The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The worst Pizza you ever ate!!

Change Page: << < ..111213141516171819 > | Showing page 14 of 19, messages 391 to 420 of 569
analei

• Total Posts: 533
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Thu, 10/9/08 6:11 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by analei

Pizza Papalis in Detroit, MI.

Perhaps, i am not a fan Chicago style pizza, but this did not remind me what pizza should taste like, the crust tasted flaky and butter, and the filled was barely cooked, where was the cheese and other filling, it just seemed the dumped in nothing but sauce with a smattering of filling.

Pizza Papalis is one of the true great culinary things in life. I am so sorry you had a bad experience. Was it just the taste you did not like? Were the ingredients good and cooked properly? Now I havent been there for a few years but I love the pizza they serve...Russ

Well, perhaps you are right, maybe it was the day, or something else. I had the lunch verison of the pizza. It was a crazy saturday afternoon in there. Who knows. I have to say the service was really nice.

Perhaps I will check it out again, and not order the lunch version,

Your glowing endorsment has me thinking to give it another try.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
    RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Thu, 10/9/08 6:14 PM (permalink)
    analei,

Welcome to roadfood. I think you will enjoy this site. I grew up in the Detroit area and get back regularly....Russ
    Do you have a favorite Coney?

analei

• Total Posts: 533
      RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Fri, 10/10/08 5:23 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Russ Jackson

analei,

Welcome to roadfood. I think you will enjoy this site. I grew up in the Detroit area and get back regularly....Russ
      Do you have a favorite Coney?

Thank you so much for the warm welcome.

I said Detroit, but i am in Windsor, across the border. They do nto have a section for Canadians on there.

I have yet to try a Coney, but i keep reading about them, and it sounds really quite good by the pics.

mncorn

• Total Posts: 151
        RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Mon, 10/20/08 2:18 AM (permalink)
        A place in where I live in MN. The town is about 10,000 people and there are no good places to hunt. We have a spot at Mom and Dads.

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
          RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Tue, 10/21/08 8:44 AM (permalink)
          i had a regualr Domino bacon pie the other nite and it was bad. So i sauteed up some onions, peppers, tomatoes and layered some peperoni on it and boy was it good....

crew84row

• Total Posts: 173
            RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Wed, 10/22/08 8:48 AM (permalink)
            My wife picked up some indiivdual sized frozen pizza at at local "health food" coop. The instructions said,"Remove cardboard beofre baking", but I think we should have removed the crust and ate the cardboard. My 6'8" 275# "clean-out-the-frig-for a snack" son didn't go past the second bite before tossing his. Found 3 of these frisbees in the back of the freezer last week. They sailed nicely into the dumpster.

Raiders757

• Total Posts: 19
              RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Thu, 10/23/08 5:37 PM (permalink)
              Hello everyone. New to the froums here, and there is no better place ot get started than with one of my favorite foods, pizza.

I'm lucky enough to live near a lot of great mom & pop pizza shops, so it's not often that I run across a bad pie. I guess i'll leave out the 10 for $10 frozen pizzas from this, as it's obvious you get what you pay for in that situation.

Of the chains, the worst for me...

Dominos gets the top spot. Followed by Chanellos(eastern Va. low cost pie chain), Cici's Pizza, Chuck E Cheese, Uno's, and Pizza Hut. I'll cut Cici's a little slack, as it an all you can eat pizza bar for $4.99. What can you expect from them with such a cheap price? We also have these places poping up called $5 Pizza. I'm not sure i'm even going to bother trying them. I'll stick to my mom & pop shops, that make great N.Y. style pies.

I would say that the worst non-chain pizza I ever had, was a place I worked at as a teen in the 80s, San Fransico Pizza. It was located not far from the Richmond International Airport, but no longer exists. The pizza was just terrible, and there was nothing I could do to make it better for anyone. The crust was frozen slabs, and all the toppings were precut and frozen as well. Nothing was fresh. Back in those days, is was slightly better than frozen pizza, but compared to the frozen pizza of today, it couldn't hold a candle t it. Just awful stuff.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Thu, 10/23/08 5:57 PM (permalink)
                Welcome to RF Raiders757.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                  RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Thu, 10/23/08 8:41 PM (permalink)
                  I am from Yonkers NY and grew up eating great pizza from little local pizza joints in Yonkers and The Bronx. After Vietnam I moved to Jasper Alabama and then to Cincinnati OH. All of the pizza chains mentioned above can be summed up in one word - GARBAGE. In Cincinnati the only really good pizza can be found at Dewey's Pizza and in the Dayton area at Dewey's and Troni's in Kettering (a Dayton suburb) (which is owned and run by an Albanian immigrant family.) I could not believe how good a pizza they make. Here is their myspace website:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=288398040

