The worst Pizza you ever ate!!

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 19
Author
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/14 17:16:57 (permalink)
This takes very little thought, most if not all of the chain pizza joints are barely edible even if your drunk especially dominoes, papajohns isn't to bad if you order light sauce. here in jax,fl the best independent is Al's ny style it reminds me of late nights on the seaside heights (nj) boardwalk with a hot slice or 2 a rootbeer, and a cute summer girlfriend on my arm..mmMMmm
Xwordster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/22 15:00:53 (permalink)
Hands down, Papa John's. I know some people who eat that stuff and when I finally had to taste it (there was NOTHING else to eat , it was so much worse than I ever could have imagined. Literally inedible. I also have issues with this new Pizza Hut dipping sauce concept. Pizza in Ranch Dressing???? Fear Factor here we come!
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/22 15:26:18 (permalink)
Ledo's here in Maryland. Sauce is mostly sugar, cheese is lame, crust is marginal. There's nothing Italian about it. An ex-bf of mine used to buy it for his kids and I was tempted to turn him in for child neglect. Yet they are the standard-setters for this area; hence, I have learned not to ask any locals where to go for pizza. Sigh. Poor deprived Marylanders.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1086
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/22 16:19:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I used to think that the absolutely worst I could ever taste came from a chain called Masseys in the Columbus, Ohio area. I'd thought that since about 1972 when I tasted one. Now, however, I have discovered something even worse.

Some months ago, at the urging of my grandson, I ordered some sort of chicken/Mexican pie with tortilla strips from Donatos. It was really, really, really awful, but not as bad as that Massey's product. Last night, though, said grandson persuaded me to order Donato's newest attack on the human digestive system -- a Smokehouse Barbeque pizza with bacon, ham, sausage and french-fried onion rings, as well as provolone cheese and barbeque sauce.

The aroma (OK, the smell) put me off, but I picked up a piece and took a bite. This, thing, has now replaced the Massey's pie in my personal Hall of Gross.

Naturally, the kid, seeing my reaction, insisted that it was the very best he'd ever tasted, and he proceeded to down the whole thing. This is the same kid who has enjoyed tomato pies at Sally's, Pepe's and The Spot. It's an age thing. He's almost 17, so any time he can take a shot he has to do it.

I haven't heard from his yet today, so I'm guessing he's too sick to want to come over.

Not even the television commercial can make that thing look good. I don't blame you there. I do, however, wonder about your hate for Massey's. I have only had one pizza from there, it was one of their 150 pieces of pepperoni's on a large pies and I thought it was ok. Not as good as say Rotolo's or Adriatico's but not the worst I've ever had by any stretch. What kind did you try?
cbolado
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/22 16:33:46 (permalink)
I went to a birthday party of a Jewish friend of mine a couple years ago when I was in Chicago. Another friend—the only one with a car—had driven all the way to Skokie (from Hyde Park) to get kosher pizza for the party. It was terrible. And we washed it down with Manischewitz. Ick.
Gizmolito
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/27 17:58:22 (permalink)
When I moved to this area, everone raved about some of the local spots and bars that made "locally renowned" pizza. I have to disagree, since for some odd reason they assemble it with sauce, meat and/or veggies, and THEN the cheese on top.
IMO this is foolish and wrong. You can't see, and therefore appreciate, the toppings, and after a bite everything wants to slide off. The toppings get all gooped together in the sauce too. The cheese needs to be on the sauce as a bed for the toppings, and maybe a little cheese sprinkled on top to keep the pepperoni from burning on the edges.
(Maybe I have given this WAY too much thought!)
Gizmolito
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/27 18:16:08 (permalink)
Oops, just went to page two of this topic, and I see my pet pizza peeve was already well covered!

A lot of people got some bad pizza when I was making them in college in the 70's. The boss told me to slice the pepperoni sticks and put them in their bin. They made a lot of pizzas before someone realized that I had sliced them with the paper wrappers still on. Oops! I thought that was the "skin!"

Got yelled at and made fun of for a while, but didn't get the boot anyway.
Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 181
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/27 19:18:27 (permalink)

Okay, the boxed Chef-Boy-R-Dee pizza "kits" from the 50's and 60's WERE pretty lame, but I got a Mama Rosa's frozen 2/$3.98 pizza about 15 years ago that was ghastly.

