The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The worst Pizza

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
The worst Pizza Tue, 10/5/04 1:52 PM (permalink)
There are all kinds of posts about who makes the best, but is there any such thing as a bad pizza? I have had good, very good,excellent, and maybe the best, but I can't recall ever getting bad one. I'm talking legitimate store made pizza here, not some premade or frozen junk.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
    RE: The worst Pizza Tue, 10/5/04 3:53 PM (permalink)
    Village Pizza in Bernalillo, New Mexico. I actually became a food writer because I was having a conversation with the food editor at the alt-weekly I worked for (in the music department) about how godawful this pizza was that I'd had the night before, and she stopped me halfway and said, "Would you like to work for me?"

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6208
      RE: The worst Pizza Tue, 10/5/04 3:59 PM (permalink)
      Any pizza in South Boston. A mecca for BAD, nasty, greasy, gloppy pizza.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: The worst Pizza Tue, 10/5/04 4:06 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by tmiles

There are all kinds of posts about who makes the best, but is there any such thing as a bad pizza? I have had good, very good,excellent, and maybe the best, but I can't recall ever getting bad one. I'm talking legitimate store made pizza here, not some premade or frozen junk.

Vitales Pizza Ada, Michigan leads the pack!

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3548
          RE: The worst Pizza Tue, 10/5/04 4:27 PM (permalink)
          Little Ceasars.........yucky yucky!

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
            RE: The worst Pizza Tue, 10/5/04 4:33 PM (permalink)
            The North Woods of Wisconsin and Minnesota. I've never had a decent pizza there...ever! The only thing they get right is the cheese. That's it.

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
              RE: The worst Pizza Wed, 10/6/04 10:17 AM (permalink)
              Oh, Papa Johns is the example I can call to memory. 7-11 pizza tastes better than that stuff.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
                RE: The worst Pizza Wed, 10/6/04 10:28 AM (permalink)
                Actually, there is already a fairly vitriolic thread on this subject: http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1339

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                  RE: The worst Pizza Wed, 10/6/04 10:28 AM (permalink)

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
                    RE: The worst Pizza Wed, 10/6/04 10:30 AM (permalink)
                    http://www.chachich.com/mdchachi/jpizza.html

"Ideal Taste of Sea Goodness and Mayonnaise!"

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                      RE: The worst Pizza Wed, 10/6/04 12:08 PM (permalink)

IansMom

• Total Posts: 394
                        RE: The worst Pizza Wed, 10/6/04 12:21 PM (permalink)
                        Israeli pizza.. carboard, tomato paste and kosher, half frozen cheese.. mmmm mighty fine eating

i95

RE: The worst Pizza Wed, 10/6/04 1:55 PM (permalink)

Pizza MREs ??...

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: The worst Pizza Wed, 10/6/04 7:11 PM (permalink)
                            Pizza in the Seattle WA area.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3548
                              RE: The worst Pizza Wed, 10/6/04 7:41 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by IansMom

Israeli pizza.. carboard, tomato paste and kosher, half frozen cheese.. mmmm mighty fine eating

Some of the best pizza I ever had was at Rimini Pizza on Mt. Carmel in Haifa!

MikoEats

• Total Posts: 57
                                RE: The worst Pizza Wed, 10/6/04 9:40 PM (permalink)
                                I think the main chains are terrible. Domino's, Pizza Hut. This stuff does not even resemble pizza; every element of it is different. But then, I come from New Jersey.

My second nomination would be Pizza Lunchables. What is the matter with kids, that they would want to eat a cold, sweetish disc of dough with cold bland red sauce, processed grated cheese, and sick-looking pink pepperoni discs? The power of marketing. Yeeuch.

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
                                  RE: The worst Pizza Fri, 10/8/04 9:33 PM (permalink)
                                  I know i'm sad but I like 'Chefboyardee' and 'Appian Way' pizza.

One of the hardships of living in a small West Virginian town.

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
                                    RE: The worst Pizza Mon, 10/11/04 9:12 AM (permalink)
                                    Just saw on CNBC the chairman of Domino's, David Brandon, rolling out their "first new product since going public almost 90 days ago": a double decker, double cheese, double crust thing.

Mercy.

Frank

i95

RE: The worst Pizza Mon, 10/11/04 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by fcbaldwin

Just saw on CNBC the chairman of Domino's, David Brandon, rolling out their "first new product since going public almost 90 days ago": a double decker, double cheese, double crust thing.

Mercy.

