The two places that best represent your town

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/13 09:42:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wallhd

With a few apologies:

Aside from eating places I guess the two most representative places would be the landfill and the sewer plant !!
Well, al least Plattsburgh is close to Montreal.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/13 09:47:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

BT and fpczyz: What about Jumpin Java? You can't get more San Frnacisco than that, can you?

I wish I had a pic of us at Jumpin Java during our last visit. The only pic I have of restaurants is my wife coming out of Chow after lunch, and a pic from the Grubsteak.

Jumpin Java?? Grubsteak?? You get around, my friend. I'm impressed--those are not spots where you commonly find non-locals.

Jumpin Java, as you evidently know, is a small neighborhood coffee shop on Noe St. I can't imagine the average visitor would ever encounter it. I happen to know about it because at certain times I have gone there every Sunday to read the Sunday paper since it's often less crowded and easier to get a table than the better known places on and just off Market St. But its fatal flaw from my point of view is the fact that they sell iced tea, my personal beverage of choice, but NEVER have any lemon to put in it. Iced tea without lemon = IMHO, but for years, off and on, I've coped (sometimes I even bring my own in a little baggy). But sometimes I just can't face it and head down the street to the horribly crowded, see-and-be-seen spot, Cafe Flore. other than than quirk, it is a quiet spot similar to many such places all over town which , I suppose, makes it in a way "representastive" though not special.

Grubsteak is just off Polk St. which, decades ago (before the Castro) was THE strip of gay bars in town. It's quieter now and has both a number of interesing restaurants (including the popular Swan Oyster Depot and one of my favorite Indian places, Maharani) and a seedier end with "adult" book/toy shops and teen runaways selling both drugs and themselves (One of my personal favorite charities is the Larkin St. Youth Center which serves this population and successfully gets many of them back on the road to productive lives, but that's another story). Anyway, the Grubsteak grew up serving late night, after-bar-hopping meals to Polk St. party people. It always has had pretty good food, though, and since the owners were Portuguese, it has some interesitng Portuguese specialities I wouldn't know where else to find on the menu (alongside the burgers and chili and scrambled eggs). Anyway, Grubsteak is good, but I wouldn't call it "representative" of much beyond itself.

When we travel to cities, our goal is to find the local flavor. Jumpin Java, believe it or not, was listed in Fodor's as a non-tourist local hangout. Grubsteak was recommended by the hotel concierge at the York Hotel after we saw a cabaret show/musical revue there and were looking for a late night meal. Grubsteak was only about three or four blocks from there.

The most interedting night was some small dive not too far from North Beach where we met some musicians who, once they found out I was a musician and my wife a choreographer, took us to some other out of the way bars.
Since they were leading the way and we cabbed back to the hotel, I have no idea where we went. But it definately the best night of our visit.

tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/13 11:05:15 (permalink)
In Las Cruces New Mexico, La Posta De Mesilla seems to be the most renowned restuarant, on a national basis. However, for me, the best food in town (Mexican of course) would have to start with Pete's Hacienda and Roberto's, home of the Whole Enchilada Festival held here at the end of every September.

olddocdiner
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/13 11:22:03 (permalink)
In Barnesville GA, the two places the best represent the town include Past Time Grill, local diner and gossip spot. Food is fair, local gossip is superior. The place would be the Garden Patch, a buffet of not-so-good food that locals line up and graze on. Unfortunately, typical of the dining opportunities in town.

In my hometown of Owensboro KY, Old Hickory BBQ (no commercial cookers used, but real hickory wood) and The Bistro downtown, where the up-and-coming now dine on somewhat better cuisine than in years past.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/13 22:58:09 (permalink)
Stumptown Coffee Roasters(the coffee is sublime) and any McMenamin's( because Portland is the city of microbrews)
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/17 05:44:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Los Angeles!

The first one is obvious...Phillipe's French Dip, which is one of the few foods we can lay claim to having invented here.

It's too hard to narrow down the second...I have to cheat too...after all, it's a megalopolis!!! I can pick a few places where the community gathers, and a guidebook would say "locals" frequent:

Cuban...Versailles
Soul Food...M & M's
The Original Tommy's chiliburger

I'd add El Cholo on S. Western and Roscoe's in Hollywood.