Dewey's expanded and now has locations in Greater Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky, Dayton, St. Louis, Cleveland Heights, and Columbus And their branches do their pizzas just like the original location, in Oakley, a Cincinnati neighborhood. This is their website:

http://deweyspizza.com/about

wmceaton

• Total Posts: 313
                    RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Fri, 10/24/08 11:37 AM (permalink)
                    Spanky's Pizza in Bangor Maine....true "Rental Food"

Milt

• Total Posts: 354
                      RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Sun, 11/2/08 3:25 PM (permalink)
                      The worst pizza I have ever had was a long time ago. Shortly after I moved to Kansas City, Kansas (40 years ago) - I visited Shakey's on State Avenue. The folk music was enjoyable, as was the atmosphere in general. It took forever for our pizza to get to us and when it finally arrived - it tasted very funny. It was so dark that I didn't notice right away, but the under side of the pizza was completely black.
                      When I complained to the manager, he wasn't very understanding until I showed him my pizza. The free pizza we got on our next visit was much more acceptable.

ThrashATL

• Total Posts: 75
                        RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Sun, 11/2/08 3:47 PM (permalink)
                        After a visit to "CiCi's Pizza" chain, I'm inclined to rename it "FeCes Pizza".

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                          RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Sun, 11/2/08 4:10 PM (permalink)
                          Any Dominos...it doesn't even look like Pizza...at least most Pizza Hut "creations" at lwast "look" like pizza...neither is a good pizza...you can add Papa John's to the terrible pizza list also!!!!!

ThrashATL

• Total Posts: 75
                            RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Sun, 11/2/08 7:48 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by leethebard

Any Dominos...it doesn't even look like Pizza...at least most Pizza Hut "creations" at lwast "look" like pizza...neither is a good pizza...you can add Papa John's to the terrible pizza list also!!!!!

There was a chain that I could easily tolerate but they pulled up stakes in Atlanta and left the market and that was Donato's.

donw9876

• Total Posts: 289
                              RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Sat, 05/9/09 6:55 PM (permalink)
                              The worst pizza that I have had in my life was as follows. My brother and I took a bike trip in Canada in the late 70s and we were staying just outside Windsor, ON. We ordered a pepperoni "pizza" from a local shop that delivered to motels. What we experienced when we got it tasted like an omelet baked onto a crust, topped with circular slices of baloney. It was hot, and it wouldn't  have been too bad if it were presented as something other than pizza  - it was just super bland, like some disk o' breakfast food.

I'm sure that small shop just made pizzas to the local taste. That pizza formed an impression that I still carry of Canadians being deathly afraid of strong flavors. It makes me think that when someone up there puts an Altoids mint in their mouth, it gets a reaction like someone here in the US eating a raw habanero.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Sun, 05/10/09 9:15 PM (permalink)
                                In the early '80s, I was in Los Angeles on a business trip, and I made the mistake of asking my cab driver to recommend a good pizza place in the downtown LA area. "I've got just the place for ya", says he. "Sounds good", says me. The place ( name long forgotten ) looked nice, and the friendly young waiter soon set a handsome thin-crust sausage pizza in front of me; I eagerly grabbed a slice and took a bite. My enthusiasm immediately disappered, however. It was easily the worst restaurant pizza I've ever had, before or since. The sausage, cheese and sauce all tasted awful, and the crust had a less-than-wonderful texture. I forced down two or three pieces, then asked the waiter to pack up the rest to go. After walking about a block or so from the restaurant, I dumped the whole mess in the first trash can I saw. Never again would I order pizza on the west coast - lesson learned.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                  RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Mon, 05/11/09 10:47 AM (permalink)
                                  I would also be extremely careful about ordering pizza in Cincinnati or the Dayton area.  Most places sell pizza as bad as Dominos.  Only a very select handful of pizza joints have pizza the way I like it - the way it has been made in the Greater NY area for many decades.  Dewey's Pizza and Troni's Pizzeria and Restaurant  (Kettering) are the only two pizza places I buy my pizza at presently as they come as close to NY style as is available in the area (Dewey's has locations in greater Cinci and Dayton).

