The worst Pizza you ever ate!!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 19
Author
pdxeats
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/08 14:04:49 (permalink)
Mineo's is probably the best. They are located in the Squirrel Hill section of Pittsburgh, they also have a branch out in the suburb of Mt Lebanon.-WanderingJew

Here is a link to your beloved
Mineo's http://www.mineospizza.com/
I am going to check it out again tonight
so which style of Pizza do they specialize in??
I will let you know how it goes!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7768
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/08 14:17:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by vequinox

I am going to check it out again tonight
so which style of Pizza do they specialize in??
I will let you know how it goes!!

While I was living in Pittsburgh, I would go to Mineo's at least once a week. I would usually get 2 of their regular thin crust "cuts" and one square cut which is a fairly decent size that they would usually cut it in half after reheating it in the oven. I was practically walking distance from their Mt Lebanon branch.
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/08 15:14:47 (permalink)
University of Pennsylvania Class of 1928 Commons cafeteria. Their pizza is so bad that after three mouthfuls I had a sore throat for about two hours. When I went to college (at Drexel) they were catered by Stouffers (as in frozen foods company).

In fairness, they had a lot of good food, but this subject is about bad-worst pizza ever.
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/08 16:50:14 (permalink)
Gosh, I guess I'm the brave one here, BUT my kid's love that Chef-boy-ar-dee pizza. Never heard of the sausage, only pepperoni and the cheese. Maybe they just like making it, but, they do eat it. We have a great pizza place that serves it out of a window, 2 GIANT slices of pepperoni for $3.29 and a free drink. It's always fresh due to the line that's waiting when they get there. Only two cooks, not enough space for anymore. Papa Johns's blah as well, Pizza Hut, they use no sauce. Oh and we do have one locally owned restaurant that makes a good deep dish. If you're ever in Gainesville, go to LEONARDO'S IN THE PAN. Don't forget "Satchel's" either.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/09 12:33:12 (permalink)
http://www.roundtablepizza.com/RTP/HI/

Here it is. I remember it now. I was in Arcata California a few years ago when I took a bite of this crap. Actually, that is too elevated a description. I think it was the chicken roastadoro. No tomato flavor at all, the cheese was too stringy, and the toppings overwhelmed the pie. It might just be the way I like my pizza, with a more minimalistic approach, but the main ingridients, namely cheese and tomato, were lacking. I wonder if anyone else has heard of this chain.
NancyPeter
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/09 13:13:58 (permalink)
Pizza Hut just keeps getting worse & worse. My son had been begging for their pie recently, so I gave in reluctantly. It was the soggiest, most disgusting pizza I've ever had. I called their 800 number & complained just to vent! The store itself offered me two free pizzas next time. I said, "why would I order from you again--it was awful." I'd rather have an English muffin "pizza" made by yours truly!

Nancy

P.S. I'm from North Jersey originally (just outside of Manhattan), so I am totally spoiled. South Jersey pie just doesn't cut it, even at its best
finediner
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/09 13:58:28 (permalink)
I can nominate two for the honors. Second place goes to Pizza Hut thin crust, it tastes exactly like cardboard and the texture is a dead ringer for the box. But the worst, bar none, was a substance called Pennsbury Pizza which was served every other week in my school cafeteria. The meat version was acceptable but the cheese (which seemed to be all that was left when I got there) was a thick chewy crust with some insipid sauce (might have been ketchup) and a thick, thick layer of processed american cheese. It was gross! Scared me off pizza for years but then I got taken to a parlor in Bristol, PA and was converted. In the 60s, Bristol had some of the best pizza anywhere. It was great! I've never had better. Nothing fancy. Three choices, cheese, extra cheese and pepperoni. Extra cheese was everyone's favorite and it was good.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/09 15:17:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

Here it is. I remember it now. I was in Arcata California a few years ago when I took a bite of this crap. Actually, that is too elevated a description. I think it was the chicken roastadoro. No tomato flavor at all, the cheese was too stringy, and the toppings overwhelmed the pie. It might just be the way I like my pizza, with a more minimalistic approach, but the main ingridients, namely cheese and tomato, were lacking. I wonder if anyone else has heard of this chain.

