The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The world's BEST soup ?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 7 of 11, messages 181 to 210 of 320
iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sat, 01/5/08 7:49 PM (permalink)
My own homemade old-fashioned Southern-style vegetable beef soup !

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sat, 01/5/08 8:53 PM (permalink)
    Rubyroses french onion
    My chicken and dumpling
    My 15 bean soup w/hambone
    George Webbs Chicken Noodle Soup
    CajunKings Gumbo

californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
      RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sat, 01/5/08 9:53 PM (permalink)
      would have to put in a vote for the cream of mushroom at Pal's Cabin in WEst Orange New Jersey...silky , smooth ,a bit of beefy taste to temper the cream- its been rightly famous for years and years

MiamiDon

RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 01/6/08 7:32 AM (permalink)
        The only memorable soups I have had (outside of my own) were the New England style conch chowder at the Pier House in Key West, and the red conch chowder at Monty Trainer's in Coconut Grove. Also, the Creole Onion soup at Commander's Palace in New Orleans.

I love a good french onion soup, but I cannot remember when I had one that was done very well.

Sundancer7

RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 01/6/08 7:37 AM (permalink)
          I had some great she crab soup at Basnight's Lone Cedar near Kitty Hawk, NC. The crab meat was abundant and very sweet. It was super and the view was equally as good.

Best soup I ever had.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: The world's BEST soup ? Mon, 01/7/08 9:14 AM (permalink)
            "CajunKing dances a jig - Happy he made somebody's list"

Thank You Ann

cometomaine

• Total Posts: 1
              RE: The world's BEST soup ? Mon, 01/7/08 9:34 AM (permalink)
              My mothers home made pea and ham soupand Baxters broccoli and stilton

Barney

• Total Posts: 115
                RE: The world's BEST soup ? Mon, 01/7/08 10:07 AM (permalink)
                Got to agree with Sundancer....Basnight's Lone Cedar restaurant gets my vote for the best she crab soup....rich, hearty and full of delicious crab! I always make several trips there during visits to the Outer Banks, NC. for this soup + fabulous crab cakes!

In VA Beach, the Lynnhaven Fish House has some very tasty she crab soup as well.

Jaybird1000

• Total Posts: 27
                  RE: The world's BEST soup ? Mon, 01/7/08 10:27 AM (permalink)
                  The Tom Yum Gai at The Thai Place place in Overland Park, Ks.
                  gets my vote!

thediningroom

• Total Posts: 84
                    RE: The world's BEST soup ? Tue, 01/8/08 1:57 AM (permalink)
                    My Lobster Mushroom Bisque

EJXD2

• Total Posts: 36
                      RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 08/6/08 12:26 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by cjrudi

Albondigas - (spicy meatball soup) I make it with lots of garlic and cilantro! MMMMMMMMMmmmm (I figured out the recipe from a restaurant in Palmdale, CA, then tweeked it.)

What's the restaurant in Palmdale? I'll be there August 7-10 and definitely looking to roadfood it up in the desert (Lancaster included).

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
                        RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 08/6/08 12:36 PM (permalink)
                        no contest....the She-Crab soup at the The Sea Captains House
                        in Myrtle Beach.

The soup is so good, the recipe has been published in Southern
                        Living TWICE!!! perhaps the only recipe with that distinction.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                          RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 08/6/08 1:24 PM (permalink)
                          So easy! Egg Drop Won Ton Mixed Soup with homemade table noodles and duck sauce ..Any really good Cantonese restaurant in Brooklyn, NY

rikshaw

• Total Posts: 9
                            RE: The world's BEST soup ? Thu, 08/7/08 5:23 AM (permalink)
                            My vote is for the goulash soup from Zum Stamtish in Queens, NY!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                              RE: The world's BEST soup ? Thu, 08/7/08 7:25 AM (permalink)
                              The Italian Wedding soup my mom when we were kids in the 50's, made with a fresh from the butcher chicken!!

KingCrab

• Total Posts: 122
                                RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 08/27/08 11:43 AM (permalink)
                                My favorites:

1)Stone Crab Bisque - Joes Seafood, Prime Steaks & Stone Crab - Chicago
                                2) Gumbo - Cajun Connection - Utica, IL.
                                3) She Crab Soup - Charlies Crab - Hilton Head Island, SC.

honorable mention: my own clam chowder, cream of broccoli, gumbo, french onion, navy bean

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                                  RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 08/27/08 11:48 AM (permalink)
                                  I just got turned on to the wild rice soup at a local eatery here in Minot, ND.

A cream base, wild rice, teeny bit of celery, onion, carrot, and smoked duck. Finished, it's fairly thick, like a chowder. And the wild rice and duck fit eachother like a hand and glove. Very much a heavenly bowl of comfort food.

wmceaton

• Total Posts: 313
                                    RE: The world's BEST soup ? Fri, 09/12/08 5:27 PM (permalink)
                                    My split pea & ham (made with ham that I smoke for Thanksgiving).

