The two places that best represent your town

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 6 of 10
Author
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/04/30 18:04:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by georgiadawgs

Atlanta, GA, as far as representing GA, I would have to say:
1. Applebee's
2. The Wal-Mart Deli

Since that is about 90% of what you find in GA, Wal-Mart's and chain restaurants and stores, then I would say those 2 probably best represent.

Hmm, is there a way of driving "around" Georgia rather than driving "thru" it?
trudyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/05/01 22:35:37 (permalink)
Thank you for such a great response to the thread. I hope we can keep it going for a while longer.
vlvo544grl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/05/02 00:05:14 (permalink)
Colorado Springs, CO

We're the chain restaurant capital of the west...but I have a few places I love.

1. The Warehouse - not roadfood, but brew their own beer and serve GREAT wild game.

2. Shuga's - funky little place with unique food combinations and the best lavender lemonade around.

3. Conways Red Top - best hamburger joint around.

4. B&B in Castle Rock (about 40 miles north between Denver and CoSprings). Always a line for breakfast. Smothered breakfast burrito is the best - get the green chili with pork to smother it with.
SteveInAthens
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/05/02 11:23:40 (permalink)
For Athens, GA I would have to say

1) The Grit - representing the hippie, vegan, oh so hip crowd, and
2) The Grill - representing the meat-eating football fans.

-Tricky-
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 305
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/05/02 13:43:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JuanKerr

In my neck(s) of the woods:

Weirton, WV
-----------
Di Carlos Pizza - All the independent pizza places round here make exactly the same kind of pie, square pieces with not much (but pungent) cheese and generous pepperoni. There are signs up suggesting they'll put a very limited choice of other (vegetable) toppings on if you ask, but I've never seen anyone dare yet. Di Carlos is the best of them. The attached restaurant, Mario's, is average to good italian food at really reasonable prices. Not representative though.

Mugsy's - The one on the hill that used to be a Dairy Queen. By no means the best eats in town, but it wouldn't be a representative post without an establishment which doesn't have those pernicious video poker machines. Without going into complete rant mode, I'm almost ready to photoshop up some 'Visit West Virginia (and more!)' posters for the tourist board. But I digress, as far as I can tell Mugsy's still use the same DQ equipment, but prepare the stuff with care and at least the machines are hidden in (also pleasant) bar in the back. Very good fries.

What about The Dinor? Or did it really close? (I keep hoping that that was a rumor.) The Dinor probably deserves at least one of my good grades for all of the nights I spent studying for Chem or Math exams there...
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/05/02 13:58:09 (permalink)
Just from observing things here in the Mrytle Beach area, I would have to say Pancake House's and Seafood Buffet restaurants are the 2 biggest.
Of course, being in a beachside heavy tourist area does have it's drawbacks.

But, on the other hand, there are some very nice, fine restaurants. But as far as representing what the town offers to the neophyte traveler venturing here, it has to be the abundance of the 2 mentioned above.
Now, as far as the "type" of food that this area represents, it would be any type of seafood.
It seems that we don't have any particular "local" out of the ordinary cuisine to add.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/05/10 11:05:54 (permalink)
Hope there are some more folks who can enlighten us.
curried bluebonnet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/05/10 20:45:54 (permalink)
We are all about chains here in The Woodlands, TX (a planned community--aka "fairy bubble" just north of Houston). I do not get to eat in Houston to give info, though I would hope there would be good BBQ. But i agree with extremeglow--as a native St/Louisan the Italian specialities on The Hill, (toasted ravioli) would best represent. Sure Steak and Shake, though a chain. What about good old St.Louis pizza--Imos, Cecils,etc. And any bakery with gooey butter cake and then of course, Ted Drewes frozen custard all scream ST. Louis.--'course some are not really restaraunts.
katieoaks
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/05/13 12:15:54 (permalink)
In Ispwich, it's The Clam Box, known throgh-out the world for it fried clams, clam-box shaped building and long lines. Clams as such an important industry in this small town. Hundreds of clammers support their families by digging, several processing plants provide employment and numerous restarants sell tons of fried clams, bringing toursits in droves to visit and spend theire hard earned money here.

The other restaurant would have been The Riverview for pizza(it's all they serve)which too is world-reknown, but sadly it was sold a few years ago and the quality has gone down-hill.

So the second choice is The Choate Bridge Pub. "The Pub" as we locals call it, is where we local eat. A wide variety of items from pizza, grilled meats and seafood has something for everyone and it is always consistent.
lucassal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/05/16 19:24:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Extreme Glow

Would that be the two that I would wish represent or that do actually represent?

For actually representing St. Louis, I would have to say Steak And Shake, with 34 locations, does represent the city. Number two would be any of several Italian places on The Hill.