As it was cooking in the oven I smelled paper burning and checked, not once, not twice, but three times to make sure the cardboard disk was not stuck to the pizza and laying against the tray. When it was "done", you could have used the crust as a shield in a gladiator film, it would have stopped any arrow or spear, it was that hard, like a fiberglassed saltine. I wish I could say that the sauce didn't suck, but it did; the melted cheese product fused the sausage bits together like the aftermath of an atomic blast where all the sand has become glass.

By now I was digging the wrapper out of the trash to read the list of ingredients, the fact that it had about 200 ingredients, few of which had less than five syllable names, this was the Three Mile Island of pizzas and the only one I ever tossed out. Good riddance.
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/27 19:19:04 (permalink)
most misery is self-inflicted......Domino's,pizza hut,papa john,chuck e.are all well known for serving lousy pizza,I can think of better ways to make myself miserable which doesn't include a trip to any of the afore-mentioned establishments
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/27 20:04:00 (permalink)
I grew up in suburban NY. I think I've had some good pizza in my days and yes, it's hard to beat a good Mom n Pop Italian joint. Having said that, I think there are a lot of pizza snobs out there. Pizza Hut pizzas are not thin crust NY, but they are tasty and they use quality ingredients. . . good cheese, good pep., decent sauce, etc. There are a number of chain pizzas I'd rather not eat, but they aint bad pies in a crunch if I'm hungry and that's what was ordered.
My son, who is a pizza nut, thinks the pizza one particular guy makes on Manitoulin Island in the middle of nowhere in Ontario Canada is pretty decent stuff. . . different but decent. . . I taught him to keep an open mind when it comes to food.
Geez, everybody wants everything exactly like Grandma made it.
I love Mexican food. I've eaten it all over Mexico and the Southwest and pride myself as a decent Mexican chefs for a white guy, but once-in-a-while a burrito supreme from Taco Bell aint so bad when I'm hungry and in a hurry.
Same with pizza.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18343
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/27 20:10:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I used to think that the absolutely worst I could ever taste came from a chain called Masseys in the Columbus, Ohio area. I'd thought that since about 1972 when I tasted one. Now, however, I have discovered something even worse.

Some months ago, at the urging of my grandson, I ordered some sort of chicken/Mexican pie with tortilla strips from Donatos. It was really, really, really awful, but not as bad as that Massey's product. Last night, though, said grandson persuaded me to order Donato's newest attack on the human digestive system -- a Smokehouse Barbeque pizza with bacon, ham, sausage and french-fried onion rings, as well as provolone cheese and barbeque sauce.

The aroma (OK, the smell) put me off, but I picked up a piece and took a bite. This, thing, has now replaced the Massey's pie in my personal Hall of Gross.

Naturally, the kid, seeing my reaction, insisted that it was the very best he'd ever tasted, and he proceeded to down the whole thing. This is the same kid who has enjoyed tomato pies at Sally's, Pepe's and The Spot. It's an age thing. He's almost 17, so any time he can take a shot he has to do it.

I haven't heard from his yet today, so I'm guessing he's too sick to want to come over.

Not even the television commercial can make that thing look good. I don't blame you there. I do, however, wonder about your hate for Massey's. I have only had one pizza from there, it was one of their 150 pieces of pepperoni's on a large pies and I thought it was ok. Not as good as say Rotolo's or Adriatico's but not the worst I've ever had by any stretch. What kind did you try?

The Massey's pie was a sausage pie. I still can't believe how bad it was. What made it even worse was the fact that I'd ordered it when we had some company visiting from New Haven.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/27 20:15:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SouthHillbilly

Having said that, I think there are a lot of pizza snobs out there.

South Hilbilly,

I must confess something- I'm a Pizza Snob, and I'm proud of it!!
nvb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/27 20:50:09 (permalink)
The worst pizza I ever ate was the first one I made. I started it from an already cooked crust sold in a grocery store and loaded it sky high with ingredients. Problem was that the top got cooked and the bottom was ice cold. Uck!
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/02/28 08:43:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in Ohio

...I got a Mama Rosa's frozen 2/$3.98 pizza about 15 years ago that was ghastly.

