The two places that best represent your town

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Author
Celeste
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/03/25 22:19:38 (permalink)
Fairbanks, Alaska USA

The two best places that represent Fairbanks (and Alaska) are:

Ester Gold Camp

Family Style Dungeness Crab Feed in an Historic Log Hotel. They serve Reindeer Stew and the worlds best Homemade Biscuits and Hot, Syrupy Blueberry Jam. This is the kind of place where you meet the people next to you by picking crab shells off of them that you just flicked on them!

The Alaska Salmon Bake at Pioneer Park

Picnic tables in the open and under cover (for rain and those bad mosquito days) are set up in an outdoor Gold Rush Era museum setting. Here the air is mixed with smoking Alderwood and succulent aromas of the wonderfully prepared grill items. They have a salad bar and side items, but that's not special...go for the grill! Salmon, Halibut, Ribs and Steak rule here.

Don't miss either of these if you get this far North someday!

Celeste
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/09 13:19:53 (permalink)
This is one of my favorite threads. Would like to hear if anyone else has any suggestions.
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/09 14:34:31 (permalink)
http://www.maikai.com/

http://www.capsplace.com/

http://eatattropicalacres.com/

http://www.rusticinn.com/

http://www.calypsorestaurant.com/

http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_HTjl9XXQT5p0Q5m8nFRRfKWapRGyDgZx5d14vHAVhdo=

I'm still working on narrowing it down to two.
Jonathan
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/09 17:35:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mrsd2fan[ br]I now live in Athens, GA and I haven't lived here long enough to say what restaurnats best represent this town

Mrsd2fan,
Try Rooster's BBQ at 217 Hiawassee Avenue, just off Boulevard by West End Baptist Church - their ribs are outstanding. That's off Prince Avenue.
Another good BBQ place (I haven't been there yet; it's clear across town for me) is Jot 'Em Down on East Whitehall Road, off Barnett Shoals.
For meat-and-three places, try Weaver D.'s on East Broad Street by the Middle Oconee River, Wilson's Soul Food on North Hull Street downtown, and Five Star Day on East Broad Street, just down from the U. Ga. Arch downtown by College Square.
Welcome to Athens! I've lived here most of my life (born and raised) and post here fairly often.
Unhungrily (At The Moment, But Subject To Abrupt Change!), Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Unbucolic Athens, Georgia.
Celeste
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/09 19:58:42 (permalink)
Could this topic/thread be put into a database file somehow? I'm new here so I don't yet know the limitations...just a thought.

Celeste
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/09 20:15:04 (permalink)
What happened to the Normaltown Cafe, Ort?
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/09 22:12:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson
What happened to the Normaltown Cafe, Ort?

TJ,
It's gone; replaced by The Royal Cafe.
Here's the chain of events: the floor of the old location on Prince Avenue started to give way, so Judy went looking for another location. She ran across a closed former Huddle House on Tallassee Road and leased it. The place did fine, but she got pregnant with her second kid and didn't feel as if she could burp three babies at once, the cafe being the third.
Her breakfast cook, Kelli Royal, had just married and her husband Dusty Blakely is a cook, too. After a refurbishing, the place reopened as The Royal Cafe and has slowly-but-surely begun to prosper.
Kelli just had a baby, so she's out of the picture for awhile, but Dusty and prep cook Jefferson have kept the place going in her absence. There hasn't been a Soup Of The Day nor a Vegetable Of The Day in awhile, but the regular menu offerings are decent enough that nobody has complained under the circumstances.
I ate there today; had a mess of chicken livers. That was around 1:15 and I'm not hungry yet.
The address is 175 B Tallassee Road, Athens.
Gratefully Submitted, Ort. in 30601-land.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/09 22:44:13 (permalink)
On nice thing about living in a town of only 1,400 people is that it is easy to pick the TWO places that best represent your town because there are ONLY TWO places. Both are pretty good. Tonka Bay, Minnesota has two restaurants now--the Hazellwood Grill & Tap Room and Joey Nova's Pizzeria & Delicatessen. They are actually under the same ownership and kind of complement each other for different tastes, preferences and eating desires. Sadly, neither has a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich.