I used to get the ginger carrot soup @ the General Glover near Slaem, MA...but I am pretty sure that it is closed by now.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                      RE: The world's BEST soup ? Fri, 09/12/08 5:41 PM (permalink)
                                      I also have had a wonderful cream of mushroom soup made with sherry at the Holy Hill cafe in Hubertus, Wi.Buffetbuster can vouch for their pies, anyway!

MTFoodie

• Total Posts: 41
                                        RE: The world's BEST soup ? Fri, 09/12/08 11:30 PM (permalink)
                                        My faves
                                        in North Dakota at my Grandparents Knoephla Soup at the local diner(see forum Knoephla soup, through a google search lead me to this wonderful site)
                                        otherwise my mom's vegetable soup
                                        My dad's home canned Garden blend soup --- made from veggies from his garden. Which could be thickened to be put over rice or thinned to make into a soup w/ hamburger or left over beef pot roast. But sadly there is no more Garden Blend since he passed away a few yrs ago. The whole family was sad when we opened the last can of his Garden Blend after he died.

Tractatus

• Total Posts: 1
                                          RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 11/9/08 1:16 PM (permalink)
                                          Great topic. The best soup in the world, for me, is Cullen Skink, a Scottish delicacy. Baxters do a canned version, but it's easy to make at home. All you need is haddock, onions, potatoes, cream/milk, a good stock and seasoning to include a bay leaf. Wonderful comfort food!

tracy20

• Total Posts: 75
                                            RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 11/9/08 1:24 PM (permalink)
                                            My very own french onion soup that takes all day to make- my family insist I make this at least tree times a year! It is heavenly... I have to go to a specialty liquor store to get the 52.00 bottle of port that goes in it!!

Mel54

• Total Posts: 22
                                              RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 11/9/08 1:57 PM (permalink)
                                              My father's French onion soup.

The artichoke soup at Duartes in Pescadero.

The curry chicken noodle soup at a Burmese restaurant in Oakland, Calif. (forgot the name; it may be defunct)

The laksa soup at the Singapore aiport.

And, not as good as the previous two, but close: the Malaysian curry noodle soup (with tofu) at Green Papaya in River Edge, N.J.

Mel54

RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 11/9/08 2:11 PM (permalink)
                                                Oh yeah ... the Burmese restaurant was Nan Yang, which is now in Rockridge. I can't testify that they still make curry chicken noodle soup, but from what I saw on the Web, it looks like the same place, formerly in Oakland.

Also, good Vietnamese pho ... again, some place in Oakland in the late '80s made it great.

Ah, Oakland -- the mecca of foodies on a budget (at least in the '80s when I lived there).

Mel54

RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 11/9/08 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                                  Ok -- one more. (Hey, I love soup!)

The pistou my husband and I had at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant somewhere in the south of France during our low-budget round-the-world trip in 1987-88. We had just retrieved a cache of letters from the local American Express office, and ate cheap soup and bread and drank rose wine while reading our letters from home. The memories ...

One of the old Sunset Magazine "best of" recipe books has a good recipe for pistou ... a soup that I never see at American restaurants. (Basically a chicken broth-and-vegetable soup with basil and gruyere cheese.)

Freezerburned

• Total Posts: 3
                                                    RE: The world's BEST soup ? Sun, 11/9/08 2:38 PM (permalink)
                                                    It's a tie:
                                                    The Spicy Seafood Soup at Hana Reum- a Korean market in Catonsville Md. Don't let anyone tell you there is no cure for the common cold.

My own Roasted Garlic Chicken Noodle Soup.

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
                                                      RE: The world's BEST soup ? Wed, 11/26/08 4:18 AM (permalink)
                                                      World's best soup for me has to be the Lobster Bisque at the Saxonburg Inn, Saxonburg, PA just north of Pittsburgh. I rate all other bisques to this one and only a couple have come close.

Tommy B

• Total Posts: 144
                                                        • Location: Parsippany, NJ
                                                        RE: The world's BEST soup ? Thu, 11/27/08 8:07 AM (permalink)
                                                        My favorite clam chowder is from a company called Chincoteague Seafood Company. Clams are the first ingredient, and I just think they got the best tasting chowder.

I'm working hard to develop a delicious Philly Cheesesteak Chowder for my cheesesteak business.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                                          • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
                                                          RE: The world's BEST soup ? Thu, 11/27/08 8:59 AM (permalink)

All Asian soups work for me, but I lean to and can make a good Tom Ka Gai.

===I'm working hard to develop a delicious Philly Cheesesteak Chowder for my cheesesteak business.===

At one restaurant the sous chef made a real good cheeseburger soup that I have since made as a quick go-to soup. It's simplicity in execution was complimented by how good it tasted.

mark

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                                            • Location: McKinney, TX
                                                            RE: The world's BEST soup ? Thu, 11/27/08 9:49 AM (permalink)
                                                            Lobster Bisque at The Prime Rib, K St., WDC. http://www.theprimerib.com/

Fire-Roasted Tortilla Soup at Jason's Deli. http://www.jasonsdeli.com/

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 7 of 11, messages 181 to 210 of 320

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com