One of the many choices of dreadful Pizza places I had to choose from while living in Seattle along with Pizza Hut, Domino's, Little Ceasar, Shakey's etc. There was a local chain called Tony Maroni's, I could almost swear that someone dumped a whole tub of oregano or basil in their sauce, it was soooo bitter!
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/09 16:28:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NancyPeter

P.S. I'm from North Jersey originally (just outside of Manhattan), so I am totally spoiled. South Jersey pie just doesn't cut it, even at its best

Well, Nancy,

I, too, am originally from northern NJ, now living in Burlington County, and we have a number of pizzerias here that I would put up against anything I've had in Northern NJ. I don't see any fall off. In fact, Taconnelli's in Philly might be better than anything I've had in Northern NJ. DeLisi's, in my backyard, makes a great pie, for that matter. Additionally, there a few types of pizza that I can get here that I can't get back north, namely, a cheesesteak pizza, and buffalo chicken pizza, with hot sauce. I think the sheer variety on the pizzeria menus here are greater than northern NJ. I don't miss northern NJ one bit, except for maybe Jewish delis. And even here, we have the Kibitz room over on the Cherry Hill/Vorhees border!
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/09 16:34:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

One of the many choices of dreadful Pizza places I had to choose from while living in Seattle along with Pizza Hut, Domino's, Little Ceasar, Shakey's etc. There was a local chain called Tony Maroni's, I could almost swear that someone dumped a whole tub of oregano or basil in their sauce, it was soooo bitter!

God help you! I was in Seattle a week once, and truly enjoyed cuisine, such as Ray's Boathouse, but now that I think about it, I never had a slice of pizza there. It all makes sense now
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/09 19:58:52 (permalink)
I don't eat pizza much anymore, so when I do, I expect it to be really good. Well, last night we went to Bertucci's because I had a $5.00 off coupon and because we like their Tuscan wings. So we ordered this pizza, and it wasn't good and it almost ruined my night. It was a Neopolitan-style pizza, I don't remember the cutesy name they had for it, and we picked off all the sundried tomatoes. My daughter pronounced it "gross".

And Pizza Hut is, always has been, and always will be, disgusting. They had a Pizza Hut within walking distance of me and they clsoed it down. It's now a Subway (won't make me walk there any quicker for that slop, either). I'd probably have to say the same about Domino's and (if they're still around anyplace) Little Caesar's. They were pretty bad, too! I also wanted to mention a place called Vince's, I think it is, in Williamstown, NJ. Do not go there! Their pizza didn't even taste like food.

I have had a place recommended to me in the Ellisburg Circle Shopping Center in Cherry Hill; I'll get the name and check it out. The person who has made recommendations to me before (ie Chick's) has been right on the money so far.

The best so far for me in South Jersey is Masso's on Route 561 in Gibbsboro.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/09 20:02:42 (permalink)
quote:

God help you! I was in Seattle a week once, and truly enjoyed cuisine, such as Ray's Boathouse, but now that I think about it, I never had a slice of pizza there. It all makes sense now

Whenever visiting Seattle, just pretend that anything Mediteranean doesn't exist and you'll be OK! You can never go wrong with Seafood, Asian, Coffee, Microbrews or if you're into it, Scandinavian.
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/10 10:47:57 (permalink)
The "top" of my list for the worst pizza was a place in Iowa City (I hope long gone) called Paul Revere's. It was a greasy, gloppy mess that was so bad you couldn't tell where the pizza sauce or cheese left off and the crust would begin. Yuck, not even the worst case of college munchies could overcome that.
Dipstick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/10 11:40:45 (permalink)
Domino's, Papa John's, and Pizza Hut are truly awful. Yet the worst that comes to my mind is Godfathers with their no sauce, white rubber topped pies.
Oh, and Tiki, sorry to have to keep expanding your preferred pizza border but Minneapolis has some great za!
Julia I
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/10 11:46:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by floridafoodeater

With all due respect to KimChee43, after a night of drinking up and down State Street, Rocky Rococco's was often the BEST pizza I ever ate.

I'll second that, although even after a pitcher of swampwater, I still thought their sausage was pretty suspect.

My vote has to go to Pizza Hut, with special mention for their really horrible thin crust and a Mexican-style pizza that they used to make that gave me, uh, intestinal difficulties. (I ate it twice before I made the connection.)
capnhank
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/10 14:03:45 (permalink)
OK, Tiki, while it's true that the best pizzas are on the east coast (I remember a place in Hoboken specifically), there are a few shining exceptions here in California. I've always been partial to North Beach Pizza in SF, but it's not a NY style pie at all; plenty of cheese and toppings swimming on a relatively thin, flavorful crust that doesn't fall apart under the moisture.