http://www.hazellewoodgrill.com/

http://www.joeynovas.com/

That's kind of fun and easy cheating. Tonka Bay is but one small community amongst dozens of others that border Lake Minnetonka in the greater Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area.
Sourdust
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/12 19:29:53 (permalink)
Burlington, Vermont

It's hard to really represent this town, because it's pretty obvious looking at the restaurants that it's two towns; the old, pre-1980, grimy industrial NE factory town with a declining, aging, somewhat impoverished population -- and the new, college-and-tourist based, younger, hipper, wealthier population. For the first, it's hard; there aren't many old restaurants left here excepting a couple of diners which I can't say are anything much different than what you'd find anywhere else.

For present-day Burlington:

The Vermont Pub and Brewery: beer is big here, being a heavy-drinking college town, and this was the first brewpub in the state, since 1989. Ridiculously popular in the summer with a terrace that might have an hour wait on a weeknight, food is just bar food with more vegetarian stuff than is usual, beer is good to excellent; lots of regulars and in the summer heaps of tourists.

Five Spice Cafe: Asian fusion, mostly Indonesian/Malaysian, probably 1/3 vegetarian menu, fairly spicy, creative, somewhat expensive; has been here at least 10 years which is a long time in Burlington. My choice for best restaurant in town and certainly a favorite of locals and tourists.

Our restaurant scene has always struck me as atypical for an older (1760s) small-to-medium city, but the college/progressive/hippie/weirdo presence really dominates. I think there's one non-chain steakhouse in the area, maybe 2 chain meat palaces. No really decent cheap restaurants IMHO apart from the 2 brewpubs that serve food; most everything seems to gravitate towards the moderate-to-high end, or dive and there are few of the latter except in the poor neighborhoods.
lauriedi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/14 17:39:48 (permalink)
What a fun topic- I've enjoyed reading about everyone's towns and places to eat. I need to get going on the next road trip!

Don't forget the towns in the Bay Area other than SF and SJ... believe it or not, we do have some good road food too! Here's my list from "my" towns.

San Mateo=Jeffrey's Burgers (excellent milkshakes).
San Carlos=San Remos
Menlo Park= the Dutch Goose (peanuts, mussels, and deviled eggs!)
Oakland=Zachary's Pizza and Barney's Burgers (I'm sure there are other's that may represent the city a bit more)
Hayward=Val's Burgers (better milkshakes than Jeffrey's!)
Fremont/Centerville=The town has changed so much in the past 25 years-so I can't say what represents it now (I've heard it's considered one of the most multicultural towns in the country-the "hole-in-the-wall" food choices are astounding), but the pies at Nation's and sandwiches at Muchner Haus Deli have stood the test of time (too bad Cloverdale Creamery is gone!).

I'm in the process of moving to Santa Cruz- so far I'd say it's Chill Out and Pleasure Pizza-Eastside.
lauriedi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/14 17:58:30 (permalink)
oops- I forgot to add (and cannot leave out) Woodside= Alice's and Buck's! Both are worth visiting if you're driving down 280/CA84 or CA84/Skyline (CA35).
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/16 01:34:52 (permalink)
Dallas. Whew! We have soooooooo many restaurants. There seems to be at least 3-4 new places opening each week. As well as 3-4 new places closing each week.
Only two to choose? My personal favorites are, "First Chinese BBQ" and "Capital Grille". Miles apart in style, price and location. But, both outstanding in their own right. With about a million people around these parts, I doubt if any one person would come up with the same two restaurants.
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/17 13:51:58 (permalink)
Bro Marsh's Barbeque - Ripley, WV

This guy knows how to cook a pork butt! Incredibly moist and flavorfull!
Ribs aint bad, but the pulled pork butt is the max.