Based upon posts to Roadfood and other sites, my opinion is that out-of-towners seem to know about The Hill and not much else foodwise. Not that that is a bad thing.
lucassal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/05/16 19:26:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Extreme Glow

Would that be the two that I would wish represent or that do actually represent?

For actually representing St. Louis, I would have to say Steak And Shake, with 34 locations, does represent the city. Number two would be any of several Italian places on The Hill.

Based upon posts to Roadfood and other sites, my opinion is that out-of-towners seem to know about The Hill and not much else foodwise. Not that that is a bad thing.

St. Louis is not where I currently live, but it's where I grew up, and Steak and Shake is definitely representative. I would add Imo's Pizza since it is unique to St. Louis and Lombardo's toasted ravioli.
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1038
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/05/16 19:43:05 (permalink)
Most places I've lived have been covered already, except my hometown of Muncie, Indiana. Muncie is best represented by:

Pizza King – A regional chain started in Muncie. It has been the subject of a number of long chains of postings here already. It is best known for using barbeque sauce on its pizzas and for finely chopping up the toppings and spreading them out evenly over the whole pizza “good to the edge.”

Burkie’s Drive-in – Best known for breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches, a subject that has been beaten to death here at Roodfood.
Yazziegirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/05/20 14:37:26 (permalink)
Klamath County (Klamath Falls), Oregon is not known for it's wonderful food,
But in fact we have 2 wonderful little gems in the city of KFalls and a third about 22 miles north on highway 97 (on the way to Bend, OR). The two in town are Siam Thai- a little dive in a strip mall at 1777 Washburn Way. They have wonderful, inexpensive Thai food. It's very small and quite popular. Nothing fancy here but the fabulous food.

The other place in town is Nibbley's, They are at 2650 Washburn Way. They hare open for breakfast and lunch only. They're also in a strip mall. Their food is creative and delicious. Their soups are wonderful. they also make spectacular desserts.

The third place is on the highway north of town about 22 miles on highway 97. (It's closed throughout every winter.) It is called River's Bend Café. It is right on the Williamson River. It always has trucks, locals and some tourists stopping in. The food is American Diner- but oh so good! Great burgers, sandwiches, fries (from scratch!), and killer pies. The place is small, but truly worth a stop on your way to Crater Lake or Bend, OR.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/06/03 00:08:18 (permalink)
Welcome to Roadfood, Yazzie. Always glad to see another Oregonian on the board.
JuanKerr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/06/11 21:20:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by -Tricky-

What about The Dinor? Or did it really close? (I keep hoping that that was a rumor.) The Dinor probably deserves at least one of my good grades for all of the nights I spent studying for Chem or Math exams there...

It's still open, though it has changed hands 3 times in the last 5 years and isn't as good as it was by all accounts (though the one time I've been since returning to the US it did an acceptable quick burger).

It now has a very grotty, quickly thrown together but very large "nightclub" opposite it and hence is getting a new lease of life. This is also why I'm reluctant to visit again; the growth industries in Weirton these days are trucking and stripping (even the video poker machine boom has tailed off), and I'm just too nervous about running into a stripping trucker there.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/06/16 16:49:26 (permalink)
This would be Columbia, SC, and I would vote for Lizard's Thicket, which is a local meat-and-three chain. Not spellbindingly good food (I describe Jestine's Kitchen in Charleston as being Lizard's Thicket in Heaven), but really consistent and a welcome alternative to drive-through burgers. We have six or eight outlets in town, and I just noticed one in Greenville and one up toward the Asheville way. For faster food, we have another eight or so Rush's Hamburgers, which are really quite good. It's a pleasure to never have to go to a national chain here, since both are nearly as widely available as Applebee's or McDonald's.

You'd also have to say something about barbecue, since this is the area where the three regional areas come together so you can get all three somewhere, but there's no one chain or place (suck on that a while, Maurice) that dominates.
richarmw
Junior Burger
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/06/18 09:44:53 (permalink)
TAKOMA PARK, MARYLAND: stereotyped as a land of birkenstock wearing aging hippie artists and activists, it is, of course, more diverse than that. And its diversity is best represented by Mark's Kitchen. Its got all the diner stuff (bacon and eggs, burgers, club sandwiches), but also does versions of it that appeal to the vegan crowd (tempe and eggs, eg.). All its juices are fresh-squeezed. Its owner is a Korean-American (Mark) who also offers some Korean-accented Asiana -- such as bulgoki (or a fusion special -bulgoki steak and cheese sandwich). Good pies and Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream on the menu.

