank-panky with the mayor's daughter and you cant leave town' till the baby is born?................. Move ! please, don't let the world pass you by. You can always come back at Thanksgiving and tell all the folks about how hard it is to find a parking space in your new CITY!!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18255
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/12 22:35:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:

Question kmacree ?? .....are you under town arrest? or perhaps tied to the town's only traffic light? or maybe your a suspect in some hank-panky with the mayor's daughter and you cant leave town' till the baby is born?................. Move ! please, don't let the world pass you by. You can always come back at Thanksgiving and tell all the folks about how hard it is to find a parking space in your new CITY!!!

Congratulations! You have just won the Sensitivity to Actual Human Beings Award. When you are capable of describing a human being you may collect your prize by contacting: www.humanbeingsareus.com
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4580
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/12 23:23:05 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

San Jose Residents DO have a fair amount of experience with errant mayors, don't they Frank? She'll feel right at home in the South Bay with your able assistance.
sizz
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/13 01:48:02 (permalink)
quote:
bill voss Posted - 02/12/2006 : 23:23:05
San Jose Residents DO have a fair amount of experience with errant mayors, don't they Frank? She'll feel right at home in the South Bay with your able assistance.

Oh My.........didn't see the name Alice so kmacree is a lady ........... so the funny part about the mayor's daughter in my post was not so funny.............

Well, Miss Alice I would first like to apologize for thinking you were of the opposite sex,and now I would like to extend an invitation to become a resident of San Jose California the tenth largest city in the United States. We here have over a million people waiting to greet you with open arms............ come on out to where the sun shines 320 days a year, and if you should miss bad weather and the boredom of your little town we'll ship you to Oregon for a week or how many days it will take before moss starts growing on the north side of your ankles.
Not to worry Miss Alice while in Oregon Bill Voss will make sure your comfortably positioned under an umbrella............ wont you Bill?
Whenever you decide to come Miss Alice, Mayor Gonzales and I will be waiting with limousine service to whisk you off to Original Joe's for some Veal Scallopini Sec with Mushrooms my favorite.

BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/13 03:18:16 (permalink)
quote:

Oh My.........didn't see the name Alice so kmacree is a lady ........... so the funny part about the mayor's daughter in my post was not so funny.............

Well, Miss Alice I would first like to apologize for thinking you were of the opposite sex,and now I would like to extend an invitation to become a resident of San Jose California the tenth largest city in the United States.
Whenever you decide to come Miss Alice, Mayor Gonzales and I will be waiting with limousine service to whisk you off to Original Joe's for some Veal Scallopini Sec with Mushrooms my favorite.

Hey, even as a lady, if you did have an interest in the Mayor's daughter you'd still be welcome a few miles north up the peninsula in my much more tolerant home town (the one with world-class sports teams, culture, museums and other stuff San Jose lacks, not to mention the ORIGINAL Original Joe's). We send people involved in that sort of "hanky panky" to the state legislature or our Board of Supervisors.
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 426
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/13 07:43:24 (permalink)
With a few apologies:

Aside from eating places I guess the two most representative places would be the landfill and the sewer plant !!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1