Patty's Home Cooking - Kenna, WV

For less than a 5 spot, you can get a really good homecooked meal.
Have an old fashion homemade Apple Dumpling for desert.
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 283
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/17 15:05:43 (permalink)
Gee, thought I'd posted on this thread. Well, lemme jump in real quick for Alexandria, LA. The town itself has delusions of granduer, but West Side Bar B Q on Jackson Street Extension(in business for around 50 yrs), and right next door to Westside is Robbie G's (best fish, seafood, & gumbo in the area) have no delusions whatsoever! Bring blue jeans & napkins for both!
And if you're in town Tues-Sat for breakfast/lunch, Atwoods Bakery on MacArthur Drive can't be beat for coffee/tea, pastries, soups, sandwiches, and gelato. Y'all come!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/17 16:12:59 (permalink)
That's OK. I thought I had too.
For my town of Talent, Oregon I would say it has to be the Rogue Valley's world class restaurant, New Sammy's Cowboy Bistro;( almost, but not quite, an underground cafe),
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/08/24/CM73357.DTL
and Arbor House, a family run place since 1979, in a house with a garden.
I'd add in our 2 taco trucks, and Bankok's Benny, a Thai Trailer that will soon be housed in a real building
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/17 16:37:26 (permalink)
My favs in Gainesville( I can stay to two either) -
Copper Monkey for an awesome "University Avenue Steak Burger" 1/2 -
3/4 lb(sauteed mushrooms and onions under a thick slice of provolone cheese)with fresh cut fries that are never cold.

Gator City - best wings here, never dissapoint and are always hot and fresh as well.

Leonardo's - italian, great deep dish pizza that's not only sauce and dough and a wonderful house vinegrette

Burrito Bros. Taco Company - can't go wrong with anything here and their guac rocks!
fredferris
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/17 17:19:04 (permalink)
Columbus, Ohio (a tough one, but two good ones)
-The Top
-Windward Passage

Los Angeles:
-Canter's Deli
-Musso and Frank

Chicago:
-Billy Goat
-Gene and Georgetti

New York:
-Corner Bistro
-Elaines

Northern New Jesey:
-Arthurs
-Belmont Tavern

stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/18 07:56:52 (permalink)
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA

Old Forge Pizza. No, this isn't a specific restaurant...but a whole town plus surrounding areas and style. Northeast PA is truly unique when it comes to pizza. Lots of Italian immigrants, and no two pizza joints are the same. The Stern's have discovered Old Forge Style (see posts for Genotti's and Salerno's on this board), where many reign supreme, but the popularity contest champ has to be Revello's (on Main Street). This is where all of my out-of-town friends first go when they return home. I prefer Ghigiarelli's (across the street). The newer Calogero's just a bit south on Main serves some knockout take-out only. But don't stop there...Pizza Perfect Carverton Road Trucksville (great oily Sicilian with onions), Senape's (Hazleton--cold pitza, see posts for pictures, etc.) and the small Old Forge style chain Colarusso's are all worth your explorations.

Tony's Diner (Rt. 11 aka Wyoming Ave., Kingston) is NEPA Sandwich heaven. Jimmy (aka Tony) has been manning the grill for fifty some years) and will blow your mind with Italian sandwiches. Come early and have it as an omelette. (Limited hours). Next up: Glider Diner (Providence Road, Scranton)---Working-class diner. Excellent Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwiches with Mashed Potatoes, Fries with Gravy, killer pie. Open all night Fri and Sat.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18658
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/18 13:48:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jinjo76

Old Florida Seafood House

I'm still working on narrowing it down to two.
Jonathan

I have to ask. Why is it that a fish place in Fort Lauderdale doesn't have Florida lobster on the menu?
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/20 02:33:29 (permalink)
We have too many to list just two. Depends on the taste buds of the visitor but here are two not to be missed places.

Highland Bar and Grill, American South meets South of France. The baked grits with gulf shrimp is delish!

Little Savannah Restaurant. Fresh Gulf seafood, lots of fresh veggies in a nice relaxed bistro style.

From my tiny hometown of Hayden, Alabama with 470 folks, Plantation Steak House, very good yeast rolls with honey butter, big cuts of meat and lots of fresh veggies. Sherry's Creek Side BBQ, the pulled pork sandwich is so tender and smoky, the sauce is served on the side by request, tangy and not too sweet. One of my favs. Sherry's is home to Mom's Fried Pies. The apple ones are the best but there are also peach, lemon and in season, blackberry.