In my home town of Capistrano Beach, CA it would be El Patio Cafe. It's been in the same spot since 1953 and is still in the same family.
I've been eating there since I was 5 years old, but sadly not near as much as I used to since moving out to Fontana.
pmrkr2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/17 17:26:40 (permalink)
living in nyc that's a tough one but off the cuff i'd have to say
Barney Greengrass or the Carnige Deli and
Peter Luger's in Brooklyn.
well you said just two or maybe three
BrooklynBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/18 17:45:25 (permalink)
You can just about count the restaurants in our small town (Gardiner, NY) on one hand. I have selected two – one for its food and the second for its atmosphere.

We have a very fine German restaurant – The Mountain Bauhaus. It has been owned and operated by the same family for over 50 years. It offers traditional German fare as well as “modern” cuisine. The food is very good to excellent.
Their web site will give you an idea:

http://www.mountainbrauhaus.com/

Bordering our town is one uniquely interesting restaurant – The Colonial Inn 1776. Its historic stone structure was built in 1709 with a large addition completed in 1776 -- but just that is not what makes it interesting.
The bar is what makes it interesting!
It is composed of components of THREE BARS that enhanced the 1939 Worlds Fair. Some time in 1941 when the fair closed, those bars and their “props” made their way out of NYC to our Hudson Valley and were enshrined at 1776.
The bars and furniture came from:
1) The Trophy Room of the Schaefer Pavilion -- big game heads etc.
2) The English Pub of the British Pavilion
3) The bar of the Japanese Pavilion
The food is mostly Italian and good. The atmosphere is what gives the place character.
I usually order pizza which I like and think is very good.

Bill
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/18 18:55:08 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
In Athens, Georgia, I would have to list three, in no order. All these are representative of "home-cooking" establishments, as we have only a limited amount of "strictly local" cuisine, this being a major college town and as transient a place as it is.
1) The Gateway Cafe - North Avenue. - Where else can you find chicken mull (on Thursdays only) in the city limits? Also serves a great breakfast for mighty cheap.
2) The Plantation Buffet - M. L. King Boulevard. - Has BBQ pork and goat on Tuesdays. Only open for lunch. The menu rotates by day of the week.
3) Royal Cafe - 175 Tallassee Road. - As good a standard meat-and-three-and-breakfast place as I've ever found locally. In the event that they have squash casserole, that's a must. Also the meatloaf sold on Mondays is nearly as good as my Mama's used to be.
I'll conjure up some places for Atlanta on a return visit.
Meeting-And-Threeing, Ort. Carlton in Drearyrainy Athens, Georgia.
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/19 09:06:51 (permalink)
Here in Versailles, KY, Wilson's Pool Hall is the best place if you want a lot of local color (everyone from farmers, attorneys, judges, etc.) Everyone goes there and when you go in everyone turns to look to see who's coming in. They also have one of the best burgers (Willie Burger) and onion rings I've ever eaten, and you watch your food being prepared and listen to everyone's banter.

Andrea
corabeth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/19 18:44:33 (permalink)
Here in Indianapolis:

Hollyhock Hill- for wonderful fried chicken served family style with all the fixins.

Nickel Plate Bar and Grill just northeast of Indy in Fishers,IN- great hand breaded tenderloins.

Thanks for the mentions of Lynn's Paradise Cafe in Louisville. My son went to culinary school at Sullivan Univeristy in Louisville and is presently the evening kitchen manager for Lynn's. I am one proud Mama for his contribution to such a great restaurant!!
chunbob
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/20 18:54:35 (permalink)
In Whitefish Montana, 25 miles from Glacier Park, it's an easy call. A lot more restaurants than you would expect in a small town because of the tourists but two stand out. The Buffalo Cafe, http://www.digisys.net/buffalocafe/ for a hearty blue collar breakfast with the locals. For cuisine Tupelo's Cajun flair is the answer and their bread pudding dessert is completely out of control.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15333
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/20 19:40:01 (permalink)

Corabeth
We took the Bushies to Lynn's Paradise Cafe for breakfast this morning on our way to the airport to send them back to Texas. We had a great breakfast and a very enjoyable time.
Kenny da Fat Man
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/20 22:04:41 (permalink)
PITTSBURGH - The home of the five time Superbowl Champion Steelers:

Isaly's - Chipped Ham BBQ's and a Sky Scaper Ice Cream Cone...The perfect meal!