Across the street, a life-long local resident named Greg has been running "Summer Delights" for a couple of years. He features homemade ice cream (including one-shot flavors that were created when local youth groups, such as a scout troop, got a tour and made a batch.) He has added fresh baked (but from frozen H&H dought) bagels and deli to improve non-seasonal cash flow. The walls are covered with pictures of local kids sports teams etc.
Kepi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/06/18 19:10:44 (permalink)
In Fort Worth, most people would say Joe T. Garcia's for Tex-Mex, and Kincaid's for a good burger. And those are great recommendations. However, I would steer you towards La Familia on Foch St west of downtown for the absolute best Tex-Mex in FW. I'm also partial to the cheeseburger, hand-cut fries, and outstanding pies at Dixie House (four locations: Belknap St, Lancaster Ave, Blue Mound Rd, and Airport Fwy).
tgfny
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/06/24 20:20:27 (permalink)
Macon, GA
1. Fincher's Barbecue- Have had it in over 20 states and 6 countries. Still my favorite barbecue in the world.
2. Nu-Way Weiners- I'd go a long way for a Nu-Way. Great chili dogs, but stick to the original on Cotton Ave.

Atlanta, GA
1. The Varsity- classic Atlanta institution.
2. Harold's Barbecue- hard by the pen, they make some great 'cue.

Nashville, TN
1. Loveless Cafe- just says Nashvegas.
2. SATCO- great dirty Tex-Mex.

New York, NY
1. Blue Ribbon- Classic New York, everything from Chicken Wings to foie gras, fried chicken to pigeon, and it is all amazing.
2. Daniel- Classic, international dining.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/06/24 21:16:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by blgpts

In columbus ohio, where we go frequently, there is a place called "quaker steak and Lube" which is very interesting, and all the food is homemade, including their very own potato chips. Its a very unique place, and I don't know the address, but its very, very near the polaris mall.

Just so you know, and not in any way diminishing your experience there, Quaker Steak and Lube is a fairly good sized chain. 20 lcoations according to the website
http://www.thelube.com/default_in.html
http://www.quakersteakandlube.com/default.asp?fldLocation=columbus&fldPageType=directions

Another spot in columbus is called "Salvi's Bistro". If you want really good Italian, thats where to go. And again, they make everything themselves.
max4951
Junior Burger
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/06/25 12:44:02 (permalink)
Tulsa Oklahoma is probably best represented by two places from the far ends of the spectrum.
The Metro Diner is a true Route 66 landmark. It's been around since the 1940's, Stainless and Neon, all the goodies, burgers, fries, chicken fried steak.In a town full of diners and cafe's this is the one we take the tourist to visit.
At the other end of the scale, both in price and class, Michel Fusco's "Flavors"- What can I say Great Chief, Great place.

But now if you're in SE Oklahoma, DO NOT, under penalty of death miss "Pete's Place" in Krebbs (just east of McAlester about 2 miles).This is the absolute best Italian food in Oklahoma- don't miss the "Chock" beer either, it brewed by them from back before Oklahoma went wet.
cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/06/26 03:12:49 (permalink)
Currently representing SAN DIEGO. As far as my tastes right now and how they go along with the rest of the area:

1. Tacos El Gordo-- originated in TJ, with locations in Chula Vista. Known for tacos adobada (spicy pork on a spit marinated with pineapple and add a guac sauce on top). The most slammin' taco on the planet.

2. Phil's BBQ-- mesquite grilled ribs in a tangy sauce. Had a dream it was human flesh, something about Aztecs and cannibalism. Anyways, this meat is pretty tasty. 2 hour wait on the weekend, 1/2 hour weekdays. Great location in Mission Hills. The owner greets everyone at the door. Smells like summer (not the owner; the bbq).

Honorable mentions:
Blue Water Grill-- GRILLED fresh fish sandwiches. The mahi mahi is to die for. Unreal wahoo. Meaty raw oysters. Way better than Point Loma, even though I like them as well.
Los Arcos- Seafood in TJ. Sounds dubious, but an absolute find. Any cabbie will direct you there. Shrimp prepared 100 different ways. Well-heeled, celebratory atmosphere.
Akins Deli-- sad to say, but as good as any East Coast deli.
El Pescador-- another grilled fish sandwich place. This one in La Jolla. Where Blue Water Grill's owner honed his skills.
Las Quatro Milpas-- a local secret. Lines out the door. Only open until 3. Located in Barrio Logan, the hub of Mexican-American culture. Authentic tamales, tacos, rolled tacos (my favorite). They make their own tortillas (rubbery, chewy, and almost transparent). I'll eat a dozen on my way home. Quite a dedicated following.
Rubio's-- best fish tacos. Best chain I've been to.
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/06/26 09:20:28 (permalink)
I have watched this thread but now must put in my two cents. My little town doesn't eveen have a restaurant...not a single one.
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 220
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/07/08 21:29:14 (permalink)
For Pittsburgh, it's gotta be Primanti's and Pierogi from St. John's Ukrainian church in southside. My grandma actually started the pierogi selling in churches there in the 40's or 50's (she tells me). Isaly's in West View has an awesome Slammer though.
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2346
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/07/09 03:17:02 (permalink)
Waukesha Wisconsin again.