But if you are ever in town we'll visit my mamaw. Best southern food to be had and can't beat the price! Heck, I'll even throw in some muscadine jelly :-)
JuanKerr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/22 02:52:30 (permalink)
In my neck(s) of the woods:

Weirton, WV
-----------
Di Carlos Pizza - All the independent pizza places round here make exactly the same kind of pie, square pieces with not much (but pungent) cheese and generous pepperoni. There are signs up suggesting they'll put a very limited choice of other (vegetable) toppings on if you ask, but I've never seen anyone dare yet. Di Carlos is the best of them. The attached restaurant, Mario's, is average to good italian food at really reasonable prices. Not representative though.

Mugsy's - The one on the hill that used to be a Dairy Queen. By no means the best eats in town, but it wouldn't be a representative post without an establishment which doesn't have those pernicious video poker machines. Without going into complete rant mode, I'm almost ready to photoshop up some 'Visit West Virginia (and more!)' posters for the tourist board. But I digress, as far as I can tell Mugsy's still use the same DQ equipment, but prepare the stuff with care and at least the machines are hidden in (also pleasant) bar in the back. Very good fries.

Pittsburgh, PA
--------------
Primanti Brothers (Strip District) - Mentioned in the other 'burgh posts, the prices are no longer good, the hygene dubious and the service is awful, albeit with a smile. I still eat there as often as I can, because it's still worth it.

Shootz (Southside) - At the bum end of E. Carson Street, completely unremarkable other than I've had nothing bad to eat there. Ever. It's your normal sports bar, with plenty of pool tables, and the fare is standard but nicely done and cheap. You won't rave about it, but you can't lose; typical Pittsburgh.

Sunderland, UK
---------------
Crozier Street Fisheries (Monkwearmouth) - Well, it's been 6 months but last time I was there these were still the best fish and chips in Sunderland, if not the whole north-east of England. One of the few to still fry in beef dripping (tallow), it's grease heaven and absolutely delicious. British food is, to be generous, apalling as a whole, but you haven't tasted battered fried fish until you've had it in a traditional northern chippy. Bad for the heart, but good for the soul.

Cafe Blue Cobra (Centre) - Upscale, relatively expensive Indian food, opposite the university area, surrounded by bars, clubs, and lots of very inebriated folk, young and old. They do a sensible but tasty menu for when you're sober, but will happily whip you up a nuclear vindaloo after 17 pints of lager too.
blgpts
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/22 13:51:25 (permalink)
In Gallipolis ohio... there is a great little hot dog place called, "Remo's" which has the best sauce in the world. They never ever give out the recipe. Its a family secret. Has been for years.

In columbus ohio, where we go frequently, there is a place called "quaker steak and Lube" which is very interesting, and all the food is homemade, including their very own potato chips. Its a very unique place, and I don't know the address, but its very, very near the polaris mall.
Another spot in columbus is called "Salvi's Bistro". If you want really good Italian, thats where to go. And again, they make everything themselves.
alba
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/25 17:45:11 (permalink)
In the places I've lived as an adult (now some of these places may be gone):

Pittsburgh, PA: Primanti's, Pamela's
New York, NY: Katz's Deli, Di Fara Pizza
Santa Fe, NM: Bobcat Bite, Tomasita's
Chicago, IL: Heaven on Seven, Morton's
Rhinecliff, NY: China Rose, Terrapin
Andover, MA: Harrison's Roast Beef, Benson Ice Cream
Berkeley, CA: Chez Panisse, Cha Am
Ithaca, NY: Moosewood, "Hot Truck"

These are not necessarily places where I ate frequently, nor the best places
in town, but I've been to all of them and they are representative. I tried to
stick with "road food"-style places, but not always successfully.
Sierra Explorer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/25 19:33:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

hmm....DC
Tough one, there are so many sides to our Nations Capital.