Frank

I think that there was an article about this in yesterday's New York Times (and linking a great "Seinfeld" line to as much) but I thought it was Pizza Hut.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: The worst Pizza Mon, 10/11/04 9:33 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by wanderingjew

Pizza in the Seattle WA area.

Ditto

i95

RE: The worst Pizza Mon, 10/11/04 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by i95

quote:
                                          Originally posted by fcbaldwin

Mercy.

Frank

I think that there was an article about this in yesterday's New York Times (and linking a great "Seinfeld" line to as much) but I thought it was Pizza Hut.

Oops. It was Dominos and here it is, FYI:

October 10, 2004
                                          THE GOODS
                                          Where's the Cheese? Everywhere
                                          By BRENDAN I. KOERNER

N a memorable episode of "Seinfeld,'' the character of Elaine Benes is in awe of stuffed-crust pizza. "It'll be years before they find places to hide more cheese on pizza," she marvels, in praise of the mozzarella-filled Pizza Hut delicacy that made its debut in 1995.

Elaine would be pleased to learn that pizza innovation continues apace. In terms of cheesy zing per square inch, stuffed-crust pizzas pale in comparison with the new Doublemelt from Domino's Pizza. Offered in two sizes, the pizza has two thin crusts glued together with a potent cheese-and-herb sauce, then slathered with a six-cheese blend.

"This probably has more blast of cheese flavor than any pizza we've ever rolled out," said David A. Brandon, Domino's chief executive. During the introduction, the 12-inch variety is $9.99, or $14.99 for two, and the 14-inch is $11.99, or $18.99 for two.

Though the Doublemelt was introduced nationwide just two weeks ago, its story began in 1997. That is when it was concocted by a Domino's franchisee in Japan and sold under the brand name Mille Feuille, after the layered French pastry. The idea spread to Taiwan in 2002, where the pizza was renamed the Double Decker. Domino's franchises in South Korea followed the next year, using Double Crust as the name.

This is not the first time that an American pizza chain has taken a cue from a foreign market. Steve Coomes, editor of PizzaMarketplace.com, an industry news site, said that Pizza Hut's 4forALL, a square pie divided into quadrants, each with different toppings,was invented by a British franchisee. The product failed in Britain largely because the franchisee lacked the technology to quickly partition the pizzas. But Pizza Hut, owned by Yum Brands Inc. of Louisville, Ky., remedied that problem, and the pie has become a mainstay of its American menu.

Though the Doublemelt's predecessors have been successful abroad, the product was still tweaked for the American market. The sauce has varied in Asia, with the Taiwanese enjoying a blend of cream cheese and Cheddar, and the Koreans now opting for a viscous mash of Swiss. The original Korean recipe was a bit more pungent: a mixture of cream cheese, Camembert and Gouda.

That's too much punch for the American palate, Mr. Brandon said. "What we found is that American consumers wanted a more familiar taste," he said. A smoky Gouda flavor, in particular, doesn't go over well in the Heartland, he added.

To find the ideal sauce, Domino's test kitchen cranked out 1,000 pies, and went through more than 500 pounds of cheese. The exact composition of the winning sauce is secret, but a taste test reveals that cream cheese and garlic figure prominently. (The Doublemelt is somewhat similar to the Pizza Hut Insider, which appeared briefly in the United States two years ago.)

Domino's has had to work through supply-chain issues: because each Doublemelt requires two thin crusts, the company had to ensure that franchisees had access to enough dough. And great care was taken in picking the Doublemelt name, Mr. Brandon said. The company didn't want to follow Australia's lead, for example, and call it the Double Decadence, a name that might suggest to consumers that the product does their arteries no favors. Each slice of the 12-inch pizza contains 16 grams of fat, versus 5.5 for a plain cheese slice.

MR. BRANDON called the Doublemelt introduction "very important," given that the pizza is Domino's first new product since it went public in July.

Even if the Doublemelt is a success, it is hard to imagine the pizza industry dreaming up new places to hide more cheese. Mr. Coomes of PizzaMarketplace.com said inventors might now shift gears and start to tinker with richer blends to satisfy consumers' cheese cravings. "This is a country that loves Gorgonzola and basic bleus," he said. Dark days may be ahead for tomato sauce fans.

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
                                            RE: The worst Pizza Mon, 10/11/04 6:45 PM (permalink)
                                            Gaak, that "Elaine" from "Seinfeld."

I knew the real person on whom that character is based. Email me directly if you want to know.

Sorry, now, back to the bad 'za.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com