Primanti Bros. - Get the Sweet Sausage & Egg (double the meat) - No, that wasn't my nick name in high school!

Take it from Kenny Da Fat Man!!
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/20 22:09:48 (permalink)
Kenny,
How about hot dogs at the Pickle Barrel on Carson Street and at the Original O's on Forbes? And how about Jimmy Tsang's for Chinese food? Those are a couple of my favorites.
The Bear
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2346
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/21 02:05:31 (permalink)
Waukesha, Wisconsin

Casa Del Rio--this city has a large Mexican population & this is the best place to go for Mexican food. We used to have a Jalisco's & they were more Roadfood, but they got a bad reputation after a jilted former employee spread the word around town that they served dog or cat meat. Jalisco's closed their doors, moved over to the former Saz's and Pep's Depot (restaurant in an old train station), raised their prices, and changed their name to La Estacion. You can no longer go pick up nachos in your pajamas & slippers @ 11pm, because they're not open until 4am anymore, and you have to walk past everyone in the bar to get to the counter to pick up & pay. But that's ok, I never go there anymore. Casa Del Rio is where it's at. Good shrimp cocktail appetizer, good seafood & vegetarian selections, AWESOME tres leches cake. Very good service & strolling mariachis twice a week. Also, I see actual Mexicans eating there, which is always a good sign! We took my aunt's husband, who is from Mexico, there & he loved it.

Jimmy's Grotto--you've GOT to try the Ponza Rotta. Think of it as a fried calzone. They make them to order, my favorite is black olive, mushroom & cheese w/o sauce. They also have the best Italian beef sandwich in town. They have other things, too. Very good food, for cheap. They deliver for orders over $10, and you CAN pick up food @ 11pm in your pajamas & pay them in quarters. They have pizza, too & Taco Ponza's. You can get their Ponza's in grocery stores now, but it's just not the same.

These 2 restaurants are practically next door to one another. For dessert, you can go further down Main Street & stop @ Divino Gelato for some gelato. I like the stracchiatella, or the passionfruit, but everyone raves about the chocolate & the hazelnut.
flasher40
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/21 09:29:46 (permalink)
Hello,

The best place to eat in our town which is Marion Virginia is the DIPDOG Stand of course... Best place for homemade DIPDOGS and homemade Onion Rings made fresh daily..
planojim
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/21 10:30:29 (permalink)
In the suburbian sprawl of Plano, TX, my two choices on most representative would be Tin Star and Poor Richards Cafe.

Tin Star is a local chain that serves good food with a southwestern lean. Always crowded, and very family freindly. A perfect restaurant for a suburb.

Poor Richards Cafe takes one back in time a little to when Plano was not the uber-suburb, but an agrarian landscape. A restaurant where locals would gather over a cup of coffee, eat breakfast, and discuss the cotton crop.
Kenny da Fat Man
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/21 12:35:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Kenny,
How about hot dogs at the Pickle Barrel on Carson Street and at the Original O's on Forbes? And how about Jimmy Tsang's for Chinese food? Those are a couple of my favorites.
The Bear

Yes Bear...I agree, those are great places! I love "The O" and Jimmy's, but honestly, IMHO, I've had better hotdogs and chinese here in pittsburgh (and other places). Locally, I think Yovi's has better dogs (in Downtown Pgh on Liberty), and The Sesame Inn is the greatest (as good as Jimmy's but cheaper).

The REAL questions is: Where ya gonna find a chipped ham BBQ sandwich with *real* Isaly's chipped-chopped ham? Only Isalys! And who else will tempt your taste buds by putting sweet sausage (double the meat), egg, cheese, fries and slaw on MANCINI'S italian bread? Nowhere but the 'Burgh baby!
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 914
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/23 19:24:58 (permalink)
I'd say for Detroit, first it would be the Roma Cafe in our Eastern Market district. The Roma Cafe has been in operation for over 116 years. The veal is to die for ... and their Italian buffet every Monday is enough to bring tears to your eyes. It is a restaurant where junior waiters have only been there for 25 years, the Roma is long on tradition and has been a favorite of everyone from meatpackers to mobsters.