Next, Tamandmik has obviously never been subjected to Little Caeser's (count your blessings!), which makes Round Table look like Pizza Antica. If nothing else, Round Table has something approaching flavor. Just approaching, mind you.

Finally, to get back to Vequinox's original sentiment, I have experienced the "joys" of Cedar Point pizza and must concur wholeheartedly. I could have made a better (and cheaper) meal of just french fries. Great rollercoasters, though.

Cheers!
Boatman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/10 14:08:33 (permalink)
Are there still Little Caesar's out there? That would have to get my vote. Pouring some kitchen on a slice of white bread would produce a better tasting pizza.
capnhank
Hamburger
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/10 16:47:03 (permalink)
As a veteran of several pizza parlors of questionable quality, I will attest to the truth of that statement. I used to make a pretty mean pie when the company rules were lifted.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4564
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/10 22:11:27 (permalink)
Well, let me put my flak jacket on...ok...there.

I just ate at Pizza Hut today, and loved it.

*shrug*

I only like the pizza they call "The Big New Yorker", and although I will not claim it is the best pizza I have ever had, it was really, really good.

I don't know....pretty much all of the national chains have been slammed in this thread and I have had what I'd call good (not great, not wonderful, but good) pizza at each of them at some time or another.

I can generally get a Domino's large around here for around 6 bucks with one topping (and extra sauce, got to have extra sauce) if I pick it up, and I have to say it is worlds better than any 6.00 or under frozen pizza I have ever eaten. I frown every time I see these frozen pizzas priced higher than basic fresh pizzeria pizzas....
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/10 22:13:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dipstick

Domino's, Papa John's, and Pizza Hut are truly awful. Yet the worst that comes to my mind is Godfathers with their no sauce, white rubber topped pies.
Oh, and Tiki, sorry to have to keep expanding your preferred pizza border but Minneapolis has some great za!

I did say ALMOST every pizza!!!--so i stand at 350 miles!!!! An d i have found good pizza here in Olahoma and once in the middle of Nevada in a cowboy bar--that one really surprised me!! but for the most part---if i have to eat one more cardbord and tomatoe paste creation i will shoot my self! so its just best i stick to my milage rules till proven wrong by the exception--be damned if im going spend money LOOKING for though--espcially when there is so much good BARBECUE around!!!
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/10 22:54:12 (permalink)
All the National Chain Pizza joints have been slammed in this thread but..........they seem to stay in business. How can that be?
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/11 00:18:03 (permalink)
BigGlenn: My mind spins every time I stand in the "frozen dinner" aisle. The world seems to thrive on safe, predictable mediocrity. My dad used to say, "Everyone wants the front of the bus, the back of the church, and the middle of the road!" I think he meant it literally, but I have always taken that "middle of the road" thing figuratively (is my "reverse snobbery" showing?)

Every time I peek in on this thread, I remember this stack of frozen pizzas my mom got somewhere, maybe "Smart and Final". They were little pizza disks on little cardboard disks, and I must say there was not alot of difference between the two. Pinkish sauce, and a few shreds of white "cheese". I'm trying to remember the flavor to describe it, but that just makes me break out in a cold sweat.

I also had the English muffin pizza: leftover tomato sauce or paste if there was any, very thick slices of dried-out supermarket pepperoni, and a slice of American cheese. Or sometimes topped with leftover hamburger meat. It reminds me of the Eddie Murphy bit where he describes his mom's homemade hamburgers.

I just saw a commercial for a chain's "Philly Cheese Steak Pizza". I thought it was some kind of bad dream.
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/11 07:36:53 (permalink)
Personally, I think Pizza Hut is the worst. I never had a good pizza from them. I stopped eating Pizza Hut in the early 80's.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/11 07:38:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BigGlenn

All the National Chain Pizza joints have been slammed in this thread but..........they seem to stay in business. How can that be?