I'll do this, here's the government side, the Georgetownian side and the regular folk side of DC:

Government places -
#1 Old Ebbots Grill
#2 Bull Feathers/Capitol Lounge/Pour House/Hawk-N-Dove
(all places that cap hill staffers go, within about a small two block area of each other. they're all fairly similar and you get the same experience, except that Hawk-N-Dove is typically democrat and Bull Feather's is typically Republican and the others are a mix, so take your pick of these for #2)

Georgetownian:
#1 Nathan's - Expensive, nautical theme restaurant and saloon. Maybe you prefer Mr. Smith's Saloon two blocks away, but this place oozes the typical wealthy Georgetown.
#2 Chadwick's. Chadwick's is that classic joint where you always see people meeting in the movies. not all the Georgetown stuff is on M St.
(#3 Billy Martin's Tavern -hey, we're online, I can add a third!)

Where the locals go amidst tourists
#1 SW Waterfront - tourists never seem to walk here, yet it's so close to the Jefferson Memorial you wonder how they miss it. This is an old fish market who's time may be coming to a close.
#2 Eastern Market - tourists sometimes find this place by mistake. But locals rule in what is the last real city Market. Butchers, bakers, florists, farmers, the Market Lunch, with Tunniclifs across the street.

Sierra Explorer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/25 19:39:03 (permalink)
On the political side, you can't forget The Occidental, although it's about as authentic as The Old Ebbitt is these days -Name only.

Pity the most famous "politically famous" D.C. restaurant is long gone: Sans Souci on 15th Street, and then around the corner from the Treasury. It was where USSR Ambasssador Anatoly Dobrynin met with then ABC-TV State Department Correspondent to pass the messages which defused the Cuban Missle Crisis...

quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

hmm....DC
Tough one, there are so many sides to our Nations Capital.

I'll do this, here's the government side, the Georgetownian side and the regular folk side of DC:

Government places -
#1 Old Ebbots Grill
#2 Bull Feathers/Capitol Lounge/Pour House/Hawk-N-Dove
(all places that cap hill staffers go, within about a small two block area of each other. they're all fairly similar and you get the same experience, except that Hawk-N-Dove is typically democrat and Bull Feather's is typically Republican and the others are a mix, so take your pick of these for #2)

Georgetownian:
#1 Nathan's - Expensive, nautical theme restaurant and saloon. Maybe you prefer Mr. Smith's Saloon two blocks away, but this place oozes the typical wealthy Georgetown.
#2 Chadwick's. Chadwick's is that classic joint where you always see people meeting in the movies. not all the Georgetown stuff is on M St.
(#3 Billy Martin's Tavern -hey, we're online, I can add a third!)

Where the locals go amidst tourists
#1 SW Waterfront - tourists never seem to walk here, yet it's so close to the Jefferson Memorial you wonder how they miss it. This is an old fish market who's time may be coming to a close.
#2 Eastern Market - tourists sometimes find this place by mistake. But locals rule in what is the last real city Market. Butchers, bakers, florists, farmers, the Market Lunch, with Tunniclifs across the street.

lennonlover2005
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 62
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/26 00:27:48 (permalink)
Well I have to disagree somewhat from pcdiva's proclamation for Ann Arbor Michigan. She said "Ann Arbor, MI - Zingerman's Deli and The Blue Nile. Mile high sandwiches in a funky little shop with a great mail order business as well at Zingerman's. Or you can sit on the floor sharing communal plates of African/Moroccan cuisine at the Blue Nile (vegitarian or carnivore)! That's us!"

That is a view from someone who probably has not lived in Ann Arbor that long. I have lived here for almost 25 years.Ann Arbor used to be a cool place to eat, drink and be merry until all the flipping posers came and of course the damn yuppies!(who want to do away with any roadside food places!) Here are MY two places that represent my town...the real Ann Arbor! ( I do like those other restaurants...I like these places better!)

Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger

Link: http://www.leeandkristin.net/AnnArbor/Downtown/Blimpy1.html

Ann Arbor's original sliders!! Eat a Blimpyburger, and one way or
another, it'll stay with you all day. It starts with a walnut-sized
ball of ground chuck, cooked to order on the grill. This is no place
for the indecisive; you have your choice of a single, double, triple
or quad, served on a variety of bread, topped with any number of
cheeses, PLUS an overwhelming wealth of extras like grilled onion,
bacon, eggs, hot peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and black olives.
According to one local mathematician, there are over 240,000
possible combinations. Oof. Don't try 'em all at one sitting.

Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger, is at the corner of Packard and Division.
Their popular tagline says it all: "Cheaper than food since 1953."
This tiny diner-style burger joint offers up tasty, custom-made
burgers, deep fried veggies, and loads of attitude. Not for the weak
at heart (or anyone with cholesterol concerns), Blimpy's is
nevertheless Ann Arbor's favorite greasy spoon, and well worth
visiting.

551 S. Division (at Packard), Ann Arbor, MI
734 663 4590
Hours: Mon-Sat 11am-10pm. Sun. 12pm-8pm.

The Fleetwood Diner

A photo Link...http://jim.rees.org/fleet/

Hippie Hash
It's true. The sheer, boundless possibility that is dining in
downtown Ann Arbor can be daunting sometimes. Within a few city
blocks one can take a world-tour of cuisines, and explore a span of
epicurean styles from fancy to plain and back again. But when it's
three in the morning and you want some eggs or a burger, the choice
is clear: you go to the Fleetwood.

The cooks at the Fleetwood Diner have been slinging hash at the
corner of Ashley and Liberty Streets since 1949, when construction
was completed on this steel and porcelain "kit" diner trucked in
from Ohio. Back then it was called the Dagwood Diner and it's easy
to picture the farmers in their overalls staring furtively at the
bobby-soxed U-M coeds and their athletic dates as they all tucked
into their restorative all-American greasy spoon fare. The good
thing is that over 50 years later, not much appears to have changed
at the Fleetwood (the name was changed in 1971).

A meal at the Fleet is a quintessential diner experience-something
that's increasingly difficult to come by. Open 24 hours a day, every
day (with the exception of the occasional holiday), this is more
than a restaurant, it's a social hub for a huge variety of people.
Go there on a Saturday morning and it'll be packed with couples
reading the paper, families, budding or grizzled hippies, academic
types sitting up at the counter reading Nietzsche, and everyone
doing some serious eating. Go there on a Saturday night, late, and
the age bracket drops considerably as students and the elite of Ann
Arbor's black-clad, spike-haired artist-ocracy put in their orders,
chatting with the occasional trucker.

Food at the Fleetwood Diner is, as one might expect, is no-frills,
hot as blazes and delicately flavored with whatever else has been on
the grill all day. This is a good thing. Come here for all manner of
eggs, bacon, sausage, etc., burgers the way you want them, greasy
fries, BLTs, tuna sandwiches and more. Don't miss the Fleet's most
famous meal, Hippie Hash, a dizzying fry-up of shredded potatoes,
onions, tomatoes, and broccoli all bound together with feta cheese
and some kind of meat if you want it.

Have we mentioned that this place is tiny? This makes for some great
eavesdropping opportunities and a chance to strike up a conversation
with some of Ann Arbor's most colorful people. If cigarette smoke
gets to you, then (weather permitting) get a seat outside under the
awning-the service is just as good. The waitstaff will even bring a
bowl of ice for your dog on a hot day.

History:

The Fleetwood was manufactured by the Dagwood Diner Company of
Toledo, Ohio in 1948. Unlike most classic diners, it was shipped as
a kit, not as a complete ready-to-cook unit.

The Fleetwood was bought and built by Donald Reid. He petitioned the
city for a change in the building code, which at that time did not
allow porcelain and steel construction. Construction was started in
the fall of 1948 and was complicated by the closing of the Dagwood
Diner Company before the diner was finished. Costs totaled $14,000,
and the diner opened in March of 1949 as the Dagwood Diner. Two
months later Reid placed tables on the sidewalk and opened Ann
Arbor's first sidewalk cafe.

There is another Dagwood diner located in Erie, Michigan, but has
been remodeled beyond recognition. A Dagwood near the corner of
Monroe and Secor in Toledo closed in 1963. There may have been as
many as a half dozen Dagwoods. There is more about Dagwood at the
Lake Erie Region Dining Car Companies page.