After that, it's a tough call.
And so many great restaurants have closed over the years.
I'm also partial to the Caucus Club ... but then again, I'm partial to an awful lot of other ones too.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/25 01:20:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

our city is bigger, has better weather and more sun then that little boutique town north of us and we are now the hub of the Bay Area

But, strangely enough, has no major league baseball, no NFL football, no world class symphony or opera, no "Wall Street of the West", no bridges, no harbor, not much to look at, really. But someday--not likely in my lifetime or yours, Frank--it'll get over the inferiority complex. Till then, I'll maybe try a meal in ORIGINAL Original Joe's which is in the ORIGINAL hub of the Bay Area. Cheers.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/25 01:31:43 (permalink)
The best minestrone and the best Joe's is north of the Golden Gate Bridge where in Spring 1954 some San Francisco boys opened Marin Joe's on Hwy 101 in Corte Madera, Marin County where a few years later the state built a freeway and a fence and Joe's was now on a frontage road, well nothing has changed, it looks and tastes the same and still packs 'em in 52 years later when hundreds of restaurants nearby have come and gone.
So you guys in San Fran and San Panty Jose make up and come north and check it out.
syzygy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/02/26 21:53:33 (permalink)
for me - in Fresno - it would have to be Guadalajara's mexican restaurant and The Meat Market for their tri-tip sandwiches. i love the smell of that joint
hairylunch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/03/12 22:43:28 (permalink)
All right, here's my two for Helena, MT (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=helena,+mt) - Note that I'm originally from the midwest, and even though my choices below might make me seem like a hippy/ecofreak, I love all kinds of food (I miss Waffle House, Steak and Shake, and Skyline Chili in Cincinnati). I'm also going to cheat and list three places . . . even if Helena is a town of only around 30k, it's got some great, local eateries . . .

No Sweat Cafe (427 N Last Chance Gulch St) - Total hippy breakfast/lunch place. One of the signs on the door says "No Guns or Cell Phones." They're serious about the cell phone thing - I've seen people be asked to leave. The place is cozy, with an L-shaped counter in the back that seats around 6, 3 big booths along the right wall, plus a tiny one-sided booth that is maybe 3' across. There's two table/booths in the front windows on both sides of the door, as well as maybe four more tables, that seat two to four.

Some people around town joke that when they say "no sweat" they mean they're not going to sweat for you - wait times on Saturday and Sunday mornings can be upwards of an hour. You just have to relax and get into the hippy mentality; patrons are friendly, and you can meet some great people while waiting. You can see into the kitchen, where Deb will usually be cooking, an older woman is usually doing dishes, and there'll be one or two people working the counter and the floor.

When you do get to sit down, the first thing you'll be asked is "coffee?" Being earth-friendly, they have a water jug on the counter with juice cups. If you want a big glass and they don't know you, they'll only give the big cup after they explain to you that water is a valuable resource, and you have to finish all your water.

The menu is fantastic, with almost everything being made of locally grown organic goods. Lots of scrambled egg or potato based dishes, a fantastic burger (and no you won't get any fries - too unhealthy), great enchiladas, and even nice simple brown rice and veggie bowls. The Tibetan Toad is one of my favorites - a great combination of eggs, sprouts, sausage, and garlic along with hash browns and toast. Average check with tip is probably $10.

Note that everything is cooked to order, and Deb or the other cooks will basically work on one dish at a time, so be prepared to wait.

It's the kind of place you wander into on a Sunday morning and it's a gathering spot, with people reading their papers with family and friends, maybe sticking around for a few hours while chatting over coffee, and talking to friends and neighbors at other tables . . .

Definitely not for everyone, but I love it, and it's great to see a restaurant that lives by it's own beat, eschewing the idea of pushing people through as fast as they can, and not comprising their beliefs to draw in more patrons . . .

Taco Del Sol (101 N Last Chance Gulch St) - The locally owned "fresh Mex" place. Menu consists of mission burritos with fish, chicken, pork, beef, or carne asada, and black, refried, or pinto beans, tacos, and a few other related items. (Don't dish a fish taco or burrito till you've tried it.) Vegan friendly options as well. Menu options range from around $2 for a taco, to $5 for 14" burritos.