As it was cooking in the oven I smelled paper burning and checked, not once, not twice, but three times to make sure the cardboard disk was not stuck to the pizza and laying against the tray. When it was "done", you could have used the crust as a shield in a gladiator film, it would have stopped any arrow or spear, it was that hard, like a fiberglassed saltine. I wish I could say that the sauce didn't suck, but it did; the melted cheese product fused the sausage bits together like the aftermath of an atomic blast where all the sand has become glass.

By now I was digging the wrapper out of the trash to read the list of ingredients, the fact that it had about 200 ingredients, few of which had less than five syllable names, this was the Three Mile Island of pizzas and the only one I ever tossed out. Good riddance.

I'm sorry to report that Mamma Rosa's pizzas are still around--I saw one just yesterday in the grocery section of our new Super WalMart her in Bainbridge, GA (what does that tell you?).

I actually bought one (from a Publix, no less--shame on you Publix--I expect better from you) about a year ago, and it pretty much was a carbon copy of the experience Mark describes above. In a word, dreadful. In another word, inedible.

Isn't it some kind of perverse curse on us Americans that we're the breadbasket of the world, yet our fast food and a lot of the stuff we get at grocery stores is just awful?

Why can't anyone make a profit marketing good, quality pizza? Or french fries? Or...[fill in the blank]...

Discuss amongst yourselves...

danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/03/03 12:20:59 (permalink)
We bought a Jack's frozen pizza for my kids and my nephews and nieces over Thanksgiving weekend, and it looked terrible (I didn't partake). It had that cheap, gooey kind of cheese that comes off when you pick up the piece. We were in rural Michigan, and the only other choice at the grocery store was Tombstone. Next time, we'll bring a Home Run Inn frozen pizza from the Chicago area, where we live. Now that is great frozen pizza.
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/03/03 16:48:46 (permalink)
Actually as frozen pizza's go Tombstone isnt to bad, use a ventilated pan or pizza stone.. Our local grocery sells Tortino's frozen pizza five for $5.00, as pizza its barely worth mentioning but as a quick snack the supreme is well worth the buck!And as a base for pulled pork..well...ok ok pulled pork would make the box edible but still..
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3144
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/05/01 21:50:10 (permalink)
Both the best and worst pizza I've ever eaten were in Jamaica. The best was a veggie pizza on sort of a bisquick based crust loaded with ripe, sweet tomato's, fresh crunchy peppers, succulent sweet onions, loads of cheese and mushrooms. I've searched but never came close to finding a za that good. Last year in the Treasure Beach area of Jamaica's South Coast we found a little shack with made to order pizza's. We ordered a veggie pizza and crossed our fingers. This one came with frozen American bagged vegetables ala peas, carrots and corn, eech! Now that was, of course, still far better than the usual subjects of Domino's and Pizza John's of which I have a hard time understanding their survival; but those choices are far too easy!
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/05/01 22:28:15 (permalink)
At the Oakland Park, (Fort Lauderdale), roller skating rink in the 1970's.

It was in an older version of this, I guess.

http://www.concessionstands.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId=7192851ONVSB6-EVEREST-04&ic=9050720&cc=&tpc=

It made the most sickening, sweet, burnt smell.

Spinaltap
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/05/02 00:03:13 (permalink)
OK, here is "cut and paste" from my post on another thread - "The best major pizza chain". It definately falls in line here.