Reid sold the diner to Robert Brown in 1966 and died in 1978. Mark
Hodesh bought the Dagwood in 1971 and renamed it the Fleetwood.
Hodesh later returned to Ann Arbor and now owns Downtown Home &
Garden, across the street. Former cooks Chris Andrews and Bill Close
owned the place in the mid-1980s. The Fleetwood is currently owned
by George Fotiadis and Adi Demiri, who bought it in 1992. It is
always open, except for occasional holidays. (Smoking is allowed)

The Fleetwood Diner is located at 300 South Ashley, at Liberty, 734-
995-5502. It's always open.

wtgriffin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/30 02:16:35 (permalink)
Easy decision for me for my beloved, adopted hometown of San Antonio. I came down here thinking I would live here for about six months. 35 pounds, 20 years and five sizes in my waist later, here I am.

But as far as representing San Antonio, I have two places to visit if you want to find the essence of America's greatest city. Come here for a few months if you disagree.

1. For Tex-Mex, you must go to Henry's Puffy Tacos. 815 Bandera Rd. I'm sure anybody who would go to the place has likely heard about the taco race at the San Antonio Missions' game. But it's so much more than that. I like to judge San Antonio restaurants on their cheese enchilida plate as the best way to determine their goodness. This place wins for that - and everything else. Unbeliveable Tex-Mex food. Well worth the drive off the River Walk, trust me.

2. For Texan food, got to go to the Tip-Top at 2814 Fredericksburg Rd. I have not had anybody in my department at work who hasn't gotten a gift certificate for their marriage without a meal at this place. It reminds me of the restaurants that the Three Stooges used to eat at at their restaurants. But the food is awesome. Great chicken-fried steak, great home-made veggies, great home-made rolls and especially great desserts like cream pie and fried apple pies. I can't tell the Roadfooders how good this place is !!!

Trust me, you'll like both.

tg
georgiadawgs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/30 14:26:19 (permalink)
Having lived several places...

Lansing, MI. Typical gritty, industrial factory town, throw in that you have MSU nearby and its the state capital so there is somewhat a mix of upscale and hole-in-the wall blue collar joints. The hole-in-the wall's are by far the best places to eat there.
1. Deluca's Pizza - AWESOME Pizza, down the road from a GM Plant, not a very nice neighborhood, just don't stray from the parking lot and you should be ok
2. Art's Bar - Great pizza and burgers, just watch out for the hookers and crackheads in the parking lot
3. Dispatch Lounge - Great pizza and bar food, great atmosphere, like everything else in Lansing...70's lounge decor, walls full of softball team trophies and pictures of the owner and local celebrities, and cheap beer, they just do it better than most places!
4. Clara's - Old train station, very large selection, have yet to be disappointed with anything on the menu!
5. Emil's Pizza - Great Italian food period!

East Lansing, MI. Michigan State University, AWESOME college town, HUGE college town...50,000+ college students
1. Crunchy's - THE hangout, GREAT burgers, BUCKETS O' BEER...need i say more?
2. Sparty's Coney Island - Great coney dogs...Flint and Detroit style, the best chili-cheese fries
3. Beggars Banquet - More upscale, great food, atmosphere and staff
4. Harrison Roadhouse - Just all around awesome place to eat and hangout
5. El Azteco - Some reservations about this choice...It used to be THE best mexican food joint in the Lansing area, but last couple times i've been there it seems to have gone to hell in a handbasket...Haven't been in a while, hopefully those couple times were just a fluke

georgiadawgs
Junior Burger
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/30 14:41:08 (permalink)
never lived here, but lived nearby in Killeen, visited Austin as often as possible...

Austin, TX
1. Stubbs - AWESOME BBQ, great live bands, AWESOME PLACE
2. Cattle Company Steakhouse - Classic Texas steakhouse, no phoney baloney fake chain restaurant "steakhouse" type atmosphere, this is the real deal, AWESOME food too!
georgiadawgs
Junior Burger
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/30 16:30:52 (permalink)
Atlanta, GA, as far as representing GA, I would have to say:
1. Applebee's
2. The Wal-Mart Deli

Since that is about 90% of what you find in GA, Wal-Mart's and chain restaurants and stores, then I would say those 2 probably best represent.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1