Milt

• Total Posts: 354
                                    RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Mon, 05/11/09 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                    My guess is that nocarolina was taken to the cab driver's brother-in-law's place - rather than the best pizza establishment in the area.  I would caution us all to not write off an entire region because of the experience in one place.

carolina bob

RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Mon, 05/11/09 12:48 PM (permalink)
                                      You're probably right, Milt, but over the years several of my friends have spent time on the west coast, especially SoCal, and have come back with similar pizza horror stories. Their experiences have contributed to my feelings on the subject of "Pacific pizza". 

donw9876

• Total Posts: 289
                                        RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Mon, 05/18/09 6:28 PM (permalink)
                                        Here's another really lousy pizza. We got it at the snack shop at the Canaan Valley State Resort Park in WV a few years ago. The guy working in the shop said that he made "the best" pizzas. What we received had a couple of pounds of mediocre, quickly cooling and greasy mozzarella mounded on it. Each of us ate about 1/2 a slice. 

To show how bad this pizza was, we carried the pizza outside and sat at a picnic table in the evening. Tame deer wander around the picnic tables and the rooms all over the park. A deer came over and sniffed the pizza and wasn't interested in the least. It was that bad.

(I love those barf icons -- they're so damned cute.)

badbyron722

• Total Posts: 307
                                          RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Fri, 06/26/09 4:06 PM (permalink)
                                          Dont care for Papa Johns,but the worse is those frozen 0.99 $ Tonys.

crazybob

• Total Posts: 55
                                            RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Sun, 07/12/09 6:53 PM (permalink)
                                            wesza

The worst ever was from almost every "Drive In Movie", they made Pizza that was awful. but the junk was a big seller, as drive ins movies , closed im my mind it begret Domino's and Pizza Hut. Many of our posters seem willing to accept Pizza's with American Cheese or Chedder Cheese, any yellow cheese on Pizza, somehow scares me. Irwin

There is a drive-in theatre on US RT. 220 in Linden, PA, that serves great pizza! It is made with fresh par-baked crust from Fox's Home Style Bakery, a not-too-sweet sauce using san marzzano tomatoes, & topped with a 2:1 ratio of fresh mozzarella & white cheddar cheeses.  It's pretty good, non-frozen,  pizza for a drive-in! 9.99 for a 16".

carolina bob

RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Sun, 07/12/09 9:03 PM (permalink)
                                              Last week I had a sausage pizza from a local place that, while not as bad as the L.A. pizza that I posted about earlier, was easily the worst that I've ever had here in the Chicago area. The culprit is called John's Pizza, and it's on Ridge Rd. in Munster IN. The counter employee assured me that their pizzas were thin-crust, yet what I got was thick and doughy; it reminded me of the crust on a personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut. The sausage was finely ground instead of being the traditional chunk style, and both it and the sauce were so salty that the blasted thing was almost inedible ( a sizable portion ended up in the waste can. ) I've never tasted salty pizza before, and I hope that I never do again. The cheese was passable, and that's the only good thing that I can say about that sad excuse for a pizza.  

yanque

• Total Posts: 18
                                                RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Sun, 07/12/09 9:29 PM (permalink)
                                                I believe that the only really good pizza comes from local joints located within 10 miles of I-95 between New Haven CT and New Brunswick NJ.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
                                                  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Sun, 07/12/09 10:04 PM (permalink)
                                                  yanque

I believe that the only really good pizza comes from local joints located within 10 miles of I-95 between New Haven CT and New Brunswick NJ.

Wow, I guess that leaves out all of Long Island, and Brooklyn for that matter.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                                    • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                    RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Sun, 07/12/09 10:10 PM (permalink)
                                                    yanque

Your belief system is seriously flawed.  pb

mr_melvis

• Total Posts: 16
                                                      RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Mon, 07/13/09 6:51 AM (permalink)
                                                      Any pizza from any LaRosa's in the Cincinnati area.  Hands down - the worst pizza we have ever eaten...  Weird tasting sauce - bad dough, just a nasty treat all the way round...

mr_melvis

yanque

• Total Posts: 18
                                                        • Location: manchester, NH
                                                        RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Mon, 07/13/09 7:55 AM (permalink)
                                                        Sorry, I should have included the close in area of Long Island.

carolina bob

• Location: Chicagoland
                                                          RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Mon, 07/13/09 8:39 AM (permalink)
                                                          I agree about LaRosa's. I had their pizza one time and that was quite enough. If this is what people in Cincinnati consider to be quality pizza, then they have my deepest sympathies. 

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                                            • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                            RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! Mon, 07/13/09 9:19 AM (permalink)
                                                            nocarolina

............ If this is what people in Cincinnati consider to be quality pizza, then they have my deepest sympathies. 

I think there must be something in the chili.   pb

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..111213141516171819 > | Showing page 14 of 19, messages 391 to 420 of 569

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com