Albanese's Deli. Hot & cold sandwiches, lasagne, rav's, soups, salads, and a small grocery section. Just off Hwy 18 near the Target, right across the street from Sam's Club.

Portabello mushroom ravioli. Spinach lasagne. Albo Bomber sandwich. Italian Wedding soup, although their cream of mushroom soup is good too & their best one is the one they never make anymore, the osso buco. YUM.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/07/19 04:31:20 (permalink)
Anyone else?
spicoli
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/07/20 11:54:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lauriedi

What a fun topic- I've enjoyed reading about everyone's towns and places to eat. I need to get going on the next road trip!

Don't forget the towns in the Bay Area other than SF and SJ... believe it or not, we do have some good road food too! Here's my list from "my" towns.

Fremont/Centerville=The town has changed so much in the past 25 years-so I can't say what represents it now (I've heard it's considered one of the most multicultural towns in the country-the "hole-in-the-wall" food choices are astounding), but the pies at Nation's and sandwiches at Muchner Haus Deli have stood the test of time (too bad Cloverdale Creamery is gone!).

Grew up in Fremont so I might be able to contribute to that. In terms of what best represents the local preferences, I'd go with the Country Way - a Fremont institution with HUGE breakfasts that are actually pretty good, though us Fremonters tend to prefer quantity anyway.
Can't really comment on the Indian restaurants, but a second choice representative of the recent flux of Eastern/Southern Asian arrivals could be Wok City diner in Warm Springs. Good Chinese Food, located in a strip mall. When I think Fremont, it's hard not to think of strip malls. There are really a lot of quality ethnic restaurants (Mexican, Vietnamese, Indian, Japanese, Chinese), and some good American ones as well, though unfortunately, Elephant Bar and Outback always seem to be crowded anyways.

As for San Francisco, I think it's important not to neglect the role burritos play in the local cuisine, and Pancho Villa's may be best representative of SF as a whole.- High Quality, Fresh Ingredients, but somewhat overpriced. Still, burritos are the representative SF street food.

Second choice for me may be the Tadich Grill. Lots of seafood and has become somewhat of a tourist trap, but still, a longtime SF institution.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/07/20 12:24:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kepi

In Fort Worth, most people would say Joe T. Garcia's for Tex-Mex, and Kincaid's for a good burger. And those are great recommendations. However, I would steer you towards La Familia on Foch St west of downtown for the absolute best Tex-Mex in FW. I'm also partial to the cheeseburger, hand-cut fries, and outstanding pies at Dixie House (four locations: Belknap St, Lancaster Ave, Blue Mound Rd, and Airport Fwy).

We have a La Familia here as well(used to have 2 until Subway took one of them over)that serves Cuban food. Great pressed sandwiches. They get their bread from Ybor City daily.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/07/20 14:55:53 (permalink)
Ok,

In line with the cincy bunch, I agree about the cincy style chili, camp washington is my favorite, but i have lived at our local skyline during the summer back when i was in HS. (Ok at least 4 times a week now)

As for my second choice..... The Precinct, yes it can be pricey (not compared to J Ruby's downtown) but the atmosphere and food are always top notch. I have eaten in there with construction workers all the way to rock stars you never know who is going to be there.

Mont. Inn may be the "Ribs King" but boiled and sauced is not any way to treat a rib.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
RE: The two places that best represent your town 2006/07/20 15:16:54 (permalink)
Mexico Beach, Florida

The Fish House - Mama makes an awesome seafood chowder, thick and creamy and you never know what kind of seafood chunk you are going to find. Plus the gator bites as an appetizer yummers!!

Killer Seafood - Their fish tacos are out of this world, plus great local seafood. Their key lime pie is homemade and deeeeee lish us.

Port St Joe, Florida - Sunset Coastal Grill great local seafood dishes, great gumbo, awesome view.

Panama City, Florida - Big City Fish... I have tried almost everything on the menu and I haven't found a bad one yet.

Glenn's BBQ - a small family run place. grease running down the chimbly, not much to look at, but good que. their idea of a bbq chicken sandwich, 1/2 a qued chix and 2 slices of bread. I'm a big eater but durn that was a lot of food.

St Joe Beach/Beacon Hill, Florida - Reagan's Oyster Pub, fresh oysters and shrimp. you know it is gonna be good when the parking lot is covered in bits of broken oyster shells.

The Wonder Bar - FRESH gulf coastal eats, and the "SAMOBAND"
The local band been there so long they changed their name its the
same old band - SAMOBAND.
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 6 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1