For the same reason McDonald's stays in business. For the same reason why my coffeehouse went out of business, and they had the best decaf I ever drank and at the same time there is a Dunkin Donuts every 1/2 mile here in Rhode Island packed to the rims in the morning. For the same reason why my brother would rather make pancakes with bisquick than drive 45 minutes to the Blue Benn diner for the best blueberry pancakes ever...
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/11 07:48:53 (permalink)
Talking about the frozen pizzas reminded me of this guy I dated back in the 70's. He would bring these frozen frisbees to my apartment for me to fix. He always said he didn't know if they tasted so good because of my stove or because he ate them while with me. I never told him I completely doctored them & gave them a little taste on my own - some fresh herbs, replaced the pepperoni or at least added to it, more fresh cheese... you get the idea. Still a long way from a great fresh pizza but a deffinite improvement over that frozen hockey puck he'd brought in!
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/11 10:26:02 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

For the same reason McDonald's stays in business. For the same reason why my coffeehouse went out of business, and they had the best decaf I ever drank and at the same time there is a Dunkin Donuts every 1/2 mile here in Rhode Island packed to the rims in the morning. For the same reason why my brother would rather make pancakes with bisquick than drive 45 minutes to the Blue Benn diner for the best blueberry pancakes ever...

We're also a bit of a self-selected group here: people who get a tremendous amount of enjoyment from food, and often the environment in which it's served. Many people, I suspect, don't care that much. They view food as either something to eliminate hunger, and/or to be dealt with as quickly and easily as possible. Perhaps it's not a matter of preferring Dunkin Donuts and Pizza Hut to arguably superior local brands: it's a matter of it never occuring to them to try something different.

Not long ago, I was talking to my aunt in Albany, who asked what it is about Manhattan that could possibly in my right mind make me want to stay here. One of the first things I mentioned was the restaurants. She seemed half incredulous, half mocking: "Restaurants? Philip, there are restaurants everywhere." I tried to explain that restaurants represent a major source of entertainment and interest to a lot of people here, and she simply didn't get what I was talking about. It'd be like saying I was staying here for the gas stations.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/11 10:36:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.
We're also a bit of a self-selected group here: people who get a tremendous amount of enjoyment from food, and often the environment in which it's served. Many people, I suspect, don't care that much. They view food as either something to eliminate hunger, and/or to be dealt with as quickly and easily as possible. Perhaps it's not a matter of preferring Dunkin Donuts and Pizza Hut to arguably superior local brands: it's a matter of it never occuring to them to try something different.

Not long ago, I was talking to my aunt in Albany, who asked what it is about Manhattan that could possibly in my right mind make me want to stay here. One of the first things I mentioned was the restaurants. She seemed half incredulous, half mocking: "Restaurants? Philip, there are restaurants everywhere." I tried to explain that restaurants represent a major source of entertainment and interest to a lot of people here, and she simply didn't get what I was talking about. It'd be like saying I was staying here for the gas stations.

You hit it right on the head Phil. My brother once asked me why I enjoy going to various ballparks. What is the point to all of that. After explaining to him my interest in baseball, he replied that I should just get video tapes of various ballgames and watch them at home. Missing the entire point of a ballpark roadtrip
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/11 12:51:16 (permalink)
Club Med in Haiti. It was on a lunch buffet and I had eaten some delicious local fish and vegetables but because it looked so awful, I had to try it. The crust was croissant dough.
capnhank
Hamburger
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/11 13:00:32 (permalink)
quote:

It's the same reason that Law and Order and Paradise Hotel are popular: The vast majority of Americans have no taste whatsoever, be it cultural or culinary.
There's also the quality vs. quantity debate. I'd say that if you're feeding the Cub Scouts in Boise, Pizza Hut's $12.99 meal deal looks pretty good. However, if you're dining for pleasure rather than sustenance...well, you'll probably avoid Cedar Point.
Wiseguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2003/09/17 20:16:21 (permalink)
I always cringe when I see someone go into Domino's here in Chicago,WHAT ARE THEY THINKING!!!,maybe they are trying to save a few bucks at the expense of taste.

The worst pizza I can recently remember having was a place in Park City Utah.The Red Banjo Pizza parlour.
I remeber walking in and seeing almost no one there(a bad sign) and the place looks like an old saloon(another sign?)
I got a slice of pizza that was TERRIBLE.I had to force myself to try and eat it,but I ended up throwing most of it away.and I was starving,which usually makes not so good food,good.
Funny thing is they had a sign saying "voted best pizza in Park City"
(Another "sign")
here's a link.
http://utah.citysearch.com/review/10358489/editorial/?cslink=cs_profile_tabs_editorial_review

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 19
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1