I agree with other posts - Hungry Howies is the worst! I tried them for the first time when they opened in our area back in the fall. The way they flooded the area with advertising, I thought I was in for something special. My son told me not to buy it ever again and I strongly agreed. It was the most bland pizza I have ever had - yes, even with the "flavored" crust. I just don't get it. If I want flavored pizza bones, I will dip them in something ...but that's not why I buy pizza. I don't give them a year here.
shmuelio
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/05/17 12:34:49 (permalink)
My worst Pizza was at the bowling alley at Kadena Air Force Base. I think they used old Converse sneakers for the crust. Really awful>
sizz_leteen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/05/19 21:24:59 (permalink)
That's easy. Worst pizza I've ever eaten was at a restaurant in Port Credit called Snug Harbour. I went one July afternoon with two friends (I don't consider them friends anymore, but that's besides the point), and we decided to split two small pizzas. One was some sort of spicy grilled chicken thing, and I can't remember what the other was. Both came with sides, so we figured we'd get a salad with one, and fries with the other. Anywho, they brought the pizzas out with the sides...on top of the pizzas. So basically, we had one pizza with a wilted salad piled ON TOP of it, and another with soggy fries piled on top of it. Not only was the presentation ridiculous, the pizzas themselves were disgusting. The "chicken" on one of them was dry as a bone. Needless to say, I never went back.
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/05/19 21:56:37 (permalink)
Obie's Pizza right down the street from Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville. Bad food, bad service.
Big Dave
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/05/24 01:10:01 (permalink)
I feel most of the major chains are bad. Before i relocated, my mother and brother were getting Pizza Hut constantly. I would partake, but I couldn't get the Alka-Seltzer fast enough. I don't mind Di'Giorno (sp?). Since I heat and eat, I guess it does the trick. I do like Donato's. Their Mariachi is good, but the after effects... well, I won't go there.
Mwolf9304
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/07/17 03:02:43 (permalink)
I am going to be completely honest with everyone here. I was traveling throught NJ wen i decided to stop off for a slice of pizza. i stopped in a small town by the name of Bogota. I stopped off in this small place known as Angelo's Pizza. It was honestly the worst pizza i have ever eaten in my liftime. It tasted like an old deoderant stick. It was stale and had small particles of hair all around it. To top that off, the place smelt like a rodent had just died in there. It was the worst place i have ever eaten!!
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/07/17 03:43:30 (permalink)
Cleveland66's comment about her pizza experience in Paris reminded me of my worst pizza experience in the early 80's in a city immediately to the north of France. I lived in France for about a year that during that time, and I have to say, the pizza in that little cafe was hands down the most disgusting thing I had ever put in my mouth! It was the consistency of cardboard covered with red-tinted library paste...awful!
I did learn, however, that in the south of France, towards the Rivera, you can get fantastic pizza style breads, frequently "a la Nicoise," which involves usually tomato, anchovy, olives, and occasionally, tuna. It probably didn't hurt that Nice ("Nizza") was actually an Italian city until around the end of the nineteenth century.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/07/17 05:20:33 (permalink)
Costco.
thundr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/07/22 17:06:26 (permalink)

I have had a place recommended to me in the Ellisburg Circle Shopping Center in Cherry Hill; I'll get the name and check it out. The person who has made recommendations to me before (ie Chick's) has been right on the money so far.

The best so far for me in South Jersey is Masso's on Route 561 in Gibbsboro.

[/teal][/size=2][/font=Comic Sans MS]

I think we're neighbors. I like Masso's, although its just far enough that usually I just go to Vito's. I know the place in Ellisburg, but I think the best in South Jersey is King of Pizza next by the race track.

I used to live in North Jersey, and the best was in Union, on Springfield Ave, or Vic's in Bradley Beach.
johnnymolson
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/07/22 17:26:15 (permalink)
I took my younger brother to a WWE wrestling show in Albany, NY a few years back. After the show, there was only one pizza place I called that was still delivering. I ordered a pepperoni and bacon pizza. When it arrived, it was covered in NOODLES! That's right, this place adds rigatoni noodles to all their pizzas! Bland as hell, and the noodles get dry and chewy on top from the heat of the pizza oven. Worst pizza EVER!
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/07/22 17:54:06 (permalink)
My worst pizza was my last from Little Ceasar's about 5 or 6 years ago. I said never again. Knoxville has a Cici's pizza and I have not been, I don't see how it can be pizza.
Rt66Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: The worst Pizza you ever ate!! 2005/08/03 22:45:45 (permalink)
The worst Pizza I have ever had at a resturant was the McPizza at McDonalds several years ago. It made the 99 cent Totino's frozen pizzas seem like gourmet. The only McDonalds that I remember having it was at the Six Flags near St Louis. None of the regular McDonalds had it in the area.

As far as chain pizza places, as I saw posted by an earlier poster, Rocky Roccoco was AWFUL! They lasted in the St. Louis area maybe three months before going belly up in the late 80s. The picture of Rocky Roccocco ont he sign looked a lot like famed New Orleans' singer Leon Redbone, as I remember. I think that there may still be at least one former Rocky Roccocco on the area that has been sitting vacant ever since, the rest mostly became other Fast-Food joints; one became a Rax, and then a Fazzolis, another became a Barbecue joint, and another a Hardees.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 19
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1