Very bright, colorful decor in a restaurant that's in the basement of one of the buildings on the Walking Mall in town - you get a true feel for the mining town that Helena used to be when you go to the bathroom, and you walk past the walk-in vault with the big wheel on the font of it. More character is added to the place as people's various foil creations (animals, vehicles, etc) are on the counter . . . I've heard people compare it to Taco Del Mar, but I've never eaten at that chain

Staggering Ox (400 Euclid Ave) - They've got their bread patented. They bake it in a coffee can, and hollow it out, leaving you with a tube that they fill with the ingredients for your sandwich. Lots of different breads, and some great sauces to go with the sandwiches (I love their wasabi ranch). They've got an old side, and a new side they've expanded into. The old side has a cozy atmosphere, with lots of natural light and green plants, while the new side has an industrial feel to it, with a 20' ceiling or so, exposed conduit, etc. In the back of the new section, there's also a bar, which serves local microbrews.

Again, probably $10 max . . .

I think of this list, the Ox might be the only place that takes plastic - the rest are cash, and since it is Montana, they'll even take personal checks . . .
theburgerguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/03/14 12:57:32 (permalink)
In Surf City, CA (aka Huntington Beach):

The Sugar Shack

and Bravo Burgers
http://www.solotraveler.info
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/03/15 11:03:58 (permalink)
Mama's Coney Island Dogs in Flint. They put the mustard on first, then onions and chili (beanless) on top. Very good dogs.
mrsd2fan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/03/15 16:31:21 (permalink)
Originally posted by Scorereader

My hometown: Liverpool, NY

#1 - Heid's of Liverpool. Incidently, there isn't a Heid's hot dog stand anywhere else. So, you can ignore the "of Liverpool" part, since it's a little redundant. Founded in 1883 by Valentine Heid, it's one of the nation's oldest true fast-food restaurants. Heid's Hot Dog stand has gone through many changes from a push cart, to a restaurant, to a failed expansion (much to the delight of Liverpudlian's who just assume keep it a Liverpool only landmark). But through it all, no single restaurant in Liverpool or all of Central NY has garnered more attention and enthusiasm than Heid's of Liverpool.

Tied
#2 - The Retreat. A Restaurant and bar with an eccletic collection of antiques from Liverpool's early days as the Town of Salina during the salt "mining" years, along with newer rowing collectibles, inlcuding a scull from Syracuse University, due to the fact that Central New York is one of a few hubs where the team sport of Crew has developed many national championship teams and individuals. For years, the NCAA National Championships in Crew were held here. But The Retreat is still a local home with the pub side and fine dining side. Casual, or dress up.

tie #2 - Mother's. I've mentioned this place on Roadfood before. IMO, one of the Syracuse areas best italian restaurants that, really, only Liverpudlians ever notice. In a quaint, usassuming red house on 1st Street in Liverpool that is filled with some strange decorations, like a doll that stands in the corner on the floor, and a floor that has a definate tilt to one side of the restaurant, you're treated to a fabulous dinner for about as much as I pay for a hamburger at a DC restaurant ($8-$12).

much to the delight of Liverpudlian's who just assume keep it a Liverpool only landmark]...lol...I haven't heard that word in years, Liverpudlians...Lord, I miss CNY!
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/03/15 16:42:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by theburgerguy

In Surf City, CA (aka Huntington Beach):

The Sugar Shack

and Bravo Burgers

"Two Girls For Every Boy"....I got a '32 wagon and they call it a Woody, Surf City here we come.......
mrsd2fan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/03/15 16:43:44 (permalink)
I now live in Athens, GA and I haven't lived here long enough to say what restaurnats best represent this town, but I do like Logan's (ok, I love their tall ones)

I'm from North Syracuse, NY and the restaurant that best represent North Syracuse is Twin Trees Restaurant on Route 11 , hands down the best pizza you'll ever eat in your life!http://www.twintrees3.com/
Also the Clam Bar on Route 11 is a small unassuming place that crams people in for their big portions and great hospitality.

As far as the city, Syracuse...definately The Dinosaur barbque....best bbq anywhere! dinosaurbarbque.com

trudyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/03/25 12:51:37 (permalink)
Thank you to all who have responded. This is a thread that I will save for it tells about a lot of great places everywhere